HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Is there significant data that points towards goalies wearing down...

Old
01-20-2012, 05:01 PM
Sivek

vCash: 500
Is there significant data that points towards goalies wearing down...

I know everyone has heard any bad stretch late in a season by a goalie who plays a ton of games is credited by wearing down, playing too much, etc. but I was wondering if this is more of a narrative to fit the clichéd talking point or if there's data to support this saying.

I've always leaned on the side of this being more of a recognition bias than everything but was looking for some evidence either way.

If I had to guess, I'd go with it being a negligible difference.

So any good articles on this?

Sivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 05:06 PM
Schalkenullvier*

Well it's not exactly what you're looking for, but no cup winning goalie since lockout has played more than 62 RS games. Could indicate that overplaying goalies has negative effect, small sample size though so it's pretty random.

Schalkenullvier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 05:12 PM
Sivek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schalkenullvier View Post
Well it's not exactly what you're looking for, but no cup winning goalie since lockout has played more than 62 RS games. Could indicate that overplaying goalies has negative effect, small sample size though so it's pretty random.
Yeah, I looked at that as well, but the one problem I have with it is whether coaches are affected by hearing about goalies wearing down, so they proactively avoid the discussion by sitting their goalies "x" amount of games.

It's one of those things where I wonder if coaches didn't have to worry about being dragged over the coals by fans, radio, tv personalties, writers, when things go wrong, they would try things a bit more creatively, like a coach in MLB going back to 4 man rotations. If a pitcher gets hurt in a 4 man rotation, everyone will get on the coach and say the 4 man rotation is at fault, not the fact that pitchers get hurt more often than any other position.

I know Miikka Kiprusoff played a ton of games for a pretty long stretch in the early-to-mid 2000's. Might have to look up his monthly splits to find one of the more recent examples of goalies playing a ton of games.

Well for what it's worth, I did some quick (not thorough in the least) looks at MK second half stats. I didn't break it down by year, just career stats so take it with a grain of salt.

His pre all star break stats are 2.44 & .913
His post all star break stats are 2.50 & .914

72 Feb games, MK has 2.24 GAA & .920 S%
106 Mar games, 2.59 & .911
29 Apr games, 2.19 & .921

Last edited by Sivek: 01-20-2012 at 05:20 PM. Reason: stats
Sivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 05:14 PM
du5566*

I don't really want to look it up but there are plenty of examples of Stanley cup winning goalies playing 65 regular season games and 20 playoff games. I know Broduer played 70+ 20+ during his cup run years. I mean I always thought this theory was over rated. Goalies need nights off but if you have a young horse in his prime ride em.....

du5566* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 05:21 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 50
IIRC Marty Brodeur and Grant Fuhr are the only goalies in history to win the Cup after having +70 starts in the regular season.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 06:20 PM
GuineaPig

Here's something relative to your query.

The tl;dr of it is that there's little indication that goalie performance suffers from playing lots of games in a season.

GuineaPig is offline   Reply With Quote