HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

John McCarthy recalled 1/20; reassigned 1/25

Old
01-20-2012, 06:36 PM

vCash: 500
John McCarthy recalled 1/20; reassigned 1/25

per WorSharks radio broadcast

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 06:39 PM
hockeyball

haha, we are so going to lose. We've got 4 good forwards and a whole bunch of grinders and defensive guys. We are turning into last years Leafs.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
haha, we are so going to lose. We've got 4 good forwards and a whole bunch of grinders and defensive guys. We are turning into last years Leafs.
Welcome to our world...right now two of our best forwards aren't even San Jose property

Old
01-20-2012, 06:43 PM
WoostahShaahks

Quote:
And we are playing with 8 defensemen... Welcome to our world.

WoostahShaahks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 06:46 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoostahShaahks26 View Post
And we are playing with 8 defensemen... Welcome to our world.
What a train wreck.

I know it's premature and sounds like negativity, but this whole org is totally hosed this season heh. Worcester is obviously worse off, but I just cant see the Sharks doing anything in the playoffs of note.

I expect a first or second round exit, a mediocre first rounder again (which we'll probably trade at the deadline anyway) and more revamping next season without addressing the real issues (Coaching, depth, speed, etc)

Old
01-20-2012, 06:52 PM
Janney

Quote:
What a train wreck.

I know it's premature and sounds like negativity, but this whole org is totally hosed this season heh. Worcester is obviously worse off, but I just cant see the Sharks doing anything in the playoffs of note.

I expect a first or second round exit, a mediocre first rounder again (which we'll probably trade at the deadline anyway) and more revamping next season without addressing the real issues (Coaching, depth, speed, etc)
You never know what can happen. I doubt Boston would have won the Cup last season had they not acquired Kelly and Peverley. If things can click at the right moment for San Jose, and since they're in a much more comfortable position now compared to last season, there's a great possibility that we can do some damage once everyone is healthy.

Janney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 06:54 PM
bleedteal12

High hopes for the rest of the season. Really.

bleedteal12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by param View Post
You never know what can happen. I doubt Boston would have won the Cup last season had they not acquired Kelly and Peverley. If things can click at the right moment for San Jose, and since they're in a much more comfortable position now compared to last season, there's a great possibility that we can do some damage once everyone is healthy.
San Jose can't make a trade like Kelly's because their up against the NHL contract maximum, so any deal has to be player for player...and the Sharks don't have a Blake Wheeler/Mark Stuart type combo to go get a Peverley.

The cupboard is pretty bare, so trading for an impact player will be tough.

Old
01-20-2012, 07:02 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
San Jose can't make a trade like Kelly's because their up against the NHL contract maximum, so any deal has to be player for player...and the Sharks don't have a Blake Wheeler/Mark Stuart type combo to go get a Peverley.

The cupboard is pretty bare, so trading for an impact player will be tough.
I have no doubt the Sharks have what they need to acquire what they want - they don't need a Bobby Ryan type player, they need a Neilsen type player.

They can trade a pending RFA prospect if they have to open a contract spot.

stalockrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
I have no doubt the Sharks have what they need to acquire what they want - they don't need a Bobby Ryan type player, they need a Neilsen type player.

They can trade a pending RFA prospect if they have to open a contract spot.
Which ones have any value at all?

Old
01-20-2012, 07:05 PM
SnarkAttack
Registered Loser

McCarthy... really swingin' for the fences.

With our defensive depth at this point I may even consider going with Burns as a forward (as he has done it before). Our top 6 is looking impotent with only 4 top 6 forwards at this point and it would add some much needed skill up top. We could definitely make a decent D with Boyle, Braun, Demers, Murray, White, Vlasic.

Edit: Only until we have someone better than Ferriero for the top 6

SnarkAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 07:07 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
Which ones have any value at all?
Who cares if they have value, the team that gets the player doesn't have to qualify them and the salary is minimal - if the Sharks need to include a minor league contract along w/ a pick to get a player they'll figure out how to do it.

Old
01-20-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Who cares if they have value, the team that gets the player doesn't have to qualify them and the salary is minimal - if the Sharks need to include a minor league contract along w/ a pick to get a player they'll figure out how to do it.
The receiving team needs to get some sort of value...expiring contracts have value in the NBA, not so much in hockey.

Old
01-20-2012, 07:13 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
The receiving team needs to get some sort of value...expiring contracts have value in the NBA, not so much in hockey.
Since when does a pick have no value?

Old
01-20-2012, 07:13 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Unconditional waivers? I bet there are a few guys like McLaren who would welcome a chance to sign elsewhere.

Old
01-20-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Unconditional waivers? I bet there are a few guys like McLaren who would welcome a chance to sign elsewhere.
If no one claims him why would anyone sign him this season after that?

Old
01-20-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Since when does a pick have no value?
The pick has value, but the player might actually reduce that value because the receiving team now has to deal with him.

Old
01-20-2012, 07:28 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
The pick has value, but the player might actually reduce that value because the receiving team now has to deal with him.
You're making it sound like that kind of move never happens when it's really not all that abnormal.

Not all teams out there are going to think a player like Sexsmith, Heemskerk, Irwin, Acolatse (to name a few) are totally worthless even if you do.

Old
01-20-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
You're making it sound like that kind of move never happens when it's really not all that abnormal.

Not all teams out there are going to think a player like Sexsmith, Heemskerk, Irwin, Acolatse (to name a few) are totally worthless even if you do.
Every team has an Irwin in their system, so he has virtually no trade value. Sexsmith has some value, but I don't see SJ trading him. Heemskerk has no value at all. Acolatse is likely not on the trading block either.

Old
01-20-2012, 07:40 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
Every team has an Irwin in their system, so he has virtually no trade value. Sexsmith has some value, but I don't see SJ trading him. Heemskerk has no value at all. Acolatse is likely not on the trading block either.
You're completely missing the point which is if the Sharks need to move a player to open up a roster spot they will. There are prospects in the AGL that the Sharks have that other teams might be interested in.

Old
01-20-2012, 07:43 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
All I know is that McCarthy better log healthy minutes on the PK, or I'm going to be very, very pissed.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
You're completely missing the point which is if the Sharks need to move a player to open up a roster spot they will. There are prospects in the AGL that the Sharks have that other teams might be interested in.
But the key there is "will SJ trade them?"...I know fans like to think SJ is all in, but with virtually nothing of significant value in the pipeline if DW blows up what little there is in his prospect pool he better be damn sure he's winning it all now because he's not in a great position to win it in the future by blowing up the organization.

Old
01-20-2012, 07:52 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
But the key there is "will SJ trade them?"...I know fans like to think SJ is all in, but with virtually nothing of significant value in the pipeline if DW blows up what little there is in his prospect pool he better be damn sure he's winning it all now because he's not in a great position to win it in the future by blowing up the organization.
I don't think including Sexsmith (assuming Stalock shows he's healthy) or Heemskerk or Moore or Pelech in a deal is going to blow up the organiztion.

I'm not naive about how Wilson has mortgaged a majority of the future for the present but you really make it sound like there isn't a deal to be made sending, say the #55 pick + Sexsmith for (lets just say) Gaustad...Buffalo is a team that has little goaltending depth. (That's just an example).

It's really not unheard of for a team to take on a player in a deadline trade...I mean, maybe that's where the future considerations they got for Joslin come in.

Old
01-20-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
I don't think including Sexsmith (assuming Stalock shows he's healthy) or Heemskerk or Moore or Pelech in a deal is going to blow up the organiztion.

I'm not naive about how Wilson has mortgaged a majority of the future for the present but you really make it sound like there isn't a deal to be made sending, say the #55 pick + Sexsmith for (lets just say) Gaustad...Buffalo is a team that has little goaltending depth. (That's just an example).

It's really not unheard of for a team to take on a player in a deadline trade...I mean, maybe that's where the future considerations they got for Joslin come in.
We'll see how this all plays out...and I'm not expecting anything very noteworthy to take place that doesn't include Niitty and a decent pick going out.

Old
01-20-2012, 11:19 PM
dmband

Quote:

Sexsmith has no value. In your scenario above, Buffalo d/n value Sesmxith above Leggio or MacIntyre. Assuming Stalock is healthy in all likeiihood Sexsmith gets "loaned" to another AHL team for the playofff run. This helps Sexsmith career and SJ gets nothing out of it.

Irwin is the only player in Worcester with any value at all. He may move at the deadline.

SJ is hosed, If they need to upgrade slots for the cup run, it will come at the expense of picks.

dmband is offline   Reply With Quote