HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Micheal Farber, does anyone like this guy?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-20-2012, 06:40 PM
  #1
sandysan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,489
vCash: 500
Micheal Farber, does anyone like this guy?

How this guy parlayed a job at the gazette to being SI's hockey expert is beyond me but as long as I can remember he has been a grade a d-bag. I can understand that regional announcers can be an acquired taste but I cant see anyone liking this guy, his opinons are inane and only exceeded by the extent of his hackery when he writes.

First he complains that the winter classic is not valid because most players never played outside and now is big complaint about the biggest problem the league faces is the lack of stars. Ive never seen one of his articles and thought it wasnt a gigantic waste of space.

sandysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 06:43 PM
  #2
Shaun
twitter:shaunjamesss
 
Shaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Italy
Posts: 22,745
vCash: 500
I saw it too this guys a complete moron.

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 07:02 PM
  #3
Fire Julien
Registered User
 
Fire Julien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bergen
Country: Norway
Posts: 19,961
vCash: 500
I've been hating this clown and his soft hockey loving ass for over 30 years.

Fire Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 07:05 PM
  #4
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT
 
Buckets and Gloves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,533
vCash: 500
He may be bad... but he isn't Steve Simmonds/Damien Cox bad, those guys are the worst.

Hands down.

Buckets and Gloves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 07:07 PM
  #5
johan f
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 912
vCash: 500
I subscribed on THN in the 90s and have followed most hockey related sites since then, and Farber is just as bad as most of the senior writers. Most of them have not even played hockey.

Only person I respect these days is former ref Fraser who has a column on TSN.
I can recommend his book "final call".

johan f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 07:40 PM
  #6
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School
 
fly4apuckguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Howie View Post
He may be bad... but he isn't Steve Simmonds/Damien Cox bad, those guys are the worst.

Hands down.
Yeah, I agree with this.

Simmonds is the worst. I actually emailed him once to tell him how terrible I thought he was, and he replied with a 2500 word essay on how wrong I am for not seeing things his way and not sharing his good sense of humor.

I find him as funny as a carbuncle.

Farber is bad, too. Cox...also bad.

People complain about Pierre McGuire a lot, but Pierre is an example of a guy who forgot more about hockey this morning than any of these so-called experts will ever know in their collective lifetimes.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 07:52 PM
  #7
Megan Fox
ლ(◉◞౪◟◉ )ლ
 
Megan Fox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,976
vCash: 500
I like him.

Megan Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 07:56 PM
  #8
kovatroll*
David Clarkson ✘👎
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Middle of nowhere
Country: United States
Posts: 1,766
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan Fox View Post
I like him.
Shocker.

kovatroll* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 07:58 PM
  #9
RaskY
GLG
 
RaskY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Leafland
Posts: 10,953
vCash: 500
I like Micheal Farber

RaskY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 08:12 PM
  #10
sandysan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,489
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan Fox View Post
I like him.
Im not trying to flame you or get into it with you but can I ask why ? He's never played the game at any level and most of his pieces come off as a cross of a ken burns documentary and peter griffins " you know what grinds my gears?". Most of the time i read his work and I actually wonder if he's ever actually watched a game in his whole life. In actuality , i seriously question if he actually even likes the game.

There are people who I disagree with but I recognize their talent as a writer/commentator. Farber is not one of them.

sandysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:48 PM
  #11
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,852
vCash: 500
I never liked liked him. I don't understand the fuss over him.

He lost me the year he wrote a big column explaining how the refs favour the Leafs on a nightly basis, yet the Leafs, for the second straight year led the NHL in penalty minutes.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 10:07 PM
  #12
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go
 
MapleLeafsFan4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,575
vCash: 500
Ever since he wrote that article in Sports Illustrated saying how the Leafs were the mosted hated team and a few years later he ranked the 2002 Leafs as one of the top 20 most dirty teams in sports history, I came to the conclusion that he is one of the worst sports writters ever. Plus the fact he is from Montreal makes it even worse because he has all this bias towards the Leafs, so he can't be counted on to write anything that has to do with them.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 10:20 PM
  #13
sandysan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,489
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeafsFan2010 View Post
Ever since he wrote that article in Sports Illustrated saying how the Leafs were the mosted hated team and a few years later he ranked the 2002 Leafs as one of the top 20 most dirty teams in sports history, I came to the conclusion that he is one of the worst sports writters ever. Plus the fact he is from Montreal makes it even worse because he has all this bias towards the Leafs, so he can't be counted on to write anything that has to do with them.
Its not just the leafs, hes equally clueless about pretty much any topic related to hockey. A previous poster got it precisely right, I dont understand the fuss. What amazes me is that some people ( even some who are good writers) seem to universally praise him. I completely dont get it, he comes acoss as an ignoramus.

Him being one of the hockey experts at SI is a match made in heaven, i bet more hockey fans get thir fix from car and driver than sports illustrated. How he got or keeps that job is a complete mystery. Barry melose and a room of drunken monkeys chained to typewriters could put out a better column than Farber.

sandysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 10:28 PM
  #14
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go
 
MapleLeafsFan4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,575
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandysan View Post
Its not just the leafs, hes equally clueless about pretty much any topic related to hockey. A previous poster got it precisely right, I dont understand the fuss. What amazes me is that some people ( even some who are good writers) seem to universally praise him. I completely dont get it, he comes acoss as an ignoramus.
But I think the Leafs are the only team where he has taken the time to write articles why he hates them and etc. That alone proves he has no credit as a writter and the fact he is from Montreal only shows why he is biased.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 10:39 PM
  #15
Syckle78
Registered User
 
Syckle78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Redford, MI
Country: Belgium
Posts: 6,201
vCash: 500
I don't mind Farber, it is Dater on SI that I cannot stand. But nether of them hold a candle to Campbell and Proteau when it comes to modern day troll journalism.

Syckle78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 10:43 PM
  #16
sandysan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,489
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeafsFan2010 View Post
But I think the Leafs are the only team where he has taken the time to write articles why he hates them and etc. That alone proves he has no credit as a writter and the fact he is from Montreal only shows why he is biased.
Id take biased ( because lets face it, most of the regional guys know which side their bread is buttered on) over idiotic any day.

Lots of guys have gruges or favorite teams i can understand this because i would hope that as someone paid to write about he game that they were fans first. I dont get this with farber, he could be writing about anything, from accounting to figure skating.

sandysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 10:47 PM
  #17
Saving Greiss
Trade Malkin???
 
Saving Greiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moncton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,793
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syckle78 View Post
I don't mind Farber, it is Dater on SI that I cannot stand. But nether of them hold a candle to Campbell and Proteau when it comes to modern day troll journalism.
Not renewing my subscription to THN for this reason. That magazine has gone downhill over the past few years

Saving Greiss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 11:02 PM
  #18
Ralph Malfredsson
Megaloblastic maniac
 
Ralph Malfredsson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 862
vCash: 500
Farber vs. Don Cherry regarding the Punch-out in Piestany

Classic Farber

Ralph Malfredsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 11:21 PM
  #19
Human Bean
holy frijoles
 
Human Bean's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: what's it to ya?
Posts: 1,043
vCash: 500
Farber reminds me of a typical whiny east coast liberal, that alone makes me want to punch him in the face.

Human Bean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 12:26 AM
  #20
Keke Mortsons helmet
Registered User
 
Keke Mortsons helmet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Horseshoe Bay BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 658
vCash: 500
I dunno, I think Farber's okay most of the time.

Keke Mortsons helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 12:36 AM
  #21
Ducks DVM
Moderator
There is no grunion
 
Ducks DVM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Long Beach, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,778
vCash: 500
He's frequently horrible. The fact that he's currently trying to characterize the sport as worthless because the games are close and there are no "stars" worth watching makes me think he's just a frustrated NBA fan that can't get a job covering the NBA....

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:37 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.