HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Micheal Farber, does anyone like this guy?

Old
01-20-2012, 06:40 PM
sandysan

vCash: 500
Micheal Farber, does anyone like this guy?

How this guy parlayed a job at the gazette to being SI's hockey expert is beyond me but as long as I can remember he has been a grade a d-bag. I can understand that regional announcers can be an acquired taste but I cant see anyone liking this guy, his opinons are inane and only exceeded by the extent of his hackery when he writes.

First he complains that the winter classic is not valid because most players never played outside and now is big complaint about the biggest problem the league faces is the lack of stars. Ive never seen one of his articles and thought it wasnt a gigantic waste of space.

sandysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 06:43 PM
Shaun
twitter:shaunjamesss

I saw it too this guys a complete moron.

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 07:02 PM
Fire Julien

I've been hating this clown and his soft hockey loving ass for over 30 years.

Fire Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 07:05 PM
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT

He may be bad... but he isn't Steve Simmonds/Damien Cox bad, those guys are the worst.

Hands down.

Buckets and Gloves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 07:07 PM
johan f

I subscribed on THN in the 90s and have followed most hockey related sites since then, and Farber is just as bad as most of the senior writers. Most of them have not even played hockey.

Only person I respect these days is former ref Fraser who has a column on TSN.
I can recommend his book "final call".

johan f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 07:40 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Howie View Post
He may be bad... but he isn't Steve Simmonds/Damien Cox bad, those guys are the worst.

Hands down.
Yeah, I agree with this.

Simmonds is the worst. I actually emailed him once to tell him how terrible I thought he was, and he replied with a 2500 word essay on how wrong I am for not seeing things his way and not sharing his good sense of humor.

I find him as funny as a carbuncle.

Farber is bad, too. Cox...also bad.

People complain about Pierre McGuire a lot, but Pierre is an example of a guy who forgot more about hockey this morning than any of these so-called experts will ever know in their collective lifetimes.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 07:52 PM
Megan Fox
ლ(◉◞౪◟◉ )ლ

I like him.

Megan Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 07:56 PM
kovatroll*
David Clarkson ✘👎

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan Fox View Post
I like him.
Shocker.

kovatroll* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 07:58 PM
RaskY
GLG

I like Micheal Farber

RaskY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 08:12 PM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan Fox View Post
I like him.
Im not trying to flame you or get into it with you but can I ask why ? He's never played the game at any level and most of his pieces come off as a cross of a ken burns documentary and peter griffins " you know what grinds my gears?". Most of the time i read his work and I actually wonder if he's ever actually watched a game in his whole life. In actuality , i seriously question if he actually even likes the game.

There are people who I disagree with but I recognize their talent as a writer/commentator. Farber is not one of them.

Old
01-20-2012, 09:48 PM
RogerRoeper*

I never liked liked him. I don't understand the fuss over him.

He lost me the year he wrote a big column explaining how the refs favour the Leafs on a nightly basis, yet the Leafs, for the second straight year led the NHL in penalty minutes.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 10:07 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

Ever since he wrote that article in Sports Illustrated saying how the Leafs were the mosted hated team and a few years later he ranked the 2002 Leafs as one of the top 20 most dirty teams in sports history, I came to the conclusion that he is one of the worst sports writters ever. Plus the fact he is from Montreal makes it even worse because he has all this bias towards the Leafs, so he can't be counted on to write anything that has to do with them.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 10:20 PM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeafsFan2010 View Post
Ever since he wrote that article in Sports Illustrated saying how the Leafs were the mosted hated team and a few years later he ranked the 2002 Leafs as one of the top 20 most dirty teams in sports history, I came to the conclusion that he is one of the worst sports writters ever. Plus the fact he is from Montreal makes it even worse because he has all this bias towards the Leafs, so he can't be counted on to write anything that has to do with them.
Its not just the leafs, hes equally clueless about pretty much any topic related to hockey. A previous poster got it precisely right, I dont understand the fuss. What amazes me is that some people ( even some who are good writers) seem to universally praise him. I completely dont get it, he comes acoss as an ignoramus.

Him being one of the hockey experts at SI is a match made in heaven, i bet more hockey fans get thir fix from car and driver than sports illustrated. How he got or keeps that job is a complete mystery. Barry melose and a room of drunken monkeys chained to typewriters could put out a better column than Farber.

Old
01-20-2012, 10:28 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandysan View Post
Its not just the leafs, hes equally clueless about pretty much any topic related to hockey. A previous poster got it precisely right, I dont understand the fuss. What amazes me is that some people ( even some who are good writers) seem to universally praise him. I completely dont get it, he comes acoss as an ignoramus.
But I think the Leafs are the only team where he has taken the time to write articles why he hates them and etc. That alone proves he has no credit as a writter and the fact he is from Montreal only shows why he is biased.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 10:39 PM
Syckle78

I don't mind Farber, it is Dater on SI that I cannot stand. But nether of them hold a candle to Campbell and Proteau when it comes to modern day troll journalism.

Syckle78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 10:43 PM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeafsFan2010 View Post
But I think the Leafs are the only team where he has taken the time to write articles why he hates them and etc. That alone proves he has no credit as a writter and the fact he is from Montreal only shows why he is biased.
Id take biased ( because lets face it, most of the regional guys know which side their bread is buttered on) over idiotic any day.

Lots of guys have gruges or favorite teams i can understand this because i would hope that as someone paid to write about he game that they were fans first. I dont get this with farber, he could be writing about anything, from accounting to figure skating.

Old
01-20-2012, 10:47 PM
Saving Greiss
Trade Malkin???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syckle78 View Post
I don't mind Farber, it is Dater on SI that I cannot stand. But nether of them hold a candle to Campbell and Proteau when it comes to modern day troll journalism.
Not renewing my subscription to THN for this reason. That magazine has gone downhill over the past few years

Saving Greiss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 11:02 PM
Ralph Malfredsson
Megaloblastic maniac

Farber vs. Don Cherry regarding the Punch-out in Piestany

Classic Farber

Ralph Malfredsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 11:21 PM
Human Bean
holy frijoles

Farber reminds me of a typical whiny east coast liberal, that alone makes me want to punch him in the face.

Human Bean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 12:26 AM
Keke Mortsons helmet

I dunno, I think Farber's okay most of the time.

Keke Mortsons helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 12:36 AM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

He's frequently horrible. The fact that he's currently trying to characterize the sport as worthless because the games are close and there are no "stars" worth watching makes me think he's just a frustrated NBA fan that can't get a job covering the NBA....

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote