HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

CBA question: Game start times on back-to-back

Old
01-20-2012, 07:24 PM
bodybreak
We're Back!

vCash: 500
CBA question: Game start times on back-to-back

I thought the latest CBA prevented teams from starting two games within 24 hours. However, perhaps the lingo simply says you can't immediately follow a night game with a day game.

The reason I ask, is that Florida was scheduled to play in Chicago tonight at 7:30pm CT (the start time has since been moved to 8:00pm CT due to inclement weather). The Panthers then hop on a plane and play in Winnipeg at 6:00pm CT tomorrow night.

Similarly, earlier in the year, the Jets had a home game on a Friday night at 7:30pm CT, and then flew to Detroit to play the next night at 6:00pm CT.

bodybreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 07:38 PM
go_leafs_go02

vCash: 695
Toronto's has had a few 7 PM Saturday starts, and then heads down to the southeast to play a 5 PM game in Atlanta (last year) or Carolina...

go_leafs_go02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 08:22 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1433
There have been a few examples where start times of two games on consecutive games have been separated by 22 hours (ex. 7:00 p.m. ET followed by 5:00 p.m. ET). I don't recall the NHL setting a policy within the CBA restricting games to a certain period of time (24 hours, for example). One requirement that is mentioned is that games cannot start prior to 12:00 p.m. in the home city.

There is a clause in the CBA prohibiting travel on days of games when the flight exceeds 2 1/2 hours. That could be used as a guideline in scheduling consecutive games, too, though that is an assumption on my part. It could be the NHL would try to avoid having a team fly more than 2 1/2 hours when that team plays games on consecutive days.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 11:02 PM
bodybreak
We're Back!

For the next CBA, it should be taken in to consideration that having one team get to the hotel at 2am or 4am after a flight (and possibly Customs) so that they can play the following night, while the opposing team has been waiting in said city, makes for not the best hockey to watch.

Looking at Jets games alone this year, Winnipeg is undefeated at home when the visiting team comes in having played the night before. Winnipeg is also winless when they are the team playing the 2nd of back-to-back nights. Overall, schedule and standings-wise, sure it balances out... but it cheapens the product when one team (and it doesn't really bother me which team) gets that kind of intangible advantage. Sure, that example is a relatively small sample size (1 to 2 dozen games), but why not avoid it at all costs?

(I could see perhaps allowing back-to-backs when both teams are doing it, and/or travel time is almost 0. But Florida will be at least the 4th team this season to have played in Chicago the night before playing in Winnipeg. That's rough. Winnipeg also got the advantage of waiting in Colorado while the Avs were playing Minnesota the night before. And now, down the stretch, the Jets have back-to-backs, including 3 games in 4 nights on more weeks than not. Seems a little ridiculous.)

Old
01-20-2012, 11:28 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
The most reasonable way to achieve this would be to extend the NHL season by approximately 2 weeks, 1 extra week in April and about 7 to 10 days in October. Just condense the preseason, making ample use of split squad games. That would do alot to alleviate these back to back games. Because I agree, it does create a major disadvantage for the team on the back end.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 12:46 AM
bodybreak
We're Back!

Did some quick math... At least 25% of Jets games this season will feature Winnipeg or their opponents being on the back end of 2 games in 2 nights.

Old
01-21-2012, 01:44 AM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

does every team still play the same amount of back to backs? I remember it was 18 a few years ago but for some reason remember varying numbers the past year or two.

I like having games on consecutive days so I wouldn't be in favor of delaying the season two weeks (it would also push the SCF into direct competition with NBA finals, right now they end as NBA finals begin).

I'd much more rather a set limit of back to backs (and 3 in 4's) and if possible, some sort of consistency among teams in the division (as in, they all play the same opponents the same amount of times on the second game). Travel consideration would be nice as well. Its not a problem in the northeast (especially for the NY/PA teams) but I remember seeing a few teams had cross-country back to backs which is a little absurd.

DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 09:07 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1433
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
does every team still play the same amount of back to backs? I remember it was 18 a few years ago but for some reason remember varying numbers the past year or two.
No. This is a chart from a Predators' blog that is interesting.

http://www.ontheforecheck.com/2011/1...ugh-road-ahead

Quote:
The table below lays out the travel mileage, number of back-to-back sets (pairs of games played on consecutive nights) and Average Opponent Winning Percentage for each team, broken down by the games they've played so far, and what remains on the schedule. You can click on any column header to re-sort the table by that value.
And here, when the sched was released: http://www.ontheforecheck.com/2011/6...super-schedule

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 01-21-2012 at 09:12 AM.
MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 12:41 PM
barneyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodybreak View Post
Looking at Jets games alone this year, Winnipeg is undefeated at home when the visiting team comes in having played the night before. Winnipeg is also winless when they are the team playing the 2nd of back-to-back nights. Overall, schedule and standings-wise, sure it balances out... but it cheapens the product when one team (and it doesn't really bother me which team) gets that kind of intangible advantage. Sure, that example is a relatively small sample size (1 to 2 dozen games), but why not avoid it at all costs?
For some reason I can't find it on my computer now, but I looked at back-to-back games for the 2008-09 and 2009-10 seasons, and from memory here are the main results:

1) teams don't do systematically worse on the 1st or 2nd game of a back-to-back (vs. a non back-to-back game). in other words your Jets example would be an anomaly or a coincidence.

2) some teams play way more back-to-back games than others, and some teams play against opponents who are on the 2nd game of a back-to-back a lot more often. IIRC, teams like Columbus and Pittsburgh had more home games against teams who were on the 2nd night of back-to-back games (e.g. WC teams on the way to/from an East Coast trip for example, or Montreal on the way to/from a Florida trip).

barneyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 12:52 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
It's supposed to be 22 hours I believe.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote