HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Cole's Plus/Minus - Penguins vs. Habs

Old
01-20-2012, 08:54 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Cole's Plus/Minus - Penguins vs. Habs

Plus

+ DJ Jazzy Jeffrey: What a game by #15. He's still making mistakes, but he brings something our team does not have. I can't place my finger on it, but he just fits this team very well. I'm glad he's getting better every game. You can sense he really wants to be a part of this team.

+ Malkin: As the usual... he's giving this team a chance every night. He's so damn good. He's a team player and his passion can be felt while sitting at home. I absolutely love his passion for the game of hockey right now.

+ Letang: No more arguing on who is the most important dman on our roster. It's #58. He has skill on the back end that we desperately need. I love how strong this guy has become. He's such a monster in the defensive zone. He's physical and mean and that's what we need the most. If everyone played with the tenacity that Letang did, we'd be great in the defensive zone.

+ Battling: I never felt we were out of this game. They are battling hard. The system is no where near full 2009 mode, but the hustle is miles better than 2 weeks ago.

Minus

- Fleury: Not his best game. I know our defense sucked, but 4 goals is pretty tough to give up against that offense. Oh well.. **** happens. #29 will be back to his game on Sunday.

- Defense: I don't want to get into it. From individual play to the system in general.. we suck in the defensive zone. We try to do too much and we stand around. It's bad right now.

- Adams/Sully: Worthless game. Adams used to be strong on the puck and now it seems like he's knocked off the puck every time. Sully is just a disaster. He's turning the puck over left and right. I would cut him tomorrow.

- Defense: Seriously.. they sucked badly.

- Subban: Come on, man. You are going to hurt someone out there with your wreckless play. It's such a ****ing joke.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 08:56 PM

Agreed with everything, except on MAF.. it wasn't his best game, but he did have some big saves. The goals against him were pretty tough and three of them were chances because of some piss poor defense.

Malkin is on another level. He didn't even have his best game, but he tied it up and scored the winner in the shootout. Clutch.

Jeffrey was awesome. Really wanted him to get the trick.

3074326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 08:57 PM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Minus to Bob Gainey for letting the Rags off the hook with that Gomez deal.

froods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 08:58 PM
Moebius

How sick is Jeffrey? He'd make a great left wing for Crosby if they want to keep Kunitz with Malkin, and he seems to keep improving

Moebius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by froods View Post
Minus to Bob Gainey for letting the Rags off the hook with that Gomez deal.
Off the hook? They got a good defenseman out of it.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
nbonaddio
BELLOWS: THE BEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3074326 View Post
Agreed with everything, except on MAF.. it wasn't his best game, but he did have some big saves. The goals against him were pretty tough and three of them were chances because of some piss poor defense.

Malkin is on another level. He didn't even have his best game, but he tied it up and scored the winner in the shootout. Clutch.

Jeffrey was awesome. Really wanted him to get the trick.
Agree. I wouldn't plus MAF - maybe for the shootout part - but I don't think he's a minus, either. He's had a heavy workload and a majority of the goals, you can't call him out on.

nbonaddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 08:59 PM
TheDudeAbides

Wow, what an amazing comeback. I thought the game was done at 4-2. Dustin Jeffrey finally getting the monkey off his back and getting the points he has deserved for a few games now. What can I say about Evgeni Malkin, the guy is the best. Wow, 5 in a row, what a great feeling.

TheDudeAbides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 08:59 PM
Sty1877

+ Amazing Game
+ Amazing Crowd

I wish every game was that lively.

Sty1877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:01 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

You have defense twice and deserving.

The gutted out a come from behind.

Definitely Jeffrey's best game as a Pen.

Geno, Neal, Kunitz is thriving, but Kunitz needs to lay off the penalty minutes.

Le...Tang is a machine too.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:02 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

+ Malkin, no need to explain
+ Letang, see Malkin
+ Jazzy Jeff, see Letang
+ MAF, was left out to dry all night by his team and came up huge at the end of the 2nd and in the SO. 4 GA doesn't look good on paper but if you watch the goals it's hard to blame him
+ Tangradi in the first 2 periods, could have had a fet points

- Z on the 2nd goal, just terrible
- Engo on the 1st goal, bad turnover
- Clearing the zone in general, it's just that bad
- Anyone giving MAF a minus. Seriously guys
- Not playing Tangradi after about the half way mark. He was playing great.

----Malkin on the left boards on the PP. waste of a PP

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:03 PM
66-29-33

Is this the year Geno has 50 goals? i hope so....

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:06 PM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
Off the hook? They got a good defenseman out of it.
Exactly. The Rangers got rid of the worst contract in hockey and got McDonagh. I would say that is even better then letter them off the hook!

froods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:06 PM
Jag68Sid87

Nice to see Geno singlehandedly turn a loss into a win, albeit in a shootout. I don't understand why we always look so ordinary against Mtl, but at least we escaped with the win.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:07 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Plus

+ DJ Jazzy Jeffrey: What a game by #15. He's still making mistakes, but he brings something our team does not have. I can't place my finger on it, but he just fits this team very well. I'm glad he's getting better every game. You can sense he really wants to be a part of this team.

+ Malkin: As the usual... he's giving this team a chance every night. He's so damn good. He's a team player and his passion can be felt while sitting at home. I absolutely love his passion for the game of hockey right now.

+ Letang: No more arguing on who is the most important dman on our roster. It's #58. He has skill on the back end that we desperately need. I love how strong this guy has become. He's such a monster in the defensive zone. He's physical and mean and that's what we need the most. If everyone played with the tenacity that Letang did, we'd be great in the defensive zone.

+ Battling: I never felt we were out of this game. They are battling hard. The system is no where near full 2009 mode, but the hustle is miles better than 2 weeks ago.

Minus

- Fleury: Not his best game. I know our defense sucked, but 4 goals is pretty tough to give up against that offense. Oh well.. **** happens. #29 will be back to his game on Sunday.

- Defense: I don't want to get into it. From individual play to the system in general.. we suck in the defensive zone. We try to do too much and we stand around. It's bad right now.

- Adams/Sully: Worthless game. Adams used to be strong on the puck and now it seems like he's knocked off the puck every time. Sully is just a disaster. He's turning the puck over left and right. I would cut him tomorrow.

- Subban: Come on, man. You are going to hurt someone out there with your wreckless play. It's such a ****ing joke.
Cole, you really finding goals coming off IN-zone coverage?

To me, it's coming off some bad clears, and plays exactly like the second goal where someone mishandles a pass and it goes the other way.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:08 PM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

Just imagine if we had this Geno and the 66 in 41 Sid playing together.

Nevermind, don't do it, it'll only hurt you!

M0NTY26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:09 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Plus

Minus

I agree with everything but Fleury...one of the goals was a complete fluke and the other three he was left out to dry on. Way too many rushes allowed tonight...it was eerily similar to that playoff series except for that feeling that we weren't out of it...the Habs are cold and playing their back-up, we're playing hot...it just felt like this game was going to be won by the Penguins no matter what to me...and it's been a long time since I've felt that. Maybe Budaj had something to do with that...

Fleury gets an = from me. It would have been nice had he made an amazing save on one of those goals, but the fact remains he was a wall after that 4th goal. Had we pulled him there for Johnson I don't think we'd have won this game.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SaintRon

+ Jeffrey
+ Geno
+ Letang

- refs were atrocious tonight
+ make up calls in the third

- Subban - Kicking the skate out from under another player. Glad Kuni wasn't hurt.
+ Gomez plays for the other team. Hasn't scored since the 8th grade picnic... Nice to hear a Lange line used by the crew.

- NHL.com has the Caps losing 3-0 on the score board and right next to Geno's heroics is a tab titled, Caps bounce Canes with a pic of Staal and Jussi celebrating a goal. How is that possible if they were shut out?

- Team D. Support was there at times and other times non-existent. Too many guys leaving the zone early.

A great win down 4-2.

Last edited by SaintRon: 01-20-2012 at 09:20 PM.
SaintRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
66-29-33

Quote:
Just imagine if we had this Geno and the 66 in 41 Sid playing together.

Nevermind, don't do it, it'll only hurt you!
Dude....i already have a ****in migrane, don't make it any worse.

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:10 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

+ Kunitz isn't hurt. That looked so much worse than most of the plays our guys get injured on

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:10 PM
Boocock

I honestly don't know if I'd rather have Dustin Jeffrey man the third line when Staal and Crosby or healthy, breaking up 3C, or have him on Crosby's wing, like Moebius suggested.

But yeah, as much as I wanted to see Tangradi succeed, it's easy to see why Jeffrey is in a completely different league.

The plus sign goes to:

Dustin Jeffrey, for taking over for the Pens when they weren't playing their best.

Evgeni Malkin, for taking over the game when the Pens needed clutch play.

Kristopher Letang, for making some jaw dropping plays on the offensive and defensive sides.

Important even signs go to:

Pascal Dupuis, who has basically disappeared but still remains in the right spot from a position spot to not hurt the team.

Richard Park, who didn't do anything exceptional, but was able to fall back and prevent Canadiens rushes at the Penguins blue line with the defense while the other forwards were at the Canadiens blue line.

Joe Vitale, for playing his usual game and drawing a penalty.

Paul Martin, surprisingly, for his aggressive play on both sides. Really starting to notice him more. He's responding to critics the same way Orpik did. He's making some mistakes, which are aggravating.

Chris Kunitz, who might have roughed up Pacioretty a bit. He falls due to that boarding penalty. No, it wasn't boarding. But, it was a late hit. Otherwise, he was solid.

The minus sign goes to:

Steve Sullivan, who makes too many offensive mistakes and can't play with the same physical edge he showed off against the Rangers last night.

PK Subban, for the slew foot. Jeez man.

Craig Adams, for making too many mistakes when he has great opportunities.

One more note: Alexei Emelin and Eric Tangradi were tied up. Tangradi came back and couldn't put home a huge opportunity (it looked like Vitale might have hurt that chance) He didn't return during the third period.

What played more of a factor, the muffed chance or the possible injury?

Boocock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:12 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Nice to see Geno singlehandedly turn a loss into a win, albeit in a shootout. I don't understand why we always look so ordinary against Mtl, but at least we escaped with the win.
That 4th goal deflated us, and Montreal had the better of the play for the last 10 minutes of the third.

I mean think about it, they had 4 scoring chances and 4 goals, something we've seen far too often this year. We had a ton of chances with guys whiffing in the slot and being left alone in front of the net.

It sucks when you look at scoreboard and think we were dominated or something, but I'm sorry, that was some bad luck and yes, some sloppy play, but even part of that was just trying to get back in the game, especially on the 4th goal.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:12 PM
Trepanated

+ stroking the furry wall

Trepanated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:14 PM
Fogel
Analytics please

GDT makers should start referring to PK Slewfoot.

Fogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:16 PM
Lionel Hutz

+ gomez? Seriously, putting gomez in the shootout with the game on the line? Really?

Lionel Hutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:17 PM
SaintRon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogel View Post
GDT makers should start referring to PK Slewfoot.
+1 I like it

SaintRon is offline   Reply With Quote