HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Gloves Help

Old
01-22-2012, 11:41 PM
cheap77
Go Kings!

vCash: 500
Gloves Help

I need to buy some hockey gloves. I have no idea what I'm looking for. I don't know what sizes to look for and I don't know what to do. There aren't any places in my town with a decent selection of gloves so that leaves online.

I currently have an old rented pair of gloves and they are terrible. They rub against my knuckles and make my hands bleed sometimes. They seem to be a bit small more me, but not by much. I have tiny hands to begin with.

The only tag on my current gloves says 12" - 30.5 CM. I don't know what that means so any help would be great.

Thanks.

cheap77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:38 AM
Doughnuts08

How tall are you? I just picked up pair of Bauer 4-roll pro's in 14" length, and I love em.

Doughnuts08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:58 AM
beth

I've got little girl hands and I wear 13" gloves. So I'm guessing if you're also an adult then these are too small for you.

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 09:42 AM
SouthpawTRK

Since your options are to buy online, I would suggest to order multiple sizes of one style (i.e. Bauer 4 roll); one size 13" and one size 14".

Once you get the gloves, try them on and see how your fingers fit; is there too much room, too little room, or is it just the right length.

Once you have found a size that works, just make sure that you take care of the gloves. Let them air dry (don't let them fester in your hockey bag between games) and I wouldn't recommend leaving them in direct sunlight either.

Best of luck with the search for a new pair of mitts!

Last edited by SouthpawTRK: 01-24-2012 at 11:01 AM.
SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 10:39 AM
AIREAYE

Gloves are not sized according to your height but to your hand. I would go with what SouthpawTRK suggested and grab two pairs. The sizing also should not correspond with how the fit with your elbow pads but to this method:

Try on the 13" and push your hands all the way into your gloves while keeping your fingers straight. Open up your palms and give your finger tips a very small wiggle. Your finger tips should not be pushing out of the gusset, that is too small and is a safety concern with slashes. Your fingers should also not be too far back in the finger channel either. Anywhere between skimming the tips of the glove to a bit further back is up to you. Kids should obviously have a little bit of excess room for growing.

The coverage between your glove cuff (which varies according to model, some have more and some have less) and elbow can be remedied with slash guards and should not be your primary concern, though it definitely is important.

Hockey glove nowadays come in 3 types of 'fit' : loose (traditional 4-Roll), tapered (tight on your fingers but loose on your wrist and lower palm) and anatomical (close fitting all around)

It's purely personal preference as to what you'd like. If you want to try the 4 Roll design, look at Bauer's 4 Roll Pro and Elite, Reebok's 9/7/5000 series, Easton Synergy/EQ series, most Eagles or the CCM 4 Roll.

If you want to try a tapered fit, go for the Bauer Vapor series, CCM U+ series or the Warrior Luxe/Surge/Burn.

Anatomically, you could try the Bauer Supreme series, Easton Stealth (post 2008), Reebok Kinetic Fit series ( _ K), Eagle Talon, or the Warrior Projekt/Koncept to name a few.

Obviously the more you pay for the better quality of materials and the better protection.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 11:21 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Check the gear guide up top for more info, but Air nailed it as usual.

Bauer 4-Rolls are probably my favorite gloves on the rack as they tend to be forgiving of fit. Yes they are loose and run a hair big (not as bad with the newer models), but I prefer a tight fit and even I like those gloves. Protection is outstanding as well. No gimmicks, a really good price, just a solid glove.

Even if they don't have a great selection locally, I'd try on all the gloves you can find to get a general idea of fit. You want to put them on, make a fist, and have the fingers just be touching the end give or take a hair. If they aren't touching, they're too big. If it feels tight and/or hurts, they're too small.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 11:34 AM
SouthpawTRK

Here's a good link in regards to glove sizing:

http://www.icewarehouse.com/custserv...y/rhglove.html

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote