HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Hockey Sense

Old
01-20-2012, 09:50 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Hockey Sense

Obviously, this is just kind of hard to explain, but have you ever noticed your hockey sense?

There's probably about once every few games where I'll come in hard on a forecheck and just somehow know what the defenseman (with the puck) will do and how to react. More than a couple times it's resulted in some wicked goals. I wish it happened a lot more often, but it just happens. I don't think about it or anything, just see and know.

Anyone else ever get this?

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 12:08 AM
shawn1331

Not trying to brag but yeah everytime I touch the puck I see it all in slow-mo and every pass comes really easy to me. I could have been a great hockey player but I didn't develop as fast as the other kids physically so when they were getting taller I was still barely 5ft and 100 lbs. Now I'm starting to catch up as I'm 5'9 and 130 lbs but it's pretty late.

I think I developed this though because for my first few years of hockey all I tried to do was NOT turn the puck over under any circumstance even if that meant getting nailed. So now I almost never turn it over even against high level players and I make the good pass on the tape under pressure so thats pretty neat.

I often suprise myself.

shawn1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 12:14 AM
vexXed

I guess it is instinct reacting to the situation you are in and it can be developed over time. You will notice the body positions of the opposing players, where their sticks are, the passing lanes to intercept, how fast you are going and in a split second, you think to yourself what needs to be done and you react. You can surprise yourself at times too by doing said reaction to get past multiple guys at a time. The feeling is great!

Not only taking away pucks from their blueline but deking around many players in the offensive zone and having the patience to dish out a good pass is hockey sense. Getting open in the right space, seeing the play before it happens is key. I try to work on it but some people just 'get it' while others will take a lot longer to learn it.

vexXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 11:50 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Once I stopped trying to get rid of the puck as soon as I got it, I started developing it. A lot of times I know exactly what I want to do but don't have the physical skills to do it. Still am not good at seeing passing options though.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote