HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Two teams interested in Moore before deadline

Closed Thread

Old
01-18-2012, 07:33 AM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

vCash: 500
Two teams interested in Moore before deadline

Sens fan here. Don't know if this has been posted already. Pierre MacGuire was just on Ottawa radio, saying that there are currently two teams talking trade with Tampa about Dominic Moore. He says they're trying to get him before the deadline, and that both teams are going to be "very good" in the playoffs.

Speculate away. Mods, please delete if already posted.

Old
01-18-2012, 07:42 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dblad the Impaler View Post
Sens fan here. Don't know if this has been posted already. Pierre MacGuire was just on Ottawa radio, saying that there are currently two teams talking trade with Tampa about Dominic Moore. He says they're trying to get him before the deadline, and that both teams are going to be "very good" in the playoffs.

Speculate away. Mods, please delete if already posted.
If these teams are going to be 'very good' in the playoffs, why do they need Moore? Given that these teams are going be be so good in the playoffs, why would we then want to trade him since we haven't given up hope on making the playoffs ourselves?

Last edited by Felonious Python: 01-18-2012 at 07:54 AM.
Old
01-18-2012, 08:15 AM
Benders Lindyhop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
If these teams are going to be 'very good' in the playoffs, why do they need Moore? Given that these teams are going be be so good in the playoffs, why would we then want to trade him since we haven't given up hope on making the playoffs ourselves?
One nice win against the Bruins didn't suddenly propel us back into a playoff position. It pulled us out of the basement and that's about it.

I like Moore, I'd like to see him stay here if circumstances were a bit different. As it is, if SFY can get good value for him, pull the trigger. We need to be thinking a little bit further into the future than this spring.

Old
01-18-2012, 08:27 AM
BoltSTH

Last trade deadline was the first time for several years Moore was not traded. If we could get what we got for Halpern (2nd and and a throw in Purcell if I remember correctly) I would take it an run. UFA at end of the year so he can always come back.

Old
01-18-2012, 08:54 AM
I Am Beat You

It would be pretty foolish not to trade him unless we either go on a miraculous winning streak immediately or are completely underwhelmed by offers.

Last edited by I Am Beat You: 01-18-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old
01-18-2012, 09:01 AM
LightningStrikes
SFY

vCash: 50
I bet there are more teams interested in him.

Old
01-18-2012, 09:17 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
One nice win against the Bruins didn't suddenly propel us back into a playoff position. It pulled us out of the basement and that's about it.

I like Moore, I'd like to see him stay here if circumstances were a bit different. As it is, if SFY can get good value for him, pull the trigger. We need to be thinking a little bit further into the future than this spring.
I'm not suggesting that it did, but we're not at the point where you can stick a fork in us, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
I bet there are more teams interested in him.
Well, he's already played for a 1/3rd of the league, so they might not want to admit it.

The way I'd phrase it is, does a player fit in our long term plans (whatever that may entail) and Moore does.

Kubina doesn't, Ohlund probably doesn't, Roloson never really did, but he was only supposed to be a band-aid, and I could go either way with Purcell and maybe even Downie. Malone does if he keeps up this level of play we basically never see out of him, but if you remove Moore from his line, does Malone just go back to being an overpaid grinder? I think he's been here long enough to say that he would, and in all likelihood, will.

If we get another silver bullet to kill a contract like the last CBA, would we use it on Malone?

Last edited by Felonious Python: 01-18-2012 at 09:26 AM.
Old
01-18-2012, 09:56 AM
I Am Beat You

You're on the fence with Downie and Purcell but feel Moore is in our long term plans? He's a 3rd line center and an upcoming UFA, let's try and be realistic here. There's no doubt that Moore has done a great job for us, but his play hasn't been as good as last year and the market for players who could take his spot isn't anything to scoff at. In fact, there's a good chance we pursue him again once/if he becomes a UFA. If we can manage a 2nd rounder or something similar in value for him (or possibly even better), it'll likely help us going forward more than a 31 year old 3rd line center who will almost certainly be adequately replaced or reacquired in the offseason anyway.

Old
01-18-2012, 10:02 AM
The Yzerplan
Not enough goalies

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alaskan Assassin View Post
You're on the fence with Downie and Purcell but feel Moore is in our long term plans? He's a 3rd line center and an upcoming UFA, let's try and be realistic here. There's no doubt that Moore has done a great job for us, but his play hasn't been as good as last year and the market for players who could take his spot isn't anything to scoff at. In fact, there's a good chance we pursue him again once/if he becomes a UFA. If we can manage a 2nd rounder or something similar in value for him (or possibly even better), it'll likely help us going forward more than a 31 year old 3rd line center who will almost certainly be adequately replaced or reacquired in the offseason anyway.
I agree.

Old
01-18-2012, 11:16 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

I don't think you're appreciating the attributes Dominic Moore brings. He makes his linemates better. That's so ****ing golden, you don't just give him away for ****ing nothing.

Old
01-18-2012, 11:23 AM
BoltSTH

It's a rental. If you can get another 2nd round pick it is a no brainer IMO. He is UFA so he can always be brought back.

Old
01-18-2012, 11:25 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltSTH View Post
It's a rental. If you can get another 2nd round pick it is a no brainer IMO. He is UFA so he can always be brought back.
How often do players that are 'rented' out actually go back to their former team?

And again, why should we be sellers?

Old
01-18-2012, 11:47 AM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

Quote:
How often do players that are 'rented' out actually go back to their former team?

And again, why should we be sellers?
because we ****ing suck

Old
01-18-2012, 11:53 AM
Benders Lindyhop

Quote:
I don't think you're appreciating the attributes Dominic Moore brings. He makes his linemates better. That's so ****ing golden, you don't just give him away for ****ing nothing.
Who says to give him away for nothing?

If you can get a good return, you trade him. I'd personally rather wait for the deadline #1)to see if the Bolts can in fact go on some sort of insane run in the month or so before TD and #2) to better gauge the interest and perhaps push up the price to get him. But he's hardly untouchable.

Old
01-18-2012, 12:10 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

I would actually be more inclined to deal Purcell rather than Moore. We have nobody who really projects to be a third line center that is ready and Dom fills that spot nicely. If you deal Purcell, too, that ice time can be turned to Connolly (or possibly Ashton, or Conacher once signed).

Not to mention i'd imagine Dom would come cheaper than Teddy.

Old
01-18-2012, 12:23 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Don't wanna trade Moore unless it's a "blow SFY's socks off" deal. Rather keep him then re-sign him.

Old
01-18-2012, 12:27 PM
ultra63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genius Brian Lawton View Post
I would actually be more inclined to deal Purcell rather than Moore. We have nobody who really projects to be a third line center that is ready and Dom fills that spot nicely. If you deal Purcell, too, that ice time can be turned to Connolly (or possibly Ashton, or Conacher once signed).

Not to mention i'd imagine Dom would come cheaper than Teddy.
Most teams would rather have the more useful Moore

Old
01-18-2012, 12:29 PM
TheDaysOf 04
a new era

I'd like to keep him. Boucher loves him, and Moore is a good 3rd line center. Stats aren't as good as last season, but he's still a very versatile player and a really good fit here. He's replaceable and we could get a good deal for him but then that creates another hole that needs to be fixed through free agency. It would be easier to re-sign him, which wouldn't be a problem, and then not have to possibly overpay for someone new in the off season.

Old
01-18-2012, 12:45 PM
Drouin2Stamkos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
I'd like to keep him. Boucher loves him, and Moore is a good 3rd line center. Stats aren't as good as last season, but he's still a very versatile player and a really good fit here. He's replaceable and we could get a good deal for him but then that creates another hole that needs to be fixed through free agency. It would be easier to re-sign him, which wouldn't be a problem, and then not have to possibly overpay for someone new in the off season.
This ^

Old
01-18-2012, 01:15 PM
I Am Beat You

Quote:
He's a good 3rd line center, but is an upcoming UFA and I sure as hell don't value him more than our young, talented top six wingers who are only going to get better. I realize what Moore brings to the table and he's an effective player, but I think you are overvaluing him pretty significantly, and your last statement is bordering on silly.

We are 2nd last in our conference and past the halfway mark of the season. Unless we go on an absolute tear, we will be sellers. If we can land something of value for a 31 year old bottom sixer who is an upcoming UFA, it's a smart move. Far better players than Moore who are also upcoming free agents will be dealt, likely from better teams than us. It's part of the business. It also fits into Yzerman's plan of building through the draft and strengthening our system, and the more picks we have, the more options Yzerman has to play with in the offseason.

Lastly, the UFA market has a number of players who could fill that hole adequately. As much as Moore has been effective for us and fits into our system, he is replaceable. And who knows, if he does hit the market, maybe he would be willing to come back. I don't see us making the playoffs with or without him, so if he still has a place in his heart for this team I'm sure Yzerman will be in contact once July rolls around.

Edit- Another thing that will impact whether we trade or keep Moore is what Yzerman decides to do with our other available players. If he manages to deal players such as Clark, Kubina, Shannon etc. and land a decent return, he may then feel content with what we've acquired enough to keep Moore around. However, since the interest in Moore will only increase as the deadline approaches (and I suspect there are more than two teams interested at this point), the offers will likely get better and better, and I'd say there's a good chance a team will overpay for his services.

Last edited by I Am Beat You: 01-18-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old
01-18-2012, 03:20 PM
Sear91

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alaskan Assassin View Post
He's a good 3rd line center, but is an upcoming UFA and I sure as hell don't value him more than our young, talented top six wingers who are only going to get better. I realize what Moore brings to the table and he's an effective player, but I think you are overvaluing him pretty significantly, and your last statement is bordering on silly.

We are 2nd last in our conference and past the halfway mark of the season. Unless we go on an absolute tear, we will be sellers. If we can land something of value for a 31 year old bottom sixer who is an upcoming UFA, it's a smart move. Far better players than Moore who are also upcoming free agents will be dealt, likely from better teams than us. It's part of the business. It also fits into Yzerman's plan of building through the draft and strengthening our system, and the more picks we have, the more options Yzerman has to play with in the offseason.

Lastly, the UFA market has a number of players who could fill that hole adequately. As much as Moore has been effective for us and fits into our system, he is replaceable. And who knows, if he does hit the market, maybe he would be willing to come back. I don't see us making the playoffs with or without him, so if he still has a place in his heart for this team I'm sure Yzerman will be in contact once July rolls around.

Edit- Another thing that will impact whether we trade or keep Moore is what Yzerman decides to do with our other available players. If he manages to deal players such as Clark, Kubina, Shannon etc. and land a decent return, he may then feel content with what we've acquired enough to keep Moore around. However, since the interest in Moore will only increase as the deadline approaches (and I suspect there are more than two teams interested at this point), the offers will likely get better and better, and I'd say there's a good chance a team will overpay for his services.
Totally agree with you on this one. Moore IS a good 3rd line center and an effective one at that, but the way this season has looked, I would be perfectly okay with dealing him for a decent pick. He is replaceable, and I think someone like Jarret Stoll would be a good replacement for the right price come the off-season.

Old
01-18-2012, 03:31 PM
IdealisticSniper

I would hope Yzerman would keep Moore until the TD unless someone throws something ridiculous at him before the TD to avoid an auction style.

Keeping him until the deadline does a few things. Allows us to see if this team is going to go on a huge run and be in the playoff hunt, in which case we keep him obviously, or if not and we are in the same position as now then we sell, sell everything at the TD.

IMO the goal needs to be get absolutely as many good picks and prospects as we can for any players that other teams call about that are UFA at the end of the season. The only exception is Gilroy who I think needs to be resigned and it would be much harder in the offseason for him I think, so I would resign him unless again, someone offers something ridiculous for him (IE: a first round pick).

Moore WILL get a 2nd round pick and a decent prospect IMO, its very very possible he could get us a 1st round pick if there are a few bidders.

I think it will all depend on where we are at come the TD, but I hope he waits until then to make any of those types of deals unless theres a big offer on the table.

Old
01-18-2012, 03:39 PM
hfgreg
Obviously...

I vote to keep him unless he pulls a second and a prospect like halpern did.

Old
01-18-2012, 04:35 PM
newham89

Halpern got a third and a prospect people.

I'd be up for trading him if we are in a similar position in a months time. The optimist in me says that some desperate GM might be willing to part with a 1st for him.

Old
01-18-2012, 05:13 PM
I Am Beat You

I'd be shocked if he landed a 1st. If he landed a 2nd or a 3rd+ I'd be pleased.

Closed Thread