HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Geoff Molson guilty of incompetence?

Old
01-23-2012, 11:50 AM
PATCHESx67

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Incredible the amount of ignorance surrounding this team.

Go Habs Go
relax buddy theres millions of Habs fans,obviously u'll find some idiots like that guy

PATCHESx67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:39 PM
Miller Time

hasn't impressed so far...

how the remainder of this season and this summer go will tells us all we need to know.

if PG makes any more serious blunders in managing our assets, and if he is still the GM come July 1st, then it's pretty clear that Molson is out to lunch.

time will tell.

Miller Time is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:58 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
Wrong.

You know i'm right, stop trolling. The town's team has more a direct connection to the people of that town than outsiders. Sorry but this is true. I'm from Quebec city but I don't have a problem admiting that people from Montreal have more of a say than I am about what they want their team to be. Doesn't mean I love the Habs less. Just that they have that right and that power. And that's the way it should be.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 01:04 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
If anything it makes him less of a fan cause he likely cares about language more than the actual team. If he could have an inferior French coach versus a superior English one, he'd likely choose the francophone even if he was a complete failure, then a few months later he'd be part of the bandwagon that hates on the coach.

When will the Nordiques come back so these people can go back to supporting the team we all know they originally supported?
seeing how obsessed you guys became with the language thing (you're the ones bringing it up all the time btw), lnh could have a team in Laval, Longueuil and Québec and it wouldnt change a thing...

au contraire.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 02:11 PM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulet Kostopoulos View Post
Yes. And he instigated JM's firing. Doubly incompetent. PG was put in the hotseat by that incompetent boss.

I am always suspicious of someone (family) who ran the franchise to the ground, sold it to someone competent, who rebuilt it to an extremely solid business, and that someone comes and buys it back. You are still incompetent. I was worried since day 1 Molson bought the Habs from Gillette. When I expressed that to people, everyone was like "meh". Well, with time, more people will realize how Gillette was a dream owner, compared to the Molson.

Oh and I find it funny that some fans pride themselves at not being satisfied with what the Habs achieved during the Gillette era, arguing that we didn't win a Cup. Talk about hugely inflated sense of entitlement. We are no longer living in the 70's I would like to remind these people.

Yeah you're right, no reason to be pissed off at 20 years without a cup. Thanks for reminding me muppet.

bsl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 02:25 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
[/B]

Yeah you're right, no reason to be pissed off at 20 years without a cup. Thanks for reminding me muppet.
19 years actually...

Old
01-23-2012, 02:44 PM
InglewoodJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
You know i'm right, stop trolling. The town's team has more a direct connection to the people of that town than outsiders. Sorry but this is true. I'm from Quebec city but I don't have a problem admiting that people from Montreal have more of a say than I am about what they want their team to be. Doesn't mean I love the Habs less. Just that they have that right and that power. And that's the way it should be.
No. No. No. You're just wrong. You do know this cultural propaganda around the team only started in the '90s right? The connection of the fan and the team is one that transcends location, especially now in times where networking and the media make it as easy for a Habs fan in London england and a Habs fan from Hochelaga to follow the team just as easily. As a Montrealer (well, I live in the suburbs), I find it completely asinine to judge the value and importance of a fan based on where they're from. Also, fans have zero power. Do you honestly think that these stupid protests or anything are going to change what Molson, or any owner wants? No way they aren't. We'd have a french coach and Vinny Lecavalier if that were true.

I refuse to believe that Joe Smith from North Carolina who has his room decked out in Habs gear is less important than some idiot from Montreal who likes the team when they're winning, and goes to games to get drunk and fight. While those are extremes, the idea that a team's local fanbase is anymore important than someone who for some reason was born somewhere else is ignorant.

InglewoodJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 02:54 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
No. No. No. You're just wrong. You do know this cultural propaganda around the team only started in the '90s right? The connection of the fan and the team is one that transcends location, especially now in times where networking and the media make it as easy for a Habs fan in London england and a Habs fan from Hochelaga to follow the team just as easily. As a Montrealer (well, I live in the suburbs), I find it completely asinine to judge the value and importance of a fan based on where they're from. Also, fans have zero power. Do you honestly think that these stupid protests or anything are going to change what Molson, or any owner wants? No way they aren't. We'd have a french coach and Vinny Lecavalier if that were true.

I refuse to believe that Joe Smith from North Carolina who has his room decked out in Habs gear is less important than some idiot from Montreal who likes the team when they're winning, and goes to games to get drunk and fight. While those are extremes, the idea that a team's local fanbase is anymore important than someone who for some reason was born somewhere else is ignorant.

Great post!!!!

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 02:59 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:

you think they spend as much (on average) as those living in Montreal ?

is that what you're trying to say ?

or maybe you're telling us there's also a gazillion Habs fans in England too ?

Old
01-23-2012, 03:36 PM
InglewoodJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post

I'm not saying either of those things. I'm saying that it doesn't matter where a fan lives, he's still a fan, and is equally as important.
If anything, someone following the team from out of the country is far more dedicated than someone living in the city who gets inundated with habs propaganda on the daily.

It's really pathetic how people are actually trying to build some sort of hierarchy of fanbase.

Old
01-23-2012, 03:39 PM
habitue*

Quote:

People paying 250$ tickets, or having seasson's tickets + al those who are paying cable/satellite to watch the Habs on TV have more power than anyone else.

And these peole , like it or not, are made of a clientle 80% at least of French-speaking fans.

How come even Gillette, an American, understood that ?

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:43 PM
InglewoodJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
People paying 250$ tickets, or having seasson's tickets + al those who are paying cable/satellite to watch the Habs on TV have more power than anyone else.

And these peole , like it or not, are made of a clientle 80% at least of French-speaking fans.

I really don't understand what you're trying to say, or the fact that you felt the need to bring up the fact that our team has a very large french-speaking fanbase.

Again, like location, money isn't a factor in fan-worth. In a business sense, yes, but me who's only been to one game in my life is a much larger fan than my old friend who's grandfather was a millionaire who brought him rinkside tickets at least twice a year.

Old
01-23-2012, 03:48 PM
habitue*

Quote:
I really don't understand what you're trying to say, or the fact that you felt the need to bring up the fact that our team has a very large french-speaking fanbase.

Again, like location, money isn't a factor in fan-worth. In a business sense, yes, but me who's only been to one game in my life is a much larger fan than my old friend who's grandfather was a millionaire who brought him rinkside tickets at least twice a year.
Gillette would had not allowed Gauthier to replace Martin by a unilingual coach. The guy knows his clients and business. He knows it darn well, buying the team for 180 million and selling it for over 600... Brilliant.

We just celebrated the 100th Anniversary of this team... What's left of the Flyng Frenchmen ? One rookie (DD) + Darche... OUCH !!!!!

Old
01-23-2012, 03:54 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:

Except the greater Montreal area is only 65% francophone. The actual Island is also less than 50% francophone. But hey, if we're talking about TV revenue, lets not forget anglophones outside the province that actual pay for specific channels on top of more basic Cable packages like TSN-Habs or before that RDS (even if they didn't speak french) exclusively for Habs games. Habs paraphernalia is also sold everywhere, not exclusively in Montreal. There is also a pretty signifcant migration of Habs fans to Montreal to see games, the majority of whom are anglophones (probably from the families that left en masse in the 70's and 80's). Montreal fans travel well, we all know that. It works both ways though. I don't disagree that fans in Montreal likely spend more on the team, but its much easier to be a fan in the city as well. I also don't disagree that French speaking individuals spend a lot on the team, but the team doesn't (and haven't) had to live and die by them.

Stop trying to divide Habs fans into a hierarchy. The Habs are supposed to unite their faithful, no matter the language, local or background (I'd say religion, but its the Church of the Habs for us all). Are you so insecure that you have to try to prove part of the fanbase is more significant than another. That's sad, and embarrassing.

Quote:
Gillette would had not allowed Gauthier to replace Martin by a unilingual coach. The guy knows his clients and business. He knows it darn well, buying the team for 180 million and selling it for over 600... Brilliant.

We just celebrated the 100th Anniversary of this team... What's left of the Flyng Frenchmen ? One rookie (DD) + Darche... OUCH !!!!!
Gillette didn't sell the team to make a profit, he did it because he was going bankrupt and needed to liquidate his assets. As for French Canadian players, management constantly tries to sign/draft them, its not there fault they don't want to sign here/can't handle the pressure of being a young French Canadian on the Habs.

Captain Smurf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:55 PM
InglewoodJack

Quote:

Not the time and place for a political debate, but the identity of the Canadiens has very little to do with a language/culture as much as it has to do with winning championships and having strong goalies. The only reason this team was so Francophone-centric in the 20th century, is because for the most part, those were the players available to us. Richard, Joliat, Vezina, Bélieau, Plante, they were all recruited from Quebec, because that's how you signed players back then. Now, thanks to the introduction of the draft, and the development of hockey markets in Europe, the US and Western Canada, we have a pool of international talent to choose from and it would be foolish to choose someone on culture rather than talent...

Which is a flawed argument looking at the team's current standing, but I promise that this team would crush a team made of all the Quebecers in the NHL. A fault of hockey quebec, and the junior organizations if you ask me.

But this has nothing to do with language, and it seems to me you're trying to bait me into a pointless debate.

Old
01-23-2012, 03:57 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
Except the greater Montreal area is only 65% francophone. The actual Island is also less than 50% francophone. But hey, if we're talking about TV revenue, lets not forget anglophones outside the province that actual pay for specific channels on top of more basic Cable packages like TSN-Habs or before that RDS (even if they didn't speak french) exclusively for Habs games. Habs paraphernalia is also sold everywhere, not exclusively in Montreal. There is also a pretty signifcant migration of Habs fans to Montreal to see games, the majority of whom are anglophones (probably from the families that left en masse in the 70's and 80's). Montreal fans travel well, we all know that. It works both ways though. I don't disagree that fans in Montreal likely spend more on the team, but its much easier to be a fan in the city as well. I also don't disagree that French speaking individuals spend a lot on the team, but the team doesn't (and haven't) had to live and die by them.

Stop trying to divide Habs fans into a hierarchy. The Habs are supposed to unite their faithful, no matter the language, local or background (I'd say religion, but its the Church of the Habs for us all). Are you so insecure that you have to try to prove part of the fanbase is more significant than another. That's sad, and embarrassing.
NO. But numbers speak. If you don't understand the History and the meaning of this franchise for Francophones, inside and outside Quebec, it's your problem.

If you don't understand the basics of good marketing and being close to your fans...That's your problem.

Old
01-23-2012, 03:59 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Not the time and place for a political debate, but the identity of the Canadiens has very little to do with a language/culture as much as it has to do with winning championships and having strong goalies. The only reason this team was so Francophone-centric in the 20th century, is because for the most part, those were the players available to us. Richard, Joliat, Vezina, Bélieau, Plante, they were all recruited from Quebec, because that's how you signed players back then. Now, thanks to the introduction of the draft, and the development of hockey markets in Europe, the US and Western Canada, we have a pool of international talent to choose from and it would be foolish to choose someone on culture rather than talent...

Which is a flawed argument looking at the team's current standing, but I promise that this team would crush a team made of all the Quebecers in the NHL. A fault of hockey quebec, and the junior organizations if you ask me.

But this has nothing to do with language, and it seems to me you're trying to bait me into a pointless debate.
My God. You're hard headed.

Old
01-23-2012, 04:02 PM
InglewoodJack

Quote:
My God. You're hard headed.
It's true though. It isn't to the detriment of anglo, american, European, Asian, other Canadian fans that someone has the resources to unload a ridiculous amount of money on their team, or who finds cultural identity in a sports franchise.

In sports, there are a few international teams. Off the top of my head, The New York Yankees, The Dallas Cowboys, The Notre Dame Fighting Irish, Man U, CFC, Real Madrid, The Montreal Canadiens. Due to their team's success and storied history, they're enjoyed by people from all walks of life. And without giving you a well-thought out post, I'll give you the skinny: you aren't more important than any other fan; deal with it.

Old
01-23-2012, 04:05 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
NO. But numbers speak. If you don't understand the History and the meaning of this franchise for Francophones, inside and outside Quebec, it's your problem.

If you don't understand the basics of good marketing and being close to your fans...That's your problem.
I understand its history for francophones. Do you understand that francophones aren't being discriminated against anymore. If they were, we'd be able to have a whole lot more on our team. It's not the 1950's anymore. I also understand the values of good marketing, but this isn't Toronto. You can have a completely bilingual organization, if you don't win, the fans wont show up. It certainly doesn't help when the organization weakens itself by ignoring ultra-qualified individuals based on language. Boivin and Lafleur have admitted as much. Anyway, I'm not the one that constantly turns every argument into a language debate or Francophone fans>all other fans.

Captain Smurf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 04:20 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
I'm not saying either of those things. I'm saying that it doesn't matter where a fan lives, he's still a fan, and is equally as important.
If anything, someone following the team from out of the country is far more dedicated than someone living in the city who gets inundated with habs propaganda on the daily.

It's really pathetic how people are actually trying to build some sort of hierarchy of fanbase.
trying replacing the word fans with clients, maybe you'll get what we're saying

Old
01-23-2012, 04:24 PM
InglewoodJack

Quote:
trying replacing the word fans with clients, maybe you'll get what we're saying
There are more "local" clients than the team can handle (as is demonstrated by waiting lists for tickets, etc.) and many of them will watch any team or anything on ice. Snubbing people due to language or anything will not hurt the team.

Old
01-23-2012, 04:34 PM
Ubercron9000

Quote:
It's true though. It isn't to the detriment of anglo, american, European, Asian, other Canadian fans that someone has the resources to unload a ridiculous amount of money on their team, or who finds cultural identity in a sports franchise.

In sports, there are a few international teams. Off the top of my head, The New York Yankees, The Dallas Cowboys, The Notre Dame Fighting Irish, Man U, CFC, Real Madrid, The Montreal Canadiens. Due to their team's success and storied history, they're enjoyed by people from all walks of life. And without giving you a well-thought out post, I'll give you the skinny: you aren't more important than any other fan; deal with it.
I agree with you. On the bolded part. I just want to know if jose mourinho(real madrid manager) speaks spanish?

Honestly though the players dont speak french and even if they were to learn french they would still rather be spoken to in english to understand the coach. The coach speaks english to the players. And the media could easily translate what the coach says. Although I do guess the coach has to be the one adressing the public so its important more so than the GM.

The General Manager imo should not be required to speak french, bilingual what ever.

Anyways this arguement is whats causing the montreal canadiens to fail.

Ubercron9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 04:36 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubercron9000 View Post
I agree with you. On the bolded part. I just want to know if jose mourinho(real madrid manager) speaks spanish?

Honestly though the players dont speak french and even if they were to learn french they would still rather be spoken to in english to understand the coach. The coach speaks english to the players. And the media could easily translate what the coach says. Although I do guess the coach has to be the one adressing the public so its important more so than the GM.

The General Manager imo should not be required to speak french, bilingual what ever.

Anyways this arguement is whats causing the montreal canadiens to fail.
Yeah, I know, if it wasnt for the languague "issue", we'd be contenders...

Old
01-23-2012, 04:56 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:

Money spent does not make you a better fan than any other fan.

That is a prejudicial and narrow minded way of looking at sports and the people who follow them.

Just to aggravate you, I am going to cheer extra hard for the Habs since I have not been to Montreal this year. I did buy a new Habs sweater online though.

Old
01-23-2012, 05:04 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:

And fans had what influence on that decision?

You are confusing the power of fans and the power of the General Manager.

Fans are basically powerless. Season ticket holders cannot give Molson a call and tell him what they want and then have Molson do it. Only the GM can.

I see where ECHL is going with his posts. Out of town and especially out of country Habs fans are not equal nor worthy because of the lack of "Québécois French" in our vocabulary.

But its easier to say that we dont spend as much money.........