HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why is it that Auld can't

Closed Thread

Old
10-14-2004, 01:11 AM
Russian_fanatic

vCash: 500
Why is it that Auld can't

Play in the AHL, but he plays spectacular in the NHL?

Old
10-14-2004, 01:20 AM
edler von real gud

vCash: 380
Send a message via MSN to edler von real gud
it's early my friend, it's early. If you are referring to the past couple years, perhaps he's the type of goalie who gets hotter as the year goes on (which could explain his success with the Canucks at the end of the year, and his struggles with the Moose at the start of seasons). It probably also doesn't hurt to get to work with a goaltending coach every day up in the NHL as well.

Old
10-14-2004, 01:20 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian_fanatic
Play in the AHL, but he plays spectacular in the NHL?
Vancouver's defense IMO. Whenever Auld is in net, the Canucks' have played a strict defensive game in front of him, limiting the opposition's scoring chances. Auld has never really looked spectacular in his time with the Canucks, at least not IMO, but he has put up solid numbers because of how the Canucks have played in front of him.

Old
10-14-2004, 05:29 AM
cyrisweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
Vancouver's defense IMO. Whenever Auld is in net, the Canucks' have played a strict defensive game in front of him, limiting the opposition's scoring chances. Auld has never really looked spectacular in his time with the Canucks, at least not IMO, but he has put up solid numbers because of how the Canucks have played in front of him.
Actually I fully agree.. and the same can be said of Skudra.. he looked pretty good in front of the team. But the difference is that they play a much more loose run and gun offensive style in front of Cloutier(I assume because they really do trust him that he will cover them) where as when they get somebody new they really tend to not take any chances.

Edit: on a side note.. I feel like a brand new poster with this avatar.. I've gone 2000+ posts avatarless

Old
10-14-2004, 06:29 AM
B-rock

In my opinion the jury is still out on Auld. I think he's somewhat overated having proven little to nothing in the minors or in his brief stints in the NHL. He's never stolen the starters position with the Moose according to most Moose followers. I think he's sort of been silver spooned the same way that Cloutier was with the Canucks. I'm glad that Nonis took it upon himself to draft a couple of pretty high quality netminders, of similar age. That way the two of them can battle it out to see who will be number one when the time comes. No more of this "here's our one and only guy that we're going to develop regardless of whether or not he's worth his salt." I like the method of choosing your number one goalie based on the fact that he was the go to guy in pressure situations that could be relied upon to stop the puck. This runs contrary to the recent Canuck goalie rearing tactic of choosing the "goalie of the future" and playing him in situations that he may not have earned. I think the problem basically stems from a barren goaltending cupboard whereby there was just no competition in that position. It's about time Canuck management got their heads out of their ***** and realized that their whole goalie problem was partially due to the fact that they never spent any time or resources developing them in their system.

Old
10-14-2004, 09:02 AM
Pangolin

Goalies needs to be figured out.
The limited numbers of games he played for the Canucks, the other side doesn't have the book on him yet.
New comer goalies usually do well for some games until the book's out and the other coaches see his weaknesses. Then the book's out on him and gets destroyed.
Think Lalime...Played amazingly the first time he was in the NHL, got figured out, everything started to go in, looses confidence, things turns from bad to worse, get barried in the AHL for a few years before he can learn to minimize his mistakes or change his play and back up to the NHL.
Auld's still at the first bit of the process IMO.

Old
10-14-2004, 11:21 AM
Rageinthecage

I agree with the opinions that many Canucks fans may be overestimating Auld's NHL potential. He's only played a limited number of NHL games. The jury is still out on whether he's a bonafide #1 netminder. Let's be patient with him because I have a feeling that his first full year in the NHL could be difficult and filled with growing pains.

The slightly different styles of play between the NHL and AHL have something to do with it as well. Flaherty is a much better and more experienced AHL goalie than Auld. Moose fans have a right to be concerned that Auld is handed the #1 job, while Flaherty is the reigning playoff MVP. However, would Flaherty fare well with the Canucks? I highly doubt it. Same goes for forwards. Jimmy Roy is one of the more valuable players to the Moose for his leadership, grit, experience, and modest production (sort of the Moose's version of Cooke). With Vancouver however, Roy wouldn't contribute anything.

A more pressing concern of our highly ranked prospects is Koltsov. He is absolutely horrible defensively in the AHL. He's only a sophomore I realize, but he simply is getting eaten alive by opposition forwards every game. Even factoring in eventual maturity and improvement, how is his game going to translate to the NHL level? He makes Tverdovsky and Ozolinsh look like stay at home defensemen.

Old
10-14-2004, 01:57 PM
LaVal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
couldn't have said it better.

Old
10-14-2004, 02:02 PM
Reign Nateo

Auld sucks period. He will be exposed as a poor goaltender over the long haul in the NHL. He has poor reflexes and positioning. In my opinion, Auld will never be an NHL starter.

Old
10-14-2004, 02:48 PM
tantalum

Strict defence blah blah blah.

Let's look at the facts:

The sample size is just too small to make any sort of conclusions based on statistics. Auld may have simply been hot for a time skewing the numbers relative to the rest of the NHL as well as his AHL numbers. He has shown the same tendency in the AHL to be hot and cold. He was arguably cold in the Calgary series. With 6 games in a season if he is hot for a few of them or the opposition is lacklustre offensively it skews the numbers greatly...over a full season with a large number of games those things balance out. What I do know is that when he was between the pipes he wasn't asked to do anything more or less than what Dan Cloutier, Petr Skudra, or Martin Brochu have been asked to do. He had nights even in his short stints where he had to do nothing and times when he had to make a number a big saves. Sometimes he made those big saves as in the regular season (minus the Oiler game) and other times he didn't (against Calgary in the playoffs). Most of the time he did make the save.

Will he be a #1? Who knows. We do know he was the #1 last year in Manitoba and had the best stats of the goaltenders on that team. We know even by AHL standards he wasn't good enough as a starter in the number of games he played or in his consistency (that would worry me if there was a NHL season this year with him as backup. I like that he should see a ton of time with the Moose this year and give us a better read). We know that the kid has promise and shows great poise between the pipes. We know that despite those assets if he doesn't play deflections better and get smarter outside the crease he isn't going to amount to much. We also know that he's a hard worker committed to improving his game and working on those aspects.

Old
10-14-2004, 04:47 PM
Mizral

He was Manitoba's MVP last year wasn't he?

I think you have to take into context the team last year when looking at his numbers, and in regards to this year, well, it's very very early.

Old
10-14-2004, 05:34 PM
Rotting Corpse*

Send a message via AIM to Rotting Corpse* Send a message via MSN to Rotting Corpse*
I've seen the fine folks at moosehockey.com (the message board) complain about his goaltending on a number of occasions. I don't think it's a statistical thing.

Old
10-14-2004, 05:53 PM
C'nuckleHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Ryan
I've seen the fine folks at moosehockey.com (the message board) complain about his goaltending on a number of occasions. I don't think it's a statistical thing.
But they also think Kessler sucks. I must admit I'm not impressed with Alex Auld's lateral movement.

Old
10-14-2004, 05:55 PM
mr gib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koltsov
it's early my friend, it's early. If you are referring to the past couple years, perhaps he's the type of goalie who gets hotter as the year goes on (which could explain his success with the Canucks at the end of the year, and his struggles with the Moose at the start of seasons). It probably also doesn't hurt to get to work with a goaltending coach every day up in the NHL as well.
dood has a good point - i watched most of the moose games on sportsnet last year - right up until the nhl playoffs - he wasn't that great -

Old
10-14-2004, 06:00 PM
ping

Alex Auld was asked a question similar to this on Sportsnet a week or two ago. His response was that in the AHL it is more offensive and everyone is going all out trying to score. It's more wild and anything can happen. Whereas in the NHL it is more structured and there are only a handful of guys that will go for the goals, ones you really have to watch for. The rest of the NHL players know their role and it easier to play against them.

Old
10-14-2004, 06:37 PM
Rotting Corpse*

Send a message via AIM to Rotting Corpse* Send a message via MSN to Rotting Corpse*
LOL, so his response is that the NHL is easier than the AHL.

Either he's a moron or that really says something about the state of the NHL.

Old
10-14-2004, 06:45 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

Quote:

Probably just a result of the more defensive gameplan we seem to use when Auld is in net as compared to Cloutier. The only game he's played where the D broke down was Edmonton, and he got lit up. I think Auld would struggle a lot seeing the type of games Cloutier seems to get 1 out of every 2 or 3 games.

Old
10-14-2004, 07:48 PM
LaVal

Quote:

he wouldn't be the first goaltender to say the NHL is easier than the AHL. in fact Martin Brodeur says his hardest days were when he was in the Q.

Old
10-14-2004, 09:05 PM
mr gib

Quote:
Originally Posted by JovOhlund
Alex Auld was asked a question similar to this on Sportsnet a week or two ago. His response was that in the AHL it is more offensive and everyone is going all out trying to score. It's more wild and anything can happen. Whereas in the NHL it is more structured and there are only a handful of guys that will go for the goals, ones you really have to watch for. The rest of the NHL players know their role and it easier to play against them.
i saw that 2 - good points =

Old
10-14-2004, 09:44 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Some goalies do better in free for alls than others. Some goalies need a more structured system. It might be that Auld suits a structured system but not a FFA. ie he's good at what does and if the defensemen know that they compensate by minimising the stuff the goalie doesn't handle well. Potvin is/was a very good goalie when the team in front of him played solid D, controlled the rebounds. He left Van and played great in a defensive system in LA. He made the key stops and the D knew what to do. Take Potvin out of his confort zone, like he was in Van's run and gun, and he sucked. We know Auld has poor lateral movement, but I think he can play a solid game if the D infront of him plays solid. If the D go wandering his lack of movement can get exploited. I question whether he'll make it as a #1 in Van, on a trap team he might do better.

Old
10-14-2004, 10:28 PM
Mizral

It's funny you all have these doubts all of a sudden - for the last two years, he has drawn comparisons to Sean Burke, Olaf Kolzig, heck even Ken Dryden by some of the peanuts gallery.

Don't underestimate this kid. There is a reason Tyler Moss became expendable (a very good AHL goaltender he was/is), and he is still a very young age for an NHL goaltender. Most keepers get their starting job at 24 or 25 years of age, so he's just approaching that age soon. Give him a few months and I suspect this thread will be doing a 180.

Old
10-14-2004, 10:59 PM
Russian_fanatic

I'm not dissing, Auld. He still remains my second favourite Canucks prospect(Besides Koltsov).

Old
10-14-2004, 11:00 PM
Fictional Realism
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Thompson
It's funny you all have these doubts all of a sudden - for the last two years, he has drawn comparisons to Sean Burke, Olaf Kolzig, heck even Ken Dryden by some of the peanuts gallery.
Peanut gallery...try crackerjack box with those comparisons. Dryden...wth. I could see a Burke comparison...Kolzig not so much.

Old
10-14-2004, 11:32 PM
Rotting Corpse*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Thompson
That's a nice generalization.

And by nice I mean ********. Some people here have always thought he was great, some people have always had doubt. It's no different now. Nothing has changed "all of a sudden."

Unless you can specifically point out posters who have "suddenly" changed their minds about Auld, then your post just isn't valid.

Last edited by Rotting Corpse*: 10-14-2004 at 11:41 PM.
Old
10-14-2004, 11:35 PM
Rotting Corpse*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVal575
he wouldn't be the first goaltender to say the NHL is easier than the AHL.
Really? Who else has said that? Other than that Devils goalie that played one game and got a shutout.

Quote:
in fact Martin Brodeur says his hardest days were when he was in the Q.
The AHL is not the Q. And it's different because Martin Brodeur didn't play in the Q at 30 years old. Do you think Brody would find the Q difficult if he played it now? Of course not.

Auld (apparantly) struggles in the AHL, and excells in the NHL...in the same year, the same time period.

Closed Thread