HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Senatrolls @ QUACK! | Sportsnet East | 4PM

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-21-2012, 02:01 PM
  #76
HSF
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 14,294
vCash: 500
why the Carkner hate? he has played fine for his role imo

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 02:04 PM
  #77
ErikKarlsson
The Best (per IOC)
 
ErikKarlsson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSF View Post
why the Carkner hate? he has played fine for his role imo
He's been kind of poor with the puck and has made some pretty bad giveaways. Doesn't really seem to be playing like he did before the knee injury.

ErikKarlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 02:06 PM
  #78
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan
 
saskriders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,913
vCash: 750
3

saskriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 02:12 PM
  #79
Afro Thunder*
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSF View Post
why the Carkner hate? he has played fine for his role imo
Not really no.

Afro Thunder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 02:12 PM
  #80
DukeNukem
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikKarlsson View Post
He's been kind of poor with the puck and has made some pretty bad giveaways. Doesn't really seem to be playing like he did before the knee injury.
I disagree, he is playing his role perfectly. He's a 6/7 d who can be very effective against specific opponents and can play the 'don't screw with our stars or else' card. And he's comparatively cheap as things go. Plus he's local too. I'm more worried about how Phillips has lost a step. (at least from what I've seen)

DukeNukem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 02:18 PM
  #81
WhiteLight
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 15,436
vCash: 500
Carkner was at his best with a mobile puck-mover like Campoli. He was very solid then. Phillips is not his ideal partner.

WhiteLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 02:22 PM
  #82
H2O
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,760
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikKarlsson View Post
He's been kind of poor with the puck and has made some pretty bad giveaways. Doesn't really seem to be playing like he did before the knee injury.
I agree, he needs to be upgraded.

H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 02:23 PM
  #83
dystemper
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 989
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSF View Post
why the Carkner hate? he has played fine for his role imo
'coz certain people in this fanbase will turn on any player who isn't a superstar even if he's clearly paid only to fill a hole or for depth.

nothing new.

dystemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 02:27 PM
  #84
DukeNukem
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 263
vCash: 500
I guess the dumb Phillips bandwagon should start pretty soon?

DukeNukem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 02:27 PM
  #85
Afro Thunder*
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dystemper View Post
'coz certain people in this fanbase will turn on any player who isn't a superstar even if he's clearly paid only to fill a hole or for depth.

nothing new.
Yeah we kind of expect our NHLers to make passes and skate. Not a superstar.

Afro Thunder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 02:34 PM
  #86
DukeNukem
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 263
vCash: 500
Half-way thru the re-build in year one and we already down to the the last defenceman and 4th line. Not bad.

DukeNukem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 02:35 PM
  #87
dystemper
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 989
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afro Thunder View Post
Yeah we kind of expect our NHLers to make passes and skate. Not a superstar.
*shrugs* he's a 700k guy who brings toughness on the back end, and works hard every shift, who's only in his 3rd season, playing limited minutes on the bottom pair. he's -1 on a team that's just finally gotten to a + on goal differential.

the hate for him is pretty stupid.

dystemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 02:35 PM
  #88
N Bahn Ahden
Registered User
 
N Bahn Ahden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dystemper View Post
'coz certain people in this fanbase will turn on any player who isn't a superstar even if he's clearly paid only to fill a hole or for depth.

nothing new.
Except he hasn't been filling his hole very well lately, so he is going to be criticized. He's supposed to be a guy that doesn't hurt you defensively, and fights now and then. But he has been hurting us defensively. He's not valuable enough in any other way to stick in the lineup if he's not playing well defensively.

I didn't see the San Jose game, so I can't comment on whether Boro is a better option. The criticism for Carkner though is warranted.

N Bahn Ahden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 02:36 PM
  #89
PatrickEaves
We Lost
 
PatrickEaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,268
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dystemper View Post
'coz certain people in this fanbase will turn on any player who isn't a superstar even if he's clearly paid only to fill a hole or for depth.

nothing new.
Carkner gets passed the puck on his stick while he's standing in our own zone wide open, while the other team makes a line change.

Carkner bobbles the puck and loses it in his skates.

While Carkner is trying to get control of the puck, the opposition completes their line change and starts to forecheck.

Carkner finally gets control of the puck and looks up to make a pass.

Opposition forechecker closes in on Carkner and strips the puck while Carkner is making a decision. He watches ineffectively while he is caught flatfooted while the opponent goes in to take a shot on Anderson.

Anderson makes an unbelievable save, and the rebound goes to the corner.

Carkner gets to the puck in the corner and tries to get the puck out. He partially whifs on the clearing attempt though and the opposition defenseman keeps the puck in.

Anderson makes another unbelievable save, but this time manages to cover the rebound.

Rinse & Repeat multiple times a period.

__________________
No, I'm not a girl. Stop asking!
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBlQ4ybRWH8
PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 02:38 PM
  #90
N Bahn Ahden
Registered User
 
N Bahn Ahden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeNukem View Post
I disagree, he is playing his role perfectly. He's a 6/7 d who can be very effective against specific opponents and can play the 'don't screw with our stars or else' card. And he's comparatively cheap as things go. Plus he's local too. I'm more worried about how Phillips has lost a step. (at least from what I've seen)
I can't stress how irrelevant this is enough. It's nice having a local guy or two I suppose, but at the end of the day it doesn't make them any better on the ice.

N Bahn Ahden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 02:40 PM
  #91
N Bahn Ahden
Registered User
 
N Bahn Ahden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeNukem View Post
Half-way thru the re-build in year one and we already down to the the last defenceman and 4th line. Not bad.
Multi-tasking.

N Bahn Ahden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 02:41 PM
  #92
dystemper
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 989
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by N Bahn Ahden View Post
Except he hasn't been filling his hole very well lately, so he is going to be criticized. He's supposed to be a guy that doesn't hurt you defensively, and fights now and then. But he has been hurting us defensively. He's not valuable enough in any other way to stick in the lineup if he's not playing well defensively.
not making the argument that he should be in the lineup. i think a lot of our younger D have outplayed him. just saying the hate is exaggerated and pretty ridiculous for a guy barely playing 12 mins a night if he's in the lineup.

people act as if he's some grizzled vet who shouldn't be making mistakes. it's only his 3rd season. he's very much inexperienced, but he hasn't been completely horrible considering what he's been here for -- toughness on the backend, which is severely lacking.

dystemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 02:42 PM
  #93
SixthSens
Global Moderator
RIP Kev
 
SixthSens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,753
vCash: 500
At work, likely to miss the first and second. I can follow along here though.

Can't wait to hear how Petersson does!

SixthSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 02:48 PM
  #94
N Bahn Ahden
Registered User
 
N Bahn Ahden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dystemper View Post
not making the argument that he should be in the lineup. i think a lot of our younger D have outplayed him. just saying the hate is exaggerated and pretty ridiculous for a guy barely playing 12 mins a night if he's in the lineup.

people act as if he's some grizzled vet who shouldn't be making mistakes. it's only his 3rd season. he's very much inexperienced, but he hasn't been completely horrible considering what he's been here for -- toughness on the backend, which is severely lacking.
I don't think people actually hate him. But you can't come on here and just say "he shouldn't be in the lineup", and leave. You have to make an argument for why. So you say how he's not playing well, point out his flaws, or examples of where he's struggled. Perhaps that comes off as an attack on the guy, but it's kind of necessary for the forum to be functional.

As for the inexperienced line, he's 31. He's not your typical 3rd year.

N Bahn Ahden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 02:52 PM
  #95
Liliaceae
Sens ❤
 
Liliaceae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,861
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanny View Post


GO GO!!!


GO SENS GO!!!

Liliaceae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 02:57 PM
  #96
Anaxagoras
Futbol Fan
 
Anaxagoras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: BC
Posts: 1,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanny View Post

DJ Khowen?

This Ducks team has been pretty good lately, they're a better team than their record indicates.

With that said,

GO SENS GO!

Anaxagoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 02:59 PM
  #97
ErikKarlsson
The Best (per IOC)
 
ErikKarlsson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by N Bahn Ahden View Post
I don't think people actually hate him. But you can't come on here and just say "he shouldn't be in the lineup", and leave. You have to make an argument for why. So you say how he's not playing well, point out his flaws, or examples of where he's struggled. Perhaps that comes off as an attack on the guy, but it's kind of necessary for the forum to be functional.

As for the inexperienced line, he's 31. He's not your typical 3rd year.
Yep. Carkner isn't some 24 year old that still has a good chance to develop. He is pretty much at his peak right now and has nowhere to really go but down. I don't mind him as the #6 or #7 defenceman but there really is better options out there.

ErikKarlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 03:03 PM
  #98
2Cowen
Registered User
 
2Cowen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,556
vCash: 500
Holy crap Getzlaf is balding so fast. He looks weird

2Cowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 03:03 PM
  #99
PatrickEaves
We Lost
 
PatrickEaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,268
vCash: 500
Eight feeds, and none of them feature Uncle Denis.

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 03:04 PM
  #100
Disclose
Registered User
 
Disclose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 1513
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrePetersson View Post
Eight feeds, and none of them feature Uncle Denis.
cant find one...

Disclose is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:18 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.