HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

HFBoards Upgrade

Old
01-17-2012, 07:09 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
HFBoards Upgrade

I'm posting this just in case the board goes down, so you guys will have had warning that it is possible and not to worry about the board returning and the why/how's of it.

In any case, the board is going to undergo a major upgrade very soon. Servers and software. It could go unnoticed, or there could be bugs that have to be ironed out.

If there are bugs or issues you have, create a thread here or PM one of us (meaning Tony, Telos, WHB, myself) and we will have it looked into.

Thank you.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 07:12 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
Will a date be provided prior to the site going dark? DOWN WITH SOPA!

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 07:47 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Maybe you guys can now finally stop closing the GDT 3 seconds after the game ends so we can all enjoy posting on it, even if we are at the game.

Even though I've been telling you for a couple of years you don't have to do that anymore, since vBulletin can more than handle the traffic load.

The 1,000 post per limit per thread is a total myth.

Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 07:48 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Will a date be provided prior to the site going dark? DOWN WITH SOPA!
It's an interesting coincidence

Still unknown as to date or time, I am looking into if we will get warning prior and will post here if I get an answer. I would just be prepared for it to happen in the next few days. So don't be shocked to log on in the near future and have a few things out of order.

ďEvery good army needs a couple of criminals.Ē - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 07:50 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I'll just assume that a major trade broke down and HF crashed as a result.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 07:54 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Maybe you guys can now finally stop closing the GDT 3 seconds after the game ends so we can all enjoy posting on it, even if we are at the game.

Even though I've been telling you for a couple of years you don't have to do that anymore, since vBulletin can more than handle the traffic load.

It organizes things better. Most random chatter, in between games, about the team is done in the PGT. The admins like to keep threads below 1k for our databases, it has made a noticeable difference for them, that's just how it is. Any change in that law is up to Buffaloed. I'll check for you after the upgrades have been made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I'll just assume that a major trade broke down and HF crashed as a result.
Hopefully we are involved, and won the deal

Old
01-17-2012, 08:29 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
As part of this upgrade, I would like a sleep number bed.

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 08:46 PM
KingsKnight
Reclaimed the Crown

My girlfriend will be happy if HFBoards goes down for any period of time.

KingsKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 08:38 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
It organizes things better. Most random chatter, in between games, about the team is done in the PGT. The admins like to keep threads below 1k for our databases, it has made a noticeable difference for them, that's just how it is. Any change in that law is up to Buffaloed. I'll check for you after the upgrades have been made.
With all due respect, this is just not true. A perfect example is last night's game, where Vancouver gets a whole hell of a lot more traffic on their GDT yet all they do is change the thread title when the game is over and continue to post on the same thread. They have 831 posts on it already. See below:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=1082553

So this isn't really consistently applied across HF Boards. As a matter of fact, the Kings threads are much smaller than that. I have noticed some other team boards also employ Vancouver's philosophy.

I have knowledge in the area, believe me. I founded a popular basketball site almost 10 years ago and am still an administrator there. I know all about vBulletin and its capabilities, and have obviously worked the DB and backend, creating multiple "hacks" of vBulletin pages to get things to "work just right."

vBulletin's DB doesn't suffer unless you are using Great Uncle Jasper's 1981 PC as a server. That's the bottom line.

It wouldn't be such an issue for me except for the fact that I am mobile at the games and would like to post some post-game comments, and it is really hard to do so when the ****ing GDT closes a split-second after the game ends. It is extremely difficult to navigate from thread to thread in Staples Center, even though HF Boards has built a nice mobile app.

I am using an iPhone 4 with Verizon connectivity, FYI.

Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 09:23 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Hi Ron.. in case you missed my earlier response re: your complaint:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
There are several reasons, actually.

1. The main GDT posts are real-time during the game. Postgame no one is interested in trudging through several hundred "Kopi!!!!" or "aw ****" posts to get to commentary about the game.

2. In game commentary is vastly different in style and substance to post-game commentary. Before we had PGT's, it took a while to search one thread to figure out when the in-game commentary ended and the post-game commentary began.

3. A lot of the posts in the GDT are normally considered spam that we let go because it's during the game. We do far more thread cleanup in the PGT to make it easier for people to read that we don't do in the GDT due to the sheer volume of posts coming in at once.

4. You can click on the red "PGT" (or GDT, OT, Kings News, etc. - any thread identifier) link and get a search result of every PGT thread created. It makes it a breeze to see post-game commentary of every prior game. It's the only form of search on this site that presently works properly.

5. Even though search has been broken for ages on this site, when it IS working, vBulletin slows down significantly when it has to search large threads. That's why we close posts that hit 1,000 replies. This may not be 1995, but databases have the same issues when having to search large amounts of information. The way the site is indexed is optimized for #'s of threads, not #s of posts within threads. The site also keeps years of historical posts. We feel that doing these things to keep the site speedy instead of pruning threads is preferred. There's a lot of value in digging up several-year old threads.

6. Google search for hfboards threads is far easier when you can filter by PGT's.

7. We go to great lengths to start up PGT threads immediately after the game ends for people like yourself who want to post commentary quickly. Just wait a minute or two after the final horn and the thread will be up.
As of today, the HFBoards database has 862,489 threads, 36,578,643 posts and 99,092 active members - which is the population of a decent-sized city. That's a lot of posts to search through (part of the reason it's broken currently). It's a huge database by vBulletin standards that's being upgraded.

Contrast that with the #'s of a site like letsgowings.com forums, which has 1,390,645 posts and 10,356 members. HFBoards has 30x as many posts and 9x as many members.

Last edited by TonySCV: 01-18-2012 at 09:32 AM.
TonySCV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:07 PM
Kings4thecup

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsKnight View Post
My girlfriend will be happy if HFBoards goes down for any period of time.
Is HFBoards your neighbor or UPS man?

Kings4thecup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:30 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Will these upgrades include bigger avatars?

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 01:11 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
Will these upgrades include bigger avatars?
I doubt it, I think they are as big as they're going to get for sponsors and normal users alike.

Old
01-18-2012, 02:08 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings4thecup View Post
Good one!

kingsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 06:47 PM
haca oighir

Tony speaks the truth. I like the GDT and PGT desperate. They are totally different and sometimes I just want to see post game messages so it saves me time searching to find put when they start like you have to do in the Canuck threads.

haca oighir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 07:08 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post

Agreed!

It's fun to comment on things happening during the game, and to quote them after the game is over.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 07:13 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Hi Ron.. in case you missed my earlier response re: your complaint:

As of today, the HFBoards database has 862,489 threads, 36,578,643 posts and 99,092 active members - which is the population of a decent-sized city. That's a lot of posts to search through (part of the reason it's broken currently). It's a huge database by vBulletin standards that's being upgraded.

Contrast that with the #'s of a site like letsgowings.com forums, which has 1,390,645 posts and 10,356 members. HFBoards has 30x as many posts and 9x as many members.
Tony, I don't mind having a PGT created immediately after the game. I see the value in that.

But why does the GDT have to be locked so quickly? why does it have to be locked at all? Can't the PGT and GDT both be left open?

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 07:13 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
The date is expected to be tomorrow. No downtime expected, but if any, of the potential 4 hour-ish variety.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 07:14 PM
KingsKnight
Reclaimed the Crown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings4thecup View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Good one!
I should have worded that better

Last edited by KingsKnight: 01-18-2012 at 08:05 PM. Reason: wrong quote
KingsKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 07:59 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
Tony, I don't mind having a PGT created immediately after the game. I see the value in that.

But why does the GDT have to be locked so quickly? why does it have to be locked at all? Can't the PGT and GDT both be left open?
Because then we have two threads with Postgame content. It just doesn't work.

Folks that have been around long enough remember the GDTs and PGTs used to be all in one. It was a pain sifting through the thread to figure out when the in-game comments ended and the postgame began. We're not going to regress to that state (and honestly until Ron's post that was the first time i can recall anyone complaining about the PGT vs GDT.).

- T

TonySCV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 08:34 PM
Roxo

Send a message via AIM to Roxo
If it's not broke, don't fix it.. Ha, I know some things are not perfect on the site. But i like how simple it is. I hope through the upgrade it doesn't get over graphic heavy and keeps it simplistic style. It's why I enjoy HFboards as opposed to the other MSG boards that try to do to much fancy stuff..

Roxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:42 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Because then we have two threads with Postgame content. It just doesn't work.

Folks that have been around long enough remember the GDTs and PGTs used to be all in one. It was a pain sifting through the thread to figure out when the in-game comments ended and the postgame began. We're not going to regress to that state (and honestly until Ron's post that was the first time i can recall anyone complaining about the PGT vs GDT.).

- T
Count me as another, I just haven't vocalized it yet.

I think they should be seperate threads as well, but why not leave the GDT open for a while after the game, say 30-45 minutes? It allows those who were actually at the game to comment in that thread and it's obvious they want to do so, as Ron as demonstrated.

Then go to the PGT.

kingsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:49 AM
BigBrown
They did it again!

I like that the GDT is closed right away. Home games start at 4:30 AM here, I have no way of watching every single one so it's very helpful to have the threads split. I can read immediate reactions to the win/loss and general comments about the game as a whole in the PGT and/or go through sort of a play by play in the GDT if I'm in the mood for that.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 02:38 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Changes are starting to take effect. Just roll with it

If you get logged out, then log back in, it is because of the address change and being re-directed to the new land of promise

Old
01-19-2012, 05:39 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

We made it! Is everyone still alive?