Notices

Jets vs. Panthers | January 21st | 6:00 / 7 EST | CBC | Bro Edition Round 2

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2012, 04:43 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

vCash: 500
Let's call a spade a spade: Burmi was rushed into the NHL too early and should have spent another few years developing in Junior.

That said, he's here now and it does us no good to bury him on the 4th line and playing with scrubs. The best way to allow a young player to blossom is to put them on a line with proven and experienced veterans and expand their role gradually.

Burmi should have spent the entire year playing with Antropov and another winger (Ladd, Fehr, Miettinen, whoever). He might not put up as many points as Wellwood this year, but he would have taken huge steps in his development and be a better player for us in the future.

Old
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
I actually prefer Fehr on his off-side, despite him being a natural RW. He does a decent enough job in his own end, and he is 100% for effective off the rush on his off-wing. Some players are effective on their right side (Left handed shot Ladd is deadly on the left side) but most are better on their off wing, and Fehr fits there perfectly.

For the last 5-6 Fehr's game has really really improved. He is finally starting to get confidence in his shoulder again, as evidenced by his much improved hitting and puck control. Skating and conditioning seem to be getting better as well. He has 11 SOG over the past 3 games and really seems to be coming along. Think this is not too bad of an idea, actually.
I do agree that sometimes having guys on their off wing can help a la Kovalchuk when he was on the Thrashers would snipe that opposite corner top cheddar from the left circle.

I think it's just the fact that we have all 3 as right handed shots that turns me off a little.

Old
atl thrasher344
Believe in Blueland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
Hey, Semin can also stick-handle and he has also long in his past made an occasional play in his own end as well. Guess he is Datsyuk as well.

They are all from the same part of the world. The comparison ends there.

Guess what? When Datsyuk was young he was known for his smart decision making with the puck. Can't make the same argument on Burmistrov's part; sorry. That was kind of the point.
I don't get why you are so stubborn to give Burmistrov credit for his defensive game. He is far above just making the "occasional play" in his own zone.

Old
01-21-2012, 04:44 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

vCash: 131
Post moved to OT section.

Last edited by Puckschmuck*: 01-21-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old
01-21-2012, 04:45 PM
Romang67
BitterSwede

vCash: 545
Quote:
Hey, Semin can also stick-handle and he has also long in his past made an occasional play in his own end as well. Guess he is Datysyuk as well.

They are all from the same part of the world. The comparison ends there.

Guess what? When Datsyuk was young he was known for his smart decision making with the puck. Can't make the same argument on Burmistrov's part; sorry. That was kind of the point.
And what about the Selke winner's defensive game? Wouldn't that be a pretty big part of his game? You know, the best part about Burmistrovs game?

It's two russian centers with dazzling stickwork and great defensive games. You really can't see why people compare them?

And yeah, Semin is nothing like Datsyuk or Burmistrov.

Old
01-21-2012, 04:50 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
I do agree that sometimes having guys on their off wing can help a la Kovalchuk when he was on the Thrashers would snipe that opposite corner top cheddar from the left circle.

I think it's just the fact that we have all 3 as right handed shots that turns me off a little.
I don't think it matters to much. Look at the Red Wings, they have a grand total of 1 Right Handed Shot on the TEAM. Depends on the players. Guys with good shots like Fehr, Burmistrov I like on the off-wing. Guys like Glass and Thorburn should never EVER be moved to the off-wing, IMO (both need to be on their good sides for the defensive zone since they have below average hands).

Old
01-21-2012, 04:51 PM
SCP Guy

vCash: 50
I'm ready to get my Bromance on tonight lol

1 hour till I leave for MTSC.

Old
01-21-2012, 04:52 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romang67 View Post
And what about the Selke winner's defensive game? Wouldn't that be a pretty big part of his game? You know, the best part about Burmistrovs game?

It's two russian centers with dazzling stickwork and great defensive games. You really can't see why people compare them?
I find it hilarious that you'd attempt to make a comparison between a Selke winning forward versus what amounts to basically a raw rookie that makes a good backcheck play once every 3 or 4 games. The difference being that Datsyuk brings defensive responsibility every game, every shift, while at the same time not sacrificing any offensive output whatsoever, while Burmistrov conversely has been basically offensively inept since the Jets forwards began to be required to check and trap in the neutral zone roughly 10 games into the season. Not to say that he won't improve, but there is no comparison to be made right now. None. Zero.

Old
01-21-2012, 04:53 PM
Romang67
BitterSwede

Quote:
I find it hilarious that you'd attempt to make a comparison between a Selke winning forward versus what amounts to basically a raw rookie that makes a good backcheck play once every 3 or 4 games. The difference being that Datsyuk brings defensive responsibility every game, every shift, while at the same time not sacrificing any offensive output whatsoever, while Burmistrov conversely has been basically offensively inept since the Jets forwards began to be required to check and trap in the neutral zone roughly 10 games into the season. Not to say that he won't improve, but there is no comparison to be made right now. None. Zero.
Are you kidding me?

Old
01-21-2012, 04:56 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 1989
The only Russian that Burmi can be compared to right now is Sergei Samsonov.

Old
01-21-2012, 04:59 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
Quote:
Are you kidding me?
Are you old enough to have seen Datsyuk play when he was younger? He was a great player that made great decisions with the puck.

Busrmistrov is a talented player that makes poor decisions with the puck for the majority of this season so far. He occasionally makes good checks in his own end when the opposition has the puck, yes. Too bad he rarely seems to have a clue of what to do with the puck when he has possession of it. He's proven really good at softly giving it away over the past few months though.

Old
01-21-2012, 05:00 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Burmi isnt that bad

Old
01-21-2012, 05:01 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Let's hope our Bro's on the roster aren't reading this BDT. Because that would create a Bro strain which the Jets do not need tonight.

Old
01-21-2012, 05:03 PM
Romang67
BitterSwede

Quote:
Are you old enough to have seen Datsyuk play when he was younger? He was a great player that made great decisions with the puck.

Busrmistrov is a talented player that makes poor decisions with the puck for the majority of this season so far. He occasionally makes good checks in his own end when the opposition has the puck, yes. Too bad he rarely seems to have a clue of what to do with the puck when he has possession of it. He's proven really good at softly giving it away over the past few months though.
That has nothing to do with what you said. You claimed that Burmistrovs defensive game amounts to a good backcheck every three or four games, which is a blatant lie.

Edit: A claim that, if it was true, would prove that it doesn't make sense to compare the two players.

Old
01-21-2012, 05:04 PM
Kinjero
Friends... for-ev-er

vCash: 1814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
Let's hope our Bro's on the roster aren't reading this BDT. Because that would create a Bro strain which the Jets do not need tonight.
Yeah! WTF, Bro up peoples!

Old
01-21-2012, 05:07 PM
JustGivingEr
How far we done fell

Quote:
I think the comparison is in at least part valid. While Brumi is no where near Datsyuk in terms of offense or defense at this point in their careers, Burmi attempts to play a similar style to Datsyuk. As a former Wings fan who has watched Datsyuk play his entire career, he was the first player brought to mind when I first began to watchs Burmistrov. A highly-skilled russian forward who is committed to playing defense as well. Datsyuk might have more vision and presence with the puck but that doesn't take away from the areas where they are similar.

Obviously he isn't a carbon copy of Datsyuk but if you can't see the similarities than you haven't watched either of them enough.

Old
01-21-2012, 05:07 PM
sipowicz
The Original

Quote:
Gotta agree with Gump's analysis of Burmi's play of late, the first 10 games of the season Burmi was our top forward since then one of the wor.......!

Damn, wrong quote!

Old
01-21-2012, 05:08 PM
Romang67
BitterSwede

Quote:
Gotta agree with Gump's analysis of Burmi's play of late, the first 10 games of the season Burmi was our top forward since then one of the wor.......!
Come on man, complete the anti jinx!

Old
01-21-2012, 05:09 PM
sipowicz
The Original

Quote:
Come on man, complete the anti jinx!
I'm working on Fehr and Antro at present time, will schedule Burmi in for abuse next week!

Old
01-21-2012, 05:12 PM
atl thrasher344
Believe in Blueland

It seems that whenever there is hate for a certain player on the board, they start to play awesome afterwards (see: Ladd, Wheeler. I fully expect Burmistrov to score tonight now.

Old
01-21-2012, 05:21 PM
Kinjero
Friends... for-ev-er

vCash: 1814
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl thrasher344 View Post
It seems that whenever there is hate for a certain player on the board, they start to play awesome afterwards (see: Ladd, Wheeler. I fully expect Burmistrov to score tonight now.
I hate Mittens so much..

Old
01-21-2012, 05:23 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl thrasher344 View Post
Son of a *****! Why the **** did you jinx it?!?! You should know better Thrasher344!

?

Old
01-21-2012, 05:24 PM
Romang67
BitterSwede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinjero View Post
I hate Mittens so much..
That doesn't sound optimal considering where you live...

Old
01-21-2012, 05:25 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
That doesn't sound optimal considering where you live...

Old
01-21-2012, 05:26 PM
Ziggy66

Quote:
I would like to see him turn into a Alexei Zhamnov in time lol. Hopefully he can get one in tonight with a couple assists...just so I feel better about his play of late.

Closed Thread