Notices

General OT Thread #9: Beating The Mayans To The End Of The World

Closed Thread

Old
01-26-2012, 09:33 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
Especially when someone mentions there's no GDT at Noon and half a dozen people get to work

Old
01-26-2012, 12:10 PM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

vCash: 50
In recent HFBoards news, GS is the Wayne Gretzky of GDTs.

(Get it? He does everything)

Old
01-26-2012, 12:44 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

I broke my last TPS Response last night. Sad day losing one of my favorite type of sticks...

Going to have to tear through my shed and see if I have anymore hidden for some reason. Otherwise, I'll have to try one of the new fangled Warriors or something.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
01-26-2012, 12:55 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I remember that one. Specifically yours. Because I'm weird like that.

Hands down my favorite if you can spring for it is the Bauer APX with the dual kick points and improved blade. EXTREMELY light weight and well balanced and very durable.

Otherwise if you can find clearance Vapor X:60's those are awesome. I bought one before last year's playoffs and I've got about 40 skates with it and still going strong. Heel is a bit chewed up otherwise in great shape.

I do have the newer Warrior Dynasty, not bad. It's a little blade heavy compared to the Vapor and makes a funky rattling sound (not glue). But for whatever reason last week when I used it, it must have broken in just right or something because I was launching pucks with it. Knocked the goalie's stick out of his hand and into the corner on one shot.

Heard good things about the Warrior Widow/Diablo and I will say the new Warrior blades (on the Dynasty, Diablo, and Widow at least) are EXTREMELY good. Right up with Bauer's APX and Total One blades.

I've got a few sticks to burn before picking up a new one, but I'm thinking of trying a Base stick next go around. I understand the blades are like old Mission pro stocks (i.e. extremely durable with solid puck feels). Shot around with a couple and they seem decent. Won't compete with a high end stick for weight of course. But the kicker for me would be a 5 lie Sakic clone instead of the 6 lie. Would really be interested in that.

Old
01-26-2012, 01:33 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Hey I'll take being the Gretzky of anything, any day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
I broke my last TPS Response last night. Sad day losing one of my favorite type of sticks...

Going to have to tear through my shed and see if I have anymore hidden for some reason. Otherwise, I'll have to try one of the new fangled Warriors or something.
That sucks.

Did something similar last night as I ended up splitting my Thornton blade in two, but it's not a stick I was in love with.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
01-26-2012, 01:36 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Ya, I had a few 25 packs of those things. Loved them. Wish I could find some more in some type of warehouse or something.

Haven't glanced at sticks in a long time so I suppose I'll go to Total and look around over the weekend. This warm weather is getting a bit depressing again...

Old
01-26-2012, 01:56 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

They do still have some TPS R8's laying around, although they are usually whip flex and your old regular flex was closer to 90-95 flex for most companies. The Vapor sticks are a little stiffer than most so you could probably do an 87 flex just fine but I wouldn't be surprised if you went up to 100, especially with the Warriors. They seem to play kind of whippy.

The old XN10's were pretty universally loved over at Mod Squad. Everyone thought they were the holy grail of sticks. Those silver ones were a little different I think in the blade. Then TPS got bought out by Sherwood who hasn't done crap with the technology.

BUT, most people who loved the XN10's seemed to like S19's and One95's a great deal. The XN10 seemed to not have an engineered low kick point. Most modern sticks are either stiffer in the taper area for a mid kick (like the Total One, Reebok AI, S19) or are whippier in the taper area for a low kick (Vapor, EQ50, Widow). The Warrior Dynasty might be the closest to a regular kick stick. The old Dolomite Spyne actually had no engineered kick point and felt pretty good, but the blade was crap. I've got one and it's a nice stick, just too stiff.

I am curious about the new Bauer line of sticks, the Nexus. It's going to Ovechkin's custom kick point, which is actually up in the hands. Supposed to have a wood stick like release.

Old
01-26-2012, 04:01 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
We can absolutely make a Game Day sign-up thread. It's probably warranted if a lot of you are going to start going ahead and making them prior to the game itself. Here in the Buffalo forum is just a simple sign-up for their forum and we could replicate that.

If you believe that is the way to go, feel free to start a thread and we'll get around to sticky-ing it. I'd make one right now but a tad busy and I'm just on my phone...
Well, glad weve got one now. I was actually trying to write up a table to do that same post last night, but I lost it in a computer crash around 5am and just made a troll face and went to bed.

Damned tables are a pain in the ass to make.

Old
01-26-2012, 04:47 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Pro tip: do it once in Excel, copy and paste.

Old
01-26-2012, 05:16 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Pro tip: do it once in Excel, copy and paste.
What?? Seriously? You can copy straight from excel and it generates all the code?

Old
01-26-2012, 07:23 PM
BuddyMcCormick

vCash: 934
Doing the Polar Plunge on Saturday. My boss had me sign up. Taking any and all donations for the Special Olympics.

http://www.plungemn.org/plunger/justinkarel

Many Thanks.

Old
01-27-2012, 09:10 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

For all you out there who have Android, I'd recommend Dood's Music Player. It basically just streams music of your choice. Can create playlists and what not. I've yet to not find any song I was looking for. Blows any other similar app out of the water.

Old
01-27-2012, 09:57 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
What?? Seriously? You can copy straight from excel and it generates all the code?
Nah, just keep whatever info you want in Excel, and then build a sheet to display however you want it.

Like for me, I have sheets that import data from Web and link to either NHL.com or Yahoo sports to pull player and team data, then do whatever I want with them in terms of data mining and organization, copy and paste values to a new sheet, sort, and then two rows over I have the table formatting to display whatever I want. It takes maybe 15-20 minutes to set up each table but only a minute to copy and paste after that. Unless you have to manually enter data like I do for the Prospect sheet.

Old
01-27-2012, 10:02 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Nah, just keep whatever info you want in Excel, and then build a sheet to display however you want it.

Like for me, I have sheets that import data from Web and link to either NHL.com or Yahoo sports to pull player and team data, then do whatever I want with them in terms of data mining and organization, copy and paste values to a new sheet, sort, and then two rows over I have the table formatting to display whatever I want. It takes maybe 15-20 minutes to set up each table but only a minute to copy and paste after that. Unless you have to manually enter data like I do for the Prospect sheet.
To add to this, a little more specific to the table Avder was working on:

You can put all the data into Excel where it's nice and easy to look at, then either save as comma separated values, open in wordpad and do a find/replace to swap pipes for commas, or you can have your data all nice and organized, insert every other column and just fill with pipes that way. Either way, you're far less likely to make mistakes if you do it all in Excel where things line up nicely and you can just copy/paste.

Old
01-27-2012, 10:24 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Also if you don't have Excel, you can use Google Spreadsheets for free. Don't think it pulls data from web though.

Here's what I mean.

I pull the data and have it sorted out in columns in Excel. Then to the right I have this:

(table="css=transp;head;width=500")Draft|Team|PPG| Proj|Odds|Highest

=AF22&"|"&T22&"|"&TEXT(Y22,"0.00")&"|"&TEXT(Y22*82 ,"0")&"|"&TEXT(AG22,"0.0%")&"|"&TEXT(AI22,"0")

...more columns...

(/table)

Replace parenthesis with brackets obviously.

And it looks like this:

DraftTeamPPGProjOddsHighest
1stCOLUMBUS0.655425.0%1st
2ndEDMONTON0.846918.8%1st
3rdBUFFALO0.927514.2%1st
4thCAROLINA0.887210.7%1st
5thNY ISLANDERS0.94778.1%2nd

Old
01-27-2012, 10:29 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Speaking of Excel, the 65536 (8*8*2^10) line limit is stupid and I hate it.

Also 50mb Excel files load really really slow. Thankfully I don't need to adjust my pivot tables.

Old
01-27-2012, 10:30 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Oh what a tease...

Total Hockey sent out an ad for buy one get one free on some Sherwood sticks, showed a 5030 in the ad, but it's not part of the offer.

Old
01-27-2012, 10:30 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Yeah, I do the same thing for html prototyping. I'll drop a </td><td> into a column in between values. Copy the entire thing, paste it into EditPlus and do a search and replace of the hard character between columns and bam... Easy grid...

Old
01-27-2012, 10:32 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Speaking of Excel, the 65536 (8*8*2^10) line limit is stupid and I hate it.

Also 50mb Excel files load really really slow. Thankfully I don't need to adjust my pivot tables.
Last year we did a data migration from Lawson to Oracle and I had to build data files for the import. Something like 80,000 records times 30-40 fields. I had to do a ton of vlookups, sumifs, countifs, manual validation, etc. Those files would take 5 minutes to re-load after every change. God that sucked. Took about 3 weeks of 50-60 hours weeks including a 12 hour Saturday where I got the file finished an hour before the deadline

Databases >>> Spreadsheets for those kinds of things. Give me a query builder and I'll get it done in 10 minutes.

Old
01-27-2012, 10:44 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Last year we did a data migration from Lawson to Oracle and I had to build data files for the import. Something like 80,000 records times 30-40 fields. I had to do a ton of vlookups, sumifs, countifs, manual validation, etc. Those files would take 5 minutes to re-load after every change. God that sucked. Took about 3 weeks of 50-60 hours weeks including a 12 hour Saturday where I got the file finished an hour before the deadline

Databases >>> Spreadsheets for those kinds of things. Give me a query builder and I'll get it done in 10 minutes.
Unfortunately for my company, we're using some bargain ERP system that we bought years ago and can't get any support on, can't really afford to replace it until it genuinely cannot get the job done, and don't even have something as simple as Access to use for a database. I make sure I make comments about using Excel as a database whenever our IT guy is around, probably because I'm an ******* like that.

Old
01-27-2012, 04:18 PM
tyratoku

vCash: 710
Just started watching Contagion.

It makes me want to live in a bubble the rest of my life, jesus.

Finished the movie.

I was invited to a party tonight. Not leaving my room for the rest of the night. Or the rest of the week. And possibly not for the rest of my life. Holy ****.

Last edited by tyratoku: 01-27-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old
01-28-2012, 12:28 AM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

just finished the original (swedish) version of "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo."

wowza.

Old
01-28-2012, 08:00 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Did you ever read the book? I'd like to watch the Swedish version and see how it compares. I thought the American version was fine, but it had too much shock value IMO and kind of glossed over the mystery/investigation.

Bowled three halfway decent games last night. Something like 109, 85, 102. Well decent for me I guess.

Also, anyone who plays (or played) hockey should come check out The Rink section of the boards. Spent some time working on a master thread of good discussions topics, like a primer. At the least it's a good time sink for a few hours

Old
01-28-2012, 11:20 AM
Jbcraig1883

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstroundbust View Post
just finished the original (swedish) version of "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo."

wowza.
I just watched the U.S. version. I thought it was OK. I have not read the books so I had to fill in some questions I had via wiki and google.

Old
01-28-2012, 11:31 AM
Dee Oh Cee

The book was great (not as good as the 2nd one I'd say though) and I haven't seen either version of the movie yet...really want to though.

Closed Thread