vsk92
Alltid IFK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apaharn View Post
Maldonaldo takes out Alonso.

Massa wins the race.

Everyone riots for different reasons.
Raikkonen misses the start of the race because he's in the toilet and joins with 15 laps to go and still wins

Old
09-04-2012, 12:43 PM
Pajicz

Send a message via Yahoo to Pajicz
Quote:
Massa wins the race.
So, I guess everyone else will have to retire then?

Old
09-04-2012, 01:49 PM
Apaharn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajicz View Post
So, I guess everyone else will have to retire then?
Not really.

Karthikeyan can stay.

Old
09-05-2012, 11:20 AM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

Lewis Hamilton 'set for move to Mercedes from McLaren'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/19489930

If true

Old
09-05-2012, 12:31 PM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

If I was Rosberg I'd ask to have my contract torn up if that happens tbh, the guy has been very good the last 3 years for Mercedes [in a very average car], patiently waiting for a chance to be the #1 guy at the team, and then they will go and sign Hamilton? Absolutely ****house from Mercedes IMO.

I'd much rather see someone like Hülkenberg given the drive if Schumi does retire, young German [which Mercedes claimed they wanted while back in F1] driver who has been solid in his career to date and still has potential to improve.

You get a good young driver, and Rosberg gets a chance to be the #1 guy, after all you'll never know if he can be if you don't give him a chance.

If it doesn't work out, make a big run at Vettel for 2015, even though he looks like he'd go to Ferrari. Rather not have a money grabbing **** like Hamilton in Mercedes thank you.

Old
09-05-2012, 12:39 PM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

Rosberg, Raikkonen and Kovalainen should make a new team called Two and a Half Finns

Old
09-05-2012, 01:38 PM
Ser Woof
**** The Lounge

Any takers for Massa?

Old
09-05-2012, 03:28 PM
Apaharn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWoof View Post
Any takers for Massa?
He will gain places at the start, be feisty for a few laps, then mentally deflate like a badly cooked soufflé at the first sign of adversity, and Rob Smedley will be snarky throughout it all.

Old
09-06-2012, 10:55 AM
Pajicz

Send a message via Yahoo to Pajicz
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
If I was Rosberg I'd ask to have my contract torn up if that happens tbh, the guy has been very good the last 3 years for Mercedes [in a very average car], patiently waiting for a chance to be the #1 guy at the team, and then they will go and sign Hamilton? Absolutely ****house from Mercedes IMO.

I'd much rather see someone like Hülkenberg given the drive if Schumi does retire, young German [which Mercedes claimed they wanted while back in F1] driver who has been solid in his career to date and still has potential to improve.

You get a good young driver, and Rosberg gets a chance to be the #1 guy, after all you'll never know if he can be if you don't give him a chance.

If it doesn't work out, make a big run at Vettel for 2015, even though he looks like he'd go to Ferrari. Rather not have a money grabbing **** like Hamilton in Mercedes thank you.
In my opinion Rosberg has never been better than just above-average driver, really not #1 driver material. With Hamilton, Merc would get a true superstar, who has potential to win championships...

Old
09-06-2012, 11:22 AM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajicz View Post
In my opinion Rosberg has never been better than just above-average driver, really not #1 driver material. With Hamilton, Merc would get a true superstar, who has potential to win championships...
Rosberg three 7th finishes in the WDC in a row, basically meaning he was the best of the not top team cars. And 7th atm despite likes of Grosjean and Massa having a better car, that's pretty good form. On top of this if he finishes above Schumi this year, it's 4 years in a row outperforming team-mates [Nazakmi(sp), Schumi x3], this sort of form at least warrants the team showing some confidence in him.

The thing that goes against Rosberg is, he's never been blessed with being able to come into a top car straight away [or after a couple of years] in F1, like some other drivers. Another example would be Button, who IMO over the last 4 years has shown he can be a #1 driver if given a half decent car.

Fact of the matter is, Mercedes have yet to have a car that can challenge consistently, when they've had a car that has actually been half decent for the particular circuit he's registered good results.

End of the day, Mercedes don't need a 'superstar', they need a car first and foremost, and spending a massive amount of salary on Hamilton is counter productive to this if recent stories on finances of Mercedes' F1 are anything to go by.

Old
09-06-2012, 04:00 PM
mmbt
Cheeky Monkey

Quote:
On top of this if he finishes above Schumi this year, it's 4 years in a row outperforming team-mates [Nazakmi(sp), Schumi x3], this sort of form at least warrants the team showing some confidence in him.
IMO, Schumacher has had the better drives this year, but has had by far the worst luck amongst the field. A bunch of DNF's due to car failures, or crashes that weren't his fault.

In any case, I hardly think it's that impressive of Rosberg to finish ahead of a washed up MS.

Quote:
The thing that goes against Rosberg is, he's never been blessed with being able to come into a top car straight away [or after a couple of years] in F1, like some other drivers. Another example would be Button, who IMO over the last 4 years has shown he can be a #1 driver if given a half decent car.
That's true, but OTOH looking good in a 2nd tier car doesn't necessarily mean he's championship material either. Whereas with Hamilton, you know that in a good car he can contend and win.

Quote:
First of all, he's all of several months younger than Hamilton, so if he's a young driver then so is Hamilton; and given the choice between good young driver who MIGHT be great in a top car, vs. a young driver who is KNOWN to be great in a top car ... well that's an easy decision.

Furthermore, the idea that Rosberg should want out if LH is signed ... that's just silly. This is F1, it's a ruthless business, most teams outside of Ferrari want the best two drivers they can get, because the sport is first and foremost a team sport, not an individual one.

You want to use Button as an example ... well there's a guy who not only wasn't afraid of being on a team with Hamilton, he sought that challenge out. If Nico's afraid of competing directly with Hamilton or any other elite driver, he should go get a job with HRT or Caterham. Anyone with any aspirations of contending at the front of the field, can't be afraid of a strong teammate. Because most of the good teams aren't going to want just one good driver paired with a scrub.

If Rosberg really is as wonderful a driver as you think he is, then he should do just fine in the same equipment as Hamilton. And regardless of whether or not Hamilton goes there ... if they DO manage to develop a top car, it won't be long before another top driver will gladly take that other spot anyway.

Old
09-07-2012, 01:58 AM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbt View Post
IMO, Schumacher has had the better drives this year, but has had by far the worst luck amongst the field. A bunch of DNF's due to car failures, or crashes that weren't his fault.

In any case, I hardly think it's that impressive of Rosberg to finish ahead of a washed up MS.

That's true, but OTOH looking good in a 2nd tier car doesn't necessarily mean he's championship material either. Whereas with Hamilton, you know that in a good car he can contend and win.

First of all, he's all of several months younger than Hamilton, so if he's a young driver then so is Hamilton; and given the choice between good young driver who MIGHT be great in a top car, vs. a young driver who is KNOWN to be great in a top car ... well that's an easy decision.

Furthermore, the idea that Rosberg should want out if LH is signed ... that's just silly. This is F1, it's a ruthless business, most teams outside of Ferrari want the best two drivers they can get, because the sport is first and foremost a team sport, not an individual one.

You want to use Button as an example ... well there's a guy who not only wasn't afraid of being on a team with Hamilton, he sought that challenge out. If Nico's afraid of competing directly with Hamilton or any other elite driver, he should go get a job with HRT or Caterham. Anyone with any aspirations of contending at the front of the field, can't be afraid of a strong teammate. Because most of the good teams aren't going to want just one good driver paired with a scrub.

If Rosberg really is as wonderful a driver as you think he is, then he should do just fine in the same equipment as Hamilton. And regardless of whether or not Hamilton goes there ... if they DO manage to develop a top car, it won't be long before another top driver will gladly take that other spot anyway.
Yes Schumi has had good drives this year and could of had some good results, but Rosberg has some equally good drives and has got the results, even if Schumi has had a lot of misfortune.

Hey, don't even look at the team-mate battle if that's your thoughts on it, fact is he's still finished best of the non best cars, and has shown he can be a very good driver if he has the car.

Nico Hülkenberg = 25
Lewis Hamilton = 27

So not sure where the couple of months thing has come from really (never mind the fact I never said Hamilton wasn't a good young driver)

There is about a 0% chance Rosberg gets the chance to be the guy if Hamilton comes in, he'll be playing a supporting role because Hamilton wants to be the guy, and wants the big fat paypacket (along with the media opportunities)

Pairing Hülkenberg with Rosberg is hardly pairing a scrub with Rosberg to be honest.

I'm not even a big Rosberg supporter so don't make lame comments like this "If Rosberg really is as wonderful a driver as you think he is", I see you're trying to be snide, but eh.

Just think there are more important things for Mercedes to spend their limited resources on then a big paypacket for a top driver at this stage, when you could get Hülkenberg or even di Resta who both have potential to be top drivers plus Rosberg who has shown himself to be a very capable driver in the limited cars he's been in to date, specially when Mercedes are probably still some way off having a top car that can challenge consistently, why not give one of the young drivers who came up in the Mercedes program a chance to show what they can do?

No point committing to a 60m+ contract if you plan to cut your funding in the next couple of years, this money is better spent on the car to get better results thus more prize money then you can look at luring biggest drivers.

Neither of those two are scrub drivers by any stretch and have both done well in lesser teams, most of the top drivers have to do their dues in the lower teams, before getting a chance in a top team. di Resta isn't a perfect situation, but he's a young guy who has been impressive during his team in Force India, and at a quarter of the price I bet.

Not saying that Rosberg is scared either (how would I know?). But there are lots of examples of top teams pairing a 'weaker driver', even in the last few years:
Renault: Alonso - Piquet
McLaren: Hamilton - Kovalainen
Brawn: Button - Barrichello
Red Bull: Vettel-Webber (Though Webber has stepped it up this season)

Then again they have all won Championships, but at same time have had one of the top cars at one stage or another, something Mercedes is yet to have.

It's a different story if Mercedes already has a top car consistently like a Red Bull or Ferrari, but they really don't, and are a long way off having one at this stage.

I just think Rosberg has been consistently good enough and loyal to Mercedes to warrant being a given a go to be the #1 guy, if you disagree that's fine, but I highly doubt spending lots and lots of money on a top driver leaving you short in terms of developing a car is a good strategy for the team.

Last edited by mightyquack: 09-07-2012 at 05:54 AM.
Old
09-07-2012, 11:54 AM
mmbt
Cheeky Monkey

Quote:
Nico Hülkenberg = 25
Lewis Hamilton = 27

So not sure where the couple of months thing has come from really (never mind the fact I never said Hamilton wasn't a good young driver)
Oh, I thought you meant Nico ROSBERG, not Hulkenberg.

Quote:
There is about a 0% chance Rosberg gets the chance to be the guy if Hamilton comes in, he'll be playing a supporting role because Hamilton wants to be the guy, and wants the big fat paypacket (along with the media opportunities)
Doesn't matter if Hamilton comes in or not, Rosberg still has every chance. It's like when Lewis came into F1 his rookie year with a defending two-time champ as his teammate ... at the end of the day, if you're good, you'll show it.

Quote:
Pairing Hülkenberg with Rosberg is hardly pairing a scrub with Rosberg to be honest.
I do regard Hulkenberg pretty highly. And he'd certainly cost less than LH. But hey, if Mercedes feel they can afford Lewis, they'd be stupid to pass just because they're afraid of pissing off Rosberg.

Quote:
I'm not even a big Rosberg supporter so don't make lame comments like this "If Rosberg really is as wonderful a driver as you think he is", I see you're trying to be snide, but eh.
Not being snide, I simply think that to have unequivocal #1 status on a team to the point where, as YOU suggested, that he shouldn't have to deal with a potentially great teammate coming in, then he damn well better be on the level of one of the giants of the sport. I mean, if you don't think he's necessarily all that great, then why are you suggesting that an F1 team should just hand over #1 status to him? This is a huge business with high stakes, no one hands anyone anything.

Quote:
Just think there are more important things for Mercedes to spend their limited resources on then a big paypacket for a top driver at this stage, when you could get Hülkenberg or even di Resta who both have potential to be top drivers plus Rosberg who has shown himself to be a very capable driver in the limited cars he's been in to date, specially when Mercedes are probably still some way off having a top car that can challenge consistently, why not give one of the young drivers who came up in the Mercedes program a chance to show what they can do?
Well, budget is certainly a fair concern. But again, that's for the beancounters to figure out. And he'll still have a chance no matter who his teammate is to show what he can do.

Quote:
Not saying that Rosberg is scared either (how would I know?). But there are lots of examples of top teams pairing a 'weaker driver', even in the last few years:
Not always because of a desire for a #1 and a #2 pecking order, but rather because of cost, availability, etc..

Quote:
Renault: Alonso - Piquet
Yeah, well I think it would have been tough to find a remotely comparable driver to Alonso. He is the best on the grid. Almost anyone they could have realistically gotten would have been #2 to him.

Quote:
McLaren: Hamilton - Kovalainen
Alonso had just left. Kovaleinen was at that point considered, much like di Resta now, a pretty promising young driver. Of course, when it became clear he wasn't going to become an elite driver, what'd McLaren do? They went and hired the latest champion driver, even though Lewis was already there. Did you feel like Lewis should have taken offense, as you suggest Nico should if LH goes to Merc?

Quote:
Brawn: Button - Barrichello
Rubens was a very good driver. Granted, not quite elite, but far from a scrub. With testing being limited, an experienced guy like him became rather valuable. And at the time, I don't think most people saw Button as a #1 ... if anything, his career had been a bit of a disappointment til then.

Quote:
Red Bull: Vettel-Webber (Though Webber has stepped it up this season)
Webber has been neck and neck with Vettel two out of the last three seasons. It's become quite clear that the EBD on the Rb7 really really suited Vettel but not Webber. But MW has been a quality driver for a long time. Vettel's special though, and outside of Alonso or Lewis almost anyone they could have paired with him would be a "weaker" driver.

Quote:
It's a different story if Mercedes already has a top car consistently like a Red Bull or Ferrari, but they really don't, and are a long way off having one at this stage.
Which is why I think LH would be crazy to go to that team. But if they did somehow come up with a top car, you really think that star drivers won't come knocking?

Quote:
I just think Rosberg has been consistently good enough and loyal to Mercedes to warrant being a given a go to be the #1 guy, if you disagree that's fine, but I highly doubt spending lots and lots of money on a top driver leaving you short in terms of developing a car is a good strategy for the team.
"#1 guy" means nothing. In the end, it's all about performance, and you get what you earn. Alonso was signed as a #1 guy at McLaren, and got nipped by a rookie. Heck, even at Ferrari, the one team that's shown blatantly that they have a pecking order over the years ... in '07 Kimi wins, but it didn't mean that the next year that Massa wouldn't be given a chance to outperform him.

Look at it this way, how much would Nico's stock go up if Lewis goes there, and Nico beats him? His career would be boosted tremendously. OTOH, if Rosberg isn't as good and gets trounced, then he doesn't deserve #1 status on a good team anyway. If Lewis goes there, it's up to Rosberg's *ability* whether he'll go the route of Lewis when Alonso came to McLaren, or if he's going to go the route of Massa when Alonso went to Ferrari.

Last edited by mmbt: 09-07-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old
09-08-2012, 08:15 AM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

Starting places for tomorrow's race

1: L Hamilton
2: J Button
3: F Massa
4: P Di Resta
5: M Schumacher
6: S Vettel
7: N Rosberg
8: K Raikkonen
9: Kobayashi
10: F Alonso
11: M Webber
12: P Maldonado
13: S Perez
14: B Senna
15: D Ricciardo
16: J d'Ambrosio
17: J Vergne
18: H Kovalainen
19: V Petrov
20: T Glock
21: C Pic
22: N Karthikeyan
23: P de la Rosa
24: N Hulkenberg

Old
09-08-2012, 08:35 AM
Ser Woof
**** The Lounge

The hell? Massa 3rd... Alonso 10th? What happened?

Old
09-08-2012, 08:37 AM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

Quote:
Massa sold his soul to the devil?

Old
09-08-2012, 12:01 PM
Apaharn

Quote:
Alonso's rear anti-roll bar broke on the first lap of Q3.

And the first sign that the world will end on Dec 21 has been opened.

The second sign will be if Massa wins/is on the podium.

Old
09-08-2012, 12:57 PM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

So Alonso to get destroyed tomorrow again... maldonado will do a strike

Old
09-08-2012, 01:36 PM
Apaharn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasilevski View Post
So Alonso to get destroyed tomorrow again... maldonado will do a strike
Well, Maldonaldo will start 22nd after his 10 place grid penalty so he has a lot of cars/targets between him and Alonso, so he should be safe. Unless Maldonaldo draws some inspiration from Liuzzi at the start...

Old
09-08-2012, 04:33 PM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

Would a race be restarted if there was a crash between 3-4 cars at the start of the race and they would block the whole road preventing cars from getting past except the one's that were already in front before it happened?

ie. Alonso, Vettel, Raikkonen and Button were away but Hamilton, Webber and everyone else could not get past the cars in the crash

Old
09-08-2012, 04:39 PM
The Poacher

Really excited about the race tomorrow. Watched practice yesterday, taped qualifying today. I'm relatively new to F1, how’s this track when it comes to passing. It seems like it’s very fast I would guess the passing areas would be right before the chicanes (seems rather difficult) and then on the straights with the wing open… that about right?

GO Raikkonen!!

Old
09-08-2012, 05:56 PM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

Quote:
Well, Maldonaldo will start 22nd after his 10 place grid penalty so he has a lot of cars/targets between him and Alonso, so he should be safe. Unless Maldonaldo draws some inspiration from Liuzzi at the start...

Its true, I didn't remember the 10 place penalty...

Old
09-09-2012, 01:17 AM
Everlong
-

A chance for Massa to reach the podium perhaps? Crazier things have happened, like Schumi finishing a race.

Should be exciting. Pole positions 6-12 have alot of depth. Lets go Vettel.

Closed Thread