HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Game #47: St. Louis Blues vs. Buffalo Sabres

Old
01-21-2012, 09:21 AM
Blanick
Winter is coming

vCash: 50
Game #47: St. Louis Blues vs. Buffalo Sabres

VS.

AT

TEAM COMPARISONS

WESTERN CONFERENCE STANDINGS

LAST TIME

STARTING LINEUPS

Perron-Backes-Stewart
D'Agostini-Berglund-Oshie
Sobotka-Arnott-Langenbrunner
Crombeen-Nichol-Reaves

Colaiacovo-Pietrangelo
Jackman-Shattenkirk
Russell-Polak

Halak
Elliott

SABRES

Gerbe-Roy-Stafford
Vanek-Hecht-Pominville
Leino-Adam-Kaleta
McCormick-Ellis-Boyes

Sekera-Myers
Brennan-Leopold
Weber-Gragnani

Miller
Enroth

**Road weary Sabres face hot at home Blues**

**Stillman signs purchase agreement**

**Bishop looking to get traded?, Hitch not happy with offense**

**Hitch wants more of a presence infront of the net**

MEDIA

Blanick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 09:26 AM
GOBLUES4257

vCash: 500
Blues should win this one easy.

GOBLUES4257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 09:34 AM
Falco Lombardi
LET'S GO BLUES

Any word on Steen. 101.1 ESPN said he'd play tonight but haven't heard that anywhere else.

and ROFL at 4 million dollar RW Brad Boyes being a fourth liner

Falco Lombardi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 09:37 AM
Blanick
Winter is coming

One thing we all know about the NHL, just because you "should" win doesn't mean you will win. Gotta bring it this game. Despite their record Buffalo is still a very dangerous team. Miller's confidence is low so if he is starting we have to pepper him with shots and more importantly get a couple by.

Our offense really has to step it up. I mean we are due for an offensive explosion, but a win is a win so I would rather see us win 1-0 instead of losing 9-8.

Old
01-21-2012, 09:39 AM
Blanick
Winter is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco Lombardi View Post
Any word on Steen. 101.1 ESPN said he'd play tonight but haven't heard that anywhere else.

and ROFL at 4 million dollar RW Brad Boyes being a fourth liner
There is a rumor that he would be able to go but nothing has been confirmed. If he is in I see the lines folding out like this:

Steen-Backes-Oshie ---- why mess with this line
Perron-Berglund-Stewart
Sobotka-Arnott-D'Agostini
Reaves-Nichol-Langenbrunner

Old
01-21-2012, 11:22 AM
The Note
Expectations: Low

Just like the EDM game a game we should win. But as they should have seen if you let teams hang around, things become closer than they need to be. Hopefully they bury them early and there's no worries tonight

The Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 11:23 AM
BergMan
#BackesForSelke

Strickland tweeted that Steen is not playing. If he isn't we are at about 2 weeks or so of "Steen is ready... Nahh we decided to wait just one more game"

Lots of central vs central matchups tonight. Go jackets and preds! lol

Its preds - Chicago and Detroit - jackets

BergMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 11:45 AM
Steveshutt

You guys know if Halak is starting for sure? He's my fantasy goalie

Love what you guys are doing by the way. I started following you because of Jaro but love the way you epitomize TEAM.

Best of luck the rest of the way...

Steveshutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 12:26 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2370
With our offence struggling, we need to get on them early and not let up. I would hate to see the Blues let Buffalo find their game again. That being said, I doubt they can handle being hit every shift. Blues get a power play goal in a 3-1 win.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 12:32 PM
sh724

As bad as Buffalo has been playing I have a really bad feeling about this game

sh724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 12:49 PM
kittensmasher
moe.ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorton724 View Post
As bad as Buffalo has been playing I have a really bad feeling about this game
Heh...somebody in the GDT always has a "bad feeling" whenever the Blues play a poor/struggling team I think I know where you're coming from though - every game for me this season has felt like a big game regardless of the opponent (and the feeling never gets old). Another important 2 points on the line tonight against a team we should beat, especially considering the back-to-back against Detroit and Pittsburgh will be a major challenge. Gonna be at least one other Central team not named Columbus losing tonight, and the Blues need to take advantage.

kittensmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 12:53 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Strickland tweeted that Steen wouldn't be playing

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 01:20 PM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

hope we don`t boost Millers confidence with hundreds of shots on his chest

if thats the case we`ve to keep Vanek and Pommer down and should win this one

I predict a 1:0 or 2:1 victory

LET`S GO BLUES!

frostyflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 01:47 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Buffalo is a total disaster right now. I mean they are in meltdown mode. They'd have fired at least one of the coach/GM ordinarily but for Pegula's umpteen absolute statements about not firing either. This is a broken team that has pretty much quit on each other.

If the Blues get any offense going early, I could see it being a blowout. However, if the Blues do the same thing as the previous two games, wait til late in the third to score, the Sabres might wake up and seize this one just out of feeling desperate to win. If the Blues get anything early, the Sabres will likely quit again. This was pegged as a season defining road trip and they went out and promptly lost to hapless NYI 4-2. Then quit in Detroit, quit in Chicago, got beaten badly in Winnipeg. This is the fifth game in that wonderful sequence.

The fact that Hitchcock has the team focused on its offense makes me think the Blues will be bearing down from the getgo and will probably have one of their easier wins.

Not to mention, the Blues have allowed two goals in eight games (six shutouts) overlapping with a debate, caucus or primary, and tonight's the third primary.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 02:44 PM
sh724

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittensmasher View Post
Heh...somebody in the GDT always has a "bad feeling" whenever the Blues play a poor/struggling team I think I know where you're coming from though - every game for me this season has felt like a big game regardless of the opponent (and the feeling never gets old). Another important 2 points on the line tonight against a team we should beat, especially considering the back-to-back against Detroit and Pittsburgh will be a major challenge. Gonna be at least one other Central team not named Columbus losing tonight, and the Blues need to take advantage.
Yea but unless we are playing detroit or chicago I think we will have a good chance, today just seems different. And im not just talking about this year thats the way i have been the last few years

sh724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 03:41 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Memory Lane thread so full of win I don't know where to start.

Old
01-21-2012, 04:19 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

I wonder if Hitch would ever experiment with Sobotka in Berglund's spot? Probably won't happen, unless Berglund gets 0 points over an extended stretch and plays bad or if the team goes on a bad stretch, but I think it could be worth a look. An injury might also have to happen, but the offensive production isn't that different between the 2 and Sobotka is a lot better defensively. I think Sobotka would bring something different to the 2nd line and could create some more production.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 04:24 PM
bluesman11
Robert Johnson

vCash: 125
I hope they're focused on tonight and not looking ahead to Detroit in Detroit.

bluesman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 04:41 PM
h22prelude93

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
I wonder if Hitch would ever experiment with Sobotka in Berglund's spot? Probably won't happen, unless Berglund gets 0 points over an extended stretch and plays bad or if the team goes on a bad stretch, but I think it could be worth a look. An injury might also have to happen, but the offensive production isn't that different between the 2 and Sobotka is a lot better defensively. I think Sobotka would bring something different to the 2nd line and could create some more production.
I think he'll get demoted to third line before that happens. His face-offs are really picking up lately, and despite his lack of production he is doing just fine in just about every area other than scoring. Personally, I'd like to see him stay put for a while, and maybe try him on wing when McDonald returns(If he's still in fact struggling offensively). I can understand why people are frustrated with Berglund, but I can assure you no one is as frustrated with Berglund as he is with himself. And to me that shows that he's a guy who cares, and is going to continue work hard to become a better player. The effort is there IMO, and if he continues to bear down the production will follow.

h22prelude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 04:58 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by h22prelude93 View Post
I think he'll get demoted to third line before that happens. His face-offs are really picking up lately, and despite his lack of production he is doing just fine in just about every area other than scoring. Personally, I'd like to see him stay put for a while, and maybe try him on wing when McDonald returns(If he's still in fact struggling offensively). I can understand why people are frustrated with Berglund, but I can assure you no one is as frustrated with Berglund as he is with himself. And to me that shows that he's a guy who cares, and is going to continue work hard to become a better player. The effort is there IMO, and if he continues to bear down the production will follow.
That is true that he cares, never questioned it, but that doesn't mean the production will come.

Personally I want to see Oshie stay with Backes and Perron because that line works great. I think Sobotka's energy and tenacity would be great on a line with Stewart, especially with Sobotka playing center. I don't want this viewed as Berglund hate, I just think a different look would do some good.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 05:16 PM
SteenMachine

I think that's the true frustration with / for Berglund, he's getting the scoring chances, he's in position, he's finding his teammates stick... just never seems to beat the goalie or get on net.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 05:19 PM
The Grouch
Enraged

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Memory Lane thread so full of win I don't know where to start.

That thread is fantastic! I'm not sure of the origin, but there always seems to be an underlying animosity between Blues and Sabres fans.

The Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 05:20 PM
h22prelude93

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
That is true that he cares, never questioned it, but that doesn't mean the production will come.

Personally I want to see Oshie stay with Backes and Perron because that line works great. I think Sobotka's energy and tenacity would be great on a line with Stewart, especially with Sobotka playing center. I don't want this viewed as Berglund hate, I just think a different look would do some good.
Of course nothing is guaranteed, but I think Berglund's production will pick up soon. What I would do is stick Perron back on Berglund's right side. Do you guys remember how well those two played together in the past? Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe that was when Perron was playing the right wing. It was like they always knew where the other one was. The problem right now is we need Perron to continuing playing on the left until Amac and/or Steen return. What do you guys think about these lines heading into the play-offs?
Amac-Backes-Oshie
Steen-Berglund-Perron
D'Ags-Arnott-Stewart
Sobotka-Nichol-Lang/Reaves

h22prelude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 05:27 PM
The Note
Expectations: Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grouch View Post
That thread is fantastic! I'm not sure of the origin, but there always seems to be an underlying animosity between Blues and Sabres fans.
I think that it comes from the franchises being so much alike. Animosity clearly represented in this gem from over summer http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=920672

The Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 05:46 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Note View Post
I think that it comes from the franchises being so much alike. Animosity clearly represented in this gem from over summer http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=920672
Oh thank you. I missed that gem.