HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Dolan crawls out of the woodwork......"says cup in near"

Old
01-17-2012, 11:11 PM
noupf

vCash: 500
NEW YORK -- In a rare, impromptu news conference with the media Tuesday night, New York Rangers team owner James Dolan said he feels his Blueshirts are closing in on the Stanley Cup Championship.

"I'm very proud of the organization," said Dolan following the team's 3-0 win over Nashville. "I'm particularly proud of Mr. (Glen) Sather because all the way back to 2004 when things weren't going so well and we had a lot of free agents here and we decided to basically re-do the strategy, Glen and I made a pact."

"I gave him something, which I won't reveal today, but I gave him something to seal the pact. I said 'You can't give it back to me until we win the Stanley Cup.' And I think we're pretty close to getting that thing back," said Dolan, who has not addressed the Rangers media since the 2005-06 season.

Dolan went on to laud his general manager for constructing the team the right way -- building through the draft and cultivating a foundation of home-grown nucleus players.

"For me it's all about the system he built -- of course its great coaching -- but it's about the farm system, the scouting system and the development -- going with kids -- and sticking with that philosophy even at times when it didn't look so good. So, I'm very proud of him and the organization," Dolan said.

With their shutout win over the streaking Predators, Dolan's Rangers are 29-11-4, which puts them first in the NHL standings with 62 points and three points ahead of the Boston Bruins in the Eastern Conference. But even after the surprise endorsement from his owner, coach John Tortorella said he didn't want his squad overlooking the task at hand.

"I have my owner up here talking about a Stanley Cup. That's a bunch of bull----," Tortorella countered good-naturedly. "We need to take one game at a time."

The team's .705 winning percentage through 44 games is the team's best start in 40 years and the third best start in franchise history.

Although Sather's tenure as general manager has, at times, been characterized by his willingness to throw loads of cash at some of the league's biggest free agents, the team is enjoying success with a promising crop of young, home-grown talent. Of the team's 20 players on Tuesday's roster, eight were Rangers draft picks.

Dolan isn't the only one within the organization to share his lofty postseason expectations. Sather guaranteed a Stanley Cup championship during a Winter Classic press conference in Philadelphia this September. He also guaranteed the Rangers would beat the Flyers on Jan. 2 (they did, 3-2) and that the New York Yankees would win the World Series (they didn't, The St. Louis Cardinals did).

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/story/_/id/7473696/

noupf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:13 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

link?

edit: thanks

Last edited by wolfgaze: 01-17-2012 at 11:24 PM.
wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:13 PM
noupf

Seriously Dolan.......keep your damn mouth shut. Only a moron like you, who knows d-ck about hockey, would come out in January and say that the cup is near.

Go f-ck up the knicks for another 20 years and leave the Rangers to people who know a little something about hockey.

Old
01-17-2012, 11:14 PM
robwrx04

Quoted from NHL.com

"I have my owner up here talking about a Stanley Cup. That's a bunch of (expletive)," Tortorella said. "We need to take it one game at a time."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=612291

OPs Quote

"I have my owner up here talking about a Stanley Cup. That's a bunch of bull----," Tortorella countered good-naturedly. "We need to take one game at a time."

Weird.

robwrx04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:14 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

I bet you, you can ask Dolan to name 5 current Rangers and he couldn't do it.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:19 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Who wants to bet Tortorella gets fired tomorrow.

Dolan will take over as head coach.

I don't care if his says it to the media. But the very worst thing he can do is go into the locker room, and interrupt the team spirit with random support from the extremely complex and Kafkaesque power structure that is the Rangers org. Players need coaching and motivation from Torts. Their agents work with Sather for deals. There should be no interaction with the owner.

01-17-2012, 11:19 PM
noupf

Quote:
Originally Posted by robwrx04 View Post
Quoted from NHL.com

"I have my owner up here talking about a Stanley Cup. That's a bunch of (expletive)," Tortorella said. "We need to take it one game at a time."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=612291

OPs Quote

Weird.
seriously.......i got it from espn too. Very odd.......

Old
01-17-2012, 11:23 PM
NYRangers16

god Dolan needs to **** before karma bites his ass..no talking about trophies during the season...that's just asking for the universe to **** with you

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:31 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
we will now lose every game for the rest of the season

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:35 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
first the MSG/TWC crap, and now this.

Someone needs to beat some sense into this guy

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:36 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Sounds like a PR ploy regarding the dispute with Time Warner.

Either way, its a dispicable act from a dispicable man

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:53 PM
Pizza

There had to be cameras rolling. Love to see a clip of this.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:58 PM
nyrfan1026

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
There had to be cameras rolling. Love to see a clip of this.
Carp has audio on his blog.

nyrfan1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:28 AM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Oh my good God.

This is straight out of major league. Fire up a losing streak.

Back up the truck, back it up! Turn this place into a parking lot.

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:37 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

I dont understand the Dolan hate. All he ever did was give his GMs maximum money possible, which is all one can ask of an owner.

He made the right decision not endanger Sather's job once rebuilding began. Either go with Sather in 2004 or dont, but once Sather was allowed to stay in 2004, he deserved time.

Had Sather been fired in 2006 or 2007, the rebuilding would have ended and any replacement GM would be too scared to renups slowly, but properly.

Dolan was also right to recognize in 2004 that Sather will no longer act the same way as he did before.

Since 2004, Sather did a great job rebuilding. I know there are people who will say that until he wins the Cup, he should be seen as a terrible manager, but this is the kind of thinking that leads to GMs sacrifice the future for just a mediocre present. If people can't recognize progress while the team is in the middle of the road, then this road must be very brief, even if it means the team never becomes good enough to contend.

The Rangers are the top team in the league. That is an accomplishment, and I am glad Dolan is giving credit where credit is due.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:46 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

This is Dolan warming the media and fanbase up for the fact that they're about to make a trade for a player with a horrible contract.

Terrific job, Glen. You benefited from a number of fortunate chance events. You also hired some pretty terrific hockey people to clean up the mess you and the people you initially hired made before and continued to make during the rehabilitation process this team needed to undergo.

Bravo.

Last edited by NYR Sting: 01-18-2012 at 01:14 AM.
NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 01:09 AM
DM Smiths
Rookie User

Sounds like he wants credit.

DM Smiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 04:28 AM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
I dont understand the Dolan hate. All he ever did was give his GMs maximum money possible, which is all one can ask of an owner.

He made the right decision not endanger Sather's job once rebuilding began. Either go with Sather in 2004 or dont, but once Sather was allowed to stay in 2004, he deserved time.

Had Sather been fired in 2006 or 2007, the rebuilding would have ended and any replacement GM would be too scared to renups slowly, but properly.

Dolan was also right to recognize in 2004 that Sather will no longer act the same way as he did before.

Since 2004, Sather did a great job rebuilding. I know there are people who will say that until he wins the Cup, he should be seen as a terrible manager, but this is the kind of thinking that leads to GMs sacrifice the future for just a mediocre present. If people can't recognize progress while the team is in the middle of the road, then this road must be very brief, even if it means the team never becomes good enough to contend.

The Rangers are the top team in the league. That is an accomplishment, and I am glad Dolan is giving credit where credit is due.
I was going to post something similar. Aside from hiring and keeping Sather ( a debate for different day), all Dolan has done is throw $$ at the team. He doesn't interfere, he just let's the President and the GM run the hockey team, what more do people want from the owner? he came out and said he thinks his team is near the cup, what's the big deal/problem with this?

I understand that there may be some Cablevision issues i'm not aware of, but a lot of this hate seems odd.

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 05:01 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Everybody's mad BECAUSE he never came and bothered the club. Now his Knicks endeavors failed and now he's latching onto his successful team.

Dolan is one of the biggest idiots involved in sports. I don't want him to suddenly take an interest in my favorite team.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 05:09 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Hopefully he doesn't speak to the media about the Rangers for another 5 years. Idiot.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 06:01 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Dolan sees $$$$$. He sees a team built the right way so they can compete for years, not just one. Good team means increased jersey, concesiion, advertising revenue. Deep playoff runs means more ticket revenue.

He's probably happier then a pig in *****. He probably isn't going to see that from the Knicks for a while.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 06:28 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Why all of the Dolan hate? He was part of the NBA negotiating committee. The NBA agreed to keep the cap at $58M for the first two years of their CBA. Dolan agreed to more revenue sharing. Dolan is kicking in $50M into NBA revenue sharing. The big market teams such as Dolan agreed to sharing more of their money and they wanted something back for it. Keeping their flexibility. The same could scenario work with the NHL. Dolan agrees to share more revenue and the Rangers can keep their team together. That's bad?

November 1,2011

Quote:
Knicks owner James Dolan is frustrated the lockout rages on and the club’s season opener tomorrow against the Heat at the Garden has been wiped out. But Dolan, part of the owners’ negotiating committee, is content about one of the agreed-upon aspects of a new collective bargaining agreement: the size of the salary cap will not go down.

More than any team in the NBA, that will benefit Dolan’s big-market Knicks the most, ironically.

According to multiple sources, one of the resolved issues in a new CBA is the 2011 salary cap will remain at the level as it was in 2010 -- $58 million.
Quote:
According to a players source, Dolan has been the least combative of the owners and often serves as a mediator during contentious moments.

“He’s tried to keep the parties on point,’’ the source said. “He’s trying to make a deal, seeing a positive spin. He’s been, in a word, productive.’’
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knick...qYYk4xR4CJ3ApO

Why all of the Knick hate? Walsh hired D'Antoni. Now D'Antoni is the big issue. Dolan didn't hire him. The Knicks get Davis back from his back injury soon.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 06:29 AM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Dolan can suck my balls.

He's acknowledged the existence of the team about 3 times that I can remember since he's been the owner.

If he's so happy with the direction of the team, stop having the Rangers bumped to MSG2 on nights when the Knicks are playing. And tell the freaking papers to put us on the back page after a win.

Other then that, stay the **** away from the team.

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 06:31 AM
charlie460
Stone Age Hockey

There's audio here:

http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/2012/0...aks-post-game/

Including the Dolan/Tortorella exchange. Dolan leaves the room after answering two questions.

When he mentions “Stanley Cup” Tortorella can be heard saying, “Easy.”

charlie460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 06:39 AM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post

this! show some respect and class! What does dumping on ownership accomplish? I guess we have our fair share of mutts just
like any fanbase.

it is, what it is. this is also a business. nothing wrong with what Mr. Dolan did, and he's right... we're getting "pretty close"

stop with this karma superstitious BS! you sound like my old italian grandmother in black, crying over statues...

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote