HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

lower back pain after extended shifts on the ice

Old
01-21-2014, 07:56 PM
BearFlag

vCash: 500
lower back pain after extended shifts on the ice

My lower back hurts when I play pickup after numerous long shifts but itís alright during games because our shifts are 2min or less. Does anyone else experience lower back pain after several extended shifts? If so, you guys do any exercises to build up your lower back?

Again this only happens when Iím playing for a long time during pick-up games. Not sure if this is normal. Maybe Iím bending over too much while skating but I actively try not to bend too far forward.

BearFlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 08:39 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
I have before, but it was mostly when I first got back out on the ice. Once I was out there for a while/played for a while they would go away.

Do you play regularly ?

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 09:20 PM
BearFlag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
I have before, but it was mostly when I first got back out on the ice. Once I was out there for a while/played for a while they would go away.

Do you play regularly ?
I started playing as an adult over a year ago, but I do play regularly. Again, its not in a game situation, only when I have to be on the ice constantly for extended periods of time, like during pickup when there are only 2 guys on the bench.

Maybe it is my posture then.

Old
01-21-2014, 09:31 PM
CarpeNoctem
TKO Time

It's because you need to bend your knees more. This will happen the first 10-20 minutes when I'm on the ice. Once my legs loosen up and I bend more, it's gone. Also, loosen up your back first. Lower and upper back stretching.

CarpeNoctem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 11:47 PM
tfong

Not to mention you might have tight hamstrings if u have an office job like me all day.

tfong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 09:06 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

It's probably a combination of posture and conditioning. Pickup games with short benches can be brutal, you're using muscles for an extended period of time when you're conditioned to use them in short bursts.

Think about it this way: you can very easily reach up and change a light bulb without straining your arms. But if you were to stand there with your arms over your head and change the entire fixture over the course of 30 minutes, chances are you'd have some very sore arms. It's nothing to worry about really.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 10:15 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

One (or both) of two things:

- When you first start playing, or start playing more, you are using muscles in your lower back for balance. I will get a sore lower back if I play more than normal. Make sure to stretch afterwards and it should improve over time.

- Poor posture on the ice can lead to lower back pain as you kind of hunch over. Make sure to keep your knees bent and stick out your butt so your lower back is flat. If you need to strengthen, you can do variants of squat and deadlift exercises, even with no weight at all, and that will help those muscles. Just focus on the form (look up videos by Dan John for more on that).

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 10:36 AM
Canadiens1958

Shoes/Skates

The change from shoes to skates is a factor as well. Shoes or boots that are similar to your skates relative to a flat surface. Avoiding any type of heel in your footwear should ease your skating.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 11:31 AM
BearFlag

I do have an office job all day.

Yeah, it probably is a combination of posture and conditioning. I'll work on trying to keep my knees bent more, not leaning over too much, and stretching more before I start.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Old
01-22-2014, 11:56 AM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
You could try to sit in your chair like how your back would be if you were skating, but people might make fun of you for sitting awkwardly...

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 02:57 PM
goonx

go out on public skate times and practice skating in a knees-bent position. Focus on your body position (and usually figure skating rinks have mirrors).

Poor posture is usually because you haven't mastered your balance yet. keep your back straight and head-up during these "practice" sessions and you'll start noticing that you'll be more balanced on the ice.

While playing hockey, you tend to look "down" at the puck at lot more than you should. Therefore, the only good way to practice in my opinion is to practice without the puck
(better for vision as welll)

goonx is offline   Reply With Quote