HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2011-12 Season Thread (Pt.7)

Closed Thread

Old
01-25-2012, 10:07 PM
dereksutton9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
I think it's a great idea...only because the OHL is piggy-backing on the NHL. No way this is used to generate money. I especially like the idea of a Windsor/Plymouth game. Depending on ticket prices (I think 15USD should be more than fair) I could see those two teams generating 10,000 - 12,000 spectators.
I would agree the audience could get that large but the probable number of fans going (paying) just for those games would be about half. I think the rest of the crowd would be generated from having to purchase a weekend package for the main game at the Big House.

It should be noted that if the Winter Classic were held in Comerica, I doubt the OHL angle would be played. I think the GLI and NCAA would get the undercard spot. However, with the attempt to split the activities over two venues, I think organizers may be looking for filler on the Comerica rink.

I'm guessing Michigan will play their 5th outdoor game in five seasons.

Old
01-25-2012, 10:47 PM
Libbs

Remember not everything needs to be on that weekend. Usually all the auxilery games happen throughout the week.

Old
01-26-2012, 09:50 AM
cfaub

Not a fan of the outdoor games but if they are going to get the OHL involved with these 4 teams and they have an entire week to use up then why not make it a 3 in 3 for all these teams. How often would the fans get the chance to see something like that.

Windsor@ Plymouth - London @ Saginaw
Windsor @ Saginaw - London @ Plymouth
London @ Windsor - Saginaw @ Plymouth

Would be three very fun days of hockey. Just too damn cold at that time of year for my liking though.

Old
01-26-2012, 10:28 AM
RayzorIsDull

I think people are making a bigger deal out of Boughner's comments than they actually should. I still don't think there's any way Pavelka is back next year, he has had a nice season. The only comment I believe Boughner about is not wanting to go with a 17 year old goalie for the playoffs but they still want to develop DeKort. If that's the case how many games will Pavelka play next year 45 or so? Getting a top import player for 60+ games, and possibly 2 more years if he's a 17 year old is much more valuable than a goalie playing 45 games because Pavelka only has 1 year left here he won't be an OA. Boughner isn't just going to say "this is the only year for Pavelka and we are getting rid of him after the season." They will still in all likelihood have a top 15-20 import pick.

Old
01-26-2012, 11:01 AM
izzys

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfaub View Post
Not a fan of the outdoor games but if they are going to get the OHL involved with these 4 teams and they have an entire week to use up then why not make it a 3 in 3 for all these teams. How often would the fans get the chance to see something like that.

Windsor@ Plymouth - London @ Saginaw
Windsor @ Saginaw - London @ Plymouth
London @ Windsor - Saginaw @ Plymouth

Would be three very fun days of hockey. Just too damn cold at that time of year for my liking though.
come to my tailgate and i have something that will warm you right up

Old
01-26-2012, 01:04 PM
RayzorIsDull

At first I thought the outdoor hockey game was pretty cool, a novelty if you will now this outdoor hockey game thing is really becoming a gimmick. Even the OUA had an outdoor game at Ivor Wynne that drew 500 fans . I know this game would never be at Michigan Stadium but even at Comerica how many fans do they think they can draw for this? Maybe 2,000-4,000 for a game. The only place that has really perfected the outdoor game theme is Fenway Park and that has everything to do with the local schools being seperated by a few miles. I have no doubt there will probably be an OHL outdoor game at some point but the crowd will probably be underwhelming. Saginaw Spirit fans aren't going to travel in droves to see their team play at Comerica, the same probably goes for Plymouth.

Old
01-26-2012, 01:21 PM
Libbs

I would think a majority of the tickets will be to Spits fans.Not to mention special events like this draw casual fans just so they could be at the "it" thing at the moment.

Old
01-26-2012, 01:21 PM
dereksutton9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
I have no doubt there will probably be an OHL outdoor game at some point but the crowd will probably be underwhelming. Saginaw Spirit fans aren't going to travel in droves to see their team play at Comerica, the same probably goes for Plymouth.
That's why Windsor and London would be the opponents since these fans travel. I stand by my guess that you'd have 3,000 to 4,000 of these fans buy tickets directly for their OHL games and then you'd probably have another 5,000 stuck with packages that forced buying these games for the main event in Ann Arbor. Tickets sold for the games would reach about 10,000. Actual game attendance, much less.

Quote:
Remember not everything needs to be on that weekend. Usually all the auxilery games happen throughout the week.
Right. Talk radio fodder has stated that the NHL wants to turn the Winter Classic into more of a week long festival for the host city. This would be the first year of executing that vision.

Old
01-26-2012, 01:30 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereksutton9 View Post
That's why Windsor and London would be the opponents since these fans travel. I stand by my guess that you'd have 3,000 to 4,000 of these fans buy tickets directly for their OHL games and then you'd probably have another 5,000 stuck with packages that forced buying these games for the main event in Ann Arbor. Tickets sold for the games would reach about 10,000. Actual game attendance, much less.

Right. Talk radio fodder has stated that the NHL wants to turn the Winter Classic into more of a week long festival for the host city. This would be the first year of executing that vision.
We might be on the same path of thinking then. I am skeptical of London fans travelling down in droves for one game let alone more than one game. Even for playoff games in Plymouth against Windsor you had maybe 1500 Windsor fans and that was for a game that was more important.

Old
01-26-2012, 02:44 PM
hockeylegend11

Spits getting set to take on the Saginaw Spirit,who bring former spits grant webermin
and eric locke to town,it is the ist time that Webermin faces his former mates and the 1st
time in Windsor for Locke against his former team
He was 1 guy I hated to see go last year
Coach Boughner has been preaching all week about the teams lousy record on non
weekend days especially on thursdays
Windsor is currently at home on Sat and sundays a combined 7-2 and on the other nites
are a terrible 4-7-2-1 at home rather dumbfounding
Pavelka expected to get the start,Saginaw comes into this game 3-0-0-2 in its last 5
while windsor currently riding a 2-0 winning streak and also is 4-3 in its last 7
Saginaw has picked it up since the dismissal of Todd Watson, and only trails the Spits
by 1 pt and they have a game in hand
The 2 teams will meet 1 more time after tonite,on Fri March 16,2nd last game of the reg season for Windsor
Devlin serves his last game tonite with his 5 gamer,while derek Holden still is 2-3 weeks away from coming back

Old
01-26-2012, 07:46 PM
go4john

Ebert is a mirage. Lazy one minute, great in the play the next.

Old
01-26-2012, 07:53 PM
Libbs

Could he have been more lackadaisical on that PP. He was caught flat footed and had to take a penalty.

Great period overall. Time to keep up the prssure and not sit on this lead like they did Sunday against SSM.

Old
01-26-2012, 08:01 PM
Libbs

Well done Ebert....your lazy penalty just resulted in a PP goal against.

Old
01-26-2012, 08:16 PM
Libbs

I don't think I've EVER seen a team that has had so much trouble clearing their own zone as this Spits team. Just brutal...

Old
01-26-2012, 08:29 PM
Libbs

I guess the refs thought the need to help Saginaw back into the game. Just some ugly officiating.

Old
01-26-2012, 08:39 PM
go4john

There is no compete in Ebert, I don't get this kid at all. He's got some tools, but desire is absent. At what point do you sit Ebert so he can give his head a shake?? Pavelka again is on his own a lot. The officiating is rough at best. Every game is a playoff game from here on out and that was no effort to secure their place.

Old
01-26-2012, 09:07 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by go4john View Post
There is no compete in Ebert, I don't get this kid at all. He's got some tools, but desire is absent. At what point do you sit Ebert so he can give his head a shake?? Pavelka again is on his own a lot. The officiating is rough at best. Every game is a playoff game from here on out and that was no effort to secure their place.
there's been no compete from anyone after the 1st period. This is brutal to watch everyone just stand around and let Saginaw skate circles around them. We're not winning any battles, can't clear the puck, can't get any offensive pressure. It's like they decided to pack it up after the 1st.

Old
01-26-2012, 09:47 PM
Libbs

Another big game against someone we're fighting for a playoff spot for...another loss on home ice. Outside of the 1st period, this team did nothing well. After skating out to a 3-0 lead they packed their bags.

PP was terrible
PK was terrible
Lost pretty much every battle
Can't clear the zone
Stopped hitting
Passing was terrible
Very little offensive pressure
Missed the net more than we got shots on the net

I don't get it...are the players not listening to the coaches?

I'm so sick of Ebert. When is his supposed "talent" going to take over? Yeah, you sure are showing those scouts Nick!

Where's the compete level? I realize there are going to be inconsistencies... but that should't include their compete level. Even the least talented team can work hard in defeat. Too many passengers on this team.

Old
01-26-2012, 10:04 PM
go4john

Only thing I could add to that is this is a team totally void of leadership.

Old
01-26-2012, 10:09 PM
dogsandwings

Geez..Windsor never wins when you want them to...

Old
01-26-2012, 10:12 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by go4john View Post
Only thing I could add to that is this is a team totally void of leadership.
I feel the same way. No one has taken ownership of the team.

Old
01-26-2012, 10:12 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsandwings View Post
Geez..Windsor never wins when you want them to...
they don't seem to win when they need to...except against your Hounds.

Old
01-26-2012, 10:30 PM
OHLTG

This is what Katy Perry refers to when she says "the one that got away." Up 3-0 and lose 5-4? While there were some bright spots:

- What is Ebert doing out there? I'm at a loss for words. I want him to succeed as much as anyone, but does HE want to succeed? Maybe it's time to bench him for a weekend. Get that fire going again.

- The PP needs to get over this system thing, put Czinder in front of the goaltender (I dare you to try to move him), and shoot, shoot, SHOOT!!! I know the power-play worked when the aces were out there a few years ago, but this isn't the same group. Figure it out!

Old
01-26-2012, 10:36 PM
dogsandwings

Quote:
they don't seem to win when they need to...except against your Hounds.
so far you have won the battle of the worst....but hey the real hockey season begins just about now
one thing i have learnt about reading these forums.."Rebuilding is just another way of saying..We Suck.)

Old
01-26-2012, 10:52 PM
Section103

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
- The PP needs to get over this system thing, put Czinder in front of the goaltender (I dare you to try to move him), and shoot, shoot, SHOOT!!! I know the power-play worked when the aces were out there a few years ago, but this isn't the same group. Figure it out!
I couldn't agree more. Czinder seems to spend less time planted in front of the net and I think that is exactly where he needs to be.

Closed Thread