HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* London Knights 2011-12 Season Thread (Pt.2)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-28-2012, 12:11 PM
  #51
PhlyerPhanatic
Moderator
Straight Shooter
 
PhlyerPhanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: The BUD
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,895
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightWatch View Post
Hey Phyler, I love the way Fox plays and was sad to see him go, but without some of McKegg's sniping the past few weeks, we'd have lost more than just one game. McKegg is the type of player that can be the difference in close hockey games. Without him (and Cook), we don't stand much of a chance against a team like Plymouth come playoff time.
Which is why I said the Knights truly won't miss Fox until next season. Yes you need offence to win games...but the dirty areas and overall defense wins you Championships. I still don't think this team can compete with Plymouth..even with McKegg. Hope I'm wrong.

PhlyerPhanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 12:16 PM
  #52
Mangecake
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dino200022 View Post
I do agree with that, Foxy was solid in all three zones Mckegg adds lots more firepower this year and we have the horses on the PK to fill his void right now. Key word is right now will miss him a ton next season!
What PP have you been watching???? Vladdy almost served up the same plum to the Spits last night as he did for Rieder on Wednesday...Thought I was watching my PVR then shook my head to realize I was at a different game. Did the "horses" get it done on the early 5 minute major? NOT. Just me but when you are as deep as the Knights are you could roll 3 lines hard for 30 to 45 seconds on the PP vs watching 5 guys float out there being pretty boys for more than the 2 minutes..

Broken record but.... let the talented kids show on the second unit so they are good to go next year when the "horses" are gone...Some kid named Anderson got PP time and had a hat trick in preseason against Kitchener...oh yeah...A rookie that needs to learn from the vets . Silly me

Mangecake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 12:56 PM
  #53
aresknights
Registered User
 
aresknights's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: london
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesh View Post
bo horvat has to get out of london , he is playing in the shadow of too many players and behind players who have had promises made to them. this kid is a very good all round player that will fall behind others in next years draft due to a lack of ice time and not playing on the top 2 lines . a team can get poisoned by favoritism and thats whats happening in london.
If you think scouts havent noticed him, you are mistaken. Hes developing well and should have a great draft year. Hes looked improved since Sept and looks to be ready to step up if needed. Esp lately hes being using the body more. Not many 16 yr olds get tons of ice on #1 teams.

Can anyone post the minutes played by Domi and Horvat since Jan 1st? Some of the peeps stating Domi is getting top 6 minutes and Bo 4th line minutes maybe surpised if those #s are avail. I maybe wrong but I see 95% of the games and my guess is they are both in the bottom six.

On a side note it shows the depth of this team that there are probably 11-12 Fs who can play in the top 8 or 9 and not hurt the club.

Domi is slumping and Bo is playing real well. These ebbs and flows happen during a season.

Why didnt any1 noticed Bo on a top line Wednesday for strecthes or the PP op early last night?

Again what promises- Ive read a few posters stating it but no one can confirm




Ill ask again, what promises?

aresknights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 01:02 PM
  #54
aresknights
Registered User
 
aresknights's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: london
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightWatch
Hey Phyler, I love the way Fox plays and was sad to see him go, but without some of McKegg's sniping the past few weeks, we'd have lost more than just one game. McKegg is the type of player that can be the difference in close hockey games. Without him (and Cook), we don't stand much of a chance against a team like Plymouth come playoff time.

PP31-Which is why I said the Knights truly won't miss Fox until next season. Yes you need offence to win games...but the dirty areas and overall defense wins you Championships. I still don't think this team can compete with Plymouth..even with McKegg. Hope I'm wrong.
McKegg plays as solid a game right now as Fox does IMO. He works the boards is responsible thru 200 ft and is driven to compete after the trade. McKegg adds a game breaker, and Watson a solid, 2 way do it all centre we needed to even have a shot at Plymouth. Cook has been a pleasant surprise as well and adds needed depth ( weve seen recently why we need it) Will it be enough to win 3 rounds and make the O final, Im not sure but without those moves are chances are a lot slimmer.
Sure Fox will be back next year but with the depth we have at F I dont think it will cripple us by any means. As well there is always the what if factor hanging above him. I hope he has a great year and a half in Erie.

aresknights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 01:17 PM
  #55
dino200022
Registered User
 
dino200022's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 350
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangecake View Post
What PP have you been watching???? Vladdy almost served up the same plum to the Spits last night as he did for Rieder on Wednesday...Thought I was watching my PVR then shook my head to realize I was at a different game. Did the "horses" get it done on the early 5 minute major? NOT. Just me but when you are as deep as the Knights are you could roll 3 lines hard for 30 to 45 seconds on the PP vs watching 5 guys float out there being pretty boys for more than the 2 minutes..

Broken record but.... let the talented kids show on the second unit so they are good to go next year when the "horses" are gone...Some kid named Anderson got PP time and had a hat trick in preseason against Kitchener...oh yeah...A rookie that needs to learn from the vets . Silly me
Umm if you read it correct it says PK which is penalty killing, which was an area that fox was very good at....maybe read before u rant?

And as for anderson scoring a trick in pre season...really preseaon, even Bissonette had a two goal presaon game so we considering him as a PP threat?

I still dont understand why we are figinting over 16 year olds. We have two of the best in the league, they reason why they dont get at much icetime as other 16's is because of our depth which is why we are WINNING, one might play more then the other as of yet but really no need to argue about it...once again people we are WINNING!!!


Last edited by dino200022: 01-28-2012 at 01:25 PM.
dino200022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 02:04 PM
  #56
aresknights
Registered User
 
aresknights's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: london
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
I still dont understand why we are figinting over 16 year olds. We have two of the best in the league, they reason why they dont get at much icetime as other 16's is because of our depth which is why we are WINNING, one might play more then the other as of yet but really no need to argue about it...once again people we are WINNING!!!
I agree. And most 16 yr olds recieve 3/4th line minutes, esp on winning teams. Unless your a 15yr old D named Ekblad) Id be inclined to think they worry less about it then a lot of fans do. Every kid wants to play a ton and if they dont they arent competitive by nature and not needed on the Knights team. As long as the staff is communicating to the players, and helping them develop its not an issue IMO

aresknights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 04:17 PM
  #57
Tigers1992
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
If you think scouts havent noticed him, you are mistaken. Hes developing well and should have a great draft year. Hes looked improved since Sept and looks to be ready to step up if needed. Esp lately hes being using the body more. Not many 16 yr olds get tons of ice on #1 teams.

Can anyone post the minutes played by Domi and Horvat since Jan 1st? Some of the peeps stating Domi is getting top 6 minutes and Bo 4th line minutes maybe surpised if those #s are avail. I maybe wrong but I see 95% of the games and my guess is they are both in the bottom six.

On a side note it shows the depth of this team that there are probably 11-12 Fs who can play in the top 8 or 9 and not hurt the club.

Domi is slumping and Bo is playing real well. These ebbs and flows happen during a season.

Why didnt any1 noticed Bo on a top line Wednesday for strecthes or the PP op early last night?

Again what promises- Ive read a few posters stating it but no one can confirm




Ill ask again, what promises?
Excellent post.

Its a shame that some feel the need to make it Horvat vs. Domi, when if you ask the players, they both want each other to succeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino200022 View Post
I still dont understand why we are figinting over 16 year olds. We have two of the best in the league, they reason why they dont get at much icetime as other 16's is because of our depth which is why we are WINNING, one might play more then the other as of yet but really no need to argue about it...once again people we are WINNING!!!
Great post. At the U17 tournament in Windsor I was sitting with a few NHL Scouts where where drooling over them. They didn't care who was from where or their last names, they loved the potential that both brought to the table. Truthfully, I'm not sure if thats the feeling of most posters on here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlyerPhanatic View Post
Horvat is the epitome of what makes a captain. Domi is the epitome of what makes a prima donna. Lean whichever way you please.
I get that you dont like the kid, but do you feel its appropriate for an adult to call a 16 year old names on a message board? Ignoring the fact that Max is actually a really good, humble kid, he is 16 years old. I cant imagine ever doing that to a kid, regardless of who his dad is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlyerPhanatic View Post
Nobody is disputing Domi's talent level with the puck, it's without the puck that he's not even mentionable in the same sentence as Horvat. To me..it's what you can't do that stands out most in a player when I judge their worth to a team. When your inabilities outweigh your abilities...you become a liability....wow...lotsa ilities in there.
As I mentioned above, most NHL Scouts I talked with at the U17 tournament really, really loved him. They didnt share that opinion. They also really loved Horvat as well, but most have Domi's potential a little above Horvat at this moment.


Last edited by Tigers1992: 01-28-2012 at 04:24 PM.
Tigers1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 04:26 PM
  #58
Tigers1992
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlyerPhanatic View Post
I have stated(much to the laughter of SOME Knights fans) that the Knights won't miss Dane Fox until next season. You gotta give to get, but to me..the team would have been just as competitive with adding just Austin Watson and keeping Dane Fox. McKegg helps the team for sure, but next year he doesn't help the team at all..and I seriously don't think he improves the team that much this season to put London "over the top".
After the Trade I was lucky enough to sit with 3 GM's at the GTHL Prospects game, who gave the slam dunk victory to the Knights on that trade. I dont think anyone is 'laughing', but the price paid was not at the level that they expected, and not what I expected either.

Tigers1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 08:22 PM
  #59
PhlyerPhanatic
Moderator
Straight Shooter
 
PhlyerPhanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: The BUD
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,895
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post



I get that you dont like the kid, but do you feel its appropriate for an adult to call a 16 year old names on a message board? Ignoring the fact that Max is actually a really good, humble kid, he is 16 years old. I cant imagine ever doing that to a kid, regardless of who his dad is.

.
I don't see where calling a player a prima donna type as bashing said player. A prima donna player is a more razzle dazzle stat oriented player..in my opinion. To me..that's the mold I see. No knock against his talent level. I just see more offence than anything else right now. Take it as me calling a player names if you so choose, but that isn't my intent. Nor did I say I dislike the player. The kid can dangle..no doubt about it and he posses an unbelievable skillset. I'd just like to see more without the puck

edit: for fun I googled prima donna:

a vain or undisciplined person who finds it difficult to work under direction or as part of a team

Loosely translated: A one man show.

Nobody can debate the fact that we've seen this trend so far in his game.


Last edited by PhlyerPhanatic: 01-29-2012 at 07:55 AM.
PhlyerPhanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 09:36 PM
  #60
dogsandwings
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 397
vCash: 500
Thanx again London...was worried there for awhile...
p.s Dane Fox hat trick..interestingly enough Domi does the same..mu;st be nice to be able to trade away and get players like that...(just a bit of envy)

dogsandwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 08:03 AM
  #61
JL17
Registered User
 
JL17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: London or Gaspe
Posts: 2,790
vCash: 500
Both Domi and Horvat are great players.... I've heard Domi is a well ground kid and hanging around with Knight will help him out.

I got no problem with either kid I'd just like to see both get the same treatment. You don't see Horvat night in night out getting long stretches of playing time with McKegg and Knight or Watson. Horvat could have just as many point IMO as Domi if given the opportunity.

It's not about Domi or Horvat for me it's about the handling of them.

JL17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 08:47 AM
  #62
PhlyerPhanatic
Moderator
Straight Shooter
 
PhlyerPhanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: The BUD
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,895
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL17 View Post

It's not about Domi or Horvat for me it's about the handling of them.
Bingo. Let's see equal opportunities with the same line mates. Favourtism breeds sneering eyes. I still believe Horvat is being groomed to lead this team, all round, wear the "C", be the face of the team. That is the only reason I can see as to him being broken in slowly.

PhlyerPhanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 08:48 AM
  #63
aresknights
Registered User
 
aresknights's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: london
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,992
vCash: 500
I agree, with more PT Bo would have more points. The thing is I see him developing nicely so Im not to worried about it. I think Bo can be effective playing any role with almost any line combo. Domi I feel is better when playing with skill. MArk may just be trying to get the best combos avail.

Domi wiht a trick last night and must have been on a line with Knight and McKegg as the assisted on all 3. Knight and Domi have shown some chemistry.
Sag puts 21SOG in the 2nd.
Very few penalties tonight.
LEad extended over Plymouth. 6 pts with about 20 games left. The Knights are in a good spot here. Even thou they seem to be just as effective or more so on the road, Id like that home ice thru the west conf PO. Every game you can dictate the line matchups come the tight playoff games is good.

Cant believe Im going to say this but....For tonight only-- Lets go So.... almost got it out.

aresknights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 09:34 PM
  #64
Kulemon
Registered User
 
Kulemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,410
vCash: 500
Hey, I'm just here to ask you guys how mckegg has been for you. I haven't watched him play since he was on Erie.

Kulemon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 04:22 AM
  #65
aresknights
Registered User
 
aresknights's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: london
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,992
vCash: 500
McKegg has been solid. At least a goal/game.
Skates well, works hard, and has a great set of hands. He has a knack for redirecting pucks when around the net.
Hes played with a few different linemates and always fits in.
Works the boards better than I thought he would being a scorer. Hes not bad spinning off a defender and coming off the boards either.
Althou Fox wa playing well, and has evebn stepped it up in Erie I really like this deal for the Knights

aresknights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 09:52 AM
  #66
PhlyerPhanatic
Moderator
Straight Shooter
 
PhlyerPhanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: The BUD
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,895
vCash: 500
McKegg has been just as described, but I think his acquisition made an already soft team softer. More potent on the scoreboard, but easier to play against..if that makes sense. If anyone wants to run and gun the Knights..they're good to go. Grind and pound them and they are very beatable in my opinion.

PhlyerPhanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 07:53 PM
  #67
NHL Fanatic
Registered User
 
NHL Fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,617
vCash: 500
Bo has worked very hard and has developed nicely. He just brings so much to the table as a 16 year old. Leadership, speed, skill with and without the puck. Definitely has the qualities and work ethic to potentially don the "C" for the Knights. Both Max and Bo will get a ton of ice time next year, will be exciting to see their play develop even more in their draft year next year.

Max Domi special run by thescore:- http://vimeo.com/35772594

Speaking with Max, he is very intelligent and grounded for a talented hockey player.

NHL Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 08:58 PM
  #68
Dreakmur
Registered User
 
Dreakmur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Orillia, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,553
vCash: 500
No idea why they made all the trades if they aren't going to be serious about winning games down the stretch...

Dreakmur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 07:46 AM
  #69
JL17
Registered User
 
JL17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: London or Gaspe
Posts: 2,790
vCash: 500
When you continue to lose to top team it becomes a question of how good are they???

Houser can look at himself in the mirror for that goal last night.

Griffith can look at himself in the mirror for the first goal last night and maybe the reason he isn't drafted. Cheating on the play that lead to a 5 on 2 in your own end.

Martin another 3rd period penalty at the wrong time... normally guys get benched for stuff like that and doing it seemingly every game is getting to be a bit much.

Lets hope Hughes isn't down for a while.

JL17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 09:01 AM
  #70
PhlyerPhanatic
Moderator
Straight Shooter
 
PhlyerPhanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: The BUD
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,895
vCash: 500
If anyone finds the person that controls the switch for London's physical game...could they please point that person out to me at the next game? Why does that switch ever get turned off?

Could they not see that they had Niagara reeling early with the physical play...then they backed off and let the Dogs run the show..then they woke up..started hitting and controlled the game back to being tied at a deuce...then they were passive once again and let a weak one slip by.

C'mon man...yer killin me!!

Regardless of the standings..I'm still not convinced that this team is the top team in their division..let alone the league.

PhlyerPhanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 10:37 AM
  #71
dino200022
Registered User
 
dino200022's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 350
vCash: 500
Calm down gents, we lost to a very hot Niagra team that posses a very good back end. Vladdy and Griffith were non existint tonight and they are a big factor to our winning. Having Ferry and Martin on the ice every other shift it seemed was very alarming to me on marks hockey knowledge...MARTIN should just be cut and sent packing please!! On a good note Kitchener lost to Belleville in SUbbans return and PLymouth lost in Sarnia so nothing lost nothing gained.

dino200022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 11:08 AM
  #72
aresknights
Registered User
 
aresknights's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: london
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,992
vCash: 500
This team lacks any depth on D. If we have any injuries come POs to our top 5/6 we could be in trouble. You just cant hide Ferry, Martin back there all game.
Hopefully Hughes isnt dinged up too bad (I didnt see what happened to him) HArrington returns and is 100% and we can keep the group together.

aresknights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 12:59 PM
  #73
PhlyerPhanatic
Moderator
Straight Shooter
 
PhlyerPhanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: The BUD
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,895
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dino200022 View Post
Calm down gents, we lost to a very hot Niagra team that posses a very good back end. Vladdy and Griffith were non existint tonight and they are a big factor to our winning. Having Ferry and Martin on the ice every other shift it seemed was very alarming to me on marks hockey knowledge...MARTIN should just be cut and sent packing please!! On a good note Kitchener lost to Belleville in SUbbans return and PLymouth lost in Sarnia so nothing lost nothing gained.
I got verbally berated on the Knights board (Jr.A) when I questioned Mark's coaching knowledge. It's painfully evident every game that he's coaching as he goes. Flying by the seat of his pants if you will. Look down that bench.....past Mark, who doesn't really have much experience in the past decade plus..you've got 3 coaches with basically no experience what-so-ever. The lack of direction is showing..and the bad decisions are piling up.

PhlyerPhanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 01:06 PM
  #74
hockeylegend11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlyerPhanatic View Post
I got verbally berated on the Knights board (Jr.A) when I questioned Mark's coaching knowledge. It's painfully evident every game that he's coaching as he goes. Flying by the seat of his pants if you will. Look down that bench.....past Mark, who doesn't really have much experience in the past decade plus..you've got 3 coaches with basically no experience what-so-ever. The lack of direction is showing..and the bad decisions are piling up.
I hope those bad decisions continue into thursday vs the spits lol

hockeylegend11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 04:59 PM
  #75
dino200022
Registered User
 
dino200022's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 350
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlyerPhanatic View Post
I got verbally berated on the Knights board (Jr.A) when I questioned Mark's coaching knowledge. It's painfully evident every game that he's coaching as he goes. Flying by the seat of his pants if you will. Look down that bench.....past Mark, who doesn't really have much experience in the past decade plus..you've got 3 coaches with basically no experience what-so-ever. The lack of direction is showing..and the bad decisions are piling up.
This is one thing I am with you on, not to sure what he is thinking sometimes i just cant wait till Harry gets back and Hughes is good to go or could be trouble! I think Mark over thinks things sometimes...there is nothing worse then playing hard to tie the game up then going passive I just dont know

dino200022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:13 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.