HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part 5

Closed Thread

Old
01-24-2012, 04:33 AM
Efactor

vCash: 500
We've had this core for a while....might be time for change. I think we let Green walk or trade him if there is a suitor. We offer Semin $16M/4Y as a take it or leave it. That would free up @$7-11M and change our core 25-50%.

There are other contracts we should probably move, but we'd need to get value and any of that is speculation at best.

Just $0.02!

Old
01-24-2012, 06:01 AM
txpd

* guessing mcphee left practice early because the suspension and then lack of suspension had him outraged to the point that he would have shown un mcphee like control and said something akin to punching out the chicago coach. honestly.

* if green is out for most of the season and backstrom doesnt return and the caps dont have a long playoff run, i dont see how mcphee is fired.

* the caps are at the salary cap. if backstrom were placed on ltir, any quality player acquired to replace him would cost real assets. that player would not be as good as backstrom. when backstrom returned that player or a like salaried player would have to go and in that pickle would very likely not return as quality assets. its a losing deal. better off to be patient.

* letting green and semin walk and using the open cap space to replace them is very risky. if the surgery fixes green, he stays. if semin continues another 10 games at his current play level, he will get resigned as well and not at $4m.

Old
01-24-2012, 07:59 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efactor View Post
We've had this core for a while....might be time for change. I think we let Green walk or trade him if there is a suitor. We offer Semin $16M/4Y as a take it or leave it. That would free up @$7-11M and change our core 25-50%.

There are other contracts we should probably move, but we'd need to get value and any of that is speculation at best.

Just $0.02!
If you ever needed evidence of the value and importance of Mike Green to the Washington Capitals just look at this season and the team's performance when he's in the line up as opposed to when he's not.

Mike Green has a sports hernia, it's not the end of the world. Part of the surgery was to put mesh in side the abdominal areas where the injury occurred in order to strengthen that area and to prevent a reoccurrence. It's not the end of the world or career for Green. He's a RFA and I'm sure Mike Green is looking to next season as much as the Capitals are in order to prove his true value contractually.

Old
01-24-2012, 08:12 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
* guessing mcphee left practice early because the suspension and then lack of suspension had him outraged to the point that he would have shown un mcphee like control and said something akin to punching out the chicago coach. honestly.

* if green is out for most of the season and backstrom doesnt return and the caps dont have a long playoff run, i dont see how mcphee is fired.

* the caps are at the salary cap. if backstrom were placed on ltir, any quality player acquired to replace him would cost real assets. that player would not be as good as backstrom. when backstrom returned that player or a like salaried player would have to go and in that pickle would very likely not return as quality assets. its a losing deal. better off to be patient.

* letting green and semin walk and using the open cap space to replace them is very risky. if the surgery fixes green, he stays. if semin continues another 10 games at his current play level, he will get resigned as well and not at $4m.
Just a little over a month until TDL. Green will not be available until after the TDL and we don't know when Backstrom will be. We'll have to see how Ovie responds after coming back from the suspension.

Capitals make the playoffs, the question marks surrounding the aforementioned 3 critical players will still play a major role.

Wideman/Vokoun are pending UFAs that could bring back some quality draft picks in the 2012 draft.

Caps need to also move some dead weight and their conrtracts, Schultz and Ward come to mind.

Regards to Semin, I'd like to see them resign him but the contract has to be no more than what they signed Brooks Laich for.

GMGM's goal is to gather additional draft choices for 2012, ideally another 1st, I'd be happy to work a deal with NJ to get our 2nd back from them, and a 3rd rounder along the way as well. Additionally, GMGM needs to create cap space so some of the team's deficiencies are addressed on July 1 as well.

Old
01-24-2012, 08:25 AM
tycoonheart

I highly highly highly doubt Ted would fire McPhee regardless of how this season ends.

Old
01-24-2012, 08:35 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Just a little over a month until TDL. Green will not be available until after the TDL and we don't know when Backstrom will be. We'll have to see how Ovie responds after coming back from the suspension.

Capitals make the playoffs, the question marks surrounding the aforementioned 3 critical players will still play a major role.

Wideman/Vokoun are pending UFAs that could bring back some quality draft picks in the 2012 draft.

Caps need to also move some dead weight and their conrtracts, Schultz and Ward come to mind.

Regards to Semin, I'd like to see them resign him but the contract has to be no more than what they signed Brooks Laich for.

GMGM's goal is to gather additional draft choices for 2012, ideally another 1st, I'd be happy to work a deal with NJ to get our 2nd back from them, and a 3rd rounder along the way as well. Additionally, GMGM needs to create cap space so some of the team's deficiencies are addressed on July 1 as well.
* are you suggesting trading wideman and vokoun at the deadline for futures?

* semin is not going to sign a brooks laich contract. i expect another one year deal, but not at a 40% paycut. he has 16pts in his past 16 games. he has 7pts in the 9 non backstrom games. he is +5 in that 9 game stretch as well.

* 1st round picks are great, but very few will have any impact on a playoff team next year. most not the year after.

Old
01-24-2012, 08:57 AM
Fallschirmyager

Quote:

* semin is not going to sign a brooks laich contract. i expect another one year deal, but not at a 40% paycut. he has 16pts in his past 16 games. he has 7pts in the 9 non backstrom games. he is +5 in that 9 game stretch as well.

* 1st round picks are great, but very few will have any impact on a playoff team next year. most not the year after.
That depends totally on whether you think you're going to make the playoffs. If the team goes into free fall mode, then yea, trade off the UFA's for as much as you can.

Semin may very well be worth keeping around if he continues this effort level. DH seems to have found the right sized shoe to put in his ***.

as you said, 1sts are fun assets to have but may not join the team for a couple of years. The can be used to trade for bodies as well and frankly we need restocking too.

Old
01-24-2012, 09:08 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:

There are 3 critical pieces that are ? right now regarding how this team will perform in the playoffs. They are Mike Green, Nick Backstrom and Alex Ovechkin. I do realize that goaltending plays a critical role come the playoffs but all I can see is TV stealing perhaps one series for us. Wideman's been okay but given the opportunity to excel in Green's absence, I don't think he has, even if he made the ASG.

Futures yes. The Capitals cupboard is getting bare. A deep draft such as 2012 is just what this team needs to replenish the blood lines. Depending upon how high we draft in the first round, we might see one pick next season however in 2 to 3 years we'll be happy we moved these guys soon.

Regarding next season, free the team of some dead weight (Schultz and Ward) and you'll have some cap space to go after a significant pice or two on July 1.

Old
01-24-2012, 09:10 AM
CrashTheNet9

Schultz not at practice today.

I'm hoping for the best.

Old
01-24-2012, 09:17 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

@kcarrera - #Caps spokesman says Jeff Schultz is out with an illness.

So much for being over the mono.

Old
01-24-2012, 09:20 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
@kcarrera - #Caps spokesman says Jeff Schultz is out with an illness.

So much for being over the mono.
Going for a second opinion?

You also suck!!!!!

Old
01-24-2012, 09:23 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

I'll be happy with a 3rd rounder at this point.

Old
01-24-2012, 09:28 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

I'd be both happy and shocked.

If that's possible, what would Wideman bring?

Old
01-24-2012, 09:35 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
I'd be both happy and shocked.

If that's possible, what would Wideman bring?
Honestly...I'm not trading Wideman. If they can move the Schultz contract...keep Wideman around for a few years since Green is made of balsa wood.

Old
01-24-2012, 09:38 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Honestly...I'm not trading Wideman. If they can move the Schultz contract...keep Wideman around for a few years since Green is made of balsa wood.
That's a bit harsh.

I mean, come on, give balsa wood some credit for it's durability.

Old
01-24-2012, 09:41 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
That's a bit harsh.

I mean, come on, give balsa wood some credit for it's durability.
True.

I do like Wideman tho. Granted, he makes some bad decisions from time to time, but overall he's rather serviceable back there. Get a like a 2 year deal at $4.25 worked out...I'd be fine with that.

Old
01-24-2012, 09:42 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
The 3.9 saved on Wideman and the 2.75 from Schultz, we can do better than Wideman with that 6 + mil.

Old
01-24-2012, 09:46 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
The 3.9 saved on Wideman and the 2.75 from Schultz, we can do better than Wideman with that 6 + mil.
And who would that be exactly?

I assume you're going to say Suter.

Last edited by strungout: 01-24-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old
01-24-2012, 09:55 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
And who would that be exactly?

I assume you're going to say Suter.
Yes, that's who I have in mind.

Old
01-24-2012, 09:57 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Teams are going to be lined up for that guy. I doubt the Caps can pay him what he'll end up getting and for the years he'll end up getting it for. That's more of a fantasy signing than a reality signing IMO.

Old
01-24-2012, 09:58 AM
txpd

wideman: what is your definition of not excelling?
leads the team in minutes
5th in the league in points from defense
3rd on the team in points
2nd on the team in pp points
2nd on the team in ppg's

Old
01-24-2012, 10:00 AM
Capitlols

I'd be astonished if the Caps have another early exit or if they miss the playoffs and GMGM is retained. I thought before the season that he'd go down with BB, but it seemed too drastic that early into the season. I don't see how the injuries excuse can fly for another season.

On a side note, I also expect Teddy to let Ernie walk as his contract expires.

Old
01-24-2012, 10:00 AM
Foy

I'm not sure I wouldn't rather have Wideman for the $5 he's going to cost than Suter for the 7 at 8 years that he's going to cost. Not so much because Suter isn't awesome, but I just don't want another 8 year contract on the books.

Old
01-24-2012, 10:12 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
I don't see how the injuries excuse can fly for another season..
i guess that depends on the facts as they play out and what your definition of excuse verses reason might be.

if you're saying that there is no valid reason and any cause for fail is an excuse, i doubt leonsis works that way.

i think you can hope. if the capitals lose to boston tonight, i think you would be hard pressed to either blame mcphee for ov, backstrom, and green to be out of the lineup or to say that it had no effect and they should have won.

Old
01-24-2012, 10:20 AM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

We're not getting Suter. I'd rather get a cheaper d man ala Detroit with Ian White, and then keep Wideman if we get rid of Green.

Closed Thread