HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

2011 Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part 5

Closed Thread

Old
01-24-2012, 02:54 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
I must have missed that part. Do you have quotes from BB or someone else saying that Green blatantly disregarded the coaching staff?
In memory I fully remember it. Bruce was asked about why Green had such a big drop off in offense last year, or, what made him so focused on defense. Bruce said it was by Green's own doing, and that he had actually asked him to focus more on offense. Which was plain to see last year, just did not ever happen.

Anyone else that remembers Bruce talking about Green basically ignoring BB's call to be much more aggressive offensively, please chime in and save me the searching.

No one called Green a proverbial 4th forward last year, based on what they saw.

Old
01-24-2012, 02:54 PM
hb11xchamps

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i dont recall ward being physical. i recall him being strong. iirc his playoff game is all about being strong and battling players for pucks in the corners and in front of the net. i can guess that he does not wear down thru a season like many players and come playoffs his strenth advantage comes to the for.

i dont expect him to be john druce or anything but in the playoffs you would think chimera and ward are a pretty strong pair of wingers. his regular season play doesnt phase me
If Ward brings his strength and battling in the corners then why pay him 3 million dollars a year? Especially if you are comparing him to Jason Chimera that has a cap hit of 1.875 for this year, 1.8 next and 1.7 the following year. That money could have been used in many other places but instead McPhee went into panic mode and offered too much because he had a good playoff resume and the team has had playoff struggles the past few years. What McPhee didn't realize is that A) this team would struggle badly this year and B) that if we continue to struggle and have a lingering possibility of moving divisions the next few years, that we may not make the playoffs in a harder division with Philly, NY, Pitt and so on.

Old
01-24-2012, 03:05 PM
txpd

its what happens when you get players off the ufa market. players that have many options dont come at a bargain. again, iirc, more than half the teams in the nhl are widely reported to have been interested in joel ward.

this is a reason why all the talk of signing suter as a ufa makes me laugh. the contract that guy signs will make everyone cringe.

Old
01-24-2012, 03:26 PM
BPMrules

There will be 2 schools of thinking, posting here til the TDL...

School #1- BUY! BUY! BUY!
VS.
School #2- SELL! SELL! SELL!

Cue the Trading Places references...

Old
01-24-2012, 03:41 PM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb11xchamps View Post
If Ward brings his strength and battling in the corners then why pay him 3 million dollars a year? Especially if you are comparing him to Jason Chimera that has a cap hit of 1.875 for this year, 1.8 next and 1.7 the following year. That money could have been used in many other places but instead McPhee went into panic mode and offered too much because he had a good playoff resume and the team has had playoff struggles the past few years. What McPhee didn't realize is that A) this team would struggle badly this year and B) that if we continue to struggle and have a lingering possibility of moving divisions the next few years, that we may not make the playoffs in a harder division with Philly, NY, Pitt and so on.
You're complaining that he went out and picked up a guy with a solid playoff resume to bolster a team that has struggled in the playoffs? I'd much rather overpay a guy like Ward than give that money to someone like Flash who will put up an extra 25 points during the regular season. I'd be fine if during the regular season Ward played like a 5-year old soccer goalie who sits on the ground and picks dandelions while the game is going on as long as he can knock in 3 or 4 goals each playoff series.

Old
01-24-2012, 03:45 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Honestly...I'm not trading Wideman. If they can move the Schultz contract...keep Wideman around for a few years since Green is made of balsa wood.
I'm with you. So many short sighted people who want to trade away the guy who has played the best on the blueline all year, all in hopes that the Caps will do something they don't do anymore, land a huge UFA.

Suter is a pipedream unless we see the Caps trade for him.

Last edited by CapitalsCupFantasy: 01-24-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old
01-24-2012, 04:54 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPMrules View Post
There will be 2 schools of thinking, posting here til the TDL...

School #1- BUY! BUY! BUY!
VS.
School #2- SELL! SELL! SELL!

Cue the Trading Places references...
There is one other school and thats WAFFLE! WAFFLE! WAFFLE! which will be determined by the team's performance in their most recent game.

Old
01-24-2012, 05:37 PM
hb11xchamps

Quote:
You're complaining that he went out and picked up a guy with a solid playoff resume to bolster a team that has struggled in the playoffs? I'd much rather overpay a guy like Ward than give that money to someone like Flash who will put up an extra 25 points during the regular season. I'd be fine if during the regular season Ward played like a 5-year old soccer goalie who sits on the ground and picks dandelions while the game is going on as long as he can knock in 3 or 4 goals each playoff series.
What happens if the team doesnt make the playoffs? He hasnt been that great this year and is an overpaid 3rd liner.

Old
01-24-2012, 05:44 PM
bonzaibondra12

Quote:
What happens if the team doesnt make the playoffs? He hasnt been that great this year and is an overpaid 3rd liner.
Problem is he is overpaid. I think is a good 3rd liner as we saw early in the year.

Signing looked great until injuries and line juggling began. Wouldn't give up on him yet and just get rid of him for a bag of pucks.

Old
01-24-2012, 05:53 PM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

vCash: 520
Quote:
Laich or Ward?

Old
01-24-2012, 07:59 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Dmen

How much $$$ could realistically cost our defense next season?

Now I believe Wideman will be resigned for 2-3 years and around 4,5M. It could be done as soon as tomorrow for example.

Green will be QOed and sign it at 5M, right?

Alzner is 1,285M, Harmlik is 3,5M.

Erskine is 7th (1,5M), Orlov is 6th and cheap (0.9), Poti is on LTIR.

That's like 5+4,5+3,5+1,5+1,285+0,9+X(Carlson). = 16,685+X

That's like any other defense, very common.

PIT has 16,25 just for 4 Dmen. DET pays 21 for 7 Dmen. BOS pays 18 for 7 guys. VAN pays 20,5M for 7D.

That is OK league-wide from the $ point of view.

That is

Alzner-Green/Wideman
Orlov-Wideman/Green
Hamrlik-Carlson
Erskine

or smth of that kind

I find it very probable. Carlson will not get more than 3M after this season IMHO.
Ofc we better get some good D prospect to be 8th or 9th... But still.

What do you think?

Old
01-24-2012, 10:17 PM
artilector

Oh I don't think the Caps have any problems fitting under the cap next year. But to me the question is more -- can you risk walking into the season with a 5m guy (Green) who might not play and then it will be too late to go after a decent target. And then for future years, some of those younger defensemen are going to start to get more expensive, so you need to have an overall plan for the roster.. I think McPhee tends to mostly tinker with things year-by-year, so as a result, for the foreseeable future I expect the Caps to be fielding teams with some nice pieces and some significant flaws.

I think most expect Wideman to walk, though. I guess I agree with that -- in his situations I think most go for the top dollar. He's had a good season, and after being shuffled around by teams who would blame him for trying to make bank. Discounts do happen, who knows maybe we'll get lucky, but they are rare, and I can't imagine that the Caps look like a picture of stability to him or anybody at the moment.

Old
01-24-2012, 10:23 PM
Stewie G

Quote:
Ward has never been great in the regular season. His 12 regular season goals shouldn't be the difference between making the playoffs or not. If they don't make the playoffs, he's about the 11th guy on the list of people to blame.

Old
01-24-2012, 10:28 PM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

Quote:
Ward has never been great in the regular season. His 12 regular season goals shouldn't be the difference between making the playoffs or not. If they don't make the playoffs, he's about the 11th guy on the list of people to blame.
Well it's more the idea that they could allocate his way-too-big cap hit to someone that helps them do so.

Old
01-24-2012, 10:30 PM
Capitlols

You know who'd be great for our bottom 6?

Old
01-24-2012, 10:44 PM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
Well it's more the idea that they could allocate his way-too-big cap hit to someone that helps them do so.
How much do you think a ppg playoff player should be paid? They could have saved maybe $1M, but I don't think someone spending an additional $1M elsewhere fixes Green's groin or makes Ovie a 100 pt. player again. Those are bigger problems and are more responsible for possibly missing the playoffs than overpaying a 3rd liner with a proven playoff track record.

Old
01-24-2012, 10:45 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post

He'll probably make far more in the KHL than he ever will in the NHL.

That ship has likely sailed for good.

Old
01-24-2012, 10:51 PM
HTFN

Quote:

I'm okay with this.

Old
01-24-2012, 10:52 PM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

Quote:
How much do you think a ppg playoff player should be paid? They could have saved maybe $1M, but I don't think someone spending an additional $1M elsewhere fixes Green's groin or makes Ovie a 100 pt. player again. Those are bigger problems and are more responsible for possibly missing the playoffs than overpaying a 3rd liner with a proven playoff track record.
I really don't think he is actually a point-per-game playoff player. I guess we'll see, if they do make it.

Old
01-24-2012, 11:00 PM
NeilYoung

Quote:

Yeah we desperately need more wildly inconsistent grinder great plan man.

Old
01-24-2012, 11:04 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsGreat08AO View Post
Yeah we desperately need more wildly inconsistent grinder great plan man.
if it were between him, beagle or ward who would you choose.

Old
01-24-2012, 11:08 PM
HTFN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
No kidding. Artyukhin could be just as terrible as Joel Ward and the physicality alone would be worth more money.

Old
01-24-2012, 11:10 PM
NeilYoung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
So it's basically

Another Russian who's invisible for 95% of the time, throws a big hit or a nice goal once in a blue moon,

A very mediocre forward, who has a history of stepping up big time when it matters most in every level of play

A Canadian guy who's best friends with many current players who's pretty average at everything on the ice.

No idea, Artyukin is far from the answer though. Asham type pick-ups for the bottom six is what Mcphee needs

Old
01-24-2012, 11:12 PM
Blades of steel
log off.

Ward has still been awful for the most part imo, i know we picked him up on his playoff performances, but seriously does anyone think he will suddenly turn it on? I hope so, but does anyone know if his play is consistent now from his play in Nashville in the regular season?

Old
01-24-2012, 11:20 PM
NeilYoung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of steel View Post
Ward has still been awful for the most part imo, i know we picked him up on his playoff performances, but seriously does anyone think he will suddenly turn it on? I hope so, but does anyone know if his play is consistent now from his play in Nashville in the regular season?
Nashville fans for the most part warned us about him during the regular season, they did continually praise his extra gear when it mattered though.

Closed Thread