HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All-purpose trade rumors and speculation thread #2

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2012, 12:41 PM
Franchise13

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbite3 View Post
What would it take to get Downie? I'm sincerely curious and I've never been great at coming up with realistic trade proposals. Or if we took our sights off of him, who could we get for Nitty/Mitchell? Should Mitchell be replaced by someone with more value?
Mitchell/Nitty would be closer to getting Purcell than Downie, value wise. While I don't think he's negative value, I don't think Mitchell has much value at all and Nitty's value ties into his health which is highly questionable.

Old
01-22-2012, 12:50 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise13 View Post
Mitchell/Nitty would be closer to getting Purcell than Downie, value wise. While I don't think he's negative value, I don't think Mitchell has much value at all and Nitty's value ties into his health which is highly questionable.
That is no where near the value of Purcell...a 50pt player making making a little over $2.3m through next year. It won't get Downie (or any other useful player) either but I don't think Downie's value is any more than Purcell's.

Old
01-22-2012, 12:52 PM
Vaasa

vCash: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharksAddict View Post
I have a feeling Rutuu is going to cost a lot more in assets than people think. He's arguably the best forward available and seemingly every contender is looking for another top 6 forward right now. Going to be a lot of suitors for him.
This. I honestly expect him to go to Boston. The Bruins have more than enough assets to get him and they not only have the cap space to easily fit him in, they have the cap space to sign him long term. And I can't see why he wouldn't want to both go there and stay there. He fits in with their style of play and would be an appreciated asset to the org (I bet).

Old
01-22-2012, 01:20 PM
NorCalJen
Oh baby! Oh mama!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshark91 View Post
Nitty 2.0 eh?
He said playing in teal...

I've talked to the Tampa beat writer via twitter regarding Niitty. He doesn't think they'd be willing to give up anything for him. Not even in a package deal. He's also of the opinion that Tampa isn't going to do anything about their goaltender situation this year. They will wait for the offseason.

Purcell has been one of their best players lately, but he has effort issues. He can be very frustrating. I'd love to have Ryan Malone, but that ain't happening either. And just no to Downie please.

Old
01-22-2012, 07:06 PM
sjshark91

vCash: 2810
Ottawa sun says Sharks are calling about Selanne.

Thoughts?

He has 40+ pts this year more than any Shark.

Old
01-22-2012, 07:11 PM
Kitten Mittons

Ottawa Sun is full of ****. Never gonna happen.

Old
01-22-2012, 07:17 PM
Chaotic8
Boarding Major

vCash: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Ice View Post
Sooooooo you bring it up?
Just stomping it out early.

Old
01-22-2012, 07:21 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbite3 View Post
What would it take to get Downie? I'm sincerely curious and I've never been great at coming up with realistic trade proposals. Or if we took our sights off of him, who could we get for Nitty/Mitchell? Should Mitchell be replaced by someone with more value?
For that package? A 3rd or 4th + 4th liner. Seriously, they're worth little since a team is overpaying them by so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharksAddict View Post
I have a feeling Rutuu is going to cost a lot more in assets than people think. He's arguably the best forward available and seemingly every contender is looking for another top 6 forward right now. Going to be a lot of suitors for him.
This was my proposal from a while back that started at 2012 2nd + Petrecki, and even then they mentioned the team would prefer forward prospects which we only have a few of. Most thought it was pretty fair though.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1064267

Old
01-23-2012, 10:38 AM
hockeyball

Just as a talking point, obviously he has a NTC and so forth, but what about Havlat for Carter?

Sharks get a scoring forward, and CBJ gets a shifty playmaker to pair with Nash. Salaries are about equal, and Carter is going to be at a career low in value. I think Sharks would need to add a pick or prospect along with Havlat, but essentially one-for-one, near equal cap hits.

Old
01-23-2012, 11:17 AM
JayP812
The Team of Tomorrow

vCash: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Just as a talking point, obviously he has a NTC and so forth, but what about Havlat for Carter?

Sharks get a scoring forward, and CBJ gets a shifty playmaker to pair with Nash. Salaries are about equal, and Carter is going to be at a career low in value. I think Sharks would need to add a pick or prospect along with Havlat, but essentially one-for-one, near equal cap hits.
Columbus would probably get some better offers than Havlat, we'd have to add if we really wanted to land him. They'd probably ask for our 1st or one of the few good prospects we have.

Old
01-23-2012, 11:19 AM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Isnt his contract till like 2021 or something? Thats a little too long.

Old
01-23-2012, 11:26 AM
magic school bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post

Columbus wouldn't take that, and Havlat wouldnt waive the NTC to go back to a losing team.

In the main thread, people are offering stuff like Jack Johnson + Bernier. We can't match that right now.

Old
01-23-2012, 11:33 AM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
Isnt his contract till like 2021 or something? Thats a little too long.
Through 2022 at almost $5.3mil per season - big no to Jeff Carter.

Old
01-23-2012, 12:53 PM
Les Wynan*

I'm still holding out hope Havlat will return to the lineup in 08-09 Blackhawks form. He was one of the best players in the league that season.

Old
01-23-2012, 12:54 PM
Kitten Mittons

Based on his two goals this season, I doubt it.

Old
01-23-2012, 12:54 PM
WTFetus
Most popular

Havlat's playoff track-record is also a lot better than Carter's.

Old
01-23-2012, 01:01 PM
magic school bus

Is the Havlat playoff "rep" legit? It's been a long time since he's played meaningful games and he's obviously not the same player anymore...

And in defense of Carter, Philly kept putting him on the wing so he might not be as bad playing as a center.

Old
01-23-2012, 01:02 PM
SFtoBoston
Left-Heart-In-SF

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wynan View Post
I'm still holding out hope Havlat will return to the lineup in 08-09 Blackhawks form. He was one of the best players in the league that season.

Old
01-23-2012, 01:07 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
Is the Havlat playoff "rep" legit? It's been a long time since he's played meaningful games and he's obviously not the same player anymore...

And in defense of Carter, Philly kept putting him on the wing so he might not be as bad playing as a center.
Not sure what you mean by legit...his playoff stats are very good.

The Sharks just don't need a player like Carter, I'd rather have Havlat at his salary even with all the injuries and horribly sad shooting % he's had this year.

Old
01-23-2012, 01:30 PM
Les Wynan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post

No player's playoff rep is legit. Playoff reputations are built entirely on small sample sizes.

Past playoff performance is an inferior predictor of future playoff performance compared to past regular season performance.

Old
01-23-2012, 01:34 PM
bigwillie

Send a message via AIM to bigwillie
Carter just doesn't seem like a Doug Wilson-style acquisition. Reported character issues and a contract that ends in the year 2556.

And personally, I really like Havlat.

Old
01-23-2012, 01:35 PM
Les Wynan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwillie View Post
Carter just doesn't seem like a Doug Wilson-style acquisition. Reported character issues and a contract that ends in the year 2556.

And personally, I really like Havlat.
Wasn't that pretty much Dany Heatley in a nutshell circa 2009?

Old
01-23-2012, 01:53 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Quote:
Well Heatley's caphit was higher than his actual salary and it didn't go on till the end of time. Unlike Carter who gets paid way more than his caphit for a number of years on a contract that's way too long.

Old
01-23-2012, 01:54 PM
magic school bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
Not sure what you mean by legit...his playoff stats are very good.

The Sharks just don't need a player like Carter, I'd rather have Havlat at his salary even with all the injuries and horribly sad shooting % he's had this year.
Those Havlat playoff numbers are old, and we've watched him play this season. He's fragile and no game changer (definitely not like those stats lead us to believe). I'd love to see if this reputation is true, but I can't see how he'd just raise his level if play that much because the date on the calendar reads April instead of March. If anything, I'd say he's more likely to get injured in the playoffs with how much the physical play picks up.

I am not saying we should go after Carter (what I did say was that Havlat fir Carter is a trade that CBJ rejects).

Old
01-23-2012, 01:56 PM
bigwillie

Send a message via AIM to bigwillie
Quote:
Not true. Heatley had 5 years remaining on his contract at the time. Carter's is twice as long, with 10 left after this season.

I also think Heatley's character issues were far less of an issue than Carter's are.

Closed Thread