HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Deadline 2012: Buyers or Sellers?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-18-2012, 04:16 PM
  #1
ziggy7716
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,104
vCash: 500
Trade Deadline 2012: Buyers or Sellers?

At this point and time I don't think we can say for sure if we will be Buyers or Sellers at the deadline. I believe if at the deadline and we are 6pts or less out of a playoff spot Snow may try to add a top 6 forward or a top 4 defensemen to try to make a push for a playoff spot, sort of like what he did with Ryan Smyth in 06-07. However, If come the deadline and we are still about 10pts out and UFA's to be like PA and Franzy aren't signed that he may look to deal them.

So I ask, if we happened to be within 6pts of a spot and Snow decided to be a buyer who would you guys want him to realistically try to acquire and if we are way out of it and Snow is a seller who do you want him to deal away?

For me it's this:

Buyers- Hemsky(i know unpopular around here lol) Travis Moen, Tim Gleason, Tom Gilbert, Tuomo Rutuu. Rick Nash as well, but that's not as realistic lol.

Sellers: Eaton, Mottau, Jurcina, Nabokov, Rolston, Pandolfo, Staios

PA and Franzy I want re-signed, but if they aren't and Snow is getting alot of offers I guess I would be OK with as long as the return is good.

ziggy7716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 04:27 PM
  #2
submart
Registered User
 
submart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 102
vCash: 500
I do not think Snow will make any moves.

submart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 04:27 PM
  #3
twentytwo
Registered User
 
twentytwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: 516
Country: United States
Posts: 400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy7716 View Post
At this point and time I don't think we can say for sure if we will be Buyers or Sellers at the deadline. I believe if at the deadline and we are 6pts or less out of a playoff spot Snow may try to add a top 6 forward or a top 4 defensemen to try to make a push for a playoff spot, sort of like what he did with Ryan Smyth in 06-07. However, If come the deadline and we are still about 10pts out and UFA's to be like PA and Franzy aren't signed that he may look to deal them.

So I ask, if we happened to be within 6pts of a spot and Snow decided to be a buyer who would you guys want him to realistically try to acquire and if we are way out of it and Snow is a seller who do you want him to deal away?

For me it's this:

Buyers- Hemsky(i know unpopular around here lol) Travis Moen, Tim Gleason, Tom Gilbert, Tuomo Rutuu. Rick Nash as well, but that's not as realistic lol.

Sellers: Eaton, Mottau, Jurcina, Nabokov, Rolston, Pandolfo, Staios

PA and Franzy I want re-signed, but if they aren't and Snow is getting alot of offers I guess I would be OK with as long as the return is good.
I don't want to put words in your mouth and assume that this is what you meant, but are you inferring that Garth could get one of your "buyers" for one or a combination of your "sellers"? Please clarify.

twentytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 04:34 PM
  #4
ziggy7716
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,104
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by twentytwo View Post
I don't want to put words in your mouth and assume that this is what you meant, but are you inferring that Garth could get one of your "buyers" for one or a combination of your "sellers"? Please clarify.
Sorry. No, the players I listed under Sellers are guys that I think he should trade off in the event we are far out of it and get whatever we can in return for them.

The players under buyers are players that I feel could be nice additions in the event we are within striking distance of a playoff spot and he decided to be a Buyer to make a push.

ziggy7716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 04:44 PM
  #5
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh
 
Mr Wentworth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 5,429
vCash: 500
No moves.

Why not?

Wang doest't want to take on any pay roll he doesn't have too.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 04:48 PM
  #6
ziggy7716
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,104
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post
No moves.

Why not?

Wang doest't want to take on any pay roll he doesn't have too.
I agree he doesn't, but to his defense that last few deadlines we haven't been in contention for a playoff spot really. If we did manage to get within realistic striking distance(6pts or fewer) I think it's possible. Look at 06-07, Isles were in contention for a spot and they acquired Ryan Smyth. So it seems to me he is willing to add pay roll if the playoffs are within reach. We shall see

ziggy7716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 04:49 PM
  #7
blinkman360
CdH for Norris
 
blinkman360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lawn Guyland
Country: United States
Posts: 9,344
vCash: 500
Hopefully buyers.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 05:00 PM
  #8
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO
 
Kevin27nyi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 9,461
vCash: 157
Trade Eaton to Team A for a 3rd rounder. Trade Staios to Team B for a 6th rounder. Trade Nabokov to Team C for a 2nd rounder.

Resign PAP and Nielsen.

Kevin27nyi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 05:02 PM
  #9
Original Rob
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 268
vCash: 500
Don't get your hopes up for either side of the coin - that we'll acquire any asset of use if we are buyers or sellers. What has "management" done since the Ryan Smyth trade to make anybody think they are capable of an impact move? I struggle to call the people in charge of this team "managers", btw.

Original Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 05:03 PM
  #10
ziggy7716
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,104
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin27NYI View Post
Trade Eaton to Team A for a 3rd rounder. Trade Staios to Team B for a 6th rounder. Trade Nabokov to Team C for a 2nd rounder.

Resign PAP and Nielsen.
This is what you want even if we are in the mix for a spot? Because I absolutely do want to see Nabokov moved if they have chance to make it. Nabby will be needed to make it. We can't rely on just Montoya

ziggy7716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 05:14 PM
  #11
Bauer Warrior*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,183
vCash: 500
I would suspect that Rick Nash will be on the move, Jeff Carter will be also, if Nash goes. Zack Parise could go. Jarome Iginla could go. but none of them will be on the Islanders.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 05:23 PM
  #12
LAIslanderFan
Registered User
 
LAIslanderFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 2,784
vCash: 500
I don't think the Islanders will be very busy. My feeling is that the playoffs will still be a stretch at that time. They won't want to trade Nielson or PAP, because they'll want to resign them. Nobody wants Rolston, Pandolfo, Eaton or Mattau. I would hope the Islanders would move Montoya or Nabby. They won't be able to sign both of them, so it would be good to get something for them.

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 05:28 PM
  #13
JKP
Registered User
 
JKP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,725
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
I don't think the Islanders will be very busy. My feeling is that the playoffs will still be a stretch at that time. They won't want to trade Nielson or PAP, because they'll want to resign them. Nobody wants Rolston, Pandolfo, Eaton or Mattau. I would hope the Islanders would move Montoya or Nabby. They won't be able to sign both of them, so it would be good to get something for them.
I agree with this excepting the goalies. Montoya has no value. He's played erratically and has been hurt. Nabby has value and won't be resigning with the Isles. He's the one to trade.

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 05:29 PM
  #14
Backhand of Justice
Casey Zeeky
 
Backhand of Justice's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Garden City, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,019
vCash: 500
Lol @ the thought of this team being active during the trade deadline. Not happening. This team will remain neutral.

Backhand of Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 05:32 PM
  #15
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO
 
Kevin27nyi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 9,461
vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy7716 View Post
This is what you want even if we are in the mix for a spot? Because I absolutely do want to see Nabokov moved if they have chance to make it. Nabby will be needed to make it. We can't rely on just Montoya
We're 25th in the league. Let's see where we are by the deadline but in the mix for a playoff spot to me is not being 25th in the league or 13th in the conference. And btw, it's 13th or tied for 15th with the Isles, Canes and Bolts all having 40 points.

And why can't we rely on Montoya? Montoya has a better save percentage and GAA than Nabokov who has played in 4 more games. It wasn't too long ago we were all talking about the Montoya Wall, he got run by Kane and got a concussion. He'll be back very soon by the sound of it (Cap interview yesterday) and I wouldn't be surprised if he played against Philly or the Canes.

Kevin27nyi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 06:25 PM
  #16
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™
 
MattMartin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 5,448
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
Guys that could be moving and what you think it would take to get them..

what i would personally give

Zach Parise - Whatever it takes
Bobby Ryan - Love the kid but would not give up the world
Jeff Carter - stay away
Alex Hemsky Again love the kid but often injured
Dustin Penner - Nothing crazy
Alexander Semin - 2nd rounder
Evander Kane - very little
Roberton Luongo Nothing
Jerome Iginla Nothing
Scott Gomez Nothing
Jonathan Bernier - Really like Bernier could be a cornerstone Goalie for years to come would give up a 2nd montaya/Franz
Derick Brassard - Would take a shot again though like Semin nothing higher then a 2nd rounder
Tim Gleason 2nd and 3rd rounder and staios/jurcina

__________________
GO BUFFALO
MattMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 06:46 PM
  #17
blitzkriegs
Registered User
 
blitzkriegs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Beach & Mtn & Island
Posts: 9,050
vCash: 500
The Isles just do not have any marketable assets worth moving.

Isles fans are not all into PAP, but if NYI do NOT resign him, where are NYI finding a guy in the UFA market that can put up 50-60+ points AND have chemistry with the teams best player???

PAP is the next Jason Blake story if he takes the money and runs in UFA season. He has a sweet spot here, he can make coin, and enjoy a solid career here. No one is taking his job anytime soon.

The goalie market is weak. Nabby has value (nothing much), but a team can be a playoff team in need of playoff-tested goalie would pay a modest mid-round pick.

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 06:50 PM
  #18
ziggy7716
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,104
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleOkposo View Post
Guys that could be moving and what you think it would take to get them..

what i would personally give

Zach Parise - Whatever it takes
Bobby Ryan - Love the kid but would not give up the world
Jeff Carter - stay away
Alex Hemsky Again love the kid but often injured
Dustin Penner - Nothing crazy
Alexander Semin - 2nd rounder
Evander Kane - very little
Roberton Luongo Nothing
Jerome Iginla Nothing
Scott Gomez Nothing
Jonathan Bernier - Really like Bernier could be a cornerstone Goalie for years to come would give up a 2nd montaya/Franz
Derick Brassard - Would take a shot again though like Semin nothing higher then a 2nd rounder
Tim Gleason 2nd and 3rd rounder and staios/jurcina
If we are in playoff contention by the deadline out of all these guys I can only see Snow realistically intersted in Gleason, Hemsky, Semin and Brassard only because of cost. They would cost the least out of everyone on that list. I would LOVE Parise, Kane or Ryan but Snow wouldn't want to part with the assets to get them.

Plus the chances of Parise getting dealt to a division rival is slim to none. IF Parise was traded I expect it to be a team out West.

ziggy7716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 06:54 PM
  #19
ziggy7716
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,104
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
The Isles just do not have any marketable assets worth moving.

Isles fans are not all into PAP, but if NYI do NOT resign him, where are NYI finding a guy in the UFA market that can put up 50-60+ points AND have chemistry with the teams best player???

PAP is the next Jason Blake story if he takes the money and runs in UFA season. He has a sweet spot here, he can make coin, and enjoy a solid career here. No one is taking his job anytime soon.

The goalie market is weak. Nabby has value (nothing much), but a team can be a playoff team in need of playoff-tested goalie would pay a modest mid-round pick.
I have to disagree. If Snow wanted to trade for a guy like Nash or Ryan, we have plenty of pieces teams would want. Our 1st, Nino, Strome, De Haan, Nelson, Lee, Kabanov, Cizikas, Nielsen etc.. Only difference is Snow wouldn't do it, but we definitely have the assets to acquire a top notch player.

As for PAP goes, I agree with your sentiments on that case.

ziggy7716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 06:56 PM
  #20
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 12,305
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy7716 View Post
If we are in playoff contention by the deadline out of all these guys I can only see Snow realistically intersted in Gleason, Hemsky, Semin and Brassard only because of cost. They would cost the least out of everyone on that list. I would LOVE Parise, Kane or Ryan but Snow wouldn't want to part with the assets to get them.
Nor should he if the guy is an upcoming UFA.

NO ONE PLAYER in this league is making us a Stanley Cup contender. None. Too many holes on this team.

Thus, you don't go for a guy like Parise at what it'd cost just to get us into the playoffs and MAYBE a round further. Forget it and look to sign him this summer.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 06:58 PM
  #21
blitzkriegs
Registered User
 
blitzkriegs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Beach & Mtn & Island
Posts: 9,050
vCash: 500
The Isles must be on a SERIOUS role before the deadline b/c looking at the March schedule (aka post-deadline), NYI are playing mostly division/conference rivals. NYI's performance against those teams is dismal.

I predict they sell what they can, which is not much.

If they buy, proceed with mega-caution on pulling those deals b/c of that schedule.

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 07:07 PM
  #22
TeamKidd
Registered User
 
TeamKidd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,763
vCash: 500
I dont think the isles will do much of anything. I think they will try to find takers for any of their veteran trash....likely no one will want rolston, pandolfo, eaton, mottau, or staios.....maybe staios...

i definitley see nabakov traded....

I also think the isles would consider trading PAP+ if the return is a young D prospect with upside or hopefully a young veteran top 6 scorer....

TeamKidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 07:39 PM
  #23
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards
 
Homeland Security's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NY/FL
Country: United States
Posts: 15,813
vCash: 500
This business of counting out teams that are 12 pts or fewer out of 8th with more than 35 games to go is silly. #NHL


From Botta's Twitter.

__________________
Homeland Security is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 08:07 PM
  #24
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO
 
Kevin27nyi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 9,461
vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
This business of counting out teams that are 12 pts or fewer out of 8th with more than 35 games to go is silly. #NHL


From Botta's Twitter.
I don't disagree with Botta but I just don't see how this team will be able to make the push. I think that outside of Tavares and by extention Moulson, no one really has what it takes to see the standings and hill it will take to climb and do something about it, rise out of the pressure instead of folding.

If Grabner can get going, the top line keeps on dominating and the goalies (both Monty and Nabby) keep playing well there is a chance I suppose but you need something out of the bottom 6. They literally have such a small impact on the game and that sucks and is holding them back. Combine with a bad D and it's just not enough to get in IMO.

Kevin27nyi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 08:07 PM
  #25
Law
Registered User
 
Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Miami, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 7,212
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Law
I just don't see us having a snowball's chance in hell of making the playoffs -- too many holes, no secondary scoring, questionable defense, too far behind, too many teams to climb over, too many loser points on a nightly basis, inconsistency. Following that logic, we should be sellers at the deadline. That said, outside of maybe Nabokov, we unfortunately don't have many trade-able assets. And I have no idea what the goaltender market will be come deadline (hell, we shipped Roloson out last year prior to it anyway). Eaton, Mottau, Staios, Reasoner? If we curse their names on nightly basis, are opposing scouts clamoring for their services?

Guess what I'm saying is, I think it will be generally quiet on the Isles-front next month.

Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:19 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.