Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Salary Situation 12-13

Old
02-17-2012, 02:26 AM
Theridion

vCash: 500
Salary Situation 12-13

Looking at the Ducks roster and salaries/contracts...

If I was a GM looking to build a winner, I'd be thrilled with this team.

THE CORE 8

28 Million

3 Forwards - Perry, Getz, Ryan

4 Defensemen - Visonovsky, Beachemin, Fowler, Sbisa

1 Goalie - Hiller

I just rounded off the money and it might be 28-29 million, but that's a huge core of this team for a reasonable amount... and the value is anchored largely in Sbisa and Fowler's deals.

2 Players I REALLY want resigned:

Blake earning 4 mil/year, I'd like to see him back, but for more like 2 mil.

Hagman I'd like to see back, and I'd give him a raise from 1.5 to 2.0 mil.

I don't know if I'm giddy about a Duck winning streak, but really, these guys just seem to fit on this team right now.

2 Players we're stuck with:

Cogs earns a bit high with 2.4 mil, I'd rather see that around 1.2-1.5 mil... but no going back now.

Lydmen is going to pull in 3 mil again.

Koivu/Selanne are toss-ups for next year. Hopefully Koivu resigns for 2.5m if Selanne retires.

The 600-900k Club:

Belesky, Bonino, Parros, Pelly, Pelley, Brookbank...

If the Duck's self-induced cap was 53 million, then you are looking at about 20 million to play with next year. That has to go to about 12-13 players... a little under 2 mil a player.

Assuming 8 of the 12 remaining slots get filled with the 600-900k club, that leave 14 mil to divide between 5 more players.

That's plenty of cash to sign a few guys.

5 mil/year dude
4 mil/year dude
3 mil/year dude
1 mil/year dude
1 mil/year dude

Ok, just rambling at this point. But I need to type to think...

Theridion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 02:51 AM
Gliff
Wild Bill

And if we invest that much money we will have much much less cash for Getz and Perry and Fowler next offseason.

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 03:07 AM
Theridion

Quote:
Originally Posted by gliff View Post
And if we invest that much money we will have much much less cash for Getz and Perry and Fowler next offseason.
True, if you sign/resign/trade for higher contracts, you will have less money left. But that's no different than saying if you sign a player, there is one less spot on the roster for another guy.

My brief estimation above leaves quite a bit of room between a soft-cap and the NHL cap. About 10 mil I believe. Which doesn't mean you are immediately going to jump to the cap, but it does give some wiggle room.

In fact, that was kind of the point of my post

Yes, players will be RFA/UFA this year or next year or the year after or whatever. There is always an 'impending doom' of eventually, someone is going to either ask for more money or walk. But that line of thinking is true no matter what you do..

If you have 20 players on your team, locked up for 10 years apiece at 2 million a year... and you have a successful team, someone can still point out that eventually, "your whole team will be UFA in the same YEAR!"... Its always doom and gloom and uncertainty

This team has a pretty nice looking salary schedule. Next season we will have to address a few important contracts, and the season after we will have to do it with a few different people, and the season after that... yeah, more people might be let go, signed, traded, or get raises or demotions...

But for next season, we have the core taken care of, and if Blake/Hagman/Koivu types stick around, we have the makings of a second line. The 3rd/4th line are going to be filler and youngsters, that's pretty much guaranteed going into next year.

So we're filling maybe 1 or 2 defensive slots, and 3-4 forward slots with a lot of cap space.

I wouldn't grab a 7mil/year guy, locked up for 5 years... but we can actually splurge a bit and still stay well under the cap AND have room to toss next year's FA's a mil or two raise here and there.

Theridion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 03:50 AM
JabbaJabba

Next season's lineup is very hard to predict. We may or may not make to playoffs, this should affect what we do at deadline. I don't believe that Murray does anything big. Also there a ton of prospects who are trying to get into lineup (Etem, DSP, Schultz, McMillan, Holland, Palmieri...). Some have one-way contracts next season which make things interesting (Deslauriers, Sexton, Gordon). Will Teemu retire? Which FAs are signed? Will Murray trade few away? So many questions. They should have some money to do few signings and still have money for Getzlaf, Perry and Fowler especially if they take discounts to play here.

JabbaJabba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 01:32 PM
jepjepjoo

I love how you have Koivu and Selanne under "players we are stuck with"

jepjepjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 01:42 PM
Gliff
Wild Bill

Is everyone forgetting the CBA expires this year? We may not have a next season.

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote