HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Van & Edm

Old
01-22-2012, 10:53 PM
JerkChicken

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
Exactly, Vancouver should trade Schneider for a lot less, but outside the division.
Huh? A lot less than what? Than the original proposal?

Bottom line: The original proposal is not enough to move Schneider. PLUS...it's a trade within the division.

0 for 2.

JerkChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:14 PM
Nuck This

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
I'm amazed that fans on here don't watch hockey other than the (divisionally) first place Canucks.

Schneider is good, but looks better playing in front of an awesome team. Better than Dubnyk? Hell yes, but certainly not by the amount you seem to think. Dubnyk's only problem is consistency. But neither has proven that they can start in the NHL.
Last year the Canucks went through 14 defenseman. Schneider had a .929 save%

It's true you haven't seen much of Schneider. You can't just judge him on stats. I haven't seen a goalie in the NHL right this instance who has a better butterfly and a stronger core. He's always in position square and move laterally better than most goalies in the NHL. Also you won't meet a brighter and character goalie in the league. Very well spoken and nothing bothers him. If he lets in a goal he doesn't panic and he can handle the media. He's a franchise goaltender and he won't be had for anything less than a massive talent coming to Van. Luongo has been a consistent top 3 goalie in the NHL since the lockout and the Canucks still haven't traded Schneider? That tells you something.

Nuck This is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:18 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
Last year the Canucks went through 14 defenseman. Schneider had a .929 save%

It's true you haven't seen much of Schneider. You can't just judge him on stats. I haven't seen a goalie in the NHL right this instance who has a better butterfly and a stronger core. He's always in position square and move laterally better than most goalies in the NHL. Also you won't meet a brighter and character goalie in the league. Very well spoken and nothing bothers him. If he lets in a goal he doesn't panic and he can handle the media. He's a franchise goaltender and he won't be had for anything less than a massive talent coming to Van. Luongo has been a consistent top 3 goalie in the NHL since the lockout and the Canucks still haven't traded Schneider? That tells you something.
No, he's not. He's a backup with tremendous upside. Luongo has been good...consistent in any way, including status as "top three" is not true. Schneider has been kept around because he is good and Luongo has pressure issues. Not to mention the goalie market sucking in recent years. A trade makes no sense because they probably haven't been offered enough for him. Don't tell me I haven't seen him much either, unless you know my hockey watching habits . He is pretty good, but until he starts 60+ NHL games, he isn't worth what you are saying he is.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:29 PM
Nuck This

Quote:
No, he's not. He's a backup with tremendous upside. Luongo has been good...consistent in any way, including status as "top three" is not true. Schneider has been kept around because he is good and Luongo has pressure issues. Not to mention the goalie market sucking in recent years. A trade makes no sense because they probably haven't been offered enough for him. Don't tell me I haven't seen him much either, unless you know my hockey watching habits . He is pretty good, but until he starts 60+ NHL games, he isn't worth what you are saying he is.
He's a starter on 25 other teams.

Old
01-22-2012, 11:30 PM
Nuck This

Quote:
Name me the three goalies who have been more consistent than Luongo.

Old
01-23-2012, 12:20 AM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
DET? No. NSH? No. PIT? No. MIN? No. NJD? No. NYR? No. STL? No. MTL? No. BOS? No. LA? No. CGY? No. CAR? No. BUF? No.

Those are the obvious ones. Add in some debatable teams and the fact he isn't even your starter and I'd say he could probably be a starter on 10-15 teams in the league. But to suggest your team possesses not just one, but two top 5 goalies is completely laughable.

Roof Daddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:31 AM
IBLeaf*

Quote:
Really...?

IBLeaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:38 AM
Campoli2Burrows

Quote:
Come on son you're making us all look bad.

Campoli2Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:43 AM
Campoli2Burrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
DET? No. NSH? No. PIT? No. MIN? No. NJD? No. NYR? No. STL? No. MTL? No. BOS? No. LA? No. CGY? No. CAR? No. BUF? No.

Those are the obvious ones. Add in some debatable teams and the fact he isn't even your starter and I'd say he could probably be a starter on 10-15 teams in the league. But to suggest your team possesses not just one, but two top 5 goalies is completely laughable.
Not as obvious as you make them out. Pretty sure with the way Brodeur has played this year they would be splitting starts and Schneider has looked way better than either Miller or Enroth. That 25 team statement was a bit ridiculous, but he could go to both those teams and win the starting role without much problem.

Campoli2Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 01:01 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
He might be good enough to be, but he's never played a 60+ game NHL schedule as a starter. Until he does that, he's a potential future starter, not a starter. There's a big difference in value between the two.

Old
01-23-2012, 01:03 AM
vezna*
Canada's Team

why would the canucks trade schneider to the same conference, let alone their neighbor

vezna* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 01:07 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vezna View Post
why would the canucks trade schneider to the same conference, let alone their neighbor
If it gets them the best return, why wouldn't they? This "don't trade within the confrence" stuff happens rarely. Its another overblown HF standard. I swear, I expect to see a Habs fan ask about Colton Orr and see this "same conference" response pop up (not intended as a Leafs attack, Orr was just the first AHL guy I thought of).

Old
01-23-2012, 01:22 AM
vancityluongo

Something around Schneider and Dubnyk would make great sense if the teams weren't division rivals. Schneider is the perfect goalie to split games with a guy like Khabbibulin until he's ready to handle 60+ (probably next season), while Dubnyk has the talent to take heat off of Luongo occasionally, as long as he isn't asked to do it consistently over a long stretch of games.

You guys wanna re-unite Hodgson and Eberle? How about Schneider, Hodgson and Tanev for FrankenHall and Dubnyk?

vancityluongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 01:27 AM
Cogburn

Quote:
If it gets them the best return, why wouldn't they? This "don't trade within the confrence" stuff happens rarely. Its another overblown HF standard. I swear, I expect to see a Habs fan ask about Colton Orr and see this "same conference" response pop up (not intended as a Leafs attack, Orr was just the first AHL guy I thought of).
It's not the best return, as it has nothing to do with what we would be looking for. Period. If it were Smyth or Hemsky or Whitney there'd be a basis, but we don't want or need futures for someone who plays a major role in our organization, and has a great deal invested in him from our standpoint. Why would we trade him within the division, even assuming Paaravi (spelling?) is the best we could get? He isn't a piece we can use now, or even guarantee that we can use properly in the next 2-3.

Last edited by Moo: 01-23-2012 at 02:26 AM.
Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 01:28 AM
dixs35

vCash: 0
Just Offer Sheet him and give up a 2nd rounder. Good for both teams....

dixs35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 01:43 AM
IBLeaf*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vezna View Post
How did we get Kessel and Grabovski?

IBLeaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 02:13 AM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeteranNetPresence View Post
MPS sucks, so no
Giroux, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Chara, and Tim Thomas all "sucked" when they were 20 too

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 02:16 AM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
Giroux, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Chara, and Tim Thomas all "sucked" when they were 20 too
No he is right MPS sucks

Oilmageddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 02:18 AM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
Dale Weise sucked when he was 20, so does that mean he will become a superstar?

And using Thomas as an example is horrible.
Should teams wait until MPS is 35 to judge how good he is?

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Nuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 02:29 AM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Stick to debating the trade proposal, not attacking fan bases.

Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 02:36 AM
coastal_nuck

Quote:
Ugh, this is absolutely ridiculous.

coastal_nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 02:37 AM
coastal_nuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by newoilburnsclean View Post
No he is right MPS sucks
Lol, even the Oilers are hating on him this much? What happened to him? Not long ago, he was one of the top prospects in the NHL. Hard to imagine that he would fall so far, so fast. He's still a fairly good blend of being a big body with loads of speed to spare no?

coastal_nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 02:41 AM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal_nuck View Post
Lol, even the Oilers are hating on him this much? What happened to him? Not long ago, he was one of the top prospects in the NHL. Hard to imagine that he would fall so far, so fast. He's still a fairly good blend of being a big body with loads of speed to spare no?
I knew he was overated comming in had many fights with fellow Oil fans telling them 12 goals in the Sel in his third year there was a cause for concern.

Oilmageddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 02:46 AM
nowhereman

The deepest offensive team in the NHL has no need for a prospect who can't even crack Edmonton's lineup. They want to win NOW.

nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 02:48 AM
denkiteki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post

I agree he isnt a starter on 25 times but that said, you could make an argument for some of those teams at certain points of this season/near future of this season.

Det - At times this could become a yes... i.e. when Det signed Nabby, at that point, the answer would be yes. If Howard has a bad second half, the same argument can be made again.

NJD - If they want to make the playoffs, the answer will be a yes.

CGY - If rumors are true that Kipper wants out, the answer again becomes yes.

Buf - Based on Miller's play this year, its not far fetched that if Cory was there, he would be currently the starter.

STL - If you asked them when Halak was playing bad and they were struggling, the answer would've been a yes. Its not like Brian Elliott hasn't been good for a while then suddenly struggle.

As far as top 5 goalies are concerned, again the list of goalies vary every year. Just look at Thomas the past few years. 3 years ago, he was the best goalie. 2 years ago, he was more or less a backup and horrible. Then last year he was lights out again. Cory has the upside to be someone who can be a top 5 goalie if given the chance but that can also be said for 15-20 goalies in the NHL. The 'nucks (and Bruins) just happen to have 2 of them.

denkiteki is offline   Reply With Quote