HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

KHL says they're working on possibility of August/September games against NHL

Old
01-21-2012, 10:16 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
KHL says they're working on possibility of August/September games against NHL

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...235021451.html

Quote:
Before the start of the All Star Game, KHL President Alexander Medvedev told Sovetsky Sport that the KHL is working yet again on the possibility of bringing NHL teams to Russia to play pre-season exhibition games.
Medvedev added: "We are planning to hold 5-7 games in August-September 2012. We are in negotiations with team owners. All of the clubs [involved] are of the top level."

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 10:18 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
Good luck with that, Medvedev.

No offense to the KHL, but I don't see NHL players coming back from their summer vacations early just for good will trips to Russia.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 10:41 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Not to mention that with the threat of a lockout, I know they won't board a charter team flight until things work out.

August? No way. September -- last week, maybe.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 10:44 PM
billybobjoe1881

vCash: 50
If they want us to send them our teams they should send us two of their teams.

billybobjoe1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 11:04 PM
r0bert8841

Send a message via AIM to r0bert8841
I would love to see the Ducks or Flyers play Vitayz. I really don't care otherwise.

r0bert8841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 11:13 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
If they sent them over here as well, I wouldn't mind the idea given that it's still during pre-season. I'd go see them play.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:00 AM
funky11

The Stanley Cup champion should play the KHL champion. They should make it a yearly tradition and the winning league hosts the next year.

funky11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 03:10 AM
sh724

Yea there is no way the NHL does this, the times NHL teams have played KHL teams it was after the KHL season started and before then NHL starts. Their is no way the NHL or the PA is going to take the risk and expense of starting camp August 1st just to play a few games in Russia and then come back and sit around for a month before real camp begins. Most teams dont even have their roster finalized by then.

NHL teams gain nothing buy playing KHL teams, especially with the games in Russia. I think it was last year when one of the games got out of hand and could have been really bad for the NHL team. NHL teams have played them a few times as tune ups right before playing another NHL team in Europe they are not going to make special trips to play russians teams with no benefit to themselves.

In these games if the NHL team wins then its no big deal bc everybody expects them to win but if they lose then it a huge deal. While the Russian teams loving playing bc win or lose they make more money off of those games then any actual game they play all year.

While I do have some sympathy for KHL teams playing exhibition games in the middle of their season, the KHL cant expect the NHL to rewrite the CBA to accomadate the KHL. If the KHL does not want to play NHL teams during their season then they shouldnt play them at all.

sh724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 03:19 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Good luck with that, Medvedev.

No offense to the KHL, but I don't see NHL players coming back from their summer vacations early just for good will trips to Russia.
This.

Also the main reason why I never see a Global Series taking place between the MLB and NPB champions. Nothing really to put on the table from the player's perspective that'd make it worthwhile to play additional games.

Maybe if the NHL's interested in having a few of their European games in Russia with an exhibition game or two over there prior to it, that might work.... but anything beyond that I really don't buy at all.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 04:12 AM
begbeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by funky11 View Post
The Stanley Cup champion should play the KHL champion. They should make it a yearly tradition and the winning league hosts the next year.
This is wonderful idea. Again, someone is soon going to post: why should NHL teams care in some exhibition games?

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 04:28 AM
NMF78

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorton724 View Post
Yea there is no way the NHL does this, the times NHL teams have played KHL teams it was after the KHL season started and before then NHL starts. Their is no way the NHL or the PA is going to take the risk and expense of starting camp August 1st just to play a few games in Russia and then come back and sit around for a month before real camp begins. Most teams dont even have their roster finalized by then.

NHL teams gain nothing buy playing KHL teams, especially with the games in Russia. I think it was last year when one of the games got out of hand and could have been really bad for the NHL team. NHL teams have played them a few times as tune ups right before playing another NHL team in Europe they are not going to make special trips to play russians teams with no benefit to themselves.

In these games if the NHL team wins then its no big deal bc everybody expects them to win but if they lose then it a huge deal. While the Russian teams loving playing bc win or lose they make more money off of those games then any actual game they play all year.

While I do have some sympathy for KHL teams playing exhibition games in the middle of their season, the KHL cant expect the NHL to rewrite the CBA to accomadate the KHL. If the KHL does not want to play NHL teams during their season then they shouldnt play them at all.

i also see very little for KHL teams to gain from this

NMF78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:45 PM
sh724

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMF78 View Post
If a KHL team beats an NHL team its huge for them, their fans, sponsors, everybody.

Old
01-22-2012, 01:48 PM
sh724

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbeee View Post
This is wonderful idea. Again, someone is soon going to post: why should NHL teams care in some exhibition games?
I think the NHL team would care about that but the biggest problem is when you would play. When the Stanley Cup is given out the KHL season has been over for a while and the world championships are going on

Old
01-22-2012, 02:16 PM
Purple hippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorton724 View Post
If a KHL team beats an NHL team its huge for them, their fans, sponsors, everybody.
Meh, not really. At the end of the day, SKA finished 3rd and failed during the play-offs, beating Carolina dosnt make those results any better. Beating an NHL club is a cool side note but it quickly becomes forgotten if you dont produce during league play. It may help gather interest for a club in financial trouble but what happens when they struggle in league, sponsors have no interest in a losing club.

For KHL officials it may be a big deal, for fans and sponsors, its just an exhibition match, you dont keep that winning going against meaningful opponents, nobody cares.

Purple hippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 02:37 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by funky11 View Post
I don't see any reason at all why the NHL would ever agree to that. The NHL views itself as the premier hockey league in the world and agreeing to have their champion play another league's champion would be admitting that the other league was on an equal level. So why would they do that?

rojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 02:55 PM
edog37

instead of being in August, how about them doing a home & home in the middle of the season? I remember the 80s when the Red Army team would play the Pens in Jan.

edog37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:26 PM
EvilPirateZamboni
Taco Loco!!!

vCash: 845
Playing exhibition games in Europe in August? I'm sure all the top players and teams are dreaming of an opportunity like this.

Shanahan could draft an all-repeat-offenders team as punishment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMF78 View Post
$$$$$$$$ ?

EvilPirateZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:47 PM
Balls Mahoney
The Tryamkin Era!!!

I'd absolutely love a yearly NHL vs. KHL matchup or series but logistically it seems improbable to me. The timing would be all wrong as the KHL starts about six weeks before the NHL does. Still, I think KHL and European teams could surprise. Especially in games that would be that important.

Balls Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:01 AM
VanIslander
10 Years of ATDing

Quote:
Originally Posted by edog37 View Post
instead of being in August, how about them doing a home & home in the middle of the season? I remember the 80s when the Red Army team would play the Pens in Jan.
The previous year's championship clubs, yeah that would be neat, as a December or January game, even though the team isn't necessarily the same as the previous year's winning squad.

Only, who really things the KHL rivals the NHL? there was a time when Russian/Soviet hockey rivaled the NHL's, hence the dual motivation for such showcases. However, that time has passed.

These days, playing a KHL team would be on par with a Swedish, Czech or Finn team as NHL pre-season fodder in September imo. That's the most that'll happen.

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:29 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenskaRiga View Post
Meh, not really. At the end of the day, SKA finished 3rd and failed during the play-offs, beating Carolina dosnt make those results any better. Beating an NHL club is a cool side note but it quickly becomes forgotten if you dont produce during league play. It may help gather interest for a club in financial trouble but what happens when they struggle in league, sponsors have no interest in a losing club.
Another facet to that game, which will no doubt turn the NHL off of this idea: that game got disgustingly dirty. There were guys taking runs (with little interference from the refs) in what was, for the Canes, a preseason game. They pulled their better players because of it.

That game was a bit of a disaster, and I can't see the NHL being too happy about a repeat.

cptjeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 01:39 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

We missed "Atlanta vs. Atlant" by one year

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 08:50 AM
edog37

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
The previous year's championship clubs, yeah that would be neat, as a December or January game, even though the team isn't necessarily the same as the previous year's winning squad.

Only, who really things the KHL rivals the NHL? there was a time when Russian/Soviet hockey rivaled the NHL's, hence the dual motivation for such showcases. However, that time has passed.

These days, playing a KHL team would be on par with a Swedish, Czech or Finn team as NHL pre-season fodder in September imo. That's the most that'll happen.
agreed which is why I want to see this mid season instead of pre-season. Let's face it, most NHL teams are about on par with Swedish, Czech of Finn teams at that point of the year. It would end once & for all this seemingly ridiculous debate on which was the better league....the KHL talks a big game, fine prove it....

edog37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 01:47 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by edog37 View Post
agreed which is why I want to see this mid season instead of pre-season. Let's face it, most NHL teams are about on par with Swedish, Czech of Finn teams at that point of the year. It would end once & for all this seemingly ridiculous debate on which was the better league....the KHL talks a big game, fine prove it....
You're never going to prove a debate with single game matchups, if anything you're going to add fuel to the fire because in the game of hockey any team can win on a given night, especially when you start throwing in a home side advantage that includes rink size and rules.

There's a reason why we have a best of 7 playoff format to determine the best team in the NHL. I don't think the KHL champs would ever beat the NHL champs in a best of 7 series, but if they played one it probably would probably be on average 5-6 game series, not a sweep. We all know that a best of 7 would never get arranged, if anything all you'd get is a single game and all they need is a single game to declare KHL best league in the world!

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 02:30 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
You're never going to prove a debate with single game matchups, if anything you're going to add fuel to the fire because in the game of hockey any team can win on a given night, especially when you start throwing in a home side advantage that includes rink size and rules.

There's a reason why we have a best of 7 playoff format to determine the best team in the NHL. I don't think the KHL champs would ever beat the NHL champs in a best of 7 series, but if they played one it probably would probably be on average 5-6 game series, not a sweep. We all know that a best of 7 would never get arranged, if anything all you'd get is a single game and all they need is a single game to declare KHL best league in the world!
KHL is prepared to play best of 7 series. NHL does not want. It is better to have one game among NHL/KHL teams than nothing.

vorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 02:37 PM
Purple hippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Another facet to that game, which will no doubt turn the NHL off of this idea: that game got disgustingly dirty. There were guys taking runs (with little interference from the refs) in what was, for the Canes, a preseason game. They pulled their better players because of it.

That game was a bit of a disaster, and I can't see the NHL being too happy about a repeat.
And on the other side, the DR v. Phoenix match was the complete opposite, neither club cared, nobody finished their checks, players got away with looking at the puck, Tellqvist made a mistake and was laughing afterwards, he played towards the crowd. It was terrible to watch and a waste of having Phoenix come to Latvia and making our guys play this match.

The only decent match between the leagues was Magnitogorsk v. NYR and that had "meaning" behind it with the Victoria Cup. I dont care at all for these matches and hope this never comes about.

Purple hippo is offline   Reply With Quote