HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

KHL says they're working on possibility of August/September games against NHL

Old
01-23-2012, 02:38 PM
cutchemist42

vCash: 500
Yeah the NHL was not really that supportive of playing the Champions' League team with the Stanley Cup winning team, even with 1 million at stake.

Also as a sidenote, Bud Selig wants the MLB and NPB champs to play a best of 7 at the end.

cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 05:47 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

If they want to come here for exhibition games during out exhibition season like the NHL clubs have done in Europe - which I don't like - then, OK. Otherwise I don't want any part of them. Or their airplanes. And that's not a wise crack.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 10:57 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
KHL is prepared to play best of 7 series. NHL does not want. It is better to have one game among NHL/KHL teams than nothing.
I wasn't really talking about who wants to do what, but rather how difficult it would be to arrange considering the leagues are at opposite ends of the world and there's what, a 4-6 week gap in league start times? Because of this, and to be fair a lot of people over here wish our season started a month earlier, it doesn't make sense at either end of the season to have a serious meaningful series.

But yeah like Mr Atoz says above if there's such an interest in cross league play why does the NHL always have to go over to Russia?

RandV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 11:41 PM
sh724

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
I wasn't really talking about who wants to do what, but rather how difficult it would be to arrange considering the leagues are at opposite ends of the world and there's what, a 4-6 week gap in league start times? Because of this, and to be fair a lot of people over here wish our season started a month earlier, it doesn't make sense at either end of the season to have a serious meaningful series.

But yeah like Mr Atoz says above if there's such an interest in cross league play why does the NHL always have to go over to Russia?
The reason the NHL teams have played in Russia the last few years is because the NHL teams are already playing in Europe they are not making a special trip to play the KHL. If the NHL decided to send teams to play in Russia just to be playing KHL teams you can expect KHL teams coming to play in NA as well. Also games in Russia between NHL and KHL teams are a big draw for them with ppl wanting to see the NHL and hoping they see a huge upset. NHL fans wouldnt be that interested in watching the games in person.

sh724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 09:59 AM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Complete slap down by Bill Daly.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...f-russian-trip

Quote:
Word out of Russia during the KHL’s all-star break is the Russian-based league to bring NHL teams over in August and September for exhibition games.

“We are planning to hold 5-7 games in August-September 2012. We are in negotiations with team owners. All of the clubs (involved) are of the top level,” KHL president Alexander Medvedev told reporters in Russia in a story posted by the hockey blog site Puck Daddy.

Co-incidentally, next September would be the 40th anniversary of the Canada-Russia Summit series.

However, NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly threw water on the idea very quickly responding to an email from the Star.

“Not only have we not discussed it, but it’s not going to happen,” Daly told the Star.

kdb209 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 04:41 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Daly just destroyed that one. Even I chuckled

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 06:28 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

No shocker at all. Little to no positives for the NHL, so why do it?

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 06:46 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

I would have rather seen Avtomobilist vs. Columbus or CSKA Moscow vs. Habs had that happened...

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 12:16 AM
Finnish your Czech
Jermain Defriend

I'd be okay with Montreal, Buffalo, Ottawa and Boston playing vityaz chekhov right before the start of the season.

Finnish your Czech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 01:07 AM
sh724

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
I would have rather seen Avtomobilist vs. Columbus or CSKA Moscow vs. Habs had that happened...
I read that wrong at first and thought it said automobile vs columbus, sadly columbus would still probably lose to a car on ice

sh724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 06:01 AM
jekoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
KHL is prepared to play best of 7 series. NHL does not want.
Of course they don't, what would be their excuse then?

jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote