HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flames win 6-2...is anybody really surprised?

Old
01-22-2012, 12:33 AM
metallicat
@metallicat51

vCash: 500
This team isn't mad enough in the first period. They should be coming out with a serious mean streak from the opening faceoff.

metallicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 12:33 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
They don't need to acquire a 2nd line Centre. The team is stuck with your favorite player and they have Belanger for 2 more years as well.
Lander will be a 3rd line option in 2 years and they have some depth down the middle in the system which should be available once Belangers contract expires. I also think they need to start moving some draft picks....the cupboards are stocked.

They have no depth what so ever on defence. That's been the problem since the season started. This team will not turn this losing culture around until they improve the goaltending and the defence. The forward depth is something they need to look at to improve the defence.
What depth?

And if what Yzerman said was true, you have to give up the moon to upgrade on defense. Are you willing to part with PRV and a first rounder and possibly even more than that?

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 12:36 AM
Asher

Quote:
They don't need to acquire a 2nd line Centre. The team is stuck with your favorite player and they have Belanger for 2 more years as well.
Lander will be a 3rd line option in 2 years and they have some depth down the middle in the system which should be available once Belangers contract expires. I also think they need to start moving some draft picks....the cupboards are stocked.

They have no depth what so ever on defence. That's been the problem since the season started. This team will not turn this losing culture around until they improve the goaltending and the defence. The forward depth is something they need to look at to improve the defence.
Another option would be to draft Grigorenko to be your 2C. As much as I like the buzz around Yakupov the idea of having RNH and Grigorenko as a 1-2 punch down the middle is tempting to say the least. You could then either: re-sign Hemsky, make Gagner your 2RW, sign a UFA (I admit I don't who's available) or look at a trade. There are many viable options to a GM who's willing to show some guts about it.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 12:36 AM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
UFAs wouldn't come to Edmonton even if they were winning.
Betcha Sather would come back if Katz threw enough money at him . Sounds like a plan to me .

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 12:37 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
MacT Renney MacRenney RenT. It's all the same thing, same philosophy, same system, same veteran favoritism.
Quinn was just an outdated dinosaur.

Obviously, part of the problem is the guy who is hiring these coaches but the coaches are a big part of the problem. Tambellini should be canned also but he has a trade deadline, draft and an offseason to make an impact while Renney seems to have lost the room already. It seems to me that Renney will be the fall guy if these putrid performances continue to pile up post All Star Break.
The man who hired an 'outdated dinosaur' and wastes a year of team development is the problem IMO.

Having said that I do think you are correct in stating that Renney will likely take the fall. Tambo (like his boss) will likely get a promotion.

On a side note...I just turned off Tencer. He glosses over the culture issue by saying the team made player changes but he conveniently forgets that the man responsible for the losing culture (Lowe) got a promotion and then hires the man responsible for building this mess of a team.

Hey Tencer....the losing culture is defined by the management.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 12:37 AM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
What depth?

And if what Yzerman said was true, you have to give up the moon to upgrade on defense. Are you willing to part with PRV and a first rounder and possibly even more than that?
Yep.

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 12:38 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Just got back from the game. Man was our goaltending bad tonight. I was really impressed with Hall (big surprise) and Jones tonight. Hall was flying and Jones hit everything that moved

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Betcha Sather would come back if Katz threw enough money at him . Sounds like a plan to me .

I see what you did there...

Old
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Slats was also part of the problem by drafting busts and thinking players were a bust if they didn't make the team 2 seasons after being drafted.

01-22-2012, 12:39 AM
metallicat
@metallicat51

I'm catching up on the PVR, watching Renney's presser. How can he, with a straight face, that pulling the goalie with 4 minutes left when down by three goals was the right decision? How can that be the right decision?

metallicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 12:40 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
What depth?

I know, I know...according to you Tambo has no assets and no options.

If thats true (and I don't beleive it is) then ask yourself why Tambo created the holes he now has to fill?

BTW...yes...dealing PRV and draft picks should definitely be on the agenda at this point. Doing nothing accomplishes nothing. Tambo can't be scared to make a mistake.

Old
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
Another option would be to draft Grigorenko to be your 2C. As much as I like the buzz around Yakupov the idea of having RNH and Grigorenko as a 1-2 punch down the middle is tempting to say the least. You could then either: re-sign Hemsky, make Gagner your 2RW, sign a UFA (I admit I don't who's available) or look at a trade. There are many viable options to a GM who's willing to show some guts about it.
I see it the same way. If we draft 1st, wait to see if someone is crazy for Yakupov, preferably from the team 2nd overall for that pick and Dman.

Obviously if we draft 3rd, then pick Dman since Grigs is probably gone by then unless someone is extremely high on Murray/Dumba/Trouba

Old
oil4life14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoil View Post
I really think its getting close to put the C on Hall, this guy soo badly wants to win and you can see it in his eyes, and his play...He genuinely cares about this team and this city...He needs to be the leader soon IMO
Would be nice to wake up in the morning to a presser of Katz announcing he has canned the entire coaching staff and Tambo . New Manager is announced, joins presser, anounces and introduces new head coach, who hands a sweater to Hall with a C on it. New GM then announces since no GM in the right frame of mind will take Horcoffs contract he is sending to OKC. A man can dream can't he???

oil4life14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 12:41 AM
Wyrm

Quote:
No thanks. I hope the Oilers can get Jim Nill out of Detroit.
And how do you propose we do that?

Wyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 12:41 AM
Beerfish

Quote:

If the team has three 3rd/4th line centers vying for that 2nd line spot it is a massive weakness. Our present 1st line/2nd line center whom shall not be named has 1 goal in his last 25 games. As long as that combo is there the oilers will fail. I'm not at all disputing the major weaknesses of this team. I am disputing that we are going to get 2nd pairing dmen and a new good goalie for the price of what you are talking about.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 12:42 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by subnet View Post
Unfortunately aggressive and Tambo doesn't fit in the same sentence...
Maybe we can bring Rollie back?

Along with Spacek and Hamrlik.

Then we would be set.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 12:43 AM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
The man who hired an 'outdated dinosaur' and wastes a year of team development is the problem IMO.
It has always been my contention that Quinn was hired as an exercise in PR . Heatley had snubbed the organization and they were desperate to get a famous name associated with the team .

The cynic in me believes they also knew that he wouldn't succeed given the crap roster they iced but they also knew that nobody who valued his life would ever accuse Quinn of tanking anything .

Famous name wants to come to Edmonton ... check .
Celebrated coach can't stop the free fall to 30th .... check .

Two birds with one stone .

Old
01-22-2012, 12:43 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
I know, I know...according to you Tambo has no assets and no options.

If thats true (and I don't beleive it is) then ask yourself why Tambo created the holes he now has to fill?
He has assets and options, I'm just not not sure why you'd give them up. I don't see teams clamouring to pick up Sam Gagner or Magnus Paajarvi.. Ales Hemsky is really our only valuable asset at this stage and I don't think even he gets you an upgrade on defense without throwing another pick or prospect in there.

Like others have said, you have to give something up to get something. And unless Darryl Sutter is GM again and we can give him Eager and peanuts for Giordano... I'm just not sure what plausible trade you can make without giving up more than you get.

Old
01-22-2012, 12:44 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
I agree...Tambo needs to grow a set and do something.

A good GM doesn't sit back and stock the cupboards and do nothing else.

Old
01-22-2012, 12:45 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
Agreed...WTF is wrong with Smyth anyway? Is he just tired? Cause quite honestly, it looks like he doesn't give a flying **** anymore. If I'm Katz, I'm having a one on one with Smyth and ask him what's wrong, there has to be an issue somewhere. Smyth has been in 3 different organizations the last few years and he should have some sort of insight.
Without Smyth, we dont even score a goal tonight.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 12:46 AM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Slats was also part of the problem by drafting busts and thinking players were a bust if they didn't make the team 2 seasons after being drafted.
Nah , Slats was golden . Besides as you are so fond of pointing out nobody wants to come to Edmonton ... may as well hire a guy who's already proven he can handle the circus .

Old
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Maybe we can bring Rollie back?

Along with Spacek and Hamrlik.

Then we would be set.
Haha. Not sure if serious but I could actually see us perform better with those 3 in the lineup

Old
JessikaLovejoy

So i took a nap and ended up missing the whole game. I just have some questions for those that watched:

1. Did Belanger play with MPS?

2. Did Belanger play on the pp?

3. Were the goals given up lousy? or legit?

Thanks!

JessikaLovejoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
He has assets and options, I'm just not not sure why you'd give them up. I don't see teams clamouring to pick up Sam Gagner or Magnus Paajarvi.. Ales Hemsky is really our only valuable asset at this stage and I don't think even he gets you an upgrade on defense without throwing another pick or prospect in there.

Like others have said, you have to give something up to get something. And unless Darryl Sutter is GM again and we can give him Eager and peanuts for Giordano... I'm just not sure what plausible trade you can make without giving up more than you get.
Your examples make no sense.

Teams assess and value players differently...thats why trades are made. If every team felt the same way about every player then no trades would ever get done. Different teams have different needs. Different opportunities allow for players to fulfill their potential or reclaim their former success.

Old
01-22-2012, 12:48 AM
OILFAN #81

This is not the way a rebuild is supposed to be done. This team is pathetic. It is absolutely embarassing at this point. We are the laughing stock of the league for a 3rd year in a row. People preach "patience patience, we are in year 2 of a 5 year rebuild"........none of that matters if your team has a losing mentality and don't improve. We finished with 62 points two years in a row, and we might finish with LESS then that this year.....that is a effing joke. How the hell does every damn person in management still have a job? They all have to get the axe from the coach to the GM to the head of hockey operations to the President/CEO etc etc.

What I find frustrating is the people who think a top 3 pick this year is yet another enormous step in the rebuild and then a year from now we will be in the bottom 3 again and then they will say that top 3 pick will be another big step and so on. When did losing become acceptable???? Fans I think wanted this years Oilers team to be around 75 points and show some signs of improvement. To potentially have LESS points then the past few years???? That isn't rebuilding to me. It is a disgrace and I am glad people are starting to realize it. This team is miles behind any of the playoff teams and it isn't even close (again nobody expected playoffs but people expected 70+ points where this junk of a team will be lucky to hit 62).

Hall
RNH
Eberle
Gilbert
Smid
Jones

Those are the only 6 players I like on this team. Everyone else can get traded and I wouldn't care. So tired of this crap.

OILFAN #81 is offline   Reply With Quote