HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Clarke MacArthur - slump or a one-off season?

Old
01-22-2012, 08:31 PM
jaateloauto
Nothing is overrated

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Berezin View Post
Hey, you know what... lets rip on Kessel now too! What has he done for me lately?!
You must be new here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALDAL View Post
When you are making ****ing millions of dollars a year you better ****ing show up like what the ****... Kulemin play hockey or retire you scrub we could of had Mike Richards for you but burke did not want you in that deal u *****
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Child View Post
I don't see how that explains how he seems to have no idea what to do with the puck on his stick anymore.

Don't let a tragedy interfere with how you do your job.
Wow. Just wow. This thread is just filled with complete and utter crap. These keyboard warriors think life is a video game.

Now I don't know if Kulemin is having trouble with personal issues or not, but writing this diarrhea is low even by HFboards standards.

jaateloauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 08:59 PM
pacdunes

when will Mac stop looking down at the puck to carry it?

pacdunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 09:11 PM
Burkeburger*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacdunes View Post
when will Mac stop looking down at the puck to carry it?
That's a junior hockey related thing. That ether sucks or doesn't. It comes from the junior games and stays with you. It's a bothering fact for sure.

Last edited by Burkeburger*: 01-22-2012 at 09:24 PM. Reason: LOL I wrote sucks instead of "STUCKS" :biglaugh:
Burkeburger* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 09:21 PM
driver3000

Mac just hasn't gotten it together all season. I don't think anyone on the team misses the net as much as he does. I used to really be a fan of his but it seems like he just rode the coat tails of his line's success last year. It's a shame.

driver3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 09:24 PM
The Reaper
Men of Mayhem

vCash: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by driver3000 View Post
Mac just hasn't gotten it together all season. I don't think anyone on the team misses the net as much as he does. I used to really be a fan of his but it seems like he just rode the coat tails of his line's success last year. It's a shame.
i think Phaneuf has missed the net more than Mac lol

The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 09:53 PM
dimi78

Quote:
Originally Posted by -DeMo- View Post
Mac not a goal scorer, he wasn't last year either barely making the 20 goal mark I think his drop off in points has something to do with Grabo and Kulemin not putting up the same goals. Mac has 12 goals in 40 games which is a 24 goal pace(better then last year) but his assist are way down.
Your right and part of the reason.... the main reason the trio has fallen is due to MacArthur trying to make plays he's not capable of which he didn't do last year. In short MacArthur is trying to do too much IMO it's because he's feeling the heat from Kadri and is trying to show he's just as skilled and all he does now is turn pucks over with blind passes to the slot or right to the opponents stick which is why that line hasn't played well together this year. Last year he played off of Grabo and Kulemin and kept it simple most of his assists weren't from him making plays rather just giving it to Grabo where he made the play that resulted in a goal from either Grabo himself or Grabo makes a play to Kulemin.

kulemin isn't playing any different from last year just the puck isn't going in for him at the moment. Kulemin is having a snake bitten year offensively MacArthur is playing like the way he always had with competition for jobs that's why both Atlanta and Buffalo gave up on him..... the Leafs should follow suit and get a 2nd round pick + the cap space in moving him making Kadri a full time top 6 forward for this team moving forward.

dimi78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 08:23 AM
leafspring*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi78 View Post
Your right and part of the reason.... the main reason the trio has fallen is due to MacArthur trying to make plays he's not capable of which he didn't do last year. In short MacArthur is trying to do too much IMO it's because he's feeling the heat from Kadri and is trying to show he's just as skilled and all he does now is turn pucks over with blind passes to the slot or right to the opponents stick which is why that line hasn't played well together this year. Last year he played off of Grabo and Kulemin and kept it simple most of his assists weren't from him making plays rather just giving it to Grabo where he made the play that resulted in a goal from either Grabo himself or Grabo makes a play to Kulemin.

kulemin isn't playing any different from last year just the puck isn't going in for him at the moment. Kulemin is having a snake bitten year offensively MacArthur is playing like the way he always had with competition for jobs that's why both Atlanta and Buffalo gave up on him..... the Leafs should follow suit and get a 2nd round pick + the cap space in moving him making Kadri a full time top 6 forward for this team moving forward.
Way off because, its simply chemistry,and hard work with Grabovski being the main element of skill that makes them all successful. However, they as a trio have all the needed ingredients of a dominating line when they keep it simple. Trading a cap friendly 20-25 goal player for a second might be reasonable to you ,but its just poor thinking to me.

leafspring* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 08:47 AM
MattVenca

Not sure if this has already been addressed, but Clarke is on pace for 25 goals in 75GP. He had 21G in 82GP last year. He's also a +2 so far this year while he was a -3 last year. In fact this is the first year he's a +plus player since he became a full-time NHLer.
He already has the same number of GWG (3) that he had all of last season.

I don't think this is a horrible season for him. He is a classic third liner playing on the Leafs second line.

MattVenca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 08:53 AM
Morguee
That's Mind-boggling

Lombardi - Check, MacArthur - Check, Kulemin...Hey somebody needs to start a what the heck is up with Kulemin thread.

Morguee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 09:15 AM
Drew311
Play Me

Consider that Kulemin goes from scoring 30 goals to 10 (probably what he'll finish with). Of course this is going to affect MacArthur's assist total. The guy still has 14 goals, although these have been the streakiest 14 goals i've even seen. 3.25 million is a reasonable price to pay for a 20 - 25 goal guy. He just needs to step up his all around play to become more of a factor.

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 09:25 AM
BonMorrison
Sexy Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Consider that Kulemin goes from scoring 30 goals to 10 (probably what he'll finish with). Of course this is going to affect MacArthur's assist total. The guy still has 14 goals, although these have been the streakiest 14 goals i've even seen. 3.25 million is a reasonable price to pay for a 20 - 25 goal guy. He just needs to step up his all around play to become more of a factor.
Very true.

If Kulemin was scoring steadily and MacArthur was less streaky, Grabovski would probably have atleast 10 more assists on the year. Same with MacArthur.

BonMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 01:21 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

Clarke MacArthur

Age 26: 42gms, 14gls, 24pts, 14:37 (82gms, 27gls, 47pts)
Age 25: 82gms, 21gls, 62pts, 17:07 (82gms, 21gls, 62pts)
Age 24: 81gms, 16gls, 35pts, 14:42 (82gms, 16gls, 36pts)
Age 23: 71gms, 17gls, 31pts, 13:50 (82gms, 20gls, 36pts)
Age 22: 37gms, 8gls, 15pts, 14:34 (82gms, 18gls, 33pts)
Age 21: 19gms, 3gls, 7pts, 8:54 (82gms, 13gls, 30pts)

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 01:38 PM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Putting the stat sheet aside, MacArthur brings very little to the table if he is not potting goals. Not exactly a defensive dynamo or tough to play against is he?

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 01:44 PM
BonMorrison
Sexy Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
Clarke MacArthur

Age 26: 42gms, 14gls, 24pts, 14:37 (82gms, 27gls, 47pts)
Age 25: 82gms, 21gls, 62pts, 17:07 (82gms, 21gls, 62pts)
Age 24: 81gms, 16gls, 35pts, 14:42 (82gms, 16gls, 36pts)
Age 23: 71gms, 17gls, 31pts, 13:50 (82gms, 20gls, 36pts)
Age 22: 37gms, 8gls, 15pts, 14:34 (82gms, 18gls, 33pts)
Age 21: 19gms, 3gls, 7pts, 8:54 (82gms, 13gls, 30pts)
So he's steadily gotten better over the year and had a career year last year. We've seen him at his best - at normalcy, he's a 45 - 50 point winger.

Old
01-25-2012, 03:13 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
Putting the stat sheet aside, MacArthur brings very little to the table if he is not potting goals. Not exactly a defensive dynamo or tough to play against is he?
And that is exactly the problem this team has with CMac.

CMac can be a good player on a bad team but on a good team doesn't really have a role much like Poni or Hagman once were for us. He is getting squeezed out of a job as this team continues to improve its depth. And certainly doesn't have a good cap hit.

He doesn't play the penalty kill.

For the powerplay he is absolutely behind Kessel, Lupul, Connolly and Grabo as options. With Bozak being somewhat around his level. And Kadri very quickly showing with regularity that he is a better option. So he is number 6 or 7 on that priority list.

5 on 5 he doesn't play a physical game and even when he does hit they aren't impactful hits. Defensively he isn't very good especially along the wall and he doesn't score enough to make up for these shortcomings. His 5 on 5scoring pace isn't much better than Frattin or Crabb this year.

He is simply a tweener. As this team continues to get better he won't have a role and will be with another team by next season or definitely the season after OR will have to adjust his role so he is more of a defensive player and take a significant paycut.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 03:21 PM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Production has been streaky, but it's there.

My biggest issue with him has been his lack of physical play. He's played incredibly soft in comparison to last year, at least in my eyes.

I think what made him valuable was his ability to score, and play a tough game. It was a nice compliment on Grabovski's line. They were able to score in a variety of ways.

Now that one part of his game has seemed to disappear, he's falling into that category that we are trying to upgrade - soft skilled forwards.

01-29-2012, 12:26 PM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
A poster on this board had a thread earlier saying that they met Kulemin in person and asked him about his struggles this season, and he admitted that he was still having trouble dealing with the loss of Korolev. You can see when he plays, his heart isn't fully there.

I love it when keyboard warriors act tough and say to move on so easily. It's not like that, and many people handle situations differently. Not everyone is the same, some people use it as motivation or dedication, others struggle, it happens.

Not everyone is the same you incoherent. We are not programmed robots.

Not necessarily. It can affect concentration greatly, sometimes you try and give it all but it just doesn't work, you go into a slump, it happens.

I can't believe how dense some ****ing people here are, learn to separate a game and life.

Have you forgotten Espen Knutsen? Solid player, even picked for an All-Star game once, but in one game his shot deflected into the stands and killed a girl. After the incident his point totals deteriorated and even though he was still trying he just couldn't succeed, it took a toll on his mind. It's different for every player. Craig MacTavish killed a girl in a DUI incident, which is much worse because he could've controlled that situation, yet he came back and played some solid hockey for the Oilers. Different people react differently to these situations.
I could not agree with you more, Well done sir.

I would like to add one thing tho and it's regarding his goal totals, i never saw Kuli with the slickest set of hands around the net, imo, his goal style is more of the (pounce on a opportunity down low) style of goal, more of a stuffer and throw it at the net type of goal scorer or even direct the perfect pass in type, but not a sniper.

Given his distractions and given that, that style depends a lot on bounces in front and where skates/sticks and the tender are when he puts it on net all can lend to seasons of ups and downs, kinda like Lucic. Add in Macs poor season and those missing easy redirect, perfect pass goals that Mac set up last year and you have what you have now.

Mac is the one that really concerns me , maybe Atlanta knew something about his personality that worried them? Like the type of player that would let off the gas once they got their first solid multi million dollar contract.

Mac does not have the skill set to be able to let off one ounce and i believe he has.

Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 12:48 PM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
Back on topic - Can't remember where I heard it (whether it was Sportsnet or Satellite Hotstove on CBC), but I recall it being mentioned or implied that teams were inquiring to the Maple Leafs about the availability of Mac? If there is interest left, and Burke cannot package to get a big deal done, and it's determined that this guy is a one-season wonder, do you move him?

On the surface - a 26 year old, 60+ point potential guy is certainly worth keeping but on that cap hit and the lack of production, added along with the fact that we need to save some salary heading into this off-season, is Clarke not the perfect and logical choice to be traded away from this team?
I'd buy em the bus ticket outa town.

Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 04:45 AM
darrylsittler27

Not one free agent has panned out.

There has to be a lesson there.Not a single free agent has been worth a fraction of what we threw at them.Komi,MaC,Armstrong,Connolly,Dupuis and even Beauchmin didnt play that well here.Lesson:Only spend money on bonafide stars or they will wilt in Toronto under the expectations the higher salary puts upon them.Throwing money at a guy because you can,doesnt work.NYR does the same thing,never works.IF they arent a star dont pay them.

darrylsittler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 09:41 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

He's back and playing inspirational hockey. He would have had another winning goal last night if it weren't for a lucky deflection.

Leafs need to keep him.

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 09:50 AM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylsittler27 View Post
There has to be a lesson there.Not a single free agent has been worth a fraction of what we threw at them.Komi,MaC,Armstrong,Connolly,Dupuis and even Beauchmin didnt play that well here.Lesson:Only spend money on bonafide stars or they will wilt in Toronto under the expectations the higher salary puts upon them.Throwing money at a guy because you can,doesnt work.NYR does the same thing,never works.IF they arent a star dont pay them.
Lol, Macarthur's 62 point season wasn't worth the $1 million he was being paid. Okay. Keep smoking.

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 09:51 AM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

Clarke is definitely the kind of guy you want to keep in the organization. A strong finish to the season will quash his decriers.

The Grabovski line last year started strong, but slumped heavily between November and September, then turned on the jets in January. I think we're seeing that happen again. Grabovski is on fire and MacArthur has been playing much better as well.

Finding the right LW to keep those two playing strong will be key. If it's not Kulemin is it Kadri? Is it Frattin? Is it Crabb? Not sure but of the 3 I mentioned I would go with Frattin. He is playing the way Kulemin did the last two seasons. A blue on the ice creating pressure and opportunities, and space for Grabovski and MacArthur.

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 09:55 AM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansfield View Post
Lol, Macarthur's 62 point season wasn't worth the $1 million he was being paid. Okay. Keep smoking.
Apparantly neither was Dupuis' league minimum, two-way contract.

We've also ignored Bozak, a free agents signing, and Gustavsson, a free agent signing.

How can you argue Beauch's contract, after we turned him into Jake Gardiner and All-Star Joffrey Lupul, and then Anaheim recently extended him for .3 mill less than what we agreed to pay him when he was 3 years younger.

topched is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 09:57 AM
BonMorrison
Sexy Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigobuffalo View Post
Finding the right LW to keep those two playing strong will be key. If it's not Kulemin is it Kadri? Is it Frattin? Is it Crabb? Not sure but of the 3 I mentioned I would go with Frattin. He is playing the way Kulemin did the last two seasons. A blue on the ice creating pressure and opportunities, and space for Grabovski and MacArthur.
You mean RW - Clarke plays the left side and Kulemin has pretty much played RW all season now.

People gotta give more credit to Kulie though, he is the reason why we got two of the four goals last night. He massively screened Fleury on that second Grabovski goal and caused the turnover that led to the MacArthur goal.

Old
02-01-2012, 10:02 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
I think a big reason Clarke has been slumping is that Kulemin looks like he has hands of stone out there this year.. He really seems to be struggling with putting the puck in the net and holding onto the puck.

Kulemin really seemed to have great hands last year, and was really finding the net with all the deflections, etc.. He's missed a few lately that I think last year he would've scored and this is really hurting MacArthur's numbers.

DirtyDion03 is offline   Reply With Quote