HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

10,000 Pt XXV |if we spend most of the thread talking about 1 thing, is it really OT?

Closed Thread

Old
02-10-2012, 11:38 AM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistfullofbeer View Post
Bleh. Being in control is over-rated. You have too think too much and work too hard ..
I dunno, it feel really empowering. And because all my previous shots at hooking up with someone have failed miserably I'm doing the opposite of what I typically do which is be a pushover *****.

Old
02-10-2012, 12:01 PM
SoupyFIN
#character

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonticus View Post
How cold is it outside??
Too cold that I would have beer popsicles in no time.

I won't need beer for a few days though, it's just nice to have some a lot of cold beer in case of sudden desire to drink it.

Well, atleast my younger bro won't be stealing them this time when I'm gone for a day.

Old
02-10-2012, 12:31 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 141
If you guys listen to Marek/Wyshynski's radio show/podcast .. I'll be on it today for game show friday. Hopefully, I don't embarrass the Sharks community with my answers.

Old
02-10-2012, 01:10 PM
skilks
This is nightmare

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
If you guys listen to Marek/Wyshynski's radio show/podcast .. I'll be on it today for game show friday. Hopefully, I don't embarrass the Sharks community with my answers.
That's awesome! I'll listen to it live today! Congrats!

Old
02-10-2012, 01:17 PM
slocal
Global Moderator
It stinks!

Quote:

I've never heard their show before. Is there a link to it on Puck Daddy? I wanna cheer/jeer you on!

"there's nothing good about dubstep." - The Nemesis
Old
02-10-2012, 01:20 PM
magic school bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by slocal View Post
I've never heard their show before. Is there a link to it on Puck Daddy? I wanna cheer/jeer you on!
Wysh usually posts a link to the live stream on his twitter account. it might pop up on puck daddy around (11:30am pacific) - that's when the show starts, i believe.

Old
02-10-2012, 01:25 PM
slocal
Global Moderator
It stinks!

Quote:
Wysh usually posts a link to the live stream on his twitter account. it might pop up on puck daddy around (11:30am pacific) - that's when the show starts, i believe.
I will be watching is twitter with interest then. Thanks

Old
02-10-2012, 01:26 PM
SoupyFIN
#character

vCash: 0
My 12 year old bro giving me advice on girls. My life is now complete.

I'm gonna hang him if he comes asking for the 10 000th time that if I'm already going and can he use my ps3.

Old
02-10-2012, 01:32 PM
magic school bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilk View Post
That's awesome! I'll listen to it live today! Congrats!
Quote:
Thanks, guys. I'll try my best.

Old
02-10-2012, 01:55 PM
skilks
This is nightmare

Quote:
Live stream starts at 11. The game is usually at the end of the show, but it's a great hockey talk show.

Old
02-10-2012, 02:43 PM
HOOCH2173
That HOOCH is Crazy!

Quote:
Thanks, guys. I'll try my best.
Ask Wysh why is he such a Ducks Homer! HAR HAR!

Old
02-10-2012, 02:46 PM
skilks
This is nightmare

The skates were white!

Old
02-10-2012, 02:52 PM
skilks
This is nightmare

Congrats dude. That book is a good read.

Old
02-10-2012, 02:59 PM
magic school bus

Haha thanks for listening, guys. I won a book.

Old
02-10-2012, 03:02 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

Did you introduce yourself as magic school bus?

Old
02-10-2012, 03:06 PM
magic school bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Blanca View Post
Did you introduce yourself as magic school bus?
no, but i did get to plug my twitter. they called me by my real name on the show.

Old
02-10-2012, 03:21 PM
WantonAbandon

Read this on CSN. Should be interesting Nader is quite the force.

Ralph Nader asks Gary Bettman to ban fighting
February 7, 2012, 11:48 am
4 COMMENTS

Recommend

Twitter

Email

Print Article

Ralph Nader: "Fighting in hockey can no longer be a long-debated issue pitting those who find it barbaric and unsportsmanlike and those who argue that it’s an integral part of the fabric of the game." (AP)
Fighting in hockey is ...
Do you agree with Ralph Nader that fighting in hockey needs to be eliminated, or is it part of the 'fabric of the game?'
: A) I Agree with Nader -- no place for fighting
: B) Fighting is part of the game and should stay

staff-csnca-csnba.png

Ralph Nader, famed consumer advocate, political activist and several-time presidential candidate, has fired off an open letter to NHL commissioner Gary Bettman.

The topic?

Head injuries, and why the NHL isn't doing more to prevent them by banning fighting in the sport.

"Fighting in hockey can no longer be a long-debated issue pitting those who find it barbaric and unsportsmanlike and those who argue that it’s an integral part of the fabric of the game. The growing mound of research on sports concussions and brain injuries has taken the fighting issue to an entirely different level. We’re talking about short-and-long-term damage to the brain, the very foundation of who we are as people."

Nader posted his letter on his new website dedicated to sports called "League of Fans," and describes the site this way:

"League of Fans is a sports reform project founded by Ralph Nader to encourage social & civic responsibility in sports industry & culture."

Nader goes on in his letter to Bettman to point out careers which have been shortened, and untimely deaths to former players that could be attributed to to head injuries:

"Repeated head trauma has shortened the careers of Pat LaFontaine, Eric Lindros, and Keith Primeau. Currently, concussions are threatening the careers of Pittsburgh Penguin’s superstar Sidney Crosby and the Philadelphia Flyers’ Chris Pronger. Three enforcers, Derek Boogard, Rick Rypien, and Wade Belak, whose primary job was to protect teammates by throwing fists at the heads of opponents, have died in the past year. It’s certainly possible the brain trauma they received on the ice from their fellow combatants played a significant role in their deaths."

You can read Nader's full letter asking NHL commissioner Gary Bettman to ban fighting on League of Fans here.

Read more: Ralph Nader asks Gary Bettman to ban fighting
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story

Old
02-10-2012, 03:25 PM
WantonAbandon

Oh what the heck here is Nader's full letter

An Open Letter to NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman: It’s Time to Ban Fighting
By League of Fans On February 6, 2012 · Leave a Comment

0digg

EmailShare
Sharebar

Dear Mr. Bettman:

It’s time to act. The National Hockey League must take immediate steps to ban fighting and outlaw all blows to the head. And you, Mr. Bettman, as league commissioner, must lead the way.

Fighting in hockey can no longer be a long-debated issue pitting those who find it barbaric and unsportsmanlike and those who argue that it’s an integral part of the fabric of the game. The growing mound of research on sports concussions and brain injuries has taken the fighting issue to an entirely different level. We’re talking about short-and-long-term damage to the brain, the very foundation of who we are as people.

Commissioner Bettman, it’s very possible that concussions and degenerative brain disease caused by blows to the head — such as chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) — will be the biggest issue in sports in the coming decade. Continuing to downplay what we know about sports-based brain injuries, while simultaneously supporting fighting as an elemental aspect of theNHLgame, is simply irresponsible.

You are right on one point: science has yet to provide us with all the answers when it comes to head trauma and concussions. But we do know that concussions are a big problem and we all intuitively know that a fist swung against a skull at a high rate of speed is not good for the brain inside that skull.

Repeated head trauma has shortened the careers of Pat LaFontaine, Eric Lindros, and Keith Primeau. Currently, concussions are threatening the careers of Pittsburgh Penguins’ superstar Sidney Crosby and the Philadelphia Flyers’ Chris Pronger. Three enforcers, Derek Boogard, Rick Rypien, and Wade Belak, whose primary job was to protect teammates by throwing fists at the heads of opponents, have died in the past year. It’s certainly possible the brain trauma they received on the ice from their fellow combatants played a significant role in their deaths.

Your league has created a department of player safety. That’s well and good. But a quick question: How can you continue to allow fighting, in which the primary target is the head of your opponent, and seriously make the argument that you’re doing all you can to make player safety a priority?

You don’t have to be a pioneer in this area Mr. Bettman. The International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF) already bans fighting and all blows to the head. So does the Ontario Hockey League (OHL), the NCAA, and other hockey organizations. The Mayo Clinic Sports Medicine Center Ice Hockey Summit recommended prohibiting fighting and all contact to the head at every level of the game, including theNHL, a little more than a year ago.

While there are certainly many potential rule changes that need to be carefully examined to make sure they result in a safer game, banning fighting isn’t one of them. It’s clear fighting is not a safe policy.

Mr. Bettman, you’re the leader of the most influential hockey organization in the world. As such, you have the responsibility to make hockey as safe as possible for the players in theNHL. You also have the moral responsibility to be a good sports citizen and do what you can to make hockey all the way down to the youth level as safe as possible. There are nearly 1 million youth hockey players in theUnited StatesandCanada. Like it or not, the actions you take — or don’t take — impact these young hockey players, either positively or negatively.

According to an analysis of hockey-related concussions written by Dr. Syd Johnson of Dalhousie University, and published in the Canadian Medical Association Journal last year, one study found that up to 25% of all players in junior hockey leagues sustain concussions in any given season.

“The way hockey is played by the professionals is imitated in junior hockey,” wrote Johnson in the journal article. “This creates a vicious cycle in which young athletes learn to play in a way that inevitably causes injury and in turn influences the next generation of players. It’s time to break that cycle and teach youths to play in a way that emphasizes skill and protects their brains, so they’ll be prepared to do the same thing when they grow up.”

Mr. Bettman, your position as commissioner of theNHLdemands that you confront this issue head on and heed the call for policy change when it comes to fighting. There isn’t a single thing you can do that will communicate your seriousness about protecting our hockey players’ brains – at all levels — than immediately banning fighting and all blows to the head in theNHL.

On behalf of hockey players everywhere – and their families — here’s hoping you have the strength and courage to take this decisive step.

Sincerely,

Ralph Nader, Founder, League of Fans

Ken Reed, Sports Policy Director, League of Fans

Old
02-10-2012, 03:48 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
My 12 year old bro giving me advice on girls. My life is now complete.

I'm gonna hang him if he comes asking for the 10 000th time that if I'm already going and can he use my ps3.
He clearly wants you out with girls 24/7 so he can claim the PS3 for himself.

Old
02-10-2012, 03:58 PM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

wrong thread..

Old
02-10-2012, 04:40 PM
Mafoofoo

Skyrim just deleted all of my saves.....300+ hours lost.

Old
02-10-2012, 04:42 PM
slocal
Global Moderator
It stinks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
Skyrim just deleted all of my saves.....300+ hours lost.
Noooooo!!! PS3, 360 or PC?

I thought I had it bad when I had to go from lvl 40 to 32 because I got stuck at Japhet's Folly. I now consider myself lucky in light of your misfortune

Old
02-10-2012, 04:46 PM
Mafoofoo

360 so there's no way to recover saves. Also just to be an ******* the game left one save....an autosave from 5 min in.

Level 67 with thieves guild, companions, main story, college, liberation of skyrim and almost done with dark brotherhood, 14 daedric artifacts, 99k gold, tons of weapons, all houses, ----> Level 1 with nothing.

I don't even want to play this anymore.

Old
02-10-2012, 04:59 PM
slocal
Global Moderator
It stinks!

I don't blame you for not wanting to play again, at least for a while. After my little mishap I'm only able to play for like 30min at a time before I get sick of the game. Totally killed the buzz.

Old
02-10-2012, 05:02 PM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

When I built my new computer I forgot to put my skyrim save on it so starting a new doesn't seem like fun for me either. I wouldn't want to build the same type of character either, but melee is like the only thing that interests me in Skyrim.

Which is weird because typically in RPGs I will play casters almost exclusively. I just don't like the spell system in Skyrim all that much.

Closed Thread