HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Next Two Games

Old
01-19-2012, 08:37 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
The Next Two Games

We have two tough games coming up this weekend. NJ Saturday and Boston on Sunday.

If we come out of this weekend losing both of those game, I have a feeling that we could see some sort of shakeup during the all star break when GM's have time on their hands to negotiate. Trade, Personnel Decision, Management Change you name it I could see something happen.

If we can come out of this weekend and miraculously get 4 points, It will be huge for this team. It will be our first back to back wins in a while against quality opponents and really give us some momentum heading into the break.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:38 PM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

vCash: 500
We won't beat Boston anyway

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:42 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Honestly, I think the best way for us to beat Boston is to all throw a curve ball in the sense of line changes. Teams are starting to know how to deal with our current lines and they should be changed, but not drastically.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:46 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

they don't have the personnel to compete at a consistently high level

trades won't change that unless they trade youth

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:02 PM
Totally Radivojevic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
they don't have the personnel to compete at a consistently high level

trades won't change that unless they trade youth
How can you make that claim AND routinely bash Laviolette?

Totally Radivojevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:09 PM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
I don't expect us to beat boston, I am just hoping we keep it close and don't get blown away again.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:11 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dink the Clown View Post
How can you make that claim AND routinely bash Laviolette?
I don't routinely bash Laviolette.

Old
01-19-2012, 09:30 PM
Totally Radivojevic

Quote:
You just made a thread about his coaching on top of criticizing him every chance you get in GDTs. If they don't have the personnel to compete at a high level like you stated, then that's some pretty good coaching to be four points out of first in the east.

Totally Radivojevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:48 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

I agree with OP, but I don't think we should trade anyone on this team. Move a pick or two, and/or some mid-level prospects around and get Beauch or Gleason. They're both more than sufficient #3's at least. They aren't getting the respect they deserve on these boards because they aren't Weber or Suter. But both are very good defensemen and would fit in very well in this city, I wouldn't move any of our elite crop of young forwards.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:54 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
I agree with OP, but I don't think we should trade anyone on this team. Move a pick or two, and/or some mid-level prospects around and get Beauch or Gleason. They're both more than sufficient #3's at least. They aren't getting the respect they deserve on these boards because they aren't Weber or Suter. But both are very good defensemen and would fit in very well in this city, I wouldn't move any of our elite crop of young forwards.
Give me Beauch any day of the week, He is my favorite player to never wear the orange and Black.

But i think alot of our defensive lapses come from our forwards. Giroux and Jags clearly were not paying attention to Moulson on that first goal. That seems to be the theme of late with that line to be honest.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:54 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Really?

01-19-2012, 11:02 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Really?
And the sky isn't blue

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 11:19 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
I could see them making a trade either way for a D.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 06:16 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dink the Clown View Post
You just made a thread about his coaching on top of criticizing him every chance you get in GDTs.
I don't criticize him every chance I get.

Old
01-20-2012, 06:41 AM
dats81

We can't matchup with Boston right now.
A point out of the NJ game should be the target.

Homer must have realized by now that we are not gonna make it past round1 in the playoffs without a solid addition to the blue line. It seems to me that they are not willing to move a roster player and hope to get something for picks at the deadline.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 06:57 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
Homer must have realized by now that we are not gonna make it past round1 in the playoffs without a solid addition to the blue line. It seems to me that they are not willing to move a roster player and hope to get something for picks at the deadline.
His options are quite limited.

To get a solid blueliner will require trading youth. I doubt he will do that.

Old
01-20-2012, 06:59 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

If this team is going to do anything this year, they're gonna need a defenseman who can quarterback the PP.

Look at these PP stats:

Player---GP---PPTOI---PPP
Timonen 45---174:10---14
Carle 45---134:36---6
Meszaros 45---68:34---1
Pronger 13---51:55---8

That pretty much says it all. Pronger has outscored Mez and Carle on the PP in 13 games and <25% of the playing time. The Flyers aren't going anywhere in the playoffs if that trend continues.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 07:42 AM
RespectTheCouts
He Eats Souls

I'm hoping for a point at least out of the NJ game, and a great effort and not a blow out win against Boston, and for Homer to realize we need a Dman like 2 weeks ago

RespectTheCouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 07:59 AM
Xegiie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
I don't expect us to beat boston, I am just hoping we keep it close and don't get blown away again.
pretty much that, im worried we gonna get beated a lot, im still hoping we not gonna let that happen tho. 2-3 would be ok with me, win would be wounderful and we would have to score some lucky goals.

Xegiie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 08:01 AM
Xegiie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
If this team is going to do anything this year, they're gonna need a defenseman who can quarterback the PP.

Look at these PP stats:

Player---GP---PPTOI---PPP
Timonen 45---174:10---14
Carle 45---134:36---6
Meszaros 45---68:34---1
Pronger 13---51:55---8

That pretty much says it all. Pronger has outscored Mez and Carle on the PP in 13 games and <25% of the playing time. The Flyers aren't going anywhere in the playoffs if that trend continues.
WOW! i knew prongers impact on PP was felt, but after his long time absence i completely forgot out PP went to hell with pronger out(
you could clearly see our PP was lost without pronger and it still is kinda trash

Xegiie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 08:06 AM
dats81

Quote:
His options are quite limited.

To get a solid blueliner will require trading youth. I doubt he will do that.
I appreciate Homer showing some patience for once instead of going straight after the player he covets without evaluating the consequences.

Amongst the teams in the hunt for a playoff spot almost everybody is looking for help either on the blue line or up front, or both. However, the number of soon to become UFAs is limited. Especially if you subtract those who are too old|too young|injured|not skilled enough|mismatch of styles of play....or who simply plan to re-sign with their current teams.

I can imagine half a dozen of franchises putting in an offer for a guy like Gleason which will inflate the price. The number of teams offering quality packages for a player who is stilled signed (thinking of L. Schenn) will be significantly lower, which may pay off in the end.

Last edited by dats81: 01-20-2012 at 08:29 AM.
dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 08:35 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I love the responses on this board. 5th place in the east (2 points out of 4th with 4 games in hand on the Sens...) and the team was on top of the division and conference for a pretty good chunk of the season and suddenly we don't have the personnel to compete consistently. This is my favorite part of HF Boards. Win a couple, team is unstoppable OMG I can't believe how awesome they are. Team loses a couple, nothing can help this team is terrible are you kidding me they won't win another game ever.

While these next two games are obviously big, win or lose both of them, I don't think it changes the direction this team is going. Trades will be made regardless and Lavy isn't going anywhere regardless.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 08:48 AM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I love the responses on this board. 5th place in the east (2 points out of 4th with 4 games in hand on the Sens...) and the team was on top of the division and conference for a pretty good chunk of the season and suddenly we don't have the personnel to compete consistently. This is my favorite part of HF Boards. Win a couple, team is unstoppable OMG I can't believe how awesome they are. Team loses a couple, nothing can help this team is terrible are you kidding me they won't win another game ever.

While these next two games are obviously big, win or lose both of them, I don't think it changes the direction this team is going. Trades will be made regardless and Lavy isn't going anywhere regardless.
I think most of us understand that regular season does not = playoffs (our real goal being the cup). Winning in the regular season doesn't mean all that much (see caps the last few seasons) as long as you make the playoffs.

As we are playing now, where 5 goals hasn't even been enough, will not win you many playoff games where teams tighten up and goals are hard to come by. What we are afraid of is becoming last season's capitals team.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 08:52 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
I appreciate Homer showing some patience for once instead of going straight after the player he covets without evaluating the consequences.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
and suddenly we don't have the personnel to compete consistently.
The most likely notable occurrence over the next 30 games is that the team's high performing rookies hit their respective walls, as rookies are wont to do, and the Flyers suffer dire consequences as a result. Add in Jagr's age and the wear and tear on Timonen and the prospective picture for March and April is not a lovely one.

More importantly, if one believes the aforementioned player performance degradation to be likely, then one cannot believe that trading significant futures for a blueliner will result in anything more than an extra game or two won in the early rounds.

So I agree Dats, patience is a virtue here.

And DFF it ain't "suddenly", it's a gradual process wherein rookies wear down and older player do the same.

Old
01-20-2012, 08:57 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
I don't criticize him every chance I get.
Well obviously that's because you have to pause to breathe every once in a while.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote