HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-12 All Purpose Kings Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread III

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-29-2012, 03:13 PM
  #526
KingsFan7824
Registered User
 
KingsFan7824's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 5,011
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Almost everyone liked it, actually.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...illie+mitchell

I think his staying or not staying will come down to how good the team looks on the morning of July 2nd.
As long as Mitchell stays healthy, July 2nd will probably be too late this time around.

It'll come down to the Kings willingness to give him at least as much money as he's making now, for probably at least the next few seasons, if not the next 3. Anything less than that, and he's gone. He may sign somewhere else for less, like Handzus did, but it would be shocking if he took a pay cut to stay with the Kings.

KingsFan7824 is offline  
Old
01-29-2012, 05:16 PM
  #527
johnjm22
16,005
 
johnjm22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Barstow, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan7824 View Post
As long as Mitchell stays healthy, July 2nd will probably be too late this time around.

It'll come down to the Kings willingness to give him at least as much money as he's making now, for probably at least the next few seasons, if not the next 3. Anything less than that, and he's gone. He may sign somewhere else for less, like Handzus did, but it would be shocking if he took a pay cut to stay with the Kings.
I think Willie will be more interested in years, than the annual salary.

For example, he'd probably rather have 3 years at 3M per, than 2 years at 3.5 per.

He wants to win a cup though, and I think he'd be willing to take a discount if he's going to a contender. Detroit, Vancouver, Chicago or maybe San Jose all seem like possible destinations.

johnjm22 is offline  
Old
01-29-2012, 06:55 PM
  #528
Reaper45
Registered User
 
Reaper45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 31,398
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
I think Mitchell signs in Detroit, Stuart signs in L.A.

Reaper45 is offline  
Old
01-29-2012, 07:00 PM
  #529
cheap77
Go Kings!
 
cheap77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 2,137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan7824 View Post
As long as Mitchell stays healthy, July 2nd will probably be too late this time around.

It'll come down to the Kings willingness to give him at least as much money as he's making now, for probably at least the next few seasons, if not the next 3. Anything less than that, and he's gone. He may sign somewhere else for less, like Handzus did, but it would be shocking if he took a pay cut to stay with the Kings.
It all depends on the player. Maybe he likes it in LA and wants to stay. The money is probably big, but in the end it all comes down to what Mitchell wants.

cheap77 is offline  
Old
01-29-2012, 07:10 PM
  #530
Mattias
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,067
vCash: 500
I can really see Mitchell returning to Vancouver next year. He just loves it there.

Mattias is offline  
Old
01-29-2012, 07:11 PM
  #531
Holden Caulfield
Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic
 
Holden Caulfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
I think Mitchell signs in Detroit, Stuart signs in L.A.
Been there, done that. Pass on Stuart, IMO.

I think LA should be trying to resign Mitchell real hard, but I wouldn't pay anything more than he's making now at 3.5. He has made that exact amount over the past 6 years over two contracts, and while he is valuable and I love what he brings I fail to see what he has done to earn more than that. If that doesn't work, just role with a Doughty, Johnson, Scuderi, Voynov, Greene, Martinez top 6. If they can't bring back Mitchell for a reasonable price, tell JJ and DD it is time to step up and be that elite pairing they should be. If Mitchell resigns, deal Martinez.

Holden Caulfield is online now  
Old
01-29-2012, 07:22 PM
  #532
SFKingshomer
Registered User
 
SFKingshomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sioux Falls
Posts: 5,481
vCash: 500
Martinez won't be around much longer. I'd imagine DL isn't willing to give up on Hickey and will trade A-Mart to make room.

SFKingshomer is offline  
Old
01-29-2012, 07:25 PM
  #533
Holden Caulfield
Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic
 
Holden Caulfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
Martinez won't be around much longer. I'd imagine DL isn't willing to give up on Hickey and will trade A-Mart to make room.
Interesting thing with Hickey is that he is waiver-eligible next year. But TBH, I don't know how many guys if ANY have ever been claimed off waivers before playing a single NHL game, so that might be a non-issue.

Holden Caulfield is online now  
Old
01-29-2012, 07:47 PM
  #534
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 34,734
vCash: 500
If Mitchell walks as a free agent, I'm thinking the Kings look at the following names who may fill a similar role:

Hal Gill
Tim Gleason
Filip Kuba
Bryan Allen
Scott Hannan
Greg Zanon
Brett Clark

Looking at that list, I guess they would have to consider Stuart as an option if Mitchell signs elsewhere. I personally prefer Mitchell over anyone else, the team is familiar with him, they know what they're going to get from Mitchell every night and he's become a leader on and off the ice. Lock up him at 2 years, $6M.

Ziggy Stardust is offline  
Old
01-29-2012, 08:03 PM
  #535
Knight of the Realm
champs no more!
 
Knight of the Realm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Westeros
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 5,457
vCash: 500
Alot could depend on Hickey and Martinez as far as UFA defensemen go. IF they falter or are traded than I can see LA going after a UFA defenseman. Would like to see Mitchell stay tho. Tough decision with Hickey, LA will have to give him a shot eventually. If he truly is rounding out his defensive game it may be his best shot at making the Kings.

Knight of the Realm is offline  
Old
01-29-2012, 08:08 PM
  #536
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 34,734
vCash: 500
If Hickey makes the Kings, it'll be as a 7th defenseman first, then they'll go from there. I don't think they could slot him in for any top four position and the third pairing is occupied by Johnson and Greene. Hickey has to wait behind Martinez and Drewiske who are both under contract next season. He's the least of LA's concerns right now.

Ziggy Stardust is offline  
Old
01-29-2012, 08:09 PM
  #537
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Jason Lewis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,241
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Interesting thing with Hickey is that he is waiver-eligible next year. But TBH, I don't know how many guys if ANY have ever been claimed off waivers before playing a single NHL game, so that might be a non-issue.
IIRC Hickey won't be waiver eligible next year because he hasn't played the required amount of games in the NHL and is therefore waiver exempt.

I could be wrong though. But I think that's the case.


EDIT:

Yes Hickey will be waiver exempt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHL_sal...r_waivers_only


Since Hickey hasn't played in a single NHL game he won't be subject to waivers till at least 4 years of NHL action (an NHL season that counts towards this is a season in which they player has played over 11 games) or 160 games, whichever comes first.

Jason Lewis is offline  
Old
01-29-2012, 08:19 PM
  #538
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,027
vCash: 500
Hickey will have to pass through waivers to go to Manchester next season. Hickey signed at age 18 in 2007 and it will have been 5 years since he signed his contract.

Sam is offline  
Old
01-29-2012, 08:21 PM
  #539
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Jason Lewis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,241
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Hickey will have to pass through waivers to go to Manchester next season. Hickey signed at age 18 in 2007 and it will have been 5 years since he signed his contract.
But he hasn't played a single NHL game. A season that takes a year off eligibility is 11 games or over i believe.


Either way he has exemption from Re-entry. There is NO way he could get claimed by another team before playing a game with us pretty sure.

So if he gets called up he won't have to go through but if he gets sent down to Manchester he might.


I ****ing hate the cba. Reading it makes my eyes bleed.

EDIT: This is an interesting one I never knew

Quote:
Exempt from Re-Entry waivers ONLY for AHL "vets":

For forwards and defensemen, at least 320 games played in the NHL, AHL, and ECHL combined, AND
1. Who have not been on an NHL roster for at least 80 games over the past two seasons, AND
2. Who have not been on an NHL roster for at least 40 games in the previous season.

Jason Lewis is offline  
Old
01-29-2012, 08:30 PM
  #540
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,027
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
But he hasn't played a single NHL game. A season that takes a year off eligibility is 11 games or over i believe.
The wiki article is written poorly. Read the actual CBA Article 13.4. A player that signs at age 18 is exempt from waivers until either 160 NHL games or 5 seasons have passed, whichever comes first. If a player then plays 11 or more NHL games in his 18 or 19 year old season, then the player is only exempt for 2 more seasons after that.

In other words:

If the first season Hickey had played 11+ NHL games was in 2007-08, he would be waiver eligible starting in either 2010-11 or after 160 NHL games, whichever came first.
If the first season Hickey had played 11+ NHL games was in 2008-09, he would be waiver eligible starting in either 2011-12 or after 160 NHL games, whichever came first.
Otherwise (which is the actual case with Hickey), Hickey would be waiver eligible starting in either 2012-13 or after 160 NHL games, whichever came first.


Last edited by Sam: 01-29-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Sam is offline  
Old
01-29-2012, 08:38 PM
  #541
Holden Caulfield
Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic
 
Holden Caulfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
But he hasn't played a single NHL game. A season that takes a year off eligibility is 11 games or over i believe.


Either way he has exemption from Re-entry. There is NO way he could get claimed by another team before playing a game with us pretty sure.

So if he gets called up he won't have to go through but if he gets sent down to Manchester he might.


I ****ing hate the cba. Reading it makes my eyes bleed.

EDIT: This is an interesting one I never knew
Yah as Sam said, it is NHL games played OR years since signing his contract. The 11 games per season thing has absolutely nothing to do with waivers.

Over 9 games at 18-19 burns a year on the ELC.

Over 40 games at 18-19 burns a year towards UFA.

But waivers is total games played OR years since signing the the contract. Since Hickey signed at 18, he gets 5 years of waiver exempt. This is the last year he qualifies for that.

About the last point your brought up (the AHL vets rule) IIRC that rule was brought in in response to a legal challenge that the AHL players brought against the NHL for "capping" the salary of AHL players (via the re-entry rules). This was AHL vets can make more than 110K, while still having a chance to be recalled.

Holden Caulfield is online now  
Old
01-29-2012, 08:38 PM
  #542
Knight of the Realm
champs no more!
 
Knight of the Realm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Westeros
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 5,457
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
If Hickey makes the Kings, it'll be as a 7th defenseman first, then they'll go from there. I don't think they could slot him in for any top four position and the third pairing is occupied by Johnson and Greene. Hickey has to wait behind Martinez and Drewiske who are both under contract next season. He's the least of LA's concerns right now.
So the Kings wont look internally at all to fill the gap if there is one.

If none are traded.

Doughty Scuderi
Johnson Voynov
Greene Martinez
Drewiskie/Hickey/Muzzin=whoever wins it

I only see us going after a UFA defenseman if a) someone is dealt AND b) Mitchell doesn't resign

Knight of the Realm is offline  
Old
01-29-2012, 08:45 PM
  #543
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Jason Lewis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,241
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Yah as Sam said, it is NHL games played OR years since signing his contract. The 11 games per season thing has absolutely nothing to do with waivers.

Over 9 games at 18-19 burns a year on the ELC.

Over 40 games at 18-19 burns a year towards UFA.

But waivers is total games played OR years since signing the the contract. Since Hickey signed at 18, he gets 5 years of waiver exempt. This is the last year he qualifies for that.

About the last point your brought up (the AHL vets rule) IIRC that rule was brought in in response to a legal challenge that the AHL players brought against the NHL for "capping" the salary of AHL players (via the re-entry rules). This was AHL vets can make more than 110K, while still having a chance to be recalled.
Hmmm I thought it was 11 games that burns a year on ELC. Not 9. But in regards to the other stuff you might very well be right. I get confused on that document so easily.


That last clause though is really interesting, about the AHL vets. Makes sense when you think about it.


Let's get Chazz in here, he knows CBA and waiver stuff better then I do

Jason Lewis is offline  
Old
01-29-2012, 09:02 PM
  #544
Holden Caulfield
Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic
 
Holden Caulfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
Hmmm I thought it was 11 games that burns a year on ELC. Not 9. But in regards to the other stuff you might very well be right. I get confused on that document so easily.


That last clause though is really interesting, about the AHL vets. Makes sense when you think about it.


Let's get Chazz in here, he knows CBA and waiver stuff better then I do
Lol it's 10 games and over that burns a year off ELC, or as I put over 9 games. Which is why you will see many 18-19 year olds with 9 NHL gp in years, cause after that it burns the year off the ELC (but again, interestingly enough not off the UFA years (that is 40 games played). Damn CBA seems complicated for no damn reason )

Holden Caulfield is online now  
Old
01-29-2012, 09:59 PM
  #545
The Judge
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,628
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Lombardi shouldn't waste time trying to find a defenseman in free agency. This group works well together and the collective unit of six has been among the best defensive groups over the past few seasons. Lombardi should re-sign Willie Mitchell and I do expect him to be back with the Kings next season.

There are 31 other defensemen in the NHL who are as old or older than Willie Mitchell, so another two-year extension may be well deserved for him. He's shown no signs of slowing down and I think he's really helping Voynov make the transition to the NHL.
I agree. Defense is fine.

Offense is the problem at Wing.

The Judge is offline  
Old
01-29-2012, 10:06 PM
  #546
The Tikkanen
Pest
 
The Tikkanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Yorba Linda
Country: United States
Posts: 6,643
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Judge View Post
I agree. Defense is fine.

Offense is the problem at Wing.
Agreed. Let the pipeline fill the gap, if they crap out it isn't that hard to find a stay at home dman. Focus the money on a gifted, dynamic winger-no more bridge free agents!

The Tikkanen is offline  
Old
01-29-2012, 10:11 PM
  #547
bobafettish*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,961
vCash: 500
wing isn't the problem, system is.

bobafettish* is offline  
Old
01-29-2012, 10:14 PM
  #548
sjmay*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,732
vCash: 500
If Mitchell leaves, I think you see a fight between Muzzin, Hickey, and Martinez, and everyone moves up a notch.

sjmay* is offline  
Old
01-29-2012, 10:14 PM
  #549
sjmay*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
wing isn't the problem, system is.
Same system that had Williams, Kopitar, Brown and Smyth all score over 20 or more goals?

sjmay* is offline  
Old
01-29-2012, 10:16 PM
  #550
Shellz
Registered User
 
Shellz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: California
Posts: 17,325
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Same system that had Williams, Kopitar, Brown and Smyth all score over 20 or more goals?
Yeah, and they're even that good.


Last edited by Shellz: 01-29-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Shellz is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:13 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.