HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

2011-12 All Purpose Kings Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread III

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2012, 08:27 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

vCash: 500
I dunno this is going to be a make-or-break move if a trade for Carter happens.

Dean may be better off waiting to see what happens with Parise. I still would not be opposed to a deal where we give up a young defenseman that can't crack the Kings' lineup for a young forward that is in a similar situation with another team.

My darkhorse is still Grabner.

Old
02-01-2012, 08:42 PM
riseandfall9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventyx7 View Post
Has anyone here ever watched Jeff Carter play? He is not the game-changer that his 46 goals four years ago would suggest. 10 year contract, at over 5 million is not a the steal it appears to be. He is closer to Penner than to Parise. We have the assets and the potential cap room for a game-changer. I desperately hope DL doesn't settle and blow all that on Carter. Nash's cap hit is far worse and I still would rather go that direction, because I believe Nash can be a true difference maker.
I am not over the moon about Carter but there is NO WAY he is closer to Penner then Parise lol.

Penner - 131 Goals - 124 Assists - 255 Points - 8 Seasons

Carter - 191 Goals - 169 Assists - 360 Points - 7 Seasons

60 Goals and 1 Less season + He missed quite a bit of time for injuries too.

Parise - 179 Goals - 203 Assists - 382 Points - 7 Seasons

Old
02-01-2012, 08:48 PM
Seventyx7
Carter Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by riseandfall9 View Post
I am not over the moon about Carter but there is NO WAY he is closer to Penner then Parise lol.

Penner - 131 Goals - 124 Assists - 255 Points - 8 Seasons

Carter - 191 Goals - 169 Assists - 360 Points - 7 Seasons

60 Goals and 1 Less season + He missed quite a bit of time for injuries too.

Parise - 179 Goals - 203 Assists - 382 Points - 7 Seasons
I meant more in terms of floaty style of play. Clearly the goals are there. I just really don't like Carter's game overall, and believe that getting him will eliminate us from getting a true gamebreaker that can be ours. I don't believe Carter will be as effective as those (admittedly impressive) numbers say he should be. That's all. We can do better.

Old
02-01-2012, 08:50 PM
King Richards
Dry Island II

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
I dunno this is going to be a make-or-break move if a trade for Carter happens.

Dean may be better off waiting to see what happens with Parise. I still would not be opposed to a deal where we give up a young defenseman that can't crack the Kings' lineup for a young forward that is in a similar situation with another team.

My darkhorse is still Grabner.
We had a better shot with Brad Richards than we do with Parise. It would be foolish to stubbornly cling to assets so we can make another longshot pitch.

I don't disagree with you, though. If the price for Carter is too high, I wouldn't do it just to do it. In that case, I agree that it would be better to target a young forward with upside for one of our blue chip D assets.

Old
02-01-2012, 08:57 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richards View Post
We had a better shot with Brad Richards than we do with Parise. It would be foolish to stubbornly cling to assets so we can make another longshot pitch.

I don't disagree with you, though. If the price for Carter is too high, I wouldn't do it just to do it. In that case, I agree that it would be better to target a young forward with upside for one of our blue chip D assets.
I agree with you on Parise, which is exactly why Dean may have to make a move for Carter.

I guess my preferences in order for this season would be:

1) Get Carter for minimal price (Bernier +, but not Johnson or Voynov)

2) Get a player like Grabner for a young defenseman (Martinez or Hickey and a 3rd)

3) Add a vet forward for depth at minimal cost

Old
02-01-2012, 09:08 PM
riseandfall9

Quote:
I meant more in terms of floaty style of play. Clearly the goals are there. I just really don't like Carter's game overall, and believe that getting him will eliminate us from getting a true gamebreaker that can be ours. I don't believe Carter will be as effective as those (admittedly impressive) numbers say he should be. That's all. We can do better.
I am sure plenty of us agree with you. But who is the gamebreaker? Parise? other then that their is non out there that are going to be moved.

Old
02-01-2012, 09:09 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Here's a list of scouts present at tonight's Kings game, as per Helene Elliott:
Quote:
seating chart for Kings-CBJs lists scouts from Van, NYR, StL, Boston (3), Ducks, Nashville, Tor and Phx.
The Kings also had a scout in attendance at the Pens/Leafs game.

Old
02-01-2012, 09:12 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
I am sure plenty of us agree with you. But who is the gamebreaker? Parise? other then that their is non out there that are going to be moved.
Did people really expect Richards to be moved? I don't think any of us can predict which "game breakers" might become available for various reasons.

Old
02-01-2012, 09:16 PM
Seventyx7
Carter Enthusiast

Quote:
Nash, Parise, Vanek, Ryan, Iginla etc. are all longshots at best. I totally understand that. I would rather overpay to get one of them or overpay them cap-hit wise than trade a JJ or VV for 10 years of Carter. If no true star ever comes available, I would rather pay less for a guy like Grabner, Okposo, Mueller etc upside-type guy (just examples). I just feel like making our big move in the form of Carter would be settling.

Again I see Carter's good numbers, and concede he is a goal scorer. I just think he would be a mistake. If it ends up happening, I absolutely hope I am wrong.

Old
02-01-2012, 09:18 PM
riseandfall9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
Did people really expect Richards to be moved? I don't think any of us can predict which "game breakers" might become available for various reasons.
Your right.

But it doesn't happen often the last time it happened was 6 years ago with Joe Thornton.

Old
02-01-2012, 09:22 PM
Seventyx7
Carter Enthusiast

Quote:
Your right.

But it doesn't happen often the last time it happened was 6 years ago with Joe Thornton.
??

Kovalchuk, Heatley (when he was good), Hossa, Kessel, M. Richards, Stewart, Carter (not a gamebreaker of course), have all been traded in the last couple of years just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are others too.

Old
02-01-2012, 09:23 PM
riseandfall9

Quote:
Nash, Parise, Vanek, Ryan, Iginla etc. are all longshots at best. I totally understand that. I would rather overpay to get one of them or overpay them cap-hit wise than trade a JJ or VV for 10 years of Carter. If no true star ever comes available, I would rather pay less for a guy like Grabner, Okposo, Mueller etc upside-type guy (just examples). I just feel like making our big move in the form of Carter would be settling.

Again I see Carter's good numbers, and concede he is a goal scorer. I just think he would be a mistake. If it ends up happening, I absolutely hope I am wrong.
Really long shots... Ryan wont get traded to us in a million years. Parise is gonna go wherever he wants and its most likely not LA but might be a chance. Vanek I am not sure will be available but would be great to have him. Cap hit is a little messed up though. Iginla is old and wont stabilize the organization for many more years. I love Rick Nash

Old
02-01-2012, 09:28 PM
johnjm22

Lots of interesting stuff in the Portzline interview on NHL live. I'm paraphrasing, but I was most intrigued by this:

Quote:
"This is a team that's in weird spot right now. Do they feel like they're 3 or 4 moves away from being competitive? Or do they need to blow it sky high? The nuclear option.
<snip>
The front office was allergic to the idea of the nuclear option --blowing it up and starting all over again-- a month, six weeks ago, I think they're starting to come around. It's more of a consideration now than its ever been before. Not that it's a done deal, but certainly a consideration."
<snip>
Nash is the guy they'd have the hardest time trading...but I think they're considering it. They haven't exactly picked the path there, but I think everything is a consideration.
He also said Vermette and Brassard would be available for the right price.

Old
02-01-2012, 09:29 PM
Seventyx7
Carter Enthusiast

Quote:
Really long shots... Ryan wont get traded to us in a million years. Parise is gonna go wherever he wants and its most likely not LA but might be a chance. Vanek I am not sure will be available but would be great to have him. Cap hit is a little messed up though. Iginla is old and wont stabilize the organization for many more years. I love Rick Nash
Ok let's just get Rick Nash then. That was easy to agree on

Old
02-01-2012, 09:32 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Ok let's just get Rick Nash then. That was easy to agree on
How's Jeff Carter going to feel when he finds out you secretly have a crush on Rick Nash?

I can't say I think Nash would be a good option, either. That cap hit is ridiculous, and he's only put up over 70 points once in his career. That type of production isn't worth a $7.8 million cap hit that would adversely affect the ability to add other key depth pieces.

Old
02-01-2012, 09:36 PM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

I much rather get Carter than Nash. I just think Nash had been wallowing in mediocrity for far too long and I don't think he has that killer instinct. He's most likely dead inside. At least Carter has been close to the Cup.

Old
02-01-2012, 09:37 PM
riseandfall9

Quote:
??

Kovalchuk, Heatley (when he was good), Hossa, Kessel, M. Richards, Stewart, Carter (not a gamebreaker of course), have all been traded in the last couple of years just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are others too.
Kovalchuk everyone knew he wasnt going to sign and knew he was available.

Kessel also was having contract issues and he got a return the Kings wont ever give up.

Richards again was 5 years apart from Thornton and before we traded and we even knew he was available there were LOTS of guys on this board that wanted Carter because his name was out there a lot.

Hossa and Heatley we dont have an unhappy superstar to trade for another unhappy superstar

Different circumstances.

Old
02-01-2012, 09:39 PM
Seventyx7
Carter Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
How's Jeff Carter going to feel when he finds out you secretly have a crush on Rick Nash?

I can't say I think Nash would be a good option, either. That cap hit is ridiculous, and he's only put up over 70 points once in his career. That type of production isn't worth a $7.8 million cap hit that would adversely affect the ability to add other key depth pieces.
For ~$2.5M more? I agree $7.8 is alot, I guess if I had to choose I believe Nash is ~$2.5M better than Carter. His international play tells me he can do it on a big stage, he's just been wasted in Columbus.

Old
02-01-2012, 10:06 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

Alright, so I think it's safe to assume the Kings and Leafs are working on something considering that the Kings had a scout at the Tor/Pitt game today and the Leafs have a scout at the Kings game tonight.

Old
02-01-2012, 10:15 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoKingsGoo View Post
Alright, so I think it's safe to assume the Kings and Leafs are working on something considering that the Kings had a scout at the Tor/Pitt game today and the Leafs have a scout at the Kings game tonight.
Kessel?

Old
02-01-2012, 10:17 PM
Scottkmlps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Here's a list of scouts present at tonight's Kings game, as per Helene Elliott:

The Kings also had a scout in attendance at the Pens/Leafs game.
There's always scouts at games. People just make a bigger deal out of it when the trade deadline is approaching.

Old
02-01-2012, 10:18 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoKingsGoo View Post
MacArthur scored

Old
02-01-2012, 10:19 PM
riseandfall9

Bob Miller just said during the game that the Owner of the Blue Jackets wants to blow the team up but the GM hasn't decided that yet and the GM thinks that they might need 2 or 3 more players.

I'm sure someone else can give you direct quotes

I'm sure if CBJ had interest in A-Mart he would be in the line up. Looks like VV is their guy

It would hurt me more to see Voynov go then it did to see Brayden Schenn go

Old
02-01-2012, 10:55 PM
Scottkmlps

Quote:
Bob Miller just said during the game that the Owner of the Blue Jackets wants to blow the team up but the GM hasn't decided that yet and the GM thinks that they might need 2 or 3 more players.

I'm sure someone else can give you direct quotes

I'm sure if CBJ had interest in A-Mart he would be in the line up. Looks like VV is their guy

It would hurt me more to see Voynov go then it did to see Brayden Schenn go
No, Voynov is in the lineup because that's who Sutter feels gives the Kings a better chance of winning.

Old
02-01-2012, 10:57 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Yeah, I doubt there is any hidden storyline. Voynov is in because he has been solid as our 2nd offensive defenseman. They know Martinez.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Closed Thread