HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

sean couturier/brayden schenn

Old
01-22-2012, 10:33 PM
Schennanigans
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
I don't see the Flyers trading either player. I could see them trade JVR before either of those two.

Schennanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 10:41 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schennanigans View Post
I don't see the Flyers trading either player. I could see them trade JVR before either of those two.
I agree. Couturier pretty much won over the organization right away. Schenn has really come into his own the past week and has shown bits and pieces of why he was thought of so highly. Now that he is finally healthy I imagine his game to step up even more.

But really the flyers dont need to trade jvr, schenn or Couturier. Its just the way it is. None of these guys will be cap casualties.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:50 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

I find the concept of having to add Regehr and a pick and more to Roy to get either Couturier and Schenn rather funny. Obviously the two young players have substantial upside, are under team control for a long time, and Couturier is on a cheap contract (Schenn's cap hit is over $3M with bonuses). But when was the last time you saw a team add to the current star to get a young player? Trades happen the other way around. Derek Roy has proven a lot more at the NHL level than either of those players and is signed to a very reasonable contract himself.

Additionally, does anyone really see Holmgren not targetting at least one substantial ($4M+) free agent over the next few seasons? Especially with the Timonen, Hartnell, and Briere contracts drawing closer to an end and Pronger's uncertainty? I wouldn't count on all that cap space becoming available, especially with an aggressive GM like Holmgren. He's never seemed to be very concerned with future cap management in the past, and he's already dealt himself into multiple situations where he's had to deal players away to make his team cap compliant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
It's a very logical proposition and really does fill a need for both teams while dealing from a position of strngth. However, if I were the GM of the flyers I would not do this deal. Not because I wouldn't want of need Luke but just because I like the upside of Brayden more and I really really like the idea of having Giroux, B Schenn and Couturier as our three centers for the next decade.
Did you like the idea of Richards, Carter, and Giroux as your three centers for the next decade as well?

Last edited by Mystlyfe: 01-23-2012 at 12:24 AM.
Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:20 AM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

Quote:
I agree with you but honestly, I just can't see us getting a dman with the upside of either of them in a trade. Schenn and Couturier should both develop into very good #2 centers with the potential to be a low end 1st line center. The kind of dmen that I'd want in return (a potential top 2 dman, not a 2nd pairing #3/#4 guy) just isn't going to be traded for one of them. We can't get someone like OEL, Pietriangelo (sp????), Bogosian or Fowler for him so IMO it's just better to keep both and work on our defense through the draft, lesser trades, and UFA sigings.
How about if the Coyotes offer Brandon Gormley?

Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 01:24 AM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Advocate View Post
How about if the Coyotes offer Brandon Gormley?

Interesting, but I doubt the Flyers do it. Schenn and Couturier are proving themselves at the NHL level right now and doing a pretty damned good job of it too. Gormley MAY turn out to be a fine top pairing guy but there are still some question marks surrounding him. If everyone is so sure he's going to be a top pairing guy then they shouldn't be concerned about trading OEL whom I'm sure the flyers would be much more interested in (and again, I can't see the Yotes trading him for either of Schenn or Couturier).

I think a more realistic trade would be something like Matt Read for Gormley.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 01:36 AM
Gritzky98
Lottery Dynasty

edit

Gritzky98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 09:13 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
neither will be traded IMO

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 09:56 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Additionally, does anyone really see Holmgren not targetting at least one substantial ($4M+) free agent over the next few seasons? Especially with the Timonen, Hartnell, and Briere contracts drawing closer to an end and Pronger's uncertainty? I wouldn't count on all that cap space becoming available, especially with an aggressive GM like Holmgren. He's never seemed to be very concerned with future cap management in the past, and he's already dealt himself into multiple situations where he's had to deal players away to make his team cap compliant.

Did you like the idea of Richards, Carter, and Giroux as your three centers for the next decade as well?
I think, if he becomes available, the Flyers will probably make a run at Ryan Suter to replace Kimmo Timonen. Other then that, they really don't have many other holes to fill with high priced FAs. Maybe a winger to replace Jagr and/or Hartnell, but that's about it and they have enough depth at the wing where they wouldn't HAVE TO spend money on a top line guy.

It's not out of the realm of possibilty that the Flyers would trade either Schenn or Couturier, but it won't be for a few years when the Flyers actually know 100% what they have with these guys.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 10:31 AM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGARV View Post
Hemsky and Gilbert a mid level prospect relevant to team needs for cap dump and Brayden Schenn
The only real cap dump would be Bryzgalov and I can't see him waiving his NMC. I really have a hard time moving either Schenn or Couturier, with the way the flyers are set up cap wise they're almost depending on these two (along with read) providing cheap production while Briere declines toward the end of his contract.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:29 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Not a chance either are moving unless they are traded for a signed Suter or Weber, and even then i would be weary of doing it.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:52 PM
Spice Trader

I think the only thing either gets traded for will be a top end D talent playing in the NHL. Think fowler petrangelo karlson type upside. Reason being all 3 of giroux shenn and coots have top line upside. So you move one for a future #1 dman.

If giroux maintains this level of play for a couple years your looking @ 6-8 million. the other two could demand 3-6 depending on how they progess. thats alot tied up in centers.

i think if suter is going to be a rental the cost will be less than one of these guys. Call it a hunch.

Spice Trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:57 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
Giroux
Schenn
Coutourier

down the middle would be unreal

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:58 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
I agree. Couturier pretty much won over the organization right away. Schenn has really come into his own the past week and has shown bits and pieces of why he was thought of so highly. Now that he is finally healthy I imagine his game to step up even more.

But really the flyers dont need to trade jvr, schenn or Couturier. Its just the way it is. None of these guys will be cap casualties.
With Pronger hurt they could use a top defenseman. Pronger's absense means everyone needs to move up and play minutes they aren't suited for.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 01:00 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spice Trader View Post
I think the only thing either gets traded for will be a top end D talent playing in the NHL. Think fowler petrangelo karlson type upside. Reason being all 3 of giroux shenn and coots have top line upside. So you move one for a future #1 dman.

If giroux maintains this level of play for a couple years your looking @ 6-8 million. the other two could demand 3-6 depending on how they progess. thats alot tied up in centers.

i think if suter is going to be a rental the cost will be less than one of these guys. Call it a hunch.
Karlson is more than 'upside' -- he's at the top of the league leaders in scoring.

Fowler is a better comparable.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 01:05 PM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post
Giroux
Schenn
Couturier

down the middle WILL be unreal
Fixed that for ya.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:41 PM
oilers84

to philly
smyth
plante
peckham

to edm
schenn

oilers84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 09:19 AM
SheasRebellion6

No intrest in moving either of them for philly. BOTH have huge upside. Schenn was moved for Richards with a 10 yr contract; so the flyers are not going to move Schenn for atleast 3-4 yrs to fully evaluate if he is on the right track to live up to his potential. Couturier should not and is not going anywhere.

SheasRebellion6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 09:22 AM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers84 View Post
to philly
smyth
plante
peckham

to edm
schenn
What in the hell is this?

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 09:24 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
to philly
smyth
plante
peckham

to edm
schenn
No thanks. Flyers need quality rather than quantity because of their contract situation.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 09:45 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

I would trade schenn before couturier, to be honest.

And even then, I would only do it in a package for a signed legit top pairing defenseman (suter or weber) or a young defenseman with an equally as great ceiling. (a guy like cam fowler, just an example, doubt the ducks Would have any interest in moving him).

But Brayden schenn and Sean couturier are both going to be star players in this league. I think the flyers would be MORE than content keeping all 3 for the long haul, so you can argue value all you want, but the fact is, neither one of them is going to be moved unless the flyers are getting significantly and obviously better by the trade.

They just have no motive to do otherwise.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 09:58 AM
dookie88

Quote:
to philly
smyth
plante
peckham

to edm
schenn
to philly
RNH

to edm
talbot
marshall
bourdon

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 10:03 AM
SheasRebellion6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
to philly
RNH

to edm
talbot
marshall
bourdon
Well played sir... Well played.

SheasRebellion6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 10:03 AM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Subban for Couturier

ChuckyToGally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 10:11 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
to philly
RNH

to edm
talbot
marshall
bourdon
Schenn = RNH?

Yikes.

(EDIT: the original offer of Plante, Peckham, and Smyth isn't close to enough either--but it is significantly stronger than this).

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 10:16 AM
TeamBester
Debunked

Quote:
I wouldn't do it for Gunnerson + 1st seeing how your 1st isn't going to be very high any more (ie - the Leafs don't suck any more like when the Bruins traded for your 1sts).
Quote:
It's a very logical proposition and really does fill a need for both teams while dealing from a position of strngth. However, if I were the GM of the flyers I would not do this deal. Not because I wouldn't want of need Luke but just because I like the upside of Brayden more and I really really like the idea of having Giroux, B Schenn and Couturier as our three centers for the next decade.
I guess its all about the name cause Gunnar is twice the Dman as Schenn at half the cost. I know Schenn has upside but Gunnar is also getting better and better. Watch a Leafs game.

TeamBester is offline   Reply With Quote