HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The dreaded "rough spot" has arrived

Old
01-20-2012, 11:49 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
The dreaded "rough spot" has arrived

Now we will find out what we are truly made of from top to bottom in this organization. If we go into a tailspin in the 2nd half of the season, (IF! I said IF!), all the "feel good" from the first half will be squandered and many of us are going to be very, very disappointed. Thankfully, our coach seems to get it, and has never shown signs of letting up. However, Torts can only control so much and there are many factors that go into the required performance leading up to the playoffs.

How will we respond?

-Management: Will Slats make a smart deal that gives us an offensive boost going into the playoffs? Will Dolan shut the *#^& up? Will there be any surprise callups?

-Coaching: I'm expecting mucho line juggling until we find some consistent W's. Torts will try anything, but can he get us clicking again? Or, are we a On-Trick-Pony once again? Have other teams figured out our defensive counter-punch style that maybe we cannot sustain? Pen had a mighty forecheck going last night and it worked for them. What strategy and tactics can we deploy?

-Players: Who will step up? Is Richards going to figure out a way to spark the PP finally? Where will the goals come from? Do we in fact have the right players on the bus? It's starting to look like we may have to make a move.

Frankly, I'm more than a little concerned. I'm nowhere near ready to start booing or anything like that, nor do I want to break the core up. but it seems like something bordering on controversial might be required in terms of a deal.

Post ASG is going to be one helluva test for this team.

01-20-2012, 12:06 PM
SixGoalieSystem
HFBoards Sponsor

If the rough spot consists of this being a .500 team, I'll be pretty damn happy. If we're .500 for the rest of the season, we still get 99 points. (6th in the conference last year). Hopefully the rough spot won't continue for 37 games.

SixGoalieSystem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 12:13 PM
pld459666

My concern now, as it was to start the season has been the lack of an additional scoring winger for one of the top 2 lines.

Our defence is fine save for a game or two, it's our lack of offensive capabilities up front that has me a bit concerned, but that hasn't changed since the start of the season.

Need to address that and the sooner they do, the better it will be for the PO's.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:40 PM
sexton11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
My concern now, as it was to start the season has been the lack of an additional scoring winger for one of the top 2 lines.

Our defence is fine save for a game or two, it's our lack of offensive capabilities up front that has me a bit concerned, but that hasn't changed since the start of the season.

Need to address that and the sooner they do, the better it will be for the PO's.
Thats exactly right. One more legit scorer would go a long way.
I love Feds as a player, but I really dont like seeing him in a top 6 role (Prust as well). Even last night, he has a tap in from Cally I believe it was, whiffs it and Pens go down and score... That goes in, its 1-0 us and the game maybe plays out differently.

That being said, management knows that kind of player is needed and im sure they are working on it, but the cost is pretty high. The SNY blog reported earlier that everyone is asking for Stepan, McD, and Kreider.
Even the pending UFA players on non playoff teams is weak this year.

sexton11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:55 PM
Bardof425*

Obviously we need to score more. However, putting 4th liners on the second and third line will not remedy the situation. We have enough talent to score enough to win the majority of our games with the D we have and Hank. No panic. Let players develop, keep Feds (who blew a glorious opp last night), Rupp, Prust and Boyle as 4th liners (so one sits each night), give Anisimov some confidence and let it roll. There is help on the way in our prospects; at least we hope there is.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:58 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

I'm not concerned about stumbling some. But this is pointing out a team weakness that will kill us in 4 rounds of playoffs- consistent scoring. We had Gabby, Cally, MDZ, and Steps going early in the season. The last few weeks it seems all the big goals have been from Rupp, Fedotenko, Mitchell, Prust.

The way I see it is the team is broken down between primary, secondary, and depth scoring. The NYR should be getting a strong scoring sheet contribution from 1 member of each group per game if they want to resemble the Blackhawks, Flygirls, Bruins, Red Wings of recent playoff success.

Primary scoring:
Gaborik
Stepan
Richards
Callahan

Secondary scoring:
Dubinsky
Anisimov
Wolski
Mitchell
Del Zotto
McDonagh
Staal
Stralman

Depth scoring:
Fedotenko
Boyle
Prust
Rupp
Girardi
Sauer
Eminger
Woywitka
Bickel

1 member from each group with a strong score sheet per game, and Lundqvist will be able to shut the door for the W night in and night out.

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 02:00 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubkov21 View Post
If the rough spot consists of this being a .500 team, I'll be pretty damn happy. If we're .500 for the rest of the season, we still get 99 points. (6th in the conference last year). Hopefully the rough spot won't continue for 37 games.
Well so far it's win one, lose one, but the WAY we lost last night right before we go against the powerhouse from bean town is very disconcerting. Bruins will be looking to send a message, and if we get pummled 8-0 or something like that, it could be a major setback.

We've gone a good part of the season with a great (no exageration, great!) record but the way we looked last night was all too familiar for this team's recent past. We can't afford to lose our mojo. Bad things will happen.

Blueshirt Special is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 02:27 PM
WeWillWinTonight

We won I think 6 of 9 this month. If that's our rough patch I'll be thrilled

WeWillWinTonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 02:31 PM
chip chipperson*

team needs to wake up. not much emotion out there even during wins. they should play every game as if they were playing the flyers in the build up to the classic (hank does). there just doesn't seem to be much energy.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 02:32 PM
sexton11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeWillWinTonight View Post
We won I think 6 of 9 this month. If that's our rough patch I'll be thrilled
You'd take that every month, all year long. The only bad part about it is losing 3 of the last 5

Old
01-20-2012, 02:57 PM
ck20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexton11 View Post
You'd take that every month, all year long. The only bad part about it is losing 3 of the last 5
Heh, if losing 3 of the last 5 is a "rough patch" I'm fine with it. Especially when this rough patch has been much earlier and FAR worse. We still have games-in-hand on almost everyone except Boston and with more wins than anyone besides Detroit. That's an ideal situation to be in, they just have to capitalize and make use of it. They just have to come out banging on all cylinders against Boston, no questions asked, no taking shifts off. There's no excuse for a flat game tomorrow.

And about the whole Dolan nonsense..I still think it was ignorant for him to ever open his mouth, but the way Torts handled it immediately after and I would only assume in the locker room..he nipped that in the butt faster than you could even say "Dolan." They'll be fine with a regrouping day.

Question though, does anyone know how our record is in afternoon games?

ck20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 03:07 PM
Crease

The OT loser point keeps everyone in the hunt longer and causes a higher demand/lower supply of trading deadline talent. The price for a top 6 scoring forward is going to be at least a 1st rounder, higher if its not a rental.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 03:16 PM
Fleury4ever

Have to see what Boston does to NYR on Saturday, then we'll see how bad the rough waters will be.

This is not a first place team, so dropping a few spots doesn't warrant any panic.

Powerplay is the biggest problem. I think a big point shot defenceman would do more good for offense than the level of scorer that we could actually acquire.

Fleury4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 03:22 PM
NYR1967

I'm wondering if they're fatigued as a team. The style that they play puts a tremendous strain on them physically. We might see them slide a bit into the break, and then hopefully the rest will do them some good and they'll come out strong again after the ASB.

NYR1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 03:25 PM
sexton11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR1967 View Post
I'm wondering if they're fatigued as a team. The style that they play puts a tremendous strain on them physically. We might see them slide a bit into the break, and then hopefully the rest will do them some good and they'll come out strong again after the ASB.
Then we'd have to hope they dont tire themselves out for the playoffs after the 2nd half if thats the case.

Old
01-20-2012, 03:29 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

A bunch of guys have hit goal scoring slumps at the same time. Gabby, Cally, Richards, and guys like Dubi, Anisimov, and even Stepan are stuggling to put pucks in the net. In fact, Anisimov and Dubi haven't scored enough for this team as of right now, and that's part of the issue. They are scoring at a pace that isn't good enough. Dubi got hot for a while, and then he got hurt. He hasn't been playing the same since then. Anisimov has been somewhat disappointing this season, but he needs to get hot as well.

Getting that other winger that can score is big, but getting our guys going again will be more important in the end.

This team better bring their goal scoring to Boston or they'll get smoked. I doubt this is going to be the typical 1-0 2-1 game we usually see against Boston.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 03:34 PM
DM Smiths
Rookie User

It can be argued whether or not we need another top 6 forward. Someone that can create plays, take shots, and even have the potential to energize the other two skaters on his line.

But we can't wait around for that. Our players need to step up first and foremost, and they need to right now. Our plays obviously aren't working, and the dump and chases only lead to us getting manhandled by teams eager for the puck. Our PP is absolutely a crime. Tortorella has to completely revamp the way this team plays. We are so much better than this.

DM Smiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 03:37 PM
DM Smiths
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury4ever View Post
Have to see what Boston does to NYR on Saturday, then we'll see how bad the rough waters will be.

This is not a first place team, so dropping a few spots doesn't warrant any panic.

Powerplay is the biggest problem. I think a big point shot defenceman would do more good for offense than the level of scorer that we could actually acquire.
The game against Boston won't ge a good gauge for how screwed we are. Boston can put up goals against any team and can usually find their way around a team's system one way or another. All I know is that if we play that team like we played last night we will not last the first period.

DM Smiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 03:43 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury4ever View Post

Bring back McCabe and Kotalik!

I will never understand what's so magical about guys with big point shots that gets everyone's panties wet over them. A big point shot won't fix poor puck movement.

RANGERS =
we want cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 03:43 PM
chosen

Rough spot?

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 03:49 PM
Sean Aviary
Chirp! Chirp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Bring back McCabe and Kotalik!

I will never understand what's so magical about guys with big point shots that gets everyone's panties wet over them. A big point shot won't fix poor puck movement.
It's an easy reaction when the team only moved the puck and didn't shoot.

Sean Aviary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 03:49 PM
NYR1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexton11 View Post
Then we'd have to hope they dont tire themselves out for the playoffs after the 2nd half if thats the case.
That's definitely a concern.

NYR1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 03:51 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Bobby Holik blogged about the Dog Days Of Winter.

Quote:
While watching many games I have noticed what is the difference between winning and losing especially this time of the year. It is not always the more talented or deeper team that wins, but usually a team whose players are committed to doing all the little things consistently. Here are few examples.

Not losing one on one battle for the puck anywhere on the ice, otherwise youíre putting your teammates in outnumbered situation.
Lazy back check can turn innocent play into scoring opportunity.
Getting open for your teammate,give him an option whom to pass the puck.
Sacrificing your body for the benefit of the team,shot blocking and taking a hit to make a play.

This is why the Rangers are fundamentally the best team in the NHL, as I tweeted last week. They do these things better than anyone, and itís the main reason why they are at the top of the league (side from Lundqvist).
http://holikonhockey.com/bobby-blog/...ays-of-winter/

Holik was a lousy Rangers but he has a unique perspective of the NHL.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 03:55 PM
bubba5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Bobby Holik blogged about the Dog Days Of Winter.

http://holikonhockey.com/bobby-blog/...ays-of-winter/

Holik was a lousy Rangers but he has a unique perspective of the NHL.
Holik was a lousy Ranger because the team was lousy and to busy pushing Dolan in a chair on the ice during practices (they really did).

If they had any sort of system then, he would have been a good Ranger.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 03:56 PM
Stepanformayor*

I bleed Ranger blue, and have for a long time, but i'm still not convinced this team.... as it stands today has enough Intestinal Fortitude to get past Boston or to carry them deep into the playoffs for that matter. So i'm not so sure this is really any kind of "mini slump" or "rough spot" at all.. Maybe we think too highly of ourselves?. As we get past the A.S.B i think unless Richards-Boyle-Gabby-Dubi start picking it up this teams going to struggle as the season progresses..There isn't enough talent on this team to be able to coast and float around like they did against the Pens. I wish i could say we really do have a legit shot at the Cup, but this team still needs to make at least 2 more moves 1 up front and 1 on the back end. So look for the roller coaster ride to get even crazier.. IMO.

Stepanformayor* is offline   Reply With Quote