HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Portzline says Howson, Priest "look safe"

Old
01-22-2012, 06:38 AM
EspenK

vCash: 500
Portzline says Howson, Priest "look safe"

Interesting article on the Dispatch website

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...h-jackets.html

Two most interesting points- Mason will be history and Carter stands a good chance of being traded. We'll see.

Most disturbing point Howson and Priest look safe. Ugh,

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 06:42 AM
RBarRegular

Ridiculous that Niles Crane and Mike Priest will continue in their roles.

Anyway, hold on to Carter. Hold on to Nash. Rebuild the back end somehow. We're set with Tyutin, Wiz, and Moore but the other four spots should be open. Use some of the cash freed up from Huselius' and Pahlsson's contracts to acquire D help. I have no idea what to do with the goaltender situation. I can't help but think in the back of my mind that if things broke right we could have an Ottawa Senators type of resurgence next year.

RBarRegular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 06:57 AM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBarRegular View Post
Ridiculous that Niles Crane and Mike Priest will continue in their roles.

Anyway, hold on to Carter. Hold on to Nash. Rebuild the back end somehow. We're set with Tyutin, Wiz, and Moore but the other four spots should be open. Use some of the cash freed up from Huselius' and Pahlsson's contracts to acquire D help. I have no idea what to do with the goaltender situation. I can't help but think in the back of my mind that if things broke right we could have an Ottawa Senators type of resurgence next year.
Keep Big Vodka with Tyutin, so we need three new defensemen

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 08:30 AM
EDM

The sheer idiocy of grown ups actually sitting in a room with intelligent looks on their faces listening to a "rebuild plan" put forth by Priest and Howson !!!! It's the Ownership, stupid.

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 08:46 AM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

I guess the Craig Patrick hiring was all window dressing.

A quote from Porty's article today:

"The Blue Jackets are blaming the 11-12 season on their bad luck with injuries. They will make a few changes this summer and hope for better luck next season, a strategy that has been in place for 11 seasons."

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 08:54 AM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxs View Post

"The Blue Jackets are blaming the 11-12 season on their bad luck with injuries. They will make a few changes this summer and hope for better luck next season, a strategy that has been in place for 11 seasons."

Can't wait to do this same thing all over again next season.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 08:54 AM
Matt Foley
Blue Jackets

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Interesting article on the Dispatch website

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...h-jackets.html.....

Most disturbing point Howson and Priest look safe. Ugh,
Just cut my heart out with a butter knife already...

Matt Foley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 09:46 AM
GScott

I am truly dumbfounded. How can this many people be so stupid. Howson and Priest have had 5 years and it is the same story every season. Without Mason standing on his head the CBJ would still be the only team to not make the playoffs. Seriously, what plan could Niles have presented this time?

"Sorry, we tried to spend all our money and 2 1st round picks on a center and puck moving defenseman. It's not really our fault because people kept saying those were the areas we needed to improve. Since they were obviously wrong we should get another chance. Despite what everyone else in the NHL was saying I thought Mason was our franchise goalie. He had to be. Why else would I pay him over $3mil? Again, it had to be the NHL's fault since they were the ones that gave him the Calder. After 5 years I think we finally understand. We relied too much on trying to find a center for Nash when what we really need are more 3rd and 4th line grinders. Look how good Letestu played. For next year we will tweak a little by bringing in more 2nd and 3rd pairing d-men looking for a change and move them up to the top pair. I think we have our future goalie in Sanford. I know he has never had sustained success at the NHL level but I have a feeling about him. This season was a fluke. I mean, look at how well we played in mid November when everyone was healthy. We were a phenomenal 7-6-3. That's over .500 hockey!!!"

GScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:49 AM
umbyforpresident

If Niles and Little Bo Priest are back next year, I'm dropping my season tickets, plain and simple. Howson goes, and we blow up, I'll give them one last go IF I like the rebuild. Otherwise I won't spend another dime on this team and may be forced to consider a flat out boycott. How sad is that?

As for changes:
Trade Pahlsson, Methot, Huselius, Vermette, Prospal, and Mason. Keep Sanford on as backup. Dekanich stays in AHL.

Use first pick on BPA unless we can fill a hole with the players we trade. There will be spots on the backline to fill. Keep the Russians Wiz and Moore. Johnson isn't playing too bad since he's come on but he's a 7 at best. Need a 2-3 guy since we can't afford a 1 unless we buy him. Not sure what UFAs are available in that spot. Probably none.

Fill the roster with our young guys and give it two years. I assume we won't just get crap for our trades but I'm assuming we don't get a lot of NHL ready guys and assume a bad contract for Mason. Clear cap and start over.

Nash Brassard ?????
Carter Johansen ????
Dorset Letestu Umberger
Boll McKenzie Gillies

Yak goes into 2 line if we draft him. Probably needs to be shuffled to have somebody who is more responsible if he proves he's not ready. Let him play and develop. Atkinson Kubalik are possibles too, again assuming we do nothing to upgrade with UFA or can't get any to sign.

????? Wiz
Vodka 1 Vodka 2
Moore ?????
Johnson

?????
Sanford

As stated above if we can't fill gaps then play the youngsters and get more picks. More experience for the young guys at this level. If carter Nash Umberger can't wait, trade em. No loyalty to any player right now. We want to win at some point. Not furiously suck and stick in the 6th spot year after year.

Last edited by umbyforpresident: 01-22-2012 at 12:39 PM.
umbyforpresident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:54 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:

I'm beyond livid. I think a protest movement needs to be started. The fans are not being heard.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:56 AM
MattTheMask
Cbus for life!

Quote:

Are you freaking kidding me!?!? Im done. Im officially boycotting the Jackets until Priest and Howson are gone. If anyone wants to buy the rest of my tickets this season you can have them. Im dead F'ing serious. Im over this. If they dont care, then why should I?? We are the worsr run organization in all of the 4 major sports, and worse yet they are so lost and confused they do not realize it.

MattTheMask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 12:00 PM
MattTheMask
Cbus for life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
I'm beyond livid. I think a protest movement needs to be started. The fans are not being heard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by umbyforpresident View Post
If Niles and Little Bo Priest are back next year, I'm dropping my season tickets, and simple.
We gotta do it. Its the only we will get our point across. This is truly unbelievable and remarkable. Either ownership is that dumb/naive (in hockey sense) or they just dont care. Its one of the two.

Great article here that all should read. http://www.lightthelamp.com/2012-art...punchline.html

Last edited by MattTheMask: 01-22-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old
01-22-2012, 12:05 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

About the article that Portie wrote regarding Priest and Howson:

Anybody else questioning where these changes are going to come from? Half the team is tied up in long term deals and money. I'm not happy, but I'm not surprised that the Dispatch finally surmised that Carter doesn't want to be here, but if moving him this soon, after what was sacrificed to get him, is part of what these two jabronies sold to ownership, shame on them, I'd fire them both, no matter how close Priest is with Mac Jr.

I expect a few more fall guys to be let go within the next five months, merely cosmetic in nature as both these two incompetents have a few "in house-yes men" candidates to step in for the departed.

Disgusted am I.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 12:17 PM
Doug19

I've been to 1 game this season, now I don't expect that to change next season.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 12:26 PM
cbjrocks

Quote:
Brian Ellis, president of Nationwide Realty Investors and the brainchild behind the Arena District, represented Nationwide’s 30 percent ownership stake at Monday’s meeting. Ellis is sharp and aggressive, and with the largest stake among minority owners, might be the loudest voice in the ear of majority owner John P. McConnell.
Keep an eye on this guy before you pass judgment on retaining MP and SH.

cbjrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 12:34 PM
gojackets1
Someday.

This is unbelievable. Un****ingbelievable.

gojackets1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 12:44 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjrocks View Post

Keep an eye on this guy before you pass judgment on retaining MP and SH.
How do we GET to that guy? Maybe he'll listen?

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:16 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Wow, I'm stunned. I'd say we are the Pittsburgh Pirates of the NHL, or the Browns, but that's an insult to both the Pirates and Browns, at least they're trying to get better.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:24 PM
umbyforpresident

Wish we could come up with 10,000 copies of the newspaper. So instead of watching the next home game, each fan can have a copy of the paper where it says "Hope" is going to get us to the playoffs in 2012. They can read that over and over while the crap on the ice continues.

Do me a favor kids. A little experiment. Get two mason jars, approximately the same size. Weigh them. Crap in one. Put hope in the other. And see which one weighs more afterward.

umbyforpresident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:47 PM
Robert
BOB

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by umbyforpresident View Post
Wish we could come up with 10,000 copies of the newspaper. So instead of watching the next home game, each fan can have a copy of the paper where it says "Hope" is going to get us to the playoffs in 2012. They can read that over and over while the crap on the ice continues.

Do me a favor kids. A little experiment. Get two mason jars, approximately the same size. Weigh them. Crap in one. Put hope in the other. And see which one weighs more afterward.

That guy from Nationwide is at minimum interested in the survival of the Arena District... he might be the one to petition for a change in the CBJ CEO and GM.. His vote is only 30% but with the remaining partial owners they could muster a 49% block which is significant..

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:49 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Woah slow down guys. I don't believe a word they say. The article to me seems like they are safe 'for now.' Did you think we would fire our GM and President during the season? I don't.

I do agree, that the nuclear explosion of the roster is NOT needed. But significant changes must happen.

CBJBrassard16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:58 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Woah slow down guys. I don't believe a word they say. The article to me seems like they are safe 'for now.' Did you think we would fire our GM and President during the season? I don't.

I do agree, that the nuclear explosion of the roster is NOT needed. But significant changes must happen.
The significant changes that must happen needs to start in the back and work towards the front. Build a solid defense with a good goalie and then let's see what happens.

Fred Glover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 02:04 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Glover View Post
The significant changes that must happen needs to start in the back and work towards the front. Build a solid defense with a good goalie and then let's see what happens.
Agreed 100%. And I still don't think trading Carter or Nash is the answer.

CBJBrassard16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 02:06 PM
MattTheMask
Cbus for life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Glover View Post
A fish rots from the head down. There is a culture of losing here, and an acceptance of mediocrity, hell, really below mediocrity. Need to change the culture.

Fire Priest!!! Fire Howson!!

Also, is the goalie you speak of the same move Howson should have made 2 years ago, when everyone in the NHL realized this yet Howson has done nothing!?? Cmon. Wake up!

What makes you think they will fix this in 1 year, when they have had 5 flipping years to do it, and they still cant!! Its called being accountable and responsible. And as President and GM, they are the ones to blame. Why do they deserve to keep their jobs? Seriously, no other NHL team would put up with this. Tired of the excuses. The Penguins have had more significant injuries and I dont hear them making excuses.

Last edited by MattTheMask: 01-22-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old
01-22-2012, 02:31 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:

I've worked on about 4 different replies, commenting on that article. There's a lot of garbage in there, and not just the content, which has everyone ticked. At best, Porty admits, he's working off "whispers and hints." The rest seems like baseless speculation - based on the stuff that seems to contradict itself. I'm going to try and forget this piece was ever written and see how things actually play out.