HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nikita Filatov Signs w/ Salavat Yulaev Ufa (Done as a Senator?)

Old
01-23-2012, 05:00 PM
Billy Madison*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
The only and I mean only thing I saw that Filatov was lacking in his game was patience with the puck and physical play.

He was extremely weak on the puck and would react too fast to certain plays which indicated he was rather nervous.

If Filatov becomes stronger, he will be an NHL player. That I have no doubt about but it remains to be seen where exactly.
Has very little hockey sense. Some guys that lack it can make a living in front of the net, smaller guys find a way to get open or make plays... haven't seen Filatov do anything other then the occassional wrap around or shot from the top of the circles.

The guy doesn't have the mind to play in the NHL. Weak mentally and doesn't know where to be on the ice when he doesn't have the puck.

Billy Madison* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 05:05 PM
TSA0402

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
Maybe, I hope to heck Filatov gets a LOT stronger - not in upper body, in his core, or he won't be anywhere near a MacLean top 6. I also hope he listens to coaches in the KHL and plays a solid 2-way style of game (ha ha), or that too will hurt him.

Also, you copped out a bit in your lineup there, you have Neil/Condra on the 4th line, surely you're not thinking of playing one and scratching the other?
Sure. Filatov isn't the strongest player on the ice. It would be nice, but he has alot of skill. Which this team needs. Zibanejad has long way to go offensively. Turris has shown he can play both ends. Michalek is obvious.

I did cop out a bit I guess. Truth be told I like Condra as a 3rd-4th liner PK guy, but not anywhere near the top six. With injuries he will get some opportunity.

I've never hid my feelings about Chris Neil, but out of respect he shouldn't be listed as a healthy scratch. Ideally traded to a contender in my view, but I don't expect that to happen.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 05:17 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Madison View Post
Has very little hockey sense. Some guys that lack it can make a living in front of the net, smaller guys find a way to get open or make plays... haven't seen Filatov do anything other then the occassional wrap around or shot from the top of the circles.

The guy doesn't have the mind to play in the NHL. Weak mentally and doesn't know where to be on the ice when he doesn't have the puck.
What? Where are you getting some of this info from?

Filatov has very strong hockey IQ. He made some great plays on the fourth line to create chances from nothing. He just wasn't strong enough to get closer to the middle of the ice which forced him getting knocked down.

Also, Filatov just needs confidence. Have you seen Filatov play before his whole ordeal with CLB? He was everywhere on the ice, even defensively. He just needs to regain it.

Like someone said before, had Filatov scored and/or got extra points on the plays he made, a lot of people would have different thoughts.

Filatov has spectacular skill and you're kidding yourself if you say otherwise. The stuff he did during the pre-season was an indication of that but a lot of people seem to forget rather quickly.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 05:26 PM
Billy Madison*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
What? Where are you getting some of this info from?

Filatov has very strong hockey IQ. He made some great plays on the fourth line to create chances from nothing. He just wasn't strong enough to get closer to the middle of the ice which forced him getting knocked down.

Also, Filatov just needs confidence. Have you seen Filatov play before his whole ordeal with CLB? He was everywhere on the ice, even defensively. He just needs to regain it.

Like someone said before, had Filatov scored and/or got extra points on the plays he made, a lot of people would have different thoughts.

Filatov has spectacular skill and you're kidding yourself if you say otherwise. The stuff he did during the pre-season was an indication of that but a lot of people seem to forget rather quickly.
You want to go over the list of guys who have had great NHL preseasons before? Guys that look good against lesser players... didn't think so.

Filatov did nothing in Ottawa. He didn't display anything you are suggesting he has. Where did Filatov display this great hockey IQ you are talking about? Maybe his IQ is so high he knows exactly where to be he just refuses to go there because it's too tough for him.

Had Ilya Zubov scored a goal in Ottawa people would be talking about what a great draft pick that was and how he's the next great Russian star. Well, same goes for Filatov I guess too but guess what? He didn't do a thing. He dumped a puck in the corner and Spezza and Michalek went to work. That was the play people were holding on to in defense of the kid saying "he's the only + player on the Sens".

As for making "great plays" on the 4th line. I would love to see some examples of that. Even Konopka has found a way to score some goals in Ottawa, hell Butler has 3 game winners playing what can only be described as minimal top 6 mins.

Not sure what you and some others are holding on to hope for but Filatov is nothing special in the least. He's a weak, soft, and mental wreck of a hockey player.

Billy Madison* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 05:37 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

After Shupler interview (the coach of CSKA) my optimism is bigger and enough bigger.
Btw, in his last game I counted about 4-5 hits by Filatov.

http://www.sovsport.ru/gazeta/article-item/504820 (in Russian)

Billy, I dont agree with your idea about his lack of hockey IQ. It isnt lack of hockey IQ but lack of confidence and the question of his psyche (what is very important), when he is nervous and worry to do some things. I saw his play in CBJ (his first year too), AHL and now KHL And say only one, he has great hockey sense and hockey IQ. But I repeat if he wants to be success in NHL he must improve his psyche if he does it, He will be TOP 10 forward in NHL IMO. If not, by by NHL.

To Zubov (when you remembered him). What I saw in KHL, he has lack of hockey IQ, he isnt too creative player what I saw. But he plays in the front of the net and has very good defense, an ideal third line player.

Last edited by mt-svk: 01-23-2012 at 05:46 PM.
mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 09:02 PM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

Guys really?!?!? Why is Filatov garnering SO much discussion? Honestly, who cares about him right now. He's over in Russia don't a whole lot of nothing, we got tons of better prospects and we should not be waiting for something to suddenly click with him and hope he reaches his potential. His entire work habits would have to change. Management said all along he has to do more and take on more responsibility to be an every day NHLer, he has to put more work in. He started to do that in Bingo and than for a little stretch up in Ottawa, but still way too inconsistent.

He is who we thought he'd be and it's unfortunate.

Hopefully he proves me wrong one day, would love to see and have him be relevant again.

GoSensGo765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 09:59 PM
Caje

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezza19 View Post
Everyone recall how pumped and motivated Filatov was to be going back home to play in the KHL? Surly we'd see the real Filatov now right? He just had to be in the right environment and be given a chance. Of course Murray grants permission thinking it's the right move for him and he can develop further.

Well Nikita.....the more things change....the more they stay the same

CSKA Moscow: 10GP, 1G 1A 2pts, 8 PIM, -4

This guy is teetering a very dangerous line right now. That being his NHL career is close to being dead and he may be stuck in the KHL putting up awful stat lines like that for the rest of his career.

How many chances can one guy get? Maybe we are starting to finally see what the Blue Jackets had to deal with? We all thought the grass would be greener on the other side for him and it seems no matter what he does, it just isin't clicking for him.

I think we see him attempt to come back next year but there will be very little different with his game and he ends up in the same spot - back in the KHL or in the AHL.
I will never understand the hate an asset which we acquired for almost nothing garners on these forums. Seriously, he cost us a third round pick. What are the odds that someone picked in the third will even make it to the NHL, let alone make a meaningful impact?

As for your ludicrous attempt to discredit his KHL achievements - he has been playing injured. Look at his stats from 2009-2010 in the KHL - 22 points in 26 games. A player doesn't just regress that much, use some common sense.

Caje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 10:06 PM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

Did anyone consider that Filatov will likely be available to the Sens this year when his KHL season is over?

Tundraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 08:59 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caje View Post
I will never understand the hate an asset which we acquired for almost nothing garners on these forums. Seriously, he cost us a third round pick. What are the odds that someone picked in the third will even make it to the NHL, let alone make a meaningful impact?

As for your ludicrous attempt to discredit his KHL achievements - he has been playing injured. Look at his stats from 2009-2010 in the KHL - 22 points in 26 games. A player doesn't just regress that much, use some common sense.
It's interesting how both sides seem to be so polarized by Filatov.

As to the value of a 3rd round pick, I'd disagree with your position that it is of no value. Our last four 3rd rounds have been Zack Smith, Loui Caparusso, Kaspars Daugavins and Eric Gryba. Two of those guys are already NHLers, Gryba seems like a likely NHLer, and Caparusso is still a prospect, I'll be it, one that is more of an outside shot at the NHL.

So seems like about a 75% chance based on the way our team is drafting.

Either way, a fine risk as far as I'm concerned. A good gamble is still a good gamble, even when it doesn't work out and Filatov's upside was higher than your typical third rounder, even if his risk of cracking our top 6 wasn't great. And he still may yet prove to be a decent scoring winger. But I must say I've tempered my expectations on the probability of this happening a fair bit. Having watching him play a dozen or so games, I was left wanting in terms of his skill set - confidence or not. Didn't really create space for himself and always seemed to be a complimentary player, even in his best games. The fact he hasn't really put up any numbers of significance in North America, also is a bit of a red flag for his prospects. Even during Da Costa's struggles, he was at least flashing pucks skills, deft moves one-on-one, sweet feeds each game and some nice strips of oppossing players. He just couldn't put it together and was overmatched at times. Filatov seemed to be on the outside always waiting for a play to happen. Of course, a dozen games viewing isn't enough to be sure. He was at least decent in Bingo, which gave me hope given his lack of performance in the AHL previously. We tend to forget how young he is, which is still a year younger than Turris and Da Costa.

Dr.Sens(e) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 12:36 PM
starling

Now something interesting.
Filatov 1G 1A after 2nd period.
Somehow showed up on the first line and assisted to CSKA leading scorer.
Scored shorthanded goal soon after.
I don't watch the game, just looking through the boxscore.

starling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 01:01 PM
Euclid
Futbol Fan

I'd give him maybe a 5% chance of making the Sens, though I'm about 50% sure he'll return for training camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xking23 View Post
I really don't get the lack of faith in a 21 year old, who has been rushed into the NHL, playing limited minutes, been told by his coach/teammates he is too good for the AHL, and signed a one year contract in Russia. During his few NHL games, I noticed him on the back check, I saw him do amazing things offensively. I really never got his hate. Like if he scored on the wrap around in Dallas, how different would people think of him. Or if Winchester knocked in a few of those gift wrapped passes. I mean yes Ottawa has had a lot of problems with skilled Russians, but Filatov can make a difference and become a massive threat.

Filatov - Turris - Michalek would be a great 2nd line and I think it would be good to see two "busts" come in an dominate.
I was optimistic when we got Filatov so, personally, I'd hardly regard my attitude towards him as 'hate.' However, I can't agree with the bolded.
When Filatov arrived, I was surprised by his committment to back-checking and his defensive play wasn't half bad, I'll happily grant you that.

However, Filatov rarely did anything to wow me with the puck and he seemed lost in the offensive zone. Gift-wrapped passes? Didn't see too many of those either, and in his time on the first line he accomplished nothing with Spezza.

I suppose it's technically possible Filatov could become a 'massive threat,' but that would require him regaining some semblance of his pre-2008 form. That second line would be great, but Condra/Greening - Turris - Michalek would be just as good (if not better).

I honestly don't know what happened to the kid, and I feel badly for him. He should have been a star in this league but Columbus completely warped him.

Euclid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 03:18 PM
Niv
Registered Hater

vCash: 1004
Filly don't do comebacks

Niv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 03:37 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Against Minsk, one of the best teams in KHL today

one goal in PK (yes, in PK), one great assist, he played simply great and what is good he didnt show all what he knows inspite of it he was the best player from CSKA (I didnt notice Minsk players).

Sleeping princess is waking up...

Old
05-12-2012, 01:14 AM
GretzkysOffice

so should I keep him in my fantasy pool? is he worth $2m+ per?

GretzkysOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 06:01 AM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strombone1 View Post
no...

He's worth league minimum.

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 06:19 AM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

He might not be back next yearbut he's still only 21: he's got plenty of time to get better and ready for the NHL.

He was outstanding before getting drafted and was very good in his first few games in the NHL. His confidence is shot and if he can get his groove back and get stronger there is no doubt in my mind he can become a good top 6 player for the Senators.

It may take a while though!

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 07:35 AM
Tuna99

Filatov could of easily been our Bobby Butler this year, the fill in guy who doesn't really do much - maybe Ottawa trades Butler and Filatov comes back for another shot, but my guess is they trade Filatov and Butler to rebuilding teams that can take a long shot on a scorer - maybe Calgary, SJ, NJD - and we give the 40-60 NHL games to our small scoring prospects who have more promise - De Costa, Hoffman, Prince, Petersson and see what happens.

Tuna99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 08:16 AM
Juneemoon

Apparently Filatov will not be back with CSKA next season. You'd think if anyone would offer him a contract in the KHL it would be with the understanding that he's not going anywhere. And Filatov's in no position right now to bargain.

The original link but a better translated version below:

http://www.hockeypravda.ru/news/show_news.php?id=12489

May 11 11:55

"Salavat Yulaev" set his sights on Filatov
Ufa "Salavat Yulaev" intends to sign a contract with CSKA Moscow winger Nikita Filatov, who has completed an agreement with the Army Club, said "Hockey's true."

Filatov himself has not yet decided where to continue his career. Recall striker started the season in "Ottawa", for that spent nine games and made one goal assist. In December he returned to CSKA striker and scored 8 (4 +4) points in 18 regular season NHL games and one in five meetings of the playoffs.

Juneemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 08:34 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juneemoon View Post
Apparently Filatov will not be back with CSKA next season. You'd think if anyone would offer him a contract in the KHL it would be with the understanding that he's not going anywhere. And Filatov's in no position right now to bargain.

The original link but a better translated version below:

http://www.hockeypravda.ru/news/show_news.php?id=12489

May 11 11:55

"Salavat Yulaev" set his sights on Filatov
Ufa "Salavat Yulaev" intends to sign a contract with CSKA Moscow winger Nikita Filatov, who has completed an agreement with the Army Club, said "Hockey's true."

Filatov himself has not yet decided where to continue his career. Recall striker started the season in "Ottawa", for that spent nine games and made one goal assist. In December he returned to CSKA striker and scored 8 (4 +4) points in 18 regular season NHL games and one in five meetings of the playoffs.
Filatov is RFA. But teams in Russia can say with RFA players and than offer them contract. The team what has players rights have 7 days for offer. So, it is only interest of Ufa but it is a question whether it is already offer or only interest.
Btw, Ufa is one of the best Russian teams and every year it is one of the Cup of Gagarin contender.

Old
05-12-2012, 09:06 AM
koreaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strombone1 View Post
absolutely not. it would be shocking if he's here, in the lineup, and contributing offensively on a regular basis next year.

koreaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 11:49 AM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e) View Post
It's interesting how both sides seem to be so polarized by Filatov.

As to the value of a 3rd round pick, I'd disagree with your position that it is of no value. Our last four 3rd rounds have been Zack Smith, Loui Caparusso, Kaspars Daugavins and Eric Gryba. Two of those guys are already NHLers, Gryba seems like a likely NHLer, and Caparusso is still a prospect, I'll be it, one that is more of an outside shot at the NHL.

So seems like about a 75% chance based on the way our team is drafting.

Either way, a fine risk as far as I'm concerned. A good gamble is still a good gamble, even when it doesn't work out and Filatov's upside was higher than your typical third rounder, even if his risk of cracking our top 6 wasn't great. And he still may yet prove to be a decent scoring winger. But I must say I've tempered my expectations on the probability of this happening a fair bit. Having watching him play a dozen or so games, I was left wanting in terms of his skill set - confidence or not. Didn't really create space for himself and always seemed to be a complimentary player, even in his best games. The fact he hasn't really put up any numbers of significance in North America, also is a bit of a red flag for his prospects. Even during Da Costa's struggles, he was at least flashing pucks skills, deft moves one-on-one, sweet feeds each game and some nice strips of oppossing players. He just couldn't put it together and was overmatched at times. Filatov seemed to be on the outside always waiting for a play to happen. Of course, a dozen games viewing isn't enough to be sure. He was at least decent in Bingo, which gave me hope given his lack of performance in the AHL previously. We tend to forget how young he is, which is still a year younger than Turris and Da Costa.
But Columbus has to develop that third round pick.

Good luck.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 01:26 PM
Dysentery
Ottawa Senators

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWJ View Post
I'd give him maybe a 5% chance of making the Sens, though I'm about 50% sure he'll return for training camp.

I was optimistic when we got Filatov so, personally, I'd hardly regard my attitude towards him as 'hate.' However, I can't agree with the bolded.
When Filatov arrived, I was surprised by his committment to back-checking and his defensive play wasn't half bad, I'll happily grant you that.

However, Filatov rarely did anything to wow me with the puck and he seemed lost in the offensive zone. Gift-wrapped passes? Didn't see too many of those either, and in his time on the first line he accomplished nothing with Spezza.

I suppose it's technically possible Filatov could become a 'massive threat,' but that would require him regaining some semblance of his pre-2008 form. That second line would be great, but Condra/Greening - Turris - Michalek would be just as good (if not better).

I honestly don't know what happened to the kid, and I feel badly for him. He should have been a star in this league but Columbus completely warped him.
Spezza dont do Filly.

As crazy as it sounds, I think Spezza made it a point not to pass to him, thats what I saw anyways.

Dysentery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 01:47 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyManked View Post
But Columbus has to develop that third round pick.

Good luck.
TJ Tynan is looking more likely to make the NHL at this point then Filatov. They made a phenomenal pick with that 3rd rounder.

WasTeD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 01:48 PM
Legend Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital O TEETEE 613 View Post
Spezza dont do Filly.

As crazy as it sounds, I think Spezza made it a point not to pass to him, thats what I saw anyways.
I bet the coaches told Spezza not to pass to him because they read HF and wanted to mess around with the Filly supporters. Thats what I think anyways.

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 02:00 PM
KarlSen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer View Post
I bet the coaches told Spezza not to pass to him because they read HF and wanted to mess around with the Filly supporters. Thats what I think anyways.
True. Clearly part of the anti-Filly conspiracy that kept him off the team.

KarlSen is offline   Reply With Quote