HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Jim Balsillie gets the boot (Mod - concern over future RIM sponsorship)

Closed Thread

Old
01-23-2012, 10:32 AM
Evil Doctor
Damn you Taylor Reed

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrocks58 View Post
JB's fall is noted here without remorse.
And this is what JB thinks about your notation....

Old
01-23-2012, 11:23 AM
Scottrocks58*
Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Enh. I'd like that kind of fall. He can retire to his favorite tropical island--- and he can afford Leafs tickets.
If you want to see real hockey being played, go for Bruins tickets, not Leafs tickets.

I'ld like that kind of fall myself, btw. The leader always walks away from disaster smelling like roses. Its the little guy who gets squeezed.

Old
01-23-2012, 11:25 AM
Scottrocks58*
Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Doctor View Post
And this is what JB thinks about your notation....

So? If I wanted JB to even know about my notation I would have put it on his personal email account. I'm happy standing along the sidelines watching RIM sink under the waves. At least he'll have more time to practice his backskating.

Old
01-23-2012, 11:35 AM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

JB's efforts went a long way to bringing a 7th team to Canada and will be the springboard for the Make it 8 campaign. He will always be a good man, a great Canadian and a hero in my book.

Thanks Jim.

Old
01-23-2012, 11:36 AM
Confucius

JB more than likely cashed in a great portion of his shares. How else would the share holders be able to boot him? He must have sold off enough to lose control of the thing.

Anyway great ride Mr. Jim Balsillie. Ride off into the sunset but don't drink to many Marguerita's. He did alot of good in areas outside of hockey.

Old
01-23-2012, 11:36 AM
Fourier

Quote:
So? If I wanted JB to even know about my notation I would have put it on his personal email account. I'm happy standing along the sidelines watching RIM sink under the waves. At least he'll have more time to practice his backskating.
You have lots of reasons not to like JB. But RIM is far more than Jim Balsillie. Thousands of people's jobs depend on that company's success. And far more would be affected by the fallout. Perhaps it would be best to simply wish him ill will and leave the rest of these people out of it.

Last edited by Fourier: 01-23-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Old
01-23-2012, 11:40 AM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
JB's fall is noted here without remorse.
Quote:
I'm happy standing along the sidelines watching RIM sink under the waves.
That's amazing. If you substitute "The Coyotes" for the Bolded/Underlined words above we feel the EXACT same way.

Old
01-23-2012, 11:49 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
That's amazing. If you substitute "The Coyotes" for the Bolded/Underlined words above we feel the EXACT same way.
Who's we?

Old
01-23-2012, 12:37 PM
gordie

Hamilton in the NHL is a dead issue. When Toronto, Buffalo and I always believe Detroit is part of the ban NHL in Hamilton cabal and this with a Phoenix franchise that probably can't survive and an Atlanta franchise that was virtually evicted out of Atlanta by its old owners. Hamilton unlike those two cities would sell out every game and maybe replacing the old Copps Coliseum issue could be solved but the opposition within the Board of Governors looks to be too strong and whoever decides they want to try NHL in Hamilton again will face the same type of opposition as Ballsille, Ron Joyce etc...

Old
01-23-2012, 12:38 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyhopeful View Post
JB more than likely cashed in a great portion of his shares. How else would the share holders be able to boot him? He must have sold off enough to lose control of the thing.

Anyway great ride Mr. Jim Balsillie. Ride off into the sunset but don't drink to many Marguerita's. He did alot of good in areas outside of hockey.
Because with rare exceptions (typically with class A/class B share voting schemes a la Dolan & CVC/MSG and some media companies), founders of companies quickly lose majority ownership and operational control as soon as (or even before if there are multiple rounds of VC funding) a company goes public. The vast majority of shares are held by institutional investors and mutual funds. All RIMM insiders combined own less than 15% of the shares - includings JB's ~5% and Lazaridis ~6%.

Old
01-23-2012, 12:41 PM
cutchemist42

Why are people hating on Balsillie? He tried brining a team to Canada while getting exposed some of the NHL's stupidity in court.

Old
01-23-2012, 12:55 PM
Scottrocks58*
Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
You have lots of reasons not to like JB. But RIM is far more than Jim Balsillie. Thousands of people's jobs depend on that company's success. And far more would be effected by the fallout. Perhaps it would be best to simply wish him ill will and leave the rest of these people out of it.
That's a very valid point. Point taken. I would be fine if RIM survived without JB having any part in it.

Old
01-23-2012, 12:56 PM
Scottrocks58*
Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
Why are people hating on Balsillie? He tried brining a team to Canada while getting exposed some of the NHL's stupidity in court.
Because not all of us live in Canada. Some live in Pittsburgh, some in Nashville, and some in Phoenix. The viewpoint is different from those cities.

Old
01-23-2012, 01:17 PM
cutchemist42

Quote:
Because not all of us live in Canada. Some live in Pittsburgh, some in Nashville, and some in Phoenix. The viewpoint is different from those cities.
Balsillie wasn't the only attempting to move Nashville though, Hartford made bids for that team too.

Old
01-23-2012, 01:21 PM
MayDay

Quote:
Why are people hating on Balsillie?
Because he's a vulture.

Because he tried to uproot not one, not two, but three NHL teams from their fans for the sole purpose of relocating them. And reportedly also made inquiries about the Sabres, but former-owner Golisano told him to get bent if he was even thinking of moving the team.

Because he's a two-faced liar and snake who told the people of Pittsburgh that he wanted to buy Pens and secure their future in Pittsburgh, while all the while (as later became clear) he was planning to move them.

Because of the shameless way that he employed flag-waving, nationalistic rhetoric to gain public and media support for his personal ambitions.

It's not really difficult at all to understand why he would be a hated figure in a number of US cities.

Old
01-23-2012, 01:28 PM
nordsfan4life

Quote:
I can see you're ecstatic about Mr.Balsillie finding himself in a rut, but have you bothered to consider that RIM employs individuals who rely on a paycheck? Happy to be "Watching RIM sink" is as ignorant a comment I have read on these boards in quite some time. What are you, 10 years old?

Old
01-23-2012, 01:29 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
Quote:
Balsillie wasn't the only attempting to move Nashville though, Hartford made bids for that team too.
really? we never heard of it.... but i wouldnt doubt it... leipold would have sold the team to anyone he could get to take it off his hands... he wanted to buy the Wild when they became available

Old
01-23-2012, 01:42 PM
JMROWE

I belive Hamilton has proven it self has NHL. city with the over 22.000 turn out for the ahl outdoor classic in which some of you said would be a flop in fact it was a huge success . Would not surprise me if Jim Balsille takes one last run at buying the coyotes or some other sad sack NHL. team & moving them to Hamilton but this time around he would probley be head of a group of investors insted of just himself & also have support from a couple of the big player owners in Daryl Katz & AEG. .

Old
01-23-2012, 02:00 PM
matCH penalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
Thank goodness for Gary Bettman's leadership.
Spit when you say that, son.

Old
01-23-2012, 02:05 PM
Scottrocks58*
Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordsfan4life View Post
I can see you're ecstatic about Mr.Balsillie finding himself in a rut, but have you bothered to consider that RIM employs individuals who rely on a paycheck? Happy to be "Watching RIM sink" is as ignorant a comment I have read on these boards in quite some time. What are you, 10 years old?
See comment #37. Look before you leap, son.

Old
01-23-2012, 02:06 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
If you want to see real hockey being played, go for Bruins tickets, not Leafs tickets.
I am a Wings fan, Scott. My Wings handily defeated the B's twice last year, and in my opinion, the best game of the year this year was B's vs Wings. Thus, again we disagree.

(Notice that I didn't mention the playoffs of last year.....oh, until now.)

Old
01-23-2012, 02:09 PM
RandR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
Because he's a vulture.

Because he tried to uproot not one, not two, but three NHL teams from their fans for the sole purpose of relocating them. And reportedly also made inquiries about the Sabres, but former-owner Golisano told him to get bent if he was even thinking of moving the team.

Because he's a two-faced liar and snake who told the people of Pittsburgh that he wanted to buy Pens and secure their future in Pittsburgh, while all the while (as later became clear) he was planning to move them.

Because of the shameless way that he employed flag-waving, nationalistic rhetoric to gain public and media support for his personal ambitions.

It's not really difficult at all to understand why he would be a hated figure in a number of US cities.
As a Canadian I was disgusted by that as much as anything this guy did.

A quote from Nashville's owner about Balsillie:
Quote:
“He’s untrustworthy. He’s deceiving. He’s arrogant. He’s a person who doesn’t know how to be a partner in our business,” Leipold testified. “When there is someone that you have dealt with and that has lied to you continually, that has deceived you—knowing that he was going to deceive you at the end—that is a pretty good reason to dislike him.
RIM’s billionaire boss has been shut out of the NHL. Is the league to blame—or is he?

On the original topic, I do think that the pushing out of Balsillie from a CEO position could impact RIM's sponsorship deal with the NHL. I have to think that one reason why RIM had a deal with the NHL in the first place was because Balsillie would have hoped he could use it to eventually get back into good books with the league (ie- for his own benefit). RIM does need to market its products better, and with new direction any existing large-scale deals could be up for re-assessment going forward.

Old
01-23-2012, 02:11 PM
Scottrocks58*
Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
I am a Wings fan, Scott. My Wings handily defeated the B's twice last year, and in my opinion, the best game of the year this year was B's vs Wings. Thus, again we disagree.

(Notice that I didn't mention the playoffs of last year.....oh, until now.)
If you've had a chance to read my posts on our threads on days we play the Wings, you know that I have always wanted the Coyotes front office to hire some Wings front office proteges and emulate their model for success. It's not that they beat the Coyotes all the time, but that they sustain their success over multiple seasons. That's what I want from the Coyotes. Nothing but respect from me for that organization. The Wings arrived over a decade ago. When the Yotes beat the Wings in a playoff series, that's when they will have arrived as well.

Old
01-23-2012, 02:20 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandR View Post

A quote from Nashville's owner about Balsillie:
The former Nashville owner (and now the Wild's) who broke the league's own disclosure requirements while having a seat on the franchise sales committee during the sale of the Preds to Boots and Freeman?

Yes, he's certainly a fine person to say that about JB. His own attempt to sell the Preds to JB is another interesting twist in the sordid tale.

Old
01-23-2012, 02:34 PM
Evil Doctor
Damn you Taylor Reed

Yep, see, another Balsillie=pinata thread...

Closed Thread