HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Jim Balsillie gets the boot (Mod - concern over future RIM sponsorship)

Closed Thread

Old
01-23-2012, 01:41 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
I don’t think that there is a drastic change needed,” Heins said to a conference call of investors on Monday, The Canadian Press reported. “We are evolving our strategies, our tactics and processes… I want us to have a bit more of an ear toward the consumer market and understand trends — and not just do what the Street is telling (us).”
And the Street is telling you - yes, there is. RIMM down ~7% today.

Lots of speculation that Heins has until about May's annual analyst event to present a compelling vision and plan for a turnaround - otherwise there will be a more significant push for a sale.

Old
01-23-2012, 02:02 PM
nordsfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrocks58 View Post
See comment #37. Look before you leap, son.
Point is, you still wrote it, son. It tells a lot about who is behind the pen, er, keyboard.

Old
01-23-2012, 02:09 PM
Scottrocks58*
Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordsfan4life View Post
Point is, you still wrote it, son. It tells a lot about who is behind the pen, er, keyboard.
I think that my positions have been made known from long before you joined the little party. Behind the pen is someone who loathes Balsillie and blames him for ruining an orderly transition of the Coyotes to a Reinsdorf ownership. I am unabashedly enjoying his corporate demise.

Old
01-23-2012, 02:11 PM
nordsfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by dronald View Post
Goodbye Jim, we hardly knew ye.

Perhaps it's good for RIM, but who will be Hamilton's saviour now?
I feel your pain Dronald. Grew up near Hamilton and remember back in the 80's everyone seemed positive that the city would get their franchise (NHL). Whatever happen to Ron Joyce?
Homebased mostly in the U.S, but I'm travelling out of CONUS most of the time leaving me out of touch with S.Ontario issues - except for reading about Hamilton's inept city councillors every now and again.

Old
01-23-2012, 02:17 PM
cutchemist42

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
really? we never heard of it.... but i wouldnt doubt it... leipold would have sold the team to anyone he could get to take it off his hands... he wanted to buy the Wild when they became available
" Lawrence Gottesdiener began lobbying to buy the Pittsburgh Penguins and move them to a new Hartford arena, but the Lemieux Group was reluctant to sell. The Penguins bid was officially off the table in March 2007, when the team announced that they were beginning construction on a new arena and that they signed a 30-year deal with the city of Pittsburgh to keep the team there well into the future. Penguins owner Mario Lemieux claimed at the arena's ground-breaking ceremony that relocating the franchise was never a possibility, but instead it was a negotiation tactic to help the team get funding for the arena from both state and local officials.[12]
After the Pittsburgh bid fell through, Gottesdiener made another bid for the Nashville Predators franchise with the hope of bringing them to Hartford. That bid was lost in August 2007, as the Predators ownership ultimately decided to sell to a local holding company that would keep the team in Nashville."

Google/Wiki provides the links to the stories.

Old
01-23-2012, 02:18 PM
Scottrocks58*
Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
And the Street is telling you - yes, there is. RIMM down ~7% today.

Lots of speculation that Heins has until about May's annual analyst event to present a compelling vision and plan for a turnaround - otherwise there will be a more significant push for a sale.
RIM needs a completely new business model. Their previous business model of selling to people who needed email, and then secure email on the go is no longer viable. RIM's products are simply not compettitive in the present market.

Perhaps implantable phones?

Old
01-23-2012, 04:30 PM
Evil Doctor
Army Recruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
Because he's a vulture.

Because he tried to uproot not one, not two, but three NHL teams from their fans for the sole purpose of relocating them. And reportedly also made inquiries about the Sabres, but former-owner Golisano told him to get bent if he was even thinking of moving the team.

Because he's a two-faced liar and snake who told the people of Pittsburgh that he wanted to buy Pens and secure their future in Pittsburgh, while all the while (as later became clear) he was planning to move them.

Because of the shameless way that he employed flag-waving, nationalistic rhetoric to gain public and media support for his personal ambitions.

It's not really difficult at all to understand why he would be a hated figure in a number of US cities.
What about Chipman and Thompson? They actually 'uprooted' a team and moved them to Winnipeg...

And knock off the revisionism, Balsillie had no interest in moving the Pens as long as the arena deal went through...

Old
01-23-2012, 04:42 PM
Scottrocks58*
Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Doctor View Post
What about Chipman and Thompson? They actually 'uprooted' a team and moved them to Winnipeg...

And knock off the revisionism, Balsillie had no interest in moving the Pens as long as the arena deal went through...
There's a major difference. I can't believe that I am defending ANYTHING Winnipeg here, but Chipman and Thomson took a team that Bettman had to move out of Atlanta, because the operators of the arena who owned the team didn't want the team playing there under a new owner, and no new local owners would take a team without having an arena in which to play.

JB, on the other hand, told ownership and the local fans that he wouldn't relocate the team, all the while planning the relocation.

Old
01-23-2012, 04:49 PM
MayDay

Quote:
Balsillie had no interest in moving the Pens as long as the arena deal went through...
If you actually believe that, I have a bridge to sell you.

Old
01-23-2012, 04:51 PM
Confucius

Quote:
A toll bridge? How much. We have private hwy's here as well.

Old
01-23-2012, 04:52 PM
Evil Doctor
Army Recruit

Quote:
If actually believe what you do, it says more about you...

Old
01-23-2012, 04:53 PM
Evil Doctor
Army Recruit

Quote:
There's a major difference. I can't believe that I am defending ANYTHING Winnipeg here, but Chipman and Thomson took a team that Bettman had to move out of Atlanta, because the operators of the arena who owned the team didn't want the team playing there under a new owner, and no new local owners would take a team without having an arena in which to play.

JB, on the other hand, told ownership and the local fans that he wouldn't relocate the team, all the while planning the relocation.
Right...yea for double standards!

Old
01-23-2012, 04:57 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

So how what kind of impact would this have had on the Hamilton Coyotes, I wonder.

01-23-2012, 05:04 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

The NHL was proven right about this guy, but of course not many will say Bettman or the BOG were correct. Karmas a you know what Jim!

Old
01-23-2012, 05:28 PM
Scottrocks58*
Six

Quote:
Right...yea for double standards!
Oh please. Unfortunately the Thrashers were to be homeless and ownerless. Chipman and Thomson, for all the underhanded dealings which I accuse them of doing in the Phoenix market, were given the Thrashers on a silver platter, courtesy of GB. They did nothing underhanded in Atlanta, as I understand it.

I see no double standard in calling out Balsillie for his underhanded approach to Nashville, Pittsburgh and for arranging for the Phoenix bankruptcy. The guy's a louse and that's all there is to it.

Old
01-23-2012, 05:30 PM
dronald

I would feel sorry for anyone who thinks they should pity me for going from a billionaire to a multi-millionaire. Lol.

Old
01-23-2012, 05:36 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
If actually believe what you do, it says more about you...
He lied to the BOG!! He lied to Pens' fans, He lied to Leipold, He lied to Preds' fans. He lied to Mario. His drawings of his Copps plans had Crosby and Fluery in them, yet he had no intentions of moving the Pens as long as the arena deal went though. (do I need the sacrasm smiley) He undermined the Preds' lease behind the owner and city's back to motivate Leipold to sell to him. He's a proven liar and now is unemployed I don't care how rich he is he's a lying lowlife slime-ball. I hope he files for Bankruptsy like he forced the Coyotes to do.

Old
01-23-2012, 06:29 PM
berklon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
He lied to the BOG!! He lied to Pens' fans, He lied to Leipold, He lied to Preds' fans. He lied to Mario. His drawings of his Copps plans had Crosby and Fluery in them, yet he had no intentions of moving the Pens as long as the arena deal went though. (do I need the sacrasm smiley) He undermined the Preds' lease behind the owner and city's back to motivate Leipold to sell to him. He's a proven liar and now is unemployed I don't care how rich he is he's a lying lowlife slime-ball. I hope he files for Bankruptsy like he forced the Coyotes to do.
Yeah, and Bettman has never lied.

The Coyotes were essentially bankrupt before Balsillie got to them. The continued disaster the last couple years prove this. At least JB was willing to put the team out of it's misery and move it to a profitable market. The whole Coyotes mess looks really good on Bettman and the NHL. Pretty deserving.

Old
01-23-2012, 06:53 PM
Sad Leafs fan

vCash: 1807
ahhh forget it

Old
01-23-2012, 06:55 PM
Sad Leafs fan

vCash: 1807
Quote:
Originally Posted by berklon View Post
Yeah, and Bettman has never lied.

The Coyotes were essentially bankrupt before Balsillie got to them. The continued disaster the last couple years prove this. At least JB was willing to put the team out of it's misery and move it to a profitable market. The whole Coyotes mess looks really good on Bettman and the NHL. Pretty deserving.
I agree.

Old
01-23-2012, 06:58 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Enh. I'd like that kind of fall. He can retire to his favorite tropical island--- and he can afford Leafs tickets.
Actually much more localized & familiar.
Long time 4 season home/cottage on Georgian
Bay, complete with road hockey court & rink...
Nothing pretentious, comfortable.

Old
01-23-2012, 07:10 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

vCash: 131
Quote:
Oh please. Unfortunately the Thrashers were to be homeless and ownerless. Chipman and Thomson, for all the underhanded dealings which I accuse them of doing in the Phoenix market, were given the Thrashers on a silver platter, courtesy of GB. They did nothing underhanded in Atlanta, as I understand it.

I see no double standard in calling out Balsillie for his underhanded approach to Nashville, Pittsburgh and for arranging for the Phoenix bankruptcy. The guy's a louse and that's all there is to it.
I'm still waiting for you or ANYONE to provide me proof of this. Otherwise, it's just more of your anti-Winnipeg empty baseless rhetoric as usual.

Old
01-23-2012, 07:19 PM
Scottrocks58*
Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
I'm still waiting for you or ANYONE to provide me proof of this. Otherwise, it's just more of your anti-Winnipeg empty baseless rhetoric as usual.
You are welcome to find your own proof, or not, as you see fit. (hint - Darcy)

Old
01-23-2012, 07:20 PM
Scottrocks58*
Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
^This!!! x 1000

Old
01-23-2012, 07:21 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

vCash: 131
Quote:
You are welcome to find your own proof, or not, as you see fit. (hint - Darcy)
What a lamesauce response, but not unexpect from you, Scotty, considering that you know yourself there is no proof of what you claim. You just keep wearing that tinfoil hat buddy

Last edited by Puckschmuck*: 01-23-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Closed Thread