HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Question on Making a Rink on a Lake

Old
01-19-2012, 07:40 PM
Dishtank

vCash: 500
Question on Making a Rink on a Lake

Usually every year it freezes just fine. This year it froze, thawed, froze, thawed, and now froze again. the entire lake is bumpy and i want to flood a little area on the lake for a smooth rink. I would use a hole in the ice with water from the lake but no idea if it will be smooth or even work. Any help?

Dishtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 12:16 AM
madmutter
Oilyness

Used to do a rink on the river when I was a kid. Bore a hole with an ice fishing auger and pump water out to flood it, always worked for us.

madmutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 04:40 PM
hockeyisforeveryone

vCash: 70
Are you close enough to run hoses from a spicket? That is much better because the water doesn't freeze as your applying it, makes for a very smooth surface, although a lot more work carrying hoses in and out of the cold.

hockeyisforeveryone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 11:12 PM
shawn1331

Break a hole in the ice and let it sit over night. Then come out in the morning with a blow torch and melt any bumps you have. Remember a lake rink will NEVER be perfect so get it decent and be happy with it. Don't stress yourself over it.

shawn1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 01:17 PM
old time hockey4

Ya, whenever we had big freeze melt cycles on our lake we would just do a whole bunch of floods with a pump that we drop in an auger hole. Then skate the hell out of the rink to get the bumps and dips out of the rink.

old time hockey4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 04:59 PM
Leafan519

This has been the worst winter in my 22 year lifetime for outdoor skating in southern Ontario at least. The little lake I skate on didn't even freeze over at all til proably a week ago when there was a 3-4 day super cold stretch of -5 C or colder. It was only an inch or so thick and obviously not skatable, then yesterday it's plus 8with rain and gone. This freeze thaw cycle is so frustrating, it's the end of Jan and no skatable ice more then a couple cm's in sight, normally it'd be over a foot thick and i'd have been playing shinny since mid December. Damn you global warming!

Leafan519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 05:42 PM
newfr4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafan519 View Post
This has been the worst winter in my 22 year lifetime for outdoor skating in southern Ontario at least. The little lake I skate on didn't even freeze over at all til proably a week ago when there was a 3-4 day super cold stretch of -5 C or colder. It was only an inch or so thick and obviously not skatable, then yesterday it's plus 8with rain and gone. This freeze thaw cycle is so frustrating, it's the end of Jan and no skatable ice more then a couple cm's in sight, normally it'd be over a foot thick and i'd have been playing shinny since mid December. Damn you global warming!
i really think if canadians would realize that burning the tar sands means less skatable lakes in the winter for a majority of canadians, they would immediately stop the project.

newfr4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 07:45 PM
shawn1331

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafan519 View Post
I hear ya bro. We got out pond skating once this year before it thawed. I'm also into snowmobiling and we don't have much snow either, so we got out on the sleds twice. And no word of a lie, my sled blew up both times we went out within half an hour of riding. It blew up the first time in like 15 minutes and we rebuilt it really quick so we wouldn't loose any riding and the machine shop bored the cylinder out too far and it blew up again. SO F@#$ING FRUSTERATING!!!!

shawn1331 is offline   Reply With Quote