HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Bell Centre no longer Selling out

Closed Thread

Old
01-23-2012, 10:43 AM
Beakermania*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
How long was the waiting list for tickets in 2001 ?2002?
Right on Montreal's website it says sold out since 2004....
People keep saying that the waiting lists miles long ,sell out forever..., but history shows different.
Montreal isn't Toronto

Montreal's new theme slogan for next season should be :

20 YEARS OF SMOKE AND MIRRORS
Give us 4 or 5 years like 1998-99 through 2002-03 and yeah, you'll probably see a dent in the number of tickets sold.

But this is one season.

Old
01-23-2012, 10:44 AM
neofury*

Quote:
they claim there already 2000 or more MISSING from Games.

That is 2000 mouths not drinking ...not eating....

It will end up 5000 or more, watch by years end....

Will see the enthusiasm of a ticket increase ...lol
2000 people where 100% of those tickets were bought, and 25k more seats are still filled. You think they're shaking in their boots? LOL

The tickets are some of the most expensive in the NHL, the beer already is, the merch probably is expensive as all hell too. They're already turning a better profit than most teams because a lot of arenas can only fit 17-20k and you think Molson is shaking in his boots cause 2k people who PAID for their tickets didn't show up to buy beer etc? Dude two guys buy a watered down beer, so basically you get 75% of a beer 25% water for 11$ and so does your friend, basically 1.5 beers for 22$, you could get a 24 bottled for that. I really doubt Molson is worried about it

I'm not saying 2000 people doesn't add up to something, but a lot of those people are also kids who don't drink, some of them are cheap people who don't buy anything. It isn't like all 2000 of those people are buying a jersey each game or something.

I'm not saying it doesn't have an affect but to make it sound like it's going to change a thing or that Molson is going to have to worry, even selling 25k/27k seats, even if 2000 were not sold (which they are) on top of people not showing up, they still make more money than most teams do.

Old
01-23-2012, 10:44 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
This isn't the mp3 player market where 1,000,000 people this week want to buy an ipod and there are 10,000,000 available. This is a hockey team with 27k seats available and like 125k people who aren't able to get those seats still want them. Say 5k of the people who want those seats decide **** it, and even 25k out of the 125k say **** it too, the other 100k people who still are on the waiting lists or haven't even bothered up until now will still buy the tickets. They will still attend games and if they don't someone will in their place. 200 people whining won't change a thing, Molson bought this org because he knows even if they finish dead last he'll turn a profit.
Lets be honest, no playoff hockey?no big deal.

Evenko more events....

tell me how many days you see nothing going on???

http://www.evenko.ca/en/show/events_calendar

Evenko is MOLSON,Habs don't make playoffs, just book more events on those dates....
Molson bought Habs AND EVENKO(formerly Gillett Entertainment Group)

Old
01-23-2012, 10:47 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Lets be honest, no playoff hockey?

Evenko more events....

tell me how many days you see nothing going on???

http://www.evenko.ca/en/show/events_calendar

Evenko is MOLSON,Habs don't make playoffs, just book more event on those dates....
Exactly. I don't understand if you're trying to argue for or against what I'm saying here But that's exactly it, he isn't the least bit worried about it. First of all it's one season, second of all he's still going to make a killing either way.

Playoff hockey gives you dollars but so do live events. It's a cash cow basically.

Old
01-23-2012, 10:49 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Exactly. I don't understand if you're trying to argue for or against what I'm saying here But that's exactly it, he isn't the least bit worried about it. First of all it's one season, second of all he's still going to make a killing either way.

Playoff hockey gives you dollars but so do live events. It's a cash cow basically.
No aruging,
Just saying hockey isn't really that important anymore(playoffs) ,because EVENKO make tons of cash ,and concerts are every bit or better,as playoff hockey....

This is why I'd like to move out of Bell Centre,because Bell Centre doesn't need Habs, and I'd like to see the FOCUS put back into HOCKEY ,not concerts.

One of the world's best in CONCERTS
Sad sack hockey teams for last 20 years,who once was the BEST.

Quote from Forbes
Quote:
Evenko (formerly the Gillett Entertainment Group), which has made the Bell Centre one of the world’s busiest concert venues.

Last edited by Habaneros: 01-23-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old
01-23-2012, 10:55 AM
PricePkPatch

Thing is, the attendance has already dropped. Ticket sale hasn't, obviously, since tickets are usually bought at the start of the season.

And there are NO ONE who can replace the viewers on tv. And tv-relate income is a cash cow, while not of the same scale as ticket sale, it's the kind of money that goes right into your profit margin. Losing those means losing a lot of your disposable income.

The team's incurred costs is usually covered by the ticket sales. It doesn't mean additional income isn't sought after.

And I doubt any real loss of business will come out of any stupid boycott. If anything, it'll come out of what weakened the Habs in the 90's: disinterest with the team. Weakening of the franchise.

Like you said, this isn't apple. It's worst: its the entertainment business. The Habs a in direct competition will all tv shows, movies, plays, music shows, clubs, etc... Present in Montreal. Your argument about lack of competition only makes sense to hockey fanatics who want their hockey fix. Sorry to break it to you buddy, but these aren't ennough to support an operation like the Habs.

People will get interest in other, cheaper and more entertaining forms of entertainment products available to them if the Habs brand is weakened for too long.

Old
01-23-2012, 10:57 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Making profit =/= increase in profits, which is something most companies are looking for, especially when you just invested in a company, the point is that either you know you can increase profits or it will increase in profits. Making profits is not enough when tag price is over 1/2 billion. The investors won't go broke, but they sure give a crap if profits are not increased yearly.

And an evenko event (they have canceled a few ones this year, including Nas+Lauren Hill, because they can't sell tickets) is not even CLOSE to the returns of a PO game. lol. The only even they can sell out at Evenko is Bon Jovi. Every other event doesn't have more then 5-10k people.

Old
01-23-2012, 10:59 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Thing is, the attendance has already dropped. Ticket sale hasn't, obviously, since tickets are usually bought at the start of the season.

And there are NO ONE who can replace the viewers on tv. And tv-relate income is a cash cow, while not of the same scale as ticket sale, it's the kind of money that goes right into your profit margin. Losing those means losing a lot of your disposable income.

The team's incurred costs is usually covered by the ticket sales. It doesn't mean additional income isn't sought after.

And I doubt any real loss of business will come out of any stupid boycott. If anything, it'll come out of what weakened the Habs in the 90's: disinterest with the team. Weakening of the franchise.

Like you said, this isn't apple. It's worst: its the entertainment business. The Habs a in direct competition will all tv shows, movies, plays, music shows, clubs, etc... Present in Montreal. Your argument about lack of competition only makes sense to hockey fanatics who want their hockey fix. Sorry to break it to you buddy, but these aren't ennough to support an operation like the Habs.

People will get interest in other, cheaper and more entertaining forms of entertainment products available to them if the Habs brand is weakened for too long.
Unless you are one of the rare homes that has a Neilson Ratings box attached to your tv, turning off RDS does nothing to the ratings, and how the number of viewers are calculated. So good luck to 95% of the boycotters.

Old
01-23-2012, 11:09 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
Making profit =/= increase in profits, which is something most companies are looking for, especially when you just invested in a company, the point is that either you know you can increase profits or it will increase in profits. Making profits is not enough when tag price is over 1/2 billion. The investors won't go broke, but they sure give a crap if profits are not increased yearly.

And an evenko event (they have canceled a few ones this year, including Nas+Lauren Hill, because they can't sell tickets) is not even CLOSE to the returns of a PO game. lol. The only even they can sell out at Evenko is Bon Jovi. Every other event doesn't have more then 5-10k people.

U2 360° TOUR SOLD OUT. Saturday, July 17, 2010
ROGER WATERS"The Wall" LiveTuesday, October 19th at 8pm / Bell Centre - SOLD OUT

---------------
Monday, February 11, 2008
The 8 concerts are sold out!!

Following Saturday’s on sale of Céline Dion’s 2 added shows, Gillett Entertainment Group is extremely pleased to announce that both concerts are now sold out.

-------------

BEAST - December 15 sold out!

also

Quote:
To say Evenko is in expansion mode is an understatement.

Quebec's leading concert promoter produced 735 events in 2011, including 104 at the Bell Centre and another 631 in venues across Quebec and in Eastern Canada. The promoter - which is owned by the parent company of the Montreal Canadiens - sold 1.9 million tickets in the past year, up from 1.5 million tickets the year before. Evenko increased ticket sales in 2011 even though it produced slightly fewer shows, down from 800 events in 2010.

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/enter...#ixzz1kInMoqTc

Quote:
Part of that growth is coming via diversification. The top priority remains filling the Bell Centre when the Habs are not playing there

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/enter...#ixzz1kInpi64i

Old
01-23-2012, 11:23 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
U2 360° TOUR SOLD OUT. Saturday, July 17, 2010
ROGER WATERS"The Wall" LiveTuesday, October 19th at 8pm / Bell Centre - SOLD OUT

---------------
Monday, February 11, 2008
The 8 concerts are sold out!!

Following Saturday’s on sale of Céline Dion’s 2 added shows, Gillett Entertainment Group is extremely pleased to announce that both concerts are now sold out.

-------------

BEAST - December 15 sold out!

also

Obviously Bon Jovi is not only sell out. It's more of a joke, because he comes to bell center 2-3 times a year and always sells out.
U2 was not at the bell center. Celin Dion will always sell out. You can add a few dozen artists to that list, which will sell out the bell center. OBVIOUSLY.
I dont know why you brought in gillet into the convo, since it's not Evenko. So all your examples are Fail.
First, for a show, they can't even open up all the seats of the building, since you know, some will be watching the back of the stage.. so you lose seat capacity right there. 2nd, evenko is successful because they diversify by not only playing shows at Bell, but also other venues in MTL.

Also, when you have to book last minute, you have to see who's available. And those are not usually artists that will sell out.

Working at the bell center (doesnt matter what i do, its nothing important, just that i am around to observe shows/games) and just by observation, not all food stands/beer stands are open. Lodges are never filled comparatively to hockey games (you can tell when less then 1/2 staff that works in the lodges don't work on events...) and plenty of other details can be added.
Also, concert season is during the summer, not in April.

And that article talks exactly about how Evenko is building their might because of diversification; aka not relying on the bell center and the difficult task to offer quality shows and the risk of not selling enough tickets. Which happens.

You can also add, that most shows have a large amount of under-aged kids that don't bring in much money (mostly because they don't spend money on booze)

Last edited by uiCk: 01-23-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old
01-23-2012, 11:24 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
Give us 4 or 5 years like 1998-99 through 2002-03 and yeah, you'll probably see a dent in the number of tickets sold.

But this is one season
People in Montreal know when there been had....

They stood by the rebuild and GAINEY...
2003 HE PROFESSED 5 YEAR PLAN...THEN THE building sold out in 2004...HERE WE ARE NO MORE GAINEY as front man , FANS Bailing cause we're 9 years into a 5 year plan ...heading for last place

FROM 2007 AND NOTICE SAKU'S COMMENTS,who was RIGHT??? Gainey or Saku??

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/indepth/hockey-bob-gainey.html
Quote:
He had a five-year plan and if you look at [Montreal's young roster] he's sticking to it," said Montreal Gazette columnist Pat Hickey. "But I think the honeymoon period is over and he's expected to improve this team this year. There is going to be more pressure placed on Gainey to get the team back into the playoffs and get them past the first round."

Even long-time Montreal captain Saku Koivu created a minor stir in the off-season when he suggested the Canadiens were a playoff calibre team, but couldn't compete for the Cup - a statement Gainey refuted during the team's annual golf tournament in early September.

"I think we have a team that can make the playoffs - and if you make the playoffs, you have a chance to win the Cup," Gainey told reporters, pointing to the recent post-season runs by Calgary and Edmonton

Old
01-23-2012, 11:30 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Obviously Bon Jovi is not only sell out. It's more of a joke, because he comes to bell center 2-3 times a year and always sells out.
U2 was not at the bell center. Celin Dion will always sell out. You can add a few dozen artists to that list, which will sell out the bell center. OBVIOUSLY.
I dont know why you brought in gillet into the convo, since it's not Evenko. So all your examples are Fail.
First, for a show, they can't even open up all the seats of the building, since you know, some will be watching the back of the stage.. so you lose seat capacity right there. 2nd, evenko is successful because they diversify by not only playing shows at Bell, but also other venues in MTL.

Also, when you have to book last minute, you have to see who's available. And those are not usually artists that will sell out.

Working at the bell center (doesnt matter what i do, just that i am around to observe shows/games) and just by observation, not all food stands/beer stands are open. Lodges are never filled comparatively to hockey games (you can tell when less then 1/2 staff that works in the lodges don't work on events...) and plenty of other details can be added.
Also, concert season is during the summer, not in April.

And that article talks exactly about how Evenko is building their might because of diversification; aka not relying on the bell center and the difficult task to offer quality shows and the risk of not selling enough tickets. Which happens.
Evenko sold 1.9 million concert tickets last year..
what's avg concert ticket cost today? Is it 50 /60/ 85 dollars?
times that by 1.9 million.

Habs 41 home games x 21,273=872,193 tickets sold
times that by the by avg ticket price of a Habs game.

Interesting isn't it....?

Just funny to see it say Evenko focused on filling Bell when Habs aren't there...lol
I know i know .....but funny or ironic never the less...

Old
01-23-2012, 11:32 AM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlancHabs View Post
Not max capacity at a fan practice?
Not to big of a deal.
Get a young Vinnie-the-Horseman in there and it will fill up completely.

Old
01-23-2012, 11:34 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Evenko sold 1.9 million concert tickets last year..
what's avg concert ticket cost today? Is it 50 /60/ 85 dollars?
times that by 1.9 million.

Habs 41 home games x 21,273=872,193 tickets sold
times that by the by avg ticket price of a Habs game.

Interesting isn't it....?

Just funny to see it say Evenko focused on filling Bell when Habs aren't there...lol
I know i know .....but funny or ironic never the less...
Is that figure bell center only? because they have more shows outside the bell center. Go look at their calander, they have like 2-5 shows at bell center per month and about 20 others all over MTL.

It's pretty obvious that they want to fill the bell center when habs are not playing. That should be ANYONEs mission. It's not funny, nor ironic.

And evenko operates in around 68 diferent venues.
http://www.evenko.ca/en/show/venues

Last edited by uiCk: 01-23-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old
01-23-2012, 11:38 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Is that figure bell center only? because they have more shows outside the bell center. Go look at their calander, they have like 2-5 shows at bell center per month and about 20 others all over MTL.
No , it say 104 shows at Bell last year...so vs 41 hockey games
Looks to me atleast ,Evenko is raking in more than Habs? ...or close..

Forbes said Habs have Revenue $163 million.
Evenko selling 2 million concert tickets ,got to be darn near that figure ...

And there focus is to fill Bell Centre when Habs aren't there.

To bad they wouldn't focus HARDER on keeping the Habs in Bell Centre LONGER.

Old
01-23-2012, 11:42 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
No , it say 104 shows at Bell last year.
Looks to me atleast ,Evenko is raking in more than Habs? ...or close..

Forbes said Habs have Revenue $163 million.
Evenko selling 2 million concert tickets ,got to be darn near that figure ...

And there focus is to fill Bell Centre when Habs aren't there.

To bad they wouldn't focus HARDER on keeping the Habs in Bell Centre LONGER.
They are selling 2 million tickets, because they OPERATE IN 68 DIFFERENT VENUES. read your own links properly befor you write replies.

End of Convo.

For them to sell 2mil tickets over 104 events, that means they sold 18'000 seats PER EVENT. IMPOSSIBLE.

Old
01-23-2012, 11:43 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
That was before this though, this was like the straw that broke the camel'S back. http://tvanouvelles.ca/lcn/sports/no...19-214835.html
Even my closest, staunchest friends who are Francophone and want a French-speaking coach understand that Cunneyworth is an interim, and whoever is given the head coach duty should get a period of grace to adapt to the bilingual nature of our Canadiens.

If hiring an interim anglo coach is what it takes to break the back of these Francophones? Good riddance.

Old
01-23-2012, 11:46 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
They are selling 2 million tickets, because they OPERATE IN 68 DIFFERENT VENUES. read your own links properly befor you write replies.

End of Convo.
104 concerts shows at Bell Centre.....only 41 hockey games..

Even as you claim only 10.000 fans ON AVG show up for CONCERTS at Bell Centre, that is 1.04 million CONCERT tickets sold at Bell Centre.

41 Habs games= 872,000+ TICKETS SOLD.

what is your point?

I fully understand .

What I said is, it seems like EVENKO is pulling in as much, or more than Habs .....

Last edited by Habaneros: 01-23-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old
01-23-2012, 11:50 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:

what is your point?

I fully understand .

What i said is it seems like EVENKO is pulling in as much, or more than Habs .....
You have an arena that cost millions to make, and you're going to only use it 41 times a year, give or take playoffs?

You do know that the Amphitheatre in Quebec, which is being built to house a new NHL team, was designed to host these type of events too? These arena's like the BC and ACC in Toronto are cultural landmarks and not just reserved for a sports team. Other arenas welcome other sports, like in MSG where they have basketball games too.

This applies to ALL arenas in the league, and all the owners are making additional revenues (NOT PROFIT, REVENUE) off these activities.

Now, again, what is your point? The owner doesn't care about his team because Evenko is making him money? You do know that he has creditors to pay off due to the huge loan he took when he purchased the team? I think he cares more about his product than you do.

Old
01-23-2012, 11:53 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:

Even as you claim only 10.000 fan ON AVG show up for CONCERTS at Bell Centre, that is 1.04 million CONCERT tickets sold at Bell Centre.

41 Habs games= 872,000+ TICKETS SOLD.

what is your point?

I fully understand .

What I said is, it seems like EVENKO is pulling in as much, or more than Habs .....
i don;t know what my point is, got lost with all the numerous falacies you make. Having a headache just thinking about how idiotic some of your replies are, and trying to understand why i'm even bothering :/

10k tickets sold for an event is a success. The average is below that, thats for sure and majority of tickets are 40-50$. Only seats that cost more are floor seats, and max out at 200$, and is like 5% of seats sold. Compared to a hockey game where the 50$ seats are 10% maybe, and rest are 100$ +, lodges, desjardin zone etc. Then consider a PO game, where prices are raised, and lol not even Celine dion can make people spend more money then during PO game.

Old
01-23-2012, 11:54 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
You have an arena that cost millions to make, and you're going to only use it 41 times a year, give or take playoffs?

You do know that the Amphitheatre in Quebec, which is being built to house a new NHL team, was designed to host these type of events too? These arena's like the BC and ACC in Toronto are cultural landmarks and not just reserved for a sports team. Other arenas welcome other sports, like in MSG where they have basketball games too.

This applies to ALL arenas in the league, and all the owners are making additional revenues (NOT PROFIT, REVENUE) off these activities.

Now, again, what is your point? The owner doesn't care about his team because Evenko is making him money? You do know that he has creditors to pay off due to the huge loan he took when he purchased the team? I think he cares more about his product than you do.
Let this be clear.

MY POINT, is HOCKEY DOESN'T MATTER.
PLAYOFF HOCKEY DOESN'T MATTER.

They said it plain and very clear, EVENKO's focus is to FILL BELL when Habs are not there.....

If they are there? fine
IF NOT ?OH WELL he comes a singer at $80 a head...

One time hockey(winning) was NUMBER 1 ....the focus ...

Old
01-23-2012, 11:58 AM
Poulet Kostopoulos

My two years-old nephew recognizes the Canadiens logo and colors and refuses to take his Habs shirt off. So for the time being, the franchise's business is safe. Even the Molson can't screw this up that quickly.

Old
01-23-2012, 11:59 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

nm - delte

Old
01-23-2012, 11:59 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Let this be clear.

MY POINT, is HOCKEY DOESN'T MATTER.
PLAYOFF HOCKEY DOESN'T MATTER.

They said it plain and very clear, EVENKO focus is to FILL BELL when Habs are not there.....

If they are there? fine
IF NOT ?OH WELL he comes a singer at $80 a head...

One time hockey was NUMBER 1 ....
I don't know what to say.

Is this guy for real?

My last attempt at remaining civil:

a) Playoffs = more money than a concert
b) Playoffs = more media exposure = more money
c) Playoffs = more merchandise sales

You're trying to make a correlation via causation where there is none:

A: playoffs
B: Evenko events

B does not negate A
A affects B

Old
01-23-2012, 12:01 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Evenko is secondary to hockey at the bell center... Evenko is there to fill in the dead space in between the real money maker.
I think i just shown you a few posts above ,ENENKO likley sells MORE TICKETS at Bell than Habs ...

104 EVENKO concerts at BELL CENTRE last year...

only 41 NHL Hockey Games...plus a few playoff.

Figure it out,secondary?

Ya right .

Closed Thread