HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Running up scores

Old
01-23-2012, 07:25 PM
mapes

vCash: 500
The way I look at it is, if you don't want someone to run up the score, stop them from scoring. I never got the big deal, honestly, just dont celebrate like you just won in OT.

mapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 08:27 PM
Stickmata

Beer league is about ice time. If the clock is running you play hockey. I'm not going to stop playing just because the other team sucks and I don't expect teams better than us to stop trying either. As long as nobody is being totally dickish about it, there is no such thing as running up the score in beer league hockey. We're all big boys.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 09:03 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
Beer league is about ice time. If the clock is running you play hockey. I'm not going to stop playing just because the other team sucks and I don't expect teams better than us to stop trying either. As long as nobody is being totally dickish about it, there is no such thing as running up the score in beer league hockey. We're all big boys.
We are all big boys that also should know when good sportsmanship is more important than scoring goals. Sorry, but there's no reason to still be playing hard with a minute to go if your team has a 5+ goal lead.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 09:36 PM
mbeam

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
We are all big boys that also should know when good sportsmanship is more important than scoring goals. Sorry, but there's no reason to still be playing hard with a minute to go if your team has a 5+ goal lead.
For beer league, to me it depends on how the league handles realignment (or if it even has multiple divisions). We all pay to play. Being forced to hold back because the other team happens to not be very good or not be playing very well isn't fair to your team. Keep playing, don't celebrate, don't hot dog, and hopefully everyone understands that it's just a game.

mbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 10:53 PM
nystromshairstylist
Scoring at will

Late in a game we were up by 7 or 8 goals, I skated ahead of everyone on a breakaway and as I approached the goalie, just skated off to one of the corners and left the puck there. As I skated back towards the neutral zone I nodded to the other teams' bench as a sign of respect.

While I may be new to hockey, running up scores is a serious no-no as per my "original" sport of basketball, and I cannot help but carry over some of that sport's aspects to hockey.

No one on my team said anything, but I think they understood my intentions (maybe it helped that I was the captain).

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 11:14 PM
mbeam

Quote:
Originally Posted by nystromshairstylist View Post
Late in a game we were up by 7 or 8 goals, I skated ahead of everyone on a breakaway and as I approached the goalie, just skated off to one of the corners and left the puck there. As I skated back towards the neutral zone I nodded to the other teams' bench as a sign of respect.

While I may be new to hockey, running up scores is a serious no-no as per my "original" sport of basketball, and I cannot help but carry over some of that sport's aspects to hockey.

No one on my team said anything, but I think they understood my intentions (maybe it helped that I was the captain).
This happened to me in a game where I was playing for a friends' team because they just happened to be short benched. I was playing below my level and I knew it, but the score wasn't out of hand and I wasn't going out there to put up points. Anyways, I had a clear cut breakaway, went in, and just took a shot that the goalie got a piece of with his glove but it trickled in anyways.
I knew the goalie as a player (it was his first year playing in net) and after the game he expressed to me that he felt I shouldn't have taken the break away and should have just dumped the puck into the corner (it was a 2-0 game at that point for us, I believe). To me, that would have been so much more insulting than just going in and taking a (what i thought was ) simple shot at the goalie. Am I alone on this? As a player, I always hated it when other teams visibly went out of their way NOT to score - it just seemed like a huge ego trip to me. Maybe I'm alone on this

ps. playing ball hockey one year there was this one team that was miles above everyone else but there was only one division. They would beat everyone by at least 5 goals, usually more like 8. One game they were beating us quite handedly, 7-2 or something of that nature and they did two bonehead things that I would urge people NEVER to do:
1) all alone on their breakout, they passed me the ball right in their slot when no one was within 25 feet of me and i wasn't anywhere near checking them. I was so insulted that I just rolled my eyes and passed the ball softly to the goalie (he opened his legs and let it in and I was very pissed off)
2) a few times they turned around and fired slapshots at their own goalie.

I would say those were the two biggest ******** things I've ever seen a team whose up in a blowout do.

Old
01-23-2012, 11:24 PM
stupendousman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nystromshairstylist View Post

I don't know. If someone did that to my team I'd be pretty pissed about it. I'd rather you just take a shot than visibly handle us with kiddy gloves. As long as you're not celebrating like you've won the Stanley Cup after every time you score I would be fine with that on the losing end of a blowout. It would be frustrating to play, but I would be fine with it.

I was blown out two different times on two different teams. The first time was the team's second game ever and we were clearly playing someone above our tier (they were eventually tiered up 3 tiers). They beat us something like 14-4. But after their 6th goal or so they just stopped celebrating scoring, but they didn't stop playing.

The second time, I was playing in a different league and we were losing 7-2, but the other team kept celebrating with high-fives and loud cheers after every goal. So me and my defence partner just stepped up a couple times on the blue-line and flattened their forwards. We started a ruckus though after the second big hit

stupendousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 11:38 PM
nystromshairstylist
Scoring at will

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupendousman View Post
I don't know. If someone did that to my team I'd be pretty pissed about it. I'd rather you just take a shot than visibly handle us with kiddy gloves. As long as you're not celebrating like you've won the Stanley Cup after every time you score I would be fine with that on the losing end of a blowout. It would be frustrating to play, but I would be fine with it.
In a fastbreak in basketball, I can just stop at the 3-point line and take a bomb from the corner, which is usually considered a general sign that I was not really looking to score and rub it in. In hockey, dumping/dropping the puck off is the only method I could think of that would be equivalent...?

In the game, there was only about 3-4 minutes left in the 3rd, and I had basically ordered everyone not to score, so I did not want to look like a ass if I myself scored. Also, we were a new team in the league and I was uncertain of the competition, and did not want it getting out that we were dicks.

I know what you mean about being "pampered", some of the higher-level players often still do that to me in open hockey and I'm past the point of wanting to be backed off and given lots of room to skate, like I'm some non-threatening turtle floating around. I'd rather them come after me full-bore, it will force me to get better on my puck-handling.

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 08:18 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeam View Post
For beer league, to me it depends on how the league handles realignment (or if it even has multiple divisions). We all pay to play. Being forced to hold back because the other team happens to not be very good or not be playing very well isn't fair to your team. Keep playing, don't celebrate, don't hot dog, and hopefully everyone understands that it's just a game.
Again, I'm not talking about just passing and dumping for the entire 3rd period. With a minute to go in a blowout there's no reason to keep the pedal to the metal.

Old
01-24-2012, 11:11 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If I'm paying good money to play hockey, I want to play hockey, no matter what the score. I've been on the wrong end of a blowout a few times and felt no ill will towards the other team.

Hell, a few weeks ago we lost 8-2, giving up 5 goals in the third, and I thought it was a pretty well played game.

Had a scrimmage around the same time that the other guys brought in a few teens who were several levels above us and while a lot of guys on my team were upset I thought it was a great challenge. If he scores, who cares, but if I stop him, that's a victory for me.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 12:30 PM
mbeam

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Again, I'm not talking about just passing and dumping for the entire 3rd period. With a minute to go in a blowout there's no reason to keep the pedal to the metal.
I understand what you're saying and I agree that I would probably not be playing too hard by that point. But with that said, If I pay to play and I get a chance to score, I'll take it. If it's a blowout I'm not celebrating.

Old
01-24-2012, 01:15 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeam View Post
I understand what you're saying and I agree that I would probably not be playing too hard by that point. But with that said, If I pay to play and I get a chance to score, I'll take it. If it's a blowout I'm not celebrating.
I understand what you are saying as well. In the game I was talking about it was 7-0 with about 3 minutes to go and the play was behind my net. Little did I know that a player from the other team was having a cup of coffee at the top of the crease with not a single player on my team near him, there was a centering pass and he tapped it in before I even had time to react. He looked like he was about to apologize and I just tapped his shoulder and smiled.

Old
01-25-2012, 03:06 AM
OrrNumber4

I'll say this honestly, one thing that sucks about being a goalie is that even when your team is destroying the opposition, you can't really relax.

Back when I played D, I was one of guys who dialed it in when we were up by a lot or down by a lot. Didn't want to waste my energy. I also was a full-time student at that point and had little pro-aspirations.

As a rec-league goalie, blowouts are far more frequent, but even if you are up 9-0, it is really obvious when you are slacking off.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 07:20 AM
shawn1331

My varsity team just got beat 16-3. They were still going hard in the 3rd. Weird thing was we beat the team that blew them out a week before?

shawn1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 09:54 AM
Stickmata

On a related point, if you're routinely playing in blowouts, your league is doing a poor job of ranking teams. In a 25 game season here, I might play in one even remotely blowout game, and it'll be 8-2 or 8-3 and typically because one team had very few players show up.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 12:00 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

I'm only not okay with it when it's youth teams under 12 years old. Anyone older than that should be able to deal with the fact that it's a sport and you should put your best foot forward no matter how mismatched things are.

In fact, the league I play in has a policy of keeping the scoreboard goal differential at no more than six. So if a team is winning 8-0 the board only shows 6-0. This annoys the **** out of me because then as soon as you score instead of being 6-1 it goes to 7-1. (We've been blown out several times this season).

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 12:08 PM
Erz8771

vCash: 100
I think maturity has a lot to do with this.

Erz8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 12:52 PM
nyk16
Rookie User

Agree that maturity has a lot to do with this. There's no excuse IMO to be running up the score after, say, a comfortable 6 goal lead if you are playing a team that is clearly below you in skill level. Paying good $ to get to play has nothing to do with it.

It's a classy, polite move, and not a big deal to ease up on the other team if your'e spanking them.

People who run up the score are only thinking of themselves and their stats. Unfortunately, there's too many of those types in beer league hockey.

nyk16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 01:00 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyk16 View Post
Agree that maturity has a lot to do with this. There's no excuse IMO to be running up the score after, say, a comfortable 6 goal lead if you are playing a team that is clearly below you in skill level. Paying good $ to get to play has nothing to do with it.

It's a classy, polite move, and not a big deal to ease up on the other team if your'e spanking them.

People who run up the score are only thinking of themselves and their stats. Unfortunately, there's too many of those types in beer league hockey.
Sometimes you just never know. This was inline hockey, but last season for us we went down 4-0 within 5 minutes. We came out slowly, they were faster, and they took advantage of the dumb mistakes we made. However, we did end up winning by 2 goals. Of course there's no way to tell how the game would've gone if they'd been up by 6 goals instead of 4, but we did come back to win by 2 when they didn't let off the gas.

Then again we weren't cleary out of their league as you put it, so maybe that makes it a non-point. What's odd is a week or so prior to the above game, we played the same team and they put us down 4-0 rather quickly again. And again, we came back and won, so they knew what we were capable of.

Ozz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 03:20 PM
noobman

Running up the score in a beer league (and perhaps moreso celebrating like you just scored in the SCF) is a good way to start a bunch of scrums and brawls. You never know when some idiot who takes it too seriously might clock you for the hell of it after your triple hat trick. If I'm ever playing against outclassed opponents (which means they learned skating yesterday) I just focus on making the passing play. There's more fun to hockey than just scoring goal after goal after goal. If you're doing really well, maybe switch up the lines and let the forward play D and vice versa, insofar as it does not jeopardize your chances of winning.

In a true competitive environment I see no problem with it. Young players are looking to move up in the ranks and need to put up good stats and give a good impression in games to do it. I don't think any scout is going to give a young player extra credit for taking his foot off the pedal in a high scoring game and no player is going to appreciate a coach who told him to slow it down for the sake of "not running the score" after it cost him a chance to move from AA to AAA.

Most house leagues will have a mercy rule, ensuring that no more than 4-6 goal spread exists between the two teams. I've been in games where we've been blown or out have blown out the other team something like 16-3, but the final score and individual stat sheet only accounted for the first 8 goals... so I don't think it matters too much.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 03:40 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansfield View Post
I'm only not okay with it when it's youth teams under 12 years old. Anyone older than that should be able to deal with the fact that it's a sport and you should put your best foot forward no matter how mismatched things are.
Good point. Youth coaches should definitely manage their players to avoid running up the score. And tourneys should never have unlimited goal differential for tie breakers.

For adults...I just play like I do for pickup hockey...I try but I'm not hustling too hard. When I get the puck I'm going to try and score, but I ain't going hard into corners or anything.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 05:45 PM
7toZulu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
It's a game, it's always been a game and it will still be a game when we're dead.
Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside haha

7toZulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 07:43 PM
ean

You can do anything you want as long as you're prepared to get it back. That's my beer league motto.

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 08:38 PM
HabsIslesFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
I just played in a Mens tournament that made Goals Against the deciding tie breaker. This made it less likely teams would try to run it up.

There was a team in the tourney that had a curfew, wore ties, no booze...they took it seriously, and would still run the score up anyway. They won, but only because my team was still wiping off stripper glitter from our faces when we walked into the rink...and it was 4OT in the final...oh, and I made sure their captain knew how everyone else in the tourney felt about them when I puked on his skates during a faceoff in the 3rd OT..... beer during the game = bad idea, it doesn't count as a carbo load . Also, we had waaaayyyy more fun , and the winner only got 300 bucks.
Who goes to a beer league tourney with ties curfews and no booze? These tourneys are all about stayin up all weekend and getting absolutely s*** face drunk and havin fun.

Can't believe that you puked on their captains skates that is amazing!

HabsIslesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 11:40 PM
LateNightOilerFan

I don't mind running up scores, it's the celebrating that gets people upset - on the ice and in the stands (if you have a crowd). My son's high school team is having a tough year, the school hasn't had a team for a while and none of them have played HS before. Alot of the other teams have Grade 12's who played Major Midget the last couple years. So they're pretty outmatched and the scores are pretty lopsided - I think the worse has been 14-1 or something like that. Haven't won a game yet and the season's almost over.

Anyway, it's wearing kind of thin but most nights they're not giving up and they knew going in it would be tough, but what's been hard to take has been when the other team is still celebrating after goal # 7 or 8 against (even going down to high five their goalie), or when you still have some parent in the stands clanging on a bell to celebrate after goal #12 against. That's been just lovely to deal with.

LateNightOilerFan is offline   Reply With Quote