HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Perron-Backes-Oshie

Old
01-22-2012, 11:00 PM
Chicago Blues

vCash: 500
Perron-Backes-Oshie

You think Hitch begins tomorrow's game with Perron-Backes-Oshie on the same line knowing how important "the race to 3" will be tomorrow and how poorly every other line combo has executed on scoring chances? Or do you think he starts the game with the usual?

I personally am hoping for P-B-O the entire game, they are sick on PS3 together .

I guess some of it might depend on whether Steen makes his return. Although, I would still like to see the P-B-O combo even if Steen returns.

Chicago Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:08 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Blues View Post
You think Hitch begins tomorrow's game with Perron-Backes-Oshie on the same line knowing how important "the race to 3" will be tomorrow and how poorly every other line combo has executed on scoring chances? Or do you think he starts the game with the usual?

I personally am hoping for P-B-O the entire game, they are sick on PS3 together .

I guess some of it might depend on whether Steen makes his return. Although, I would still like to see the P-B-O combo even if Steen returns.
It might be easier to justify putting those 3 together if Steen is back, to bolster the other 2 "scoring lines".

Last edited by Robb_K: 01-23-2012 at 01:04 AM.
Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:09 PM
h22prelude93

Quote:

Even if Steen returns tomorrow night, I doubt Hitch breaks up the P-B-O line right away. I imagine Steen would be given 3rd or 2nd line minutes at best. But, you never know...Hitchcock has an awful lot of confidence in Steen. He said he's one player he never really has to talk to...he just shows up and does his job. That said, as good as Perron has been on the P-B-O line, eventually I'd like to see Steen reunited with Backes and Osh. I just love the two-way ability of that line, and I think moving Perron opens up more options for your secondary scoring.

h22prelude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:13 PM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

vCash: 380
Think BOP sounds better than PBO but hey lol.

I would play Alex Steen with Patrick Berglund. Steen lead the team in shots and he might just be the right guy to get Bergie (and Stewart for that matter) going.

Either way I would expect that Detroit is going to smashed in the face with a very heavy dose of David Backes and TJ Oshie.

Dolph Ziggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:14 PM
Chicago Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by h22prelude93 View Post
Even if Steen returns tomorrow night, I doubt Hitch breaks up the P-B-O line right away. I imagine Steen would be given 3rd or 2nd line minutes at best. But, you never know...Hitchcock has an awful lot of confidence in Steen. He said he's one player he never really has to talk to...he just shows up and does his job. That said, as good as Perron has been on the P-B-O line, eventually I'd like to see Steen reunited with Backes and Osh. I just love the two-way ability of that line, and I think moving Perron opens up more options for your secondary scoring.

Spot on as usual.

Old
01-22-2012, 11:30 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Spot on as usual-on Perron joining Berglund and Stewart.
Perron could draw defenders to himself, leaving more room for Berglund and Stewart to operate (and maybe move towards the net for a feed from Perron or to set a screen, and/or tip in a shot, or knock in a rebound (hint...hint!) message to Berglund & Stewart).

Still and all, I've not been very happy with Berglund's and Stewart's play together.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:34 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
Perron could draw defenders to himself, leaving more room for Berglund and Stewart to operate (and maybe move towards the net for a feed from Perron or to set a screen, and/or tip in a shot, or knock in a rebound (hint...hint!) message to Berglund & Stewart).

Still and all, I've not been very happy with Berglund's and Stewart's play together.
I'm thinking Steen would have the similar effect as Backes and could be able to "drag" Berglund and Stewart along. If not, the 2nd line will be in need of upgrading for the rest of the season and playoffs.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:46 PM
h22prelude93

If Perron is moved back to Berglund's line...then I'd really like to see him played again on the right side. If you guys remember...that worked really well in the past. I think their goal totals both would improve if this happens as they are allowed to set-up easier and get their shots off much quicker...Maybe you move Stewart to 3rd line or even try him on their left side until McDonald returns...couldn't hurt to try right?

Old
01-22-2012, 11:48 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

Quote:
If Perron is moved back to Berglund's line...then I'd really like to see him played again on the right side. If you guys remember...that worked really well in the past. I think their goal totals both would improve if this happens as they are allowed to set-up easier and get their shots off much quicker...Perhaps you move Stewart to 3rd line or even try him on their left until McDonald returns...couldn't hurt to try right?
Who plays the left on that line and on the Backes line?

Old
01-23-2012, 12:00 AM
h22prelude93

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Who plays the left on that line and on the Backes line?
Steen plays on the left of the Backes line, and I was proposing maybe try Stewart on the left side of the Berglund line until McDonald returns.

So something like this..

Steen-Backes-Oshie
Stewy-Berglund-Perron
Sobotka-Arnott-D'Ags
Crombeen-Nichol-Lang

Or if Stewy can't play on the left...

Steen-Backes-Oshie
Sobotka-Berglund-Perron
D'Ags-Arnott-Stewart
Crombeen-Nichol-Lang

Old
01-23-2012, 12:31 AM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

Quote:
Steen plays on the left of the Backes line, and I was proposing maybe try Stewart on the left side of the Berglund line until McDonald returns.

So something like this..

Steen-Backes-Oshie
Stewy-Berglund-Perron
Sobotka-Arnott-D'Ags
Crombeen-Nichol-Lang

Or if Stewy can't play on the left...

Steen-Backes-Oshie
Sobotka-Berglund-Perron
D'Ags-Arnott-Stewart
Crombeen-Nichol-Lang
I think the 2nd option is more likely, but either way it makes more people play out of their natural position, so I don't know if Hitch is going to do it. When McDonald comes back, I think it has to happen. One of Steen, McDonald, and Perron will have to play that 2nd RW spot. Steen could play one the 3rd and hopefully have results like in the beginning of the season, but personally I hope he stays in the top 6 and Stewart stays on the 3rd. If by some miracle Stewart regains his play, he can move up to the 2nd and Steen can play the 3rd.

Old
01-23-2012, 12:52 AM
h22prelude93

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
I think the 2nd option is more likely, but either way it makes more people play out of their natural position, so I don't know if Hitch is going to do it. When McDonald comes back, I think it has to happen. One of Steen, McDonald, and Perron will have to play that 2nd RW spot. Steen could play one the 3rd and hopefully have results like in the beginning of the season, but personally I hope he stays in the top 6 and Stewart stays on the 3rd. If by some miracle Stewart regains his play, he can move up to the 2nd and Steen can play the 3rd.
Actually both of those lines have about as many players playing out of position that already are now. And there's no way you keep Steen on the 3rd line. I wouldn't be surprised if he plays 2nd line minutes his first night back. Notice Perron had around 19 minutes his first night back against Chi-town, and we all know how long he was out. I think Hitch likes to test his new players.

Old
01-23-2012, 01:01 AM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

Quote:
Actually both of those lines have about as many players playing out of position that already are now. And there's no way you keep Steen on the 3rd line. I wouldn't be surprised if he plays 2nd line minutes his first night back. Notice Perron had around 19 minutes his first night back against Chi-town, and we all know how long he was out. I think Hitch likes to test his new players.
The thing with Steen is he gets production no matter what line he is one. He will get his minutes with his PP time and on the PK, sot that isn't really an issue. If we keep the top line together, put McDonald with Berglund and someone, and have Steen on the 3rd, we have potential for 3 balanced scoring lines barring any injuries.

With everyone healthy we are built very similarly to Boston, we just need everyone healthy at the same time, which for this team, it can be asking a lot.

Old
01-23-2012, 01:28 AM
h22prelude93

Steen averages over 15 minutes even strength time per game...higher than every forward other than David Backes. Again, there is no way that Hitchcock plays Steen on his 3rd line. And yeah that would be amazing to see a full roster...Imagine the possibilities. Just for fun, what do you guys think those lines could possibly look like?

Steen-Backes-Oshie
Amac-Berglund-Perron
Sobotka-Arnott-Stewart
D'Ags-Nichol-Lang/Crombeen

Jackman-Pietro
Cola-Shattenkirk
Huskins-Polak
/Russell

Halak
Elliott

Old
01-23-2012, 01:28 AM
Chicago Blues

Any thoughts on putting Arnott on the 2nd line with Sobotka and Perron? Arnott's been playing great and producing offense. It would also lead to the all misfit 3rd line of Stew-Berg-D'Ags - almost worth it so we all know who to ****** at!

Old
01-23-2012, 01:29 AM
Chicago Blues

Quote:
Steen averages over 15 minutes even strength time per game...higher than every forward other than David Backes. Again, there is no way that Hitchcock plays Steen on his 3rd line. And yeah that would be amazing to see a full roster...Imagine the possibilities. Just for fun, what do you guys think those lines could possibly look like?

Steen-Backes-Oshie
Amac-Berglund-Perron
Sobotka-Arnott-Stewart
D'Ags-Nichol-Lang/Crombeen

Jackman-Pietro
Cola-Shattenkirk
Huskins-Polak
/Russell

Halak
Elliott
I know cap will play a role and that this is off subject, but picture it with Tarasenko and Shwarz

Old
01-23-2012, 01:47 AM
h22prelude93

Quote:
Any thoughts on putting Arnott on the 2nd line with Sobotka and Perron? Arnott's been playing great and producing offense. It would also lead to the all misfit 3rd line of Stew-Berg-D'Ags - almost worth it so we all know who to ****** at!
I think it would be a matter of can Arnott play on the 2nd line? He's in a great shape, but he's also a big guy approaching retirement. And if you look at his stats about half his points come directly from the power play. It's definitely an idea worth checking out, but I'm not so sure it could be a long-term fix. If you want Arnott to have better line-mates...I think your best bet is bringing guys down for the top 6...which btw we should have no problem doing once Steen and McDonald return. I do like the idea of Arnott and Perron though...It seems like they've had some chemistry together, and especially like how they've worked together on the PP. Seems Arnott has taking a liking to the little french canadian. Perhaps DP could be moved down to the 3rd line when McDonald returns. That seems like a good idea to spread out the scoring some. It's a thought.
Quote:
I know cap will play a role and that this is off subject, but picture it with Tarasenko and Shwarz
Yikes! I honestly wouldn't even know where to start.

Old
01-23-2012, 03:17 AM
CitizenSnips
TheFightingMongooses

Quote:
i think tank comes next year and jaden the year after. that being said, there is obviously not going to be room for some of the current players. i think the better of langs and arnott gets another 1 year deal and we make that room for tank with jaden following the year after. we will have to see how some of the other players pan out and if they stick around (see nichol, bj, etc)

CitizenSnips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 07:09 AM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenSnips View Post
i think tank comes next year and jaden the year after. that being said, there is obviously not going to be room for some of the current players. i think the better of langs and arnott gets another 1 year deal and we make that room for tank with jaden following the year after. we will have to see how some of the other players pan out and if they stick around (see nichol, bj, etc)
It was reported during the WJC, that Schwartz is expected to go pro next season.

Old
01-23-2012, 08:00 AM
BDEuph
Hotty Toddy

I'm down with OPB...yeah you know me!!!

BDEuph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 08:43 AM
jimmykay

I know that line combinations are all just for fun. But isn't Perron a LW and has always played on the LW? In fact, isn't he pretty much our only true LWer?

jimmykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 09:13 AM
Sushiko
Damn Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDEuph View Post
I'm down with OPB...yeah you know me!!!
Awesome!

I'm not getting my hopes up about Steen being back; seems like everytime I think he might be back in it, he's not.

Sushiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 10:02 AM
bluesman11
Robert Johnson

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post

I agree with this but when everyone's back and if they still haven't picked it up yet. I would move them to the third line for a few games, I believe Hitch would have tried this already if he had an obvious choice to play center on the second line. Which he does but it breaks up his first and overall best line S-B-O.

bluesman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 02:59 PM
h22prelude93

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmykay View Post
I know that line combinations are all just for fun. But isn't Perron a LW and has always played on the LW? In fact, isn't he pretty much our only true LWer?
Perron usually plays leftwing, but he also used to play on the right side in early Blues days, and he is in fact right-handed. He does great on the left, but I think him playing on the right side would make it easier for him to get his shot off, and I feel like Berglund could benefit from having a playmaker on his right side instead guys like Stewart who are more shooters than playmakers. I doubt it happens, but it never hurts to switch things up, and of course none of that could happen until at least Steen returns.

Old
01-23-2012, 03:05 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

Quote:
Perron usually plays leftwing, but he also used to play on the right side in early Blues days, and he is in fact right-handed. He does great on the left, but I think him playing on the right side would make it easier for him to get his shot off, and I feel like Berglund could benefit from having a playmaker on his right side instead guys like Stewart who are more shooters than playmakers. I doubt it happens, but it never hurts to switch things up, and of course none of that could happen until at least Steen returns.
He's one of those players that prefers playing on his off hand side. He is right handed, but you are seeing it more in Hockey and Soccer, that lefties like playing on the right wing and righties like playing on the left wing. It allows them to cut across the ice and get their shot off that way. Perron being more of a playmaker is able to play the half boards and make the cross ice passes that he loves to do. I think Perron on the left wing fits his playing style the best. Although either him, Steen, or McDonald is going to have to play on the right when everyone gets healthy.