HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Top Five Crowds in the NHL?

Old
01-23-2012, 11:22 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Feel free to refute anything that I actually said.

Half a season isn't going to remove the "novelty" factor. Hell, Columbus' attendance didn't start to suffer until about the 8th year, and that was after a lockout and with no playoff appearances.
Actually, what he said is true. But it's completely understandable for you to not give Winnipeg any credit considering the circumstances. It's all good bro.

Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 11:23 PM
Hockeyfan2390

vCash: 500
Not in order.

1. Montreal
2. Detroit
3. NYR
4. Philadelphia
5. Winnipeg (they're nuts for hockey)

Hockeyfan2390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 11:23 PM
Hockeyfan2390

Kinda funny how Winnipeg has a ridiculously loud crowd but by far the lowest arena capacity.

Hockeyfan2390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 11:45 PM
White Pine

vCash: 432
Montreal's great, The coolest thing about that place is that you can feel the emotion so much during the game, it really sounds as though the arena's alive.

Leafs aren't great but their road crowds tend to be good.

Now, I'm not saying Ottawa has the best crowd (though they clearly care about the team), but I think the roof blew off the place after Eberle's world junior goal, and the crowd was amazing in overtime. (That's the thing about WJC; After that game I saw this insanely quiet, boring Leafs/Sens game, and the announcers were raving about how great a game it was. Everything seems boring after WJC)

Winnipeg, well, we'll see how they are in the future. Was it like this pre-96 or was it just the square echoey arena? In any case, the energy is clearly at a high this season. I think it's here to stay, as it helps the team win, and I think the fans know it.

I lack US knowledge and therefore can't comment on US rinks.

White Pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 11:50 PM
EverybodyLovesRay

Not in order:

Detroit
Winnipeg
Philadelphia
Nashville
San Jose/Rangers

EverybodyLovesRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 11:53 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
Actually, what he said is true. But it's completely understandable for you to not give Winnipeg any credit considering the circumstances. It's all good bro.
Please, tell me what these circumstances are that you refer to.

I may be many things, but one thing I am not is spiteful for the sake of being spiteful.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 12:02 AM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
Calgary in the playoffs is pretty hard to stop. C of Red for life.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 12:03 AM
ProbiWonKenobi
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVShark View Post
1 San Jose
2 Calgary
3 Montreal
4 Minnesota
5 Winnipeg

Detroit was the biggest disappointment. When I went to a wings game. When the players come out to start the game, the fans don't even stand up to cheer for them. Another thing is that when the Wings score only about half the fans actually stand up to cheer.
Wow. What game were you at? I've literally seen 20,066 fans rise up faster in the Joe than anywhere else.

Also. Are we just talking about home crowds? I've heard a lot of "Let's Go Red Wings" chants in a lot of opponents' arenas.

My home crowd list would be:
1. Montreal
2. Winnipeg
3. Philly
4. Chicago
5. Detroit

If we're talking road crowd
1. Toronto/Detroit
2. Everyone else

ProbiWonKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 12:12 AM
The Bob Cole
Ohhhh Baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProbiWonKenobi View Post
Wow. What game were you at? I've literally seen 20,066 fans rise up faster in the Joe than anywhere else.

Also. Are we just talking about home crowds? I've heard a lot of "Let's Go Red Wings" chants in a lot of opponents' arenas.

My home crowd list would be:
1. Montreal
2. Winnipeg
3. Philly
4. Chicago
5. Detroit

If we're talking road crowd
1. Toronto/Detroit
2. Everyone else
Montreal and Vancouver would have something to say about those road crowds...

The Bob Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 12:17 AM
ProbiWonKenobi
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Lui View Post
Montreal and Vancouver would have something to say about those road crowds...
Vancouver isn't even loud in their own building

No two teams have road fan bases like Toronto and Detroit.

Old
01-24-2012, 12:30 AM
Aerial

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuozzi View Post
Were the Jets as noisy the last time around, or is part of the enthusiasm due to getting the team back?
During playoffs and big games, yes. As for now... the current level in the MTS Centre is certainly part novelty, and it'll cool off a bit and settle down. Already has a tad.

That said, I expect we'll always have a very loud crowd -- just sort of a Winnipeg thing. Same deal with the Bombers, even through some of their extremely losing seasons. And it's not like we have much else to put our energy towards in the middle of winter.

Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 12:49 AM
BourqueBourqueBork

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardbluesfan View Post
I was in Nashville for the Blues game, and their fans really only get loud when they score which should be expected. And there were a TON of Blues fans there too, this was on a Saturday night too.

Their crowd is pretty good for a southern team, but it's not top 5, not really close imo.
Are we talking the Blues game that went to a SO? The one that was basically a boring and scoreless for 55 minutes of game time?

The fans get loud if the team is playing well in a tight game....but that was a ****show. I wouldn't say that one game was a good sample of what you get out of our fans. The Philly and Chicago Saturday games (with lots of opposing fans in those, too) had a very loud and rowdy home crowd.

BourqueBourqueBork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 01:00 AM
Iron Chef

In no particular order

San Jose - If the Sharks ever make the Cup Finals, it will be absolutely deafening
Washington - Before this season, their crowd was very engaged. I love when they announce the other teams goal over the PA, everyone yells in unison "WHO CARES?!"
Nashville - Love their goal celebrations and chants
Flyers - Rabid fan base
Montreal - They have the advantage of having the most capacity in the NHL, but nonetheless, a hockey mecca

Honorable Mention: Winnipeg. If they are still as loud after a couple of years, then they'll crack my top 5.

Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 01:03 AM
VanCanucks14

Quote:

Like said before, Vancouver isn't the loudest arena and there are reasons for that but our fans travel REAL well. Definitely one of the best for that.

VanCanucks14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 01:05 AM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:

Thats cause most of the die hards can't afford tickets.

We take over La, Ana, Phx & have good groups of fans at SJ games.

ex:

Scottrockztheworld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 01:06 AM
StreetSharks
#19 Joe Trollton

vCash: 327
I think Dallas is underrated for being a team way down south.

I understand this was in the playoffs AND against the sharks () But still, they have a solid crowd.

StreetSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 01:09 AM
alcoraces

Quote:

Vancouver's home crowds are quiet. Their road crowds are anything but. It never used to be like that, this is a fairly recent thing. But it actually saves money sometimes for a family of four to travel to Phoenix for the weekend and take in a Canucks game than it is to attend one in Vancouver.

Toronto, Detroit, Montreal, Rangers, Chicago and Boston will always have huge road fan bases.

alcoraces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 01:20 AM
Armond White
Go Sabres!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSharks View Post

I understand this was in the playoffs AND against the sharks () But still, they have a solid crowd.

They don't draw very well at all down there. Nah.

Armond White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 01:25 AM
diehardbluesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Are we talking the Blues game that went to a SO? The one that was basically a boring and scoreless for 55 minutes of game time?

The fans get loud if the team is playing well in a tight game....but that was a ****show. I wouldn't say that one game was a good sample of what you get out of our fans. The Philly and Chicago Saturday games (with lots of opposing fans in those, too) had a very loud and rowdy home crowd.
Maybe for the Predators as the Blues dominated that game, but for some reason can't figure out Rinne. That was my first game live there since they first came into the league which then it wasn't crowded at all.

I don't think Philly or Chicago had as many fans in there as the Blues did that night (Dec 17). Every where I turned I saw multiple Blues fans. The Blues invaded Bridgestone that night.

They never had any chants besides after their goal which last about 5-10 seconds after the play began. The fact that the crowd couldn't even say Halak's name right either makes me wonder about the knowledge of the fans. Don't even get me started about the TooToo whistles.

diehardbluesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 01:34 AM
ProbiWonKenobi
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSharks View Post

I've been to AAC (and old Reunion Arena) multiple times for Wings games, and almost half of the fans were Wings fans. Even during the 2008 WCF. In all fairness though, there are a lot of Michigan transplants in Texas...and a lot of them will cheer for the Stars except when the Wings are in town.

Old
01-24-2012, 01:37 AM
BourqueBourqueBork

Quote:
Maybe for the Predators as the Blues dominated that game, but for some reason can't figure out Rinne. That was my first game live there since they first came into the league which then it wasn't crowded at all.

I don't think Philly or Chicago had as many fans in there as the Blues did that night (Dec 17). Every where I turned I saw multiple Blues fans. The Blues invaded Bridgestone that night.

They never had any chants besides after their goal which last about 5-10 seconds after the play began. The fact that the crowd couldn't even say Halak's name right either makes me wonder about the knowledge of the fans. Don't even get me started about the TooToo whistles.
I was at the game. There were a good number of Blows fans, but no, they didn't "invade." Philly had more fans. Chicago probably had twice as many. I went to all 3 of those.

We didn't have any chants and couldn't say Halak's name right? We're not as knowledgeable as the retards that came down from St. Louis? LMFAO, Ok. Sounds a lot like bitterness from a fan who can't stand losing to us.

Your fans are classless asshats. Shut up. Next time one of you retards says "home of the Blows" during the National Anthem, I'm going to punch you in your unpatriotic face.

Old
01-24-2012, 01:44 AM
diehardbluesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
I was at the game. There were a good number of Blows fans, but no, they didn't "invade." Philly had more fans. Chicago probably had twice as many. I went to all 3 of those.

We didn't have any chants and couldn't say Halak's name right? We're not as knowledgeable as the retards that came down from St. Louis? LMFAO, Ok. Sounds a lot like bitterness from a fan who can't stand losing to us.

Your fans are classless asshats. Shut up. Next time one of you retards says "home of the Blows" during the National Anthem, I'm going to punch you in your unpatriotic face.
Lol, I highly doubt there were more Philly fans, maybe Chicago fans.

I didn't hear any chants besides the "were gonna beat the hell out of you" after you scored, very classy. You completely butchered Halaks name too, making all the fans at the game look like complete idiots, not to mention the idiots around us that sound punching a guy in the face is part of the game.

Wait, how are we "classless?" Because we sang during the National Anthem?

Why you so mad? I don't hate Nashville or anything because they've given me no reason too as they haven't really done much or been in the league long enough for me to hate them. I just made a comment about my visit to your arena, that the fans weren't very loud or knowledgeable.

diehardbluesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 01:55 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberSoul View Post
Thats cause most of the die hards can't afford tickets.

We take over La, Ana, Phx & have good groups of fans at SJ games.

ex:

I'm old enough to remember the days of the coliseum and vancouver wasn't known to be all that loud then either. Not saying they were sitting on their hands either but it's never been a market known for a consistently electric atmosphere

As for the travelling fans, they tend to be loud and proud no matter which fanbase it is. Its almost as if they take it on as a challenge to make sure their voices are heard.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 01:57 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
I've been to AAC (and old Reunion Arena) multiple times for Wings games, and almost half of the fans were Wings fans. Even during the 2008 WCF. In all fairness though, there are a lot of Michigan transplants in Texas...and a lot of them will cheer for the Stars except when the Wings are in town.
reunion arena translated well on TV.. it seemed loud and snug. The AAC just seems to be way too big to me. Its hard to trap atmosphere in it.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 01:58 AM
BourqueBourqueBork

Quote:
Lol, I highly doubt there were more Philly fans, maybe Chicago fans.

I didn't hear any chants besides the "were gonna beat the hell out of you" after you scored, very classy. You completely butchered Halaks name too, making all the fans at the game look like complete idiots, not to mention the idiots around us that sound punching a guy in the face is part of the game.

Wait, how are we "classless?" Because we sang during the National Anthem?
I was at the other games, you dumbass. Were you? You "highly doubt" there were more Philly fans.....based on?

I'm not sure why you think Halak's name was "butchered"...but whatever. Being called an idiot by a Blues fan isn't all that insulting. It's like the kid on the short bus trying to make fun of you. It's so sad, you really just feel sorry for them.

You "sang" during the National Anthem? I don't have a problem with that. I have a problem with adding "home of the BLOWS" to the end of the Anthem. Die in a fire, you Commie ****s.

Quote:
Why you so mad? I don't hate Nashville or anything because they've given me no reason too as they haven't really done much or been in the league long enough for me to hate them. I just made a comment about my visit to your arena, that the fans weren't very loud or knowledgeable.
We haven't been in the league long enough for you to hate us? LMFAO. Ok. Keep trying to put us down and "little brother" us. I don't care, as long as we continue to kick your ass.

And our fans aren't loud? We're louder than Blows fans. They aren't knowledgeable? We're smarter than Blows fans.

Kiss our collective *****.