HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Top Five Crowds in the NHL?

Old
01-23-2012, 04:53 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutdown Sutter View Post
MeleeRay is a troll, but Carolina is really massively underrated as far as this goes.

I'm pretty sure we still hold the decibel record set in 06, but I may be wrong on that.

Yeah, ignore MeleeRay. For whatever reason, he enjoys making Carolina fans look bad. That being said, attendance doesn't mean jack in terms of crowd. In fact, if a small crowd can make a lot of noise (as is the case in Winnipeg), doesn't that mean it's more admirable?

Carolina's crowd gets loud when they have something to cheer about. Unfortunately, the team on the ice rarely gives the crowd that opportunity. They've shown they can be loud in the playoffs, and there are a couple YouTube videos out there of regular season games that the crowd got behind:

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 04:56 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPGNYRFan View Post
You've had a hate on for Winnipeg since it was announced that they were coming back, so people should take your opinion with a big grain of salt. As for people saying we're only the loudest because we have a small arena, I'm pretty sure that if we had a bigger arena with a few thousand more people we'd still be among the loudest. As for the novelty factor people, I'm thinking that if the crowds were going to die down due to the novelty wearing off, it would have started by now, we are over halfway done the season after all. I don't know if we are the loudest or not, but we sure have fun and that's good enough for me! I'm going to be a loud and proud STH for life, no matter how good or bad the team plays!
Feel free to refute anything that I actually said.

Half a season isn't going to remove the "novelty" factor. Hell, Columbus' attendance didn't start to suffer until about the 8th year, and that was after a lockout and with no playoff appearances.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 04:57 PM
mkoivu9*

vCash: 2710
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EDM14OIL91 View Post
The inside looks nice, but the outside likes like a spaceship.

mkoivu9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 05:04 PM
Q Continuum
The trial never ends

vCash: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoivu9 View Post
The inside looks nice, but the outside likes like a spaceship.
It all looks stupid.

And that sky terrace is stupid as well. Someone will fall off that thing and then we'll look stupid.

All the guys saying we'll be the envy of the league are full of it. ****s will continue to not be given by anyone other than Oilers fans with delusions of grandeur.

Q Continuum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 05:09 PM
mkoivu9*

vCash: 2710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten Oil View Post
It all looks stupid.

And that sky terrace is stupid as well. Someone will fall off that thing and then we'll look stupid.

All the guys saying we'll be the envy of the league are full of it. ****s will continue to not be given by anyone other than Oilers fans with delusions of grandeur.
I dont know, Minnesota and Columbus are similar to Edmonton in that all three are "fly-over country" yet MN and Columbus are considered the crown jewels of arenas.

Last edited by mkoivu9*: 01-23-2012 at 05:17 PM.
mkoivu9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 05:10 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

I'm not a fan of the Canes, but they got great fans.

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 05:16 PM
dynasty3

Montrel
Wpg
Philly
San jose
Chi town

Calgary shouldnt be top 5 though. Not even top 10, unless one is a homer vote. With the exception of playoffs, the building is quiet, although every rink is loud during the playoffs. A very Conservative city, quiet crowd, quiet building for the most part. The only time calgary fans have been loud was for a few years after the 04 run. Other than that, there is a reason why it was nicknamed the library for so many years.

Last edited by dynasty3: 01-23-2012 at 05:24 PM.
dynasty3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 05:17 PM
tntkid

The Mts centre has been a real fun & loud building to watch home games.
The fans really get together & show support for the Jets & the players really feed off of it.

The Phoenix & Anaheim games were insane with a play off atmosphere.

The goalie , go jets go & true north chants have been really loud.

tntkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 05:27 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntkid View Post
The Mts centre has been a real fun & loud building to watch home games.
The fans really get together & show support for the Jets & the players really feed off of it.

The Phoenix & Anaheim games were insane with a play off atmosphere.

The goalie , go jets go & true north chants have been really loud.
anaheim was dead last playoffs against nashville except for the goals and big plays

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 05:28 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Having one of the worst home records in the league, the bell centre has been relatively quiet this year. The Jets seem to have the most electric atmosphere. Combine nhl starved fans with a small barn, and you got yourself a nuthouse.

On the other end of the spectrum, I was watching the leafs/habs in toronto, and it sounded like you could hear a pin drop... it reminded me of a funeral.

Carolina and San Jose are also loud but I also think that has alot to do with the way those rinks are built. They trap alot of noise.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 05:31 PM
Lshap

Winnipeg fans are fantastic. And I say this as a Montrealer. Yes, my city has intensely passionate fans, but Winnipeg has the deeper appreciation that comes after you lose what you love... then get it back.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 05:37 PM
David McConnor
Unregistered User

vCash: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemic View Post

This isn't that impressive, to be honest. But, I agree, Toronto is awesome during the playoffs.
Except, you're not being honest because nobody wants to admit that Toronto is the best at anything. It's much "cooler" to say Montreal, I get it.

David McConnor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 05:40 PM
Nicko999

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCsmyth View Post
Yep, Winnipeg is only loud because of the size of the arena - nothing to do with the fans bringing it for 60 minutes
I like the Jets and their fans, but nobody can compete with Montreal when it comes to the crowd and atmosphere.

Jets are second though.

Nicko999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 06:05 PM
tuozzi

Were the Jets as noisy the last time around, or is part of the enthusiasm due to getting the team back?

tuozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 06:09 PM
BeastinB's

Send a message via AIM to BeastinB's
Its hard to say if you've never been to the arena personally IMO. Watching on TV doesn't give you even half the experience or noise you'd get. And the channels/feeds all have different acoustics/levels for their crowd noise and other things..

Any team in the playoffs will have a rockin arena.

Montreal easily takes this without a doubt..WPG is very close behind but its their first season back so we'll see if it continues being so electric.

I'd say Boston is top 10...sometimes the crowds can be dull but with high ticket prices a lot of the true fans can't afford to go....same problem with a lot of places...economy in Detroit affects a lot of fans for coming out too.

EDM was awesome in the 06 playoffs..so was Carolina..

I've only been to...Boston, NJ, NY, PHI to take in a game so I'm not going to try to post like I know everything from a broadcast..Live is a whole different experience.

BeastinB's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 06:19 PM
IDuck

im pretty sure EVERY crowd is loud come PO's...i have been to numerous PO games at honda center and it gets loud, and i have been at been to angels PO games where it was loud (those damn thunder sticks), but i remember honda center being so loud that i couldnt hear myslef talk.....not saying the ducks have a good crowd but that many people in ANY building that are screaming is going to be loud....as far as reg. season i dont know top about top 5 but WPG, MTL, BOS, and CHI always seem to have a good crowd among others but those just stand out to me for some reason...i would probably throw TOR in there too

IDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 06:20 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
Yep. Edmonton in the playoffs is rediculously loud. Someone should post the video of the time the crowd drowned out the anthem signer so he just the mic to the crowd. Teams mimick it all the time now but that time it was totally unplanned and just a special moment in Canadian history.
Vancouver and their anthem singer were the first to do it actually

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 06:21 PM
PhillyBluesFan

The Philly crowd during the Hextall years were the best ever

PhillyBluesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 06:22 PM
Kagee*

Montreal their hilarious, they'll cheer and boo their team all in the same game, but one of the loudest for sure.

Kagee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 06:22 PM
IDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastinB's View Post
Its hard to say if you've never been to the arena personally IMO. Watching on TV doesn't give you even half the experience or noise you'd get. And the channels/feeds all have different acoustics/levels for their crowd noise and other things..

Any team in the playoffs will have a rockin arena.

Montreal easily takes this without a doubt..WPG is very close behind but its their first season back so we'll see if it continues being so electric.

I'd say Boston is top 10...sometimes the crowds can be dull but with high ticket prices a lot of the true fans can't afford to go....same problem with a lot of places...economy in Detroit affects a lot of fans for coming out too.

EDM was awesome in the 06 playoffs..so was Carolina..

I've only been to...Boston, NJ, NY, PHI to take in a game so I'm not going to try to post like I know everything from a broadcast..Live is a whole different experience.
agree completly...i have hear it all the time from people who where at the game... i watch on TV and say to them "crowd was dead tonight" and i will get a response of "it was actually really loud tonight".

IDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 06:24 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Most intimidating fans in hockey as voted by the players.

Philly.

It can get pretty reckless, especially come playoff time. Sometimes it's hard for the players to hear the whistles.

Montreal seems pretty bonkers.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 06:25 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lime View Post
Except, you're not being honest because nobody wants to admit that Toronto is the best at anything. It's much "cooler" to say Montreal, I get it.
Probably because the crowd at leaf games sucks in general. It's empty at the start and end of periods. The real fans of Toronto are rarely there.

Theyve got nothing in the playoffs in terms of crowds to MTL

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 06:27 PM
JBIZ14

Winnipeg
Montreal
San Jose
Chicago
Nashville

JBIZ14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 06:29 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1991 View Post
As a Bruins fan, I appreciate and agree that you consider us top 5, but we're not number 1 if I'm interpreting this the right way. I wish I could say we were, but Montreal has the best crowd in Hockey.
Took like...6 posts and a Bruins fan to be the first to say this. Cheers.

That being said in the last few years, Boston crowds have been pretty rowdy. While this season, at least lately, the Bell Center sounds like the ACC.

But as for the Bell Center, you gotta be there to experience it. It's a very compact arena with a lot of people packed into it.

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 06:29 PM
David McConnor
Unregistered User

vCash: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Probably because the crowd at leaf games sucks in general. It's empty at the start and end of periods. The real fans of Toronto are rarely there.
Except, I wasn't talking about in general. I specified playoffs, and nobody comes close to Toronto crowds in playoffs.

David McConnor is online now   Reply With Quote