HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oilers vs Sharks (Please, not in the face!)

Closed Thread

Old
01-23-2012, 02:57 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
hopefully we can at least make it interesting...

Old
01-23-2012, 03:14 PM
Gord
Go Esks!

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugeegosorry View Post
Thats what happens when you're not busy complaining about how much your team sucks.
there should never be more effort put into a GDT than the Oilers put in during a game.

Old
01-23-2012, 03:25 PM
vespa99

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibumi View Post
I honestly believe that the best outcome for tonights game is a blowout loss for the Oilers. Force the senior management to make a change. And send Horcoff either to the minors or a trade if that is even possible at this point. Then give the C to Hall. He can't be the captain as long as Horcoff is still here. It would cause too much of a rift in the room.
Why? The season is lost. What good does it do to send Horc to the minors at this point and with several years left on his contract. As for a trade you can trade horc easily...... as long as you are willing to throw Hall, Eberle or the Nuge into the deal. And as much as I love Hall it is a little early to be making him captain.

Old
01-23-2012, 03:27 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SometimesY View Post
thank you for the GDT IATL.

Well we shuffled the AHL players in the bottom six again so that should work.

Actually I really like Petrell and Hartikainen.

If we want to get rid of Horcoff we have to sit him in the pressbox, strip the c, give him less ice time, and put him in the bottom six. He will beg for a trade. If we want to keep him, well then, carry on Renney.
This is totally correct. He would not go to any other team at this point in time because he'd be on the 3rd or 4th line so quick it would make your head spin.

Old
01-23-2012, 03:32 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
This is totally correct. He would not go to any other team at this point in time because he'd be on the 3rd or 4th line so quick it would make your head spin.
Our management would look REALLY bad if we stripped our captain of the C and sat him in the pressbox until he accepted a trade...

Old
01-23-2012, 03:46 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Our management would look REALLY bad if we stripped our captain of the C and sat him in the pressbox until he accepted a trade...
I can't see any team trading for Horcoff, so that will never happen.

Old
01-23-2012, 03:55 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I can't see any team trading for Horcoff, so that will never happen.
After next season, a team like the Isles might so Wang can save 4 million (his salary is lower than his caphit in the last 2 years)

Old
01-23-2012, 04:12 PM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

I'm going to lower my expectations to "please don't lose by a converted touchdown to the Sharks tonight"

Old
01-23-2012, 04:13 PM
Gord
Go Esks!

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
I'm going to lower my expectations to "please don't lose by a converted touchdown to the Sharks tonight"
I'm just wondering what snide comment Thornton is going to make after the sharks kick the Oilers butts.

Old
01-23-2012, 04:15 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Yup, that's why there is no way it will ever happen and why this management group may very well fail in the end. You have to do the right thing for the team even if you don't want to at times.

Old
01-23-2012, 04:18 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Yup, that's why there is no way it will ever happen and why this management group may very well fail in the end. You have to do the right thing for the team even if you don't want to at times.
and doing what's right is making people not want to sign here long term? or at all even?

Old
01-23-2012, 04:20 PM
Njoy Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseradish View Post
Well the pressure from the fanbase is officially on. Are they going to come out again, like against LA, and please us right when they're on the brink of being blasted into oblivion by every fan and media member, whereby said partisans will no longer oppose, but rather grin at the pathetic-ness of it all, groan, nod, and yes, join the laughingstock army of rival teams' fans and hockey media circles? Or are they going to confirm our suspicions, spiral to a further depth of awful, and we see some kind of rash move either by a management-type, coach, or player...and of course, see our fanbase and media finally largely cross that threshold into laughing along with all of our naysayers.

Cuz I can't really imagine any other scenarios. Even HoF writers who usually serve as team lapdogs in Jones and Matheson have been giving this team the gears of late and starting to ask some tough questions. That's unprecedented in these parts-- those guys didn't even lambaste the team for the Barker signing, the pathetic way they dealt with Souray, JFJ playing on the first line...they didn't even raise a stink when Toby Peterson was on our first line PP, when Georges Laraque and the team both agreed that he would be able to handle third-line checking duties and put in upwards of 40 points (hence trading off an 'unnecessary' commodity in Grier. Hell, they barely raised an eyebrow when Lowe botched Comrie's situation and trade(s) so badly and unprofessionally that he tried to get Comrie to pay money to be traded. I can't remember the last time both of these guys DID make a stink-- I suspect it was during Arnott's last days here when he essentially said he wasn't playing his hardest, in addition to knocking up a young girl shortly prior. So this could get verrrrry interesting.

It looks as though they're saddling up their war horses over this one, anyway. And rightly effing so. It's been a long time since anybody not from TEAM radio in the city's media has said anything critical of value...well, actually, that's not true, Dan Barnesy used to be fantastic at it, but since he moved up to the Journal Editorial Board, there has been a major void in critical voices from the city's print media.
You might be able to sell this post to Readers Digest, for condenced version of the book.

Old
01-23-2012, 04:21 PM
SometimesY

What will the mind/lip readers see tonight from Hall?

" __________"

Old
01-23-2012, 04:28 PM
Hemsky4PM

Would anyone be irrate if the Oilers dealt Horcoff for Gomez from the Habs? Gomez has been horrid this season and last, but before that was a legit top 2 center and scored:

58 (2009-2010)
84PTS (2005-2006)

He's a $7.357M cap hit. 2 years left. 5.5M and 4.5M respectively.

Horcoff is a $5.5M cap hit. Horcoff is $6M, 4M and 3M over the next 3 seasons. So the cash over the next two seasons is identicle. Horcoff has the extra year and of course the Habs would save nearly $2M in cap space for the next two years.

Horcoff for Gomez and a 3th round pick? Worth it?

Old
01-23-2012, 04:28 PM
SometimesY

Quote:
and doing what's right is making people not want to sign here long term? or at all even?
I was suggesting (in an over the top way) that if the captain was used to his skill level, he would probably waive his clause. He will never waive it when he is being catered to, other players will know if this is correct or not. Not everyone agrees with this of course.

Old
01-23-2012, 04:32 PM
bellagiobob

11-2 Sharks, with 6 empty netters. Hall and Eberle beat Renney senseless with their sticks after the game, and are suspended for the rest of the year by the Oilers. Renney is given a five year extension for his positive demeanor and his always trying to win attitude.

Old
01-23-2012, 04:32 PM
Futon

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilphan View Post
All I have to say is that if Pitt can stay in the race sans Crosby, Stall, and Letang most of the year as well as Malkin for stretches, then we have no excuse.
It's called depth, we have none.

Old
01-23-2012, 04:33 PM
Futon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellagiobob View Post
11-2 Sharks, with 6 empty netters. Hall and Eberle beat Renney senseless with their sticks after the game, and are suspended for the rest of the year by the Oilers. Renney is given a five year extension for his positive demeanor and his always trying to win attitude.

Old
01-23-2012, 04:35 PM
TheBusDriver
Private Eyes

Our bottom 6 is terrible except Jones and maybe Harti.

Old
01-23-2012, 04:35 PM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
Would anyone be irrate if the Oilers dealt Horcoff for Gomez from the Habs? Gomez has been horrid this season and last, but before that was a legit top 2 center and scored:

58 (2009-2010)
84PTS (2005-2006)

Horcoff is a $5.5M cap hit. Horcoff is $6M, 4M and 3M over the next 3 seasons. So the cash over the next two seasons is identicle. Horcoff has the extra year and of course the Habs would save nearly $2M in cap space for the next two years.

Interesting, but I think we pass because Horcoff has stretches, or moments, of brilliance like the OT pass in the Kings game. Gomez wouldnt do that

Old
01-23-2012, 04:42 PM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 1206
Quote:

58 (2009-2010)
84PTS (2005-2006)

I'd probably do it, two years of Gomez as opposed to three years of Horc. Plus if we ship off our Captain we wouldn't have to strip him to give Hall the C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellagiobob View Post
lol post of the thread right here.

"We want 10!"
"We want 10!"

Old
01-23-2012, 04:45 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
lol, the oilers have already done that for years, it's a little late for that kind of rehab. As for Horcoff, he should be press boxed because he is flat out terrible and deserves to be press boxed not because of any grand scheme to make him lift his nmc.

Old
01-23-2012, 04:46 PM
Beerfish

Quote:

58 (2009-2010)
84PTS (2005-2006)

Nope, we have to follow the sensibilities of our non biased media and not make that deal if it was Horcoff for Gomez and Montreals 1st round pick.

Old
01-23-2012, 04:48 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge for Nuge View Post
Interesting, but I think we pass because Horcoff has stretches, or moments, of brilliance like the OT pass in the Kings game. Gomez wouldnt do that
micro moments = his brilliance
Stretches = his awful play.

Old
01-23-2012, 05:04 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge for Nuge View Post
Wow, I mean, we couldn't possibly live without those "moments of brilliance". The ones that happen once every dozen games or so. The ones that separate huge stretches of nothing. The ones that secure our playoff position every year.

Give up 4 more years of that to instead get an underperformer like Gomez? Yuck! Especially a player whose contract only lasts 2 more years after this season, which would dovetail in nicely with renewals coming up for the kids? What nonsense.

Closed Thread