HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

6th in the East is ideal

Old
01-23-2012, 08:32 AM
Pitlick*

vCash: 500
6th in the East is ideal

Our best chance in the 1st round would be against Florida, then Winnipeg, then Washington; whoever wins the Southeast.

I want nothing to do with Pittsburgh in a 4-5 matchup. Philly would be okay, I suppose. They are a very good team, but having Cechmanek or Leighton or whoever their starting goalie is right now hinders them greatly.

I think we have a great shot of finshing 6th. Pittsburgh has rediscovered its game, Malkin is in god mode, I think they finish ahead of us for sure. Philly is powerhouse like at times so I think they end up 4-5. As long as we can fend off the Devils, or one of the other teams if it catches fire we will end up 6th I think.

Pitlick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 08:39 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

I agree... if you're not going to finish top-3 in the conference, the next best spot to be in is 6th.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 08:40 AM
Sens Rule

Personally I think 1st in Eastern Conference is most ideal. It is actually possible if improbable.

We have no idea who will finish anywhere in the East. 6th looks good as you face the 3rd which is very likely winner of the SE. But so what? I want a multiple round playoffs.. to do it we need to beat a good team or two.

I want home ice for as many series as possible so 4th or 1st seems to be where I want to finish... regardless if we finish 8th I'll be happy as long as we play in the playoffs.

Sens Rule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 08:42 AM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensjersey11 View Post
I agree... if you're not going to finish top-3 in the conference, the next best spot to be in is 6th.
Except you won't get home ice in round two or three. If we play Flyers, Pens etc in round two I'd rather have home ice. 4th or 1st is better. 4th being most realistic.

Old
01-23-2012, 08:44 AM
Shanny
Coming In Hot

Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 09:14 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Rule View Post
Except you won't get home ice in round two or three. If we play Flyers, Pens etc in round two I'd rather have home ice. 4th or 1st is better. 4th being most realistic.
4th place is usually a powerhouse team... the best team not to win their division. While we COULD be the 4th place team, I don't think it's very likely.

I just don't see us keeping up with Philly (especially if they make a big splash at the deadline like everyone is expecting them to), and 6th is WAY better than 5th... you get to beat up on the weak divisional winner, and avoid a team in 4th that by all rights would be 2nd or 3rd if the standings did not award divisional winners and went strictly on points.

I think I always see the 4-vs-5 playoff series as really taking it's toll on both teams. They're usually the most physically taxing of the series.

Fact: since 2003, the 6th seeded team has moved past the 1st round of the playoffs as many times as the 4th seed.

Old
01-23-2012, 09:15 AM
guyzeur

vCash: 50
Quote:
Personally I think 1st in Eastern Conference is most ideal. It is actually possible if improbable.

We have no idea who will finish anywhere in the East. 6th looks good as you face the 3rd which is very likely winner of the SE. But so what? I want a multiple round playoffs.. to do it we need to beat a good team or two.

I want home ice for as many series as possible so 4th or 1st seems to be where I want to finish... regardless if we finish 8th I'll be happy as long as we play in the playoffs.
The best position to finish in the Eastern Conference is 2nd, available only for the Atlantic division:

You don't have to meet Boston until the 3rd round.

1st round: 7th ranked team

2nd round: winner of 3rd or 6th ranked team assuming Boston wins.
3rd (Washington or Florida) or 6th (New Jersey or Sens)

guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 09:16 AM
Penner getrdonebryan

What makes you think we can beat Washington ? they kind of beat us every time. Now a Florida or Winnipeg sounds quite good, you really don't know about the Caps they haven't been consistent for a while now

Penner getrdonebryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 09:49 AM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

We probably could have taken Pittsburgh in 09 if we had a healthy team.

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 09:59 AM
pepty

vCash: 492
Agree that 6th is best for us.

No matter where we end up though it will be great just to get back into the post season.

We used to take it for granted and were so blase about it-but being out of the playoffs was no fun.

Even getting chucked out after the 6 games with the Penguins last time gave us that great 5th game that went into 3 overtimes and was the game of Leclairs life and probably the high point of Carkners career.And a great game for Sens fans even though we didnt make it into the next round.

So hang in for the rest of the season boys, and give us some playoff hockey again.

pepty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 10:00 AM
Afro Thunder*

I would like to avoid Pitts (They are getting healthier and dangerous) and Boston, somewhat Washington as well ( We always suck against them).

Afro Thunder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 10:03 AM
Sens Rule

Quote:
4th place is usually a powerhouse team... the best team not to win their division. While we COULD be the 4th place team, I don't think it's very likely.

I just don't see us keeping up with Philly (especially if they make a big splash at the deadline like everyone is expecting them to), and 6th is WAY better than 5th... you get to beat up on the weak divisional winner, and avoid a team in 4th that by all rights would be 2nd or 3rd if the standings did not award divisional winners and went strictly on points.

I think I always see the 4-vs-5 playoff series as really taking it's toll on both teams. They're usually the most physically taxing of the series.

Fact: since 2003, the 6th seeded team has moved past the 1st round of the playoffs as many times as the 4th seed.
Why are we not a powerhouse team? As the Eastern Conference is made up now?

We are a playoff team now.. but why are Philly or the Rangers or the Pens better than us? We could easily finish 4th.

Old
01-23-2012, 10:05 AM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Swedish Flash View Post
What makes you think we can beat Washington ? they kind of beat us every time. Now a Florida or Winnipeg sounds quite good, you really don't know about the Caps they haven't been consistent for a while now
Wasington is the easy match up now... if we are ahead or behind them in the standings.

Boston is scariest
Penguins are scary if Malkin continues his pace and they are healthy save Crosby.

Rangers, Flyers, Caps, Devils etc do not scare me much.

Old
01-23-2012, 10:18 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Why are we not a powerhouse team? As the Eastern Conference is made up now?

We are a playoff team now.. but why are Philly or the Rangers or the Pens better than us? We could easily finish 4th.
Because they all have enough offensive depth to really be able to withstand a major injury (as the Penguins have emphatically demonstrated). I doubt we could keep pace with one of our big-3 shelved for a while.

We are winning a TON of one-goal games this year, and have an amazing overtime record. It's WELL above what statistical averages would deem as regular, and it's not likely to be sustainable.

Not saying we can't finish 4th, but the odds are not in our favor, especially if both the Flyers and Pens add big pieces down the stretch to help their playoff chances.

I'd rather face the Caps in a 3-6 matchup than either the Flyers or the Pens (if Crosby comes back for the playoffs) in a 4-5 matchup.

Old
01-23-2012, 10:41 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Because they all have enough offensive depth to really be able to withstand a major injury (as the Penguins have emphatically demonstrated). I doubt we could keep pace with one of our big-3 shelved for a while.

We are winning a TON of one-goal games this year, and have an amazing overtime record. It's WELL above what statistical averages would deem as regular, and it's not likely to be sustainable.

Not saying we can't finish 4th, but the odds are not in our favor, especially if both the Flyers and Pens add big pieces down the stretch to help their playoff chances.

I'd rather face the Caps in a 3-6 matchup than either the Flyers or the Pens (if Crosby comes back for the playoffs) in a 4-5 matchup.
The Pens are playing well now but for a while they were not doing well and were on the outside of the play offs another big injury to them could really be costly and could mean no play offs for them.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 10:43 AM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

Florida would be an easy win in the playoffs.

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 10:46 AM
SelleckStache

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Waffler View Post
Florida would be an easy win in the playoffs.
But, all those rats could cause voodoo

SelleckStache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 10:53 AM
Northern Neighbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
The Pens are playing well now but for a while they were not doing well and were on the outside of the play offs another big injury to them could really be costly and could mean no play offs for them.
The same could be said of any team. The Sens have been extremely fortunate to have not had any long-term injuries to their top players this season. The Penguins have had Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Neal, Letang, and Fleury all in the starting lineup for only a few games yet they're still battling for a top-4 playoff seed. That's pretty impressive.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 10:55 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Well, another big injury to the Penguins would be their 117th "big injury" of the year, it seems. The fact that they are even where they are right now is a testament to their depth and just how good a coach Dan Bylsma is (as well as how good Malkin is, he's been on an absolute TEAR this year).

Imagine this team when everyone on their roster is 100% healthy.

Scary.

Old
01-23-2012, 10:57 AM
Northern Neighbour

Quote:
Wasington is the easy match up now... if we are ahead or behind them in the standings.

Boston is scariest
Penguins are scary if Malkin continues his pace and they are healthy save Crosby.

Rangers, Flyers, Caps, Devils etc do not scare me much.
Washington is starting to play well, and they're playing with an edge. They've tightened up defensively while Ovechkin and Semin are starting to score. Once they get Backstrom and Green back, they could be dangerous. I could see them go on a run down the stretch and get hot at the right time.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 11:04 AM
tony d
The franchise

I wouldn't want the 6th seed if Washington is the #3 seed but if it's Florida or Winnipeg then it wouldn't be as much of a worry.

01-23-2012, 11:09 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
I wouldn't want the 6th seed if Washington is the #3 seed but if it's Florida or Winnipeg then it wouldn't be as much of a worry.
I would be more worried about Florida then Washington.

Old
01-23-2012, 11:16 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Well, another big injury to the Penguins would be their 117th "big injury" of the year, it seems. The fact that they are even where they are right now is a testament to their depth and just how good a coach Dan Bylsma is (as well as how good Malkin is, he's been on an absolute TEAR this year).

Imagine this team when everyone on their roster is 100% healthy.

Scary.
I don't know if i would say they would be scary if they were 100% healthy over the past couple years they seem to play better when there missing a couple key players now if you get a couple more key player out that may start to be a issue.

Old
01-23-2012, 11:29 AM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Swedish Flash View Post
Yeah, any time the most likely team in 3rd is Washington, 6th is not ideal. 4th, 5th, or 7th would be better.

Quote:
I would be more worried about Florida then Washington.
We always do well against Florida.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 11:49 AM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 1322
In my opinion Boston is the scariest, then NYR, then Phillie, then Pit, then NJ, then Wsh, then Flo, then Wpg, then Tor. I don't think any other teams really have a chance to make the playoffs

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote