Notices

2011-12 Prospect Thread II

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2012, 02:51 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
as long as they have a twitter feed and post links to their articles I'll read them as much as I read Russo. Minnesotans are definitely provincial. I don't know...you expect loyalty in some areas (I remember Georgians being very loyal to Coke, detroit to American cars, etc) but from the places i've lived Minnesotans (generally speaking) don't shift around as much as other people in restaurants, new beers, cereal, etc. naturally quite a few people do experiment but Minnesotans in general are a "i like this, so i'm sticking with it" group. more so than anywhere else I've lived anyway.

I wouldn't mind more coverage of the Wild as long as whoever is doing it doesn't go all Adrian Dater on us. But good point about the PP vs. Strib. I know people who won't touch the other one for whatever reason. again...the loyalty thing.

Old
02-24-2012, 10:15 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
Let's play "guess the propsect!"

Height 5'11
Weight 197

Age 20
SEL - 47gp 15g 46pts
WJC - 7gp 3g 5pts

Age 21
SEL - 48gp 10g 32pts

Scouting Report:

...agile skater with impressive overall skill in all departments. He possesses phenomenal hockey sense which he uses to his advantage in all situations. He has soft hands and can stickhandle through traffic in high speed. Although not possessing a large frame, he is a very strong and well balanced player who is hard to knock of the puck. He understands the role he playes as a center and takes care of his defensive duties as well. With his phenomenal hockey sense, playmaking ability and imagination he has the ability to quarterback a power play with ease. He has also shown that he can perform well in key situations and key games on manny occasions. He will need to work on his shot and use it more often, but that will come as he adjusts to the North American style.

Old
02-24-2012, 10:26 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
the agile part throws me.

Old
02-24-2012, 10:37 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post

Height 5'11
Weight 197

Age 20
SEL - 47gp 15g 46pts
WJC - 7gp 3g 5pts

Age 21
SEL - 48gp 10g 32pts

Scouting Report:

...agile skater with impressive overall skill in all departments. He possesses phenomenal hockey sense which he uses to his advantage in all situations. He has soft hands and can stickhandle through traffic in high speed. Although not possessing a large frame, he is a very strong and well balanced player who is hard to knock of the puck. He understands the role he playes as a center and takes care of his defensive duties as well. With his phenomenal hockey sense, playmaking ability and imagination he has the ability to quarterback a power play with ease. He has also shown that he can perform well in key situations and key games on manny occasions. He will need to work on his shot and use it more often, but that will come as he adjusts to the North American style.
/guessed in the other thread before you moved the post

Old
02-24-2012, 02:21 PM
mikko1995

Quote:

Height 5'11
Weight 197

Age 20
SEL - 47gp 15g 46pts
WJC - 7gp 3g 5pts

Age 21
SEL - 48gp 10g 32pts

Scouting Report:

Could it possibly be Henrik Zetterberg? He's the only 5'11'' Swedish player I remember off the top of my head, and that scouting report seems somewhat accurate to what I think of him.

Old
02-24-2012, 02:25 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Sure enough.

Larsson strikes me as exactly the kind of guy Detroit drafts and nobody hears about until he's a star player in the league. Zetterberg seems to have had a better scouting report and more offensive flair but he didn't hit the SEL until a couple years later than Larsson and put up similar numbers.

Larsson stats:

Height: 5'10
Weight: 196

Age 19:
SEL 43gp 4g 8pts
WJC 6gp 1g 4pts

Age 20:
SEL 44gp 10g 34pts
WJC 6gp 0g 6pts

Not bad.

Old
02-24-2012, 07:12 PM
MagnumForce

Who are the Wild's top 10 prospects in order? Thanks

Old
02-24-2012, 07:30 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForce View Post
Who are the Wild's top 10 prospects in order? Thanks
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1115489

Old
02-24-2012, 07:40 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Goes without saying but Zucker's on NBC Sports Net tonight at 9 and Haula's on FSN+.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
02-25-2012, 09:57 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

I have a feeling Haula and Cuma won't ever see a day in a Minnesota uniform. Haula is just buried and Cuma needs to start over somewhere.

Old
02-27-2012, 03:12 AM
MN_Gopher

Haula is very quielty catching Bjugstad in the points race. Off by one point. Less games, by 2. I would much rather have Rau and Buddish over Hansen and Warning. Haula will be best served staying next year and maybe his senior year. Contend for the hobey and raise his stock.

Old
02-27-2012, 09:46 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Do players who play college 3-4 years have any track record of success in the NHL? Especially forwards?

Updated table with my data retriever. Took 10 seconds. Seems to be working but let me know if there are issues.

Old
02-27-2012, 09:50 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Do players who play college 3-4 years have any track record of success in the NHL? Especially forwards?

Updated table with my data retriever. Took 10 seconds. Seems to be working but let me know if there are issues.
If anyone had that data, it would be pretty hard to control for the fact that the high end talents often leave school early, and only the lesser talents end up staying in the first place.

Old
02-27-2012, 10:15 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
If anyone had that data, it would be pretty hard to control for the fact that the high end talents often leave school early, and only the lesser talents end up staying in the first place.
Well that's my point...usually if you're talented enough to play pro hockey, you play pro hockey. You don't want to give up 1-2 years of making pro money to stick around in college if you can hack it.

Old
02-27-2012, 10:20 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:

Wheeler is only one I name off the top of my head.

I don't think 3 years is anything to be worried about, especially if there is continual improvement. Are we going to think less of Zucker if he doesn't turn pro this year?

In Haula's case, I don't think we should write off his potential until he has a setback in his development. Even if he plays 4 years of college and 1-2 in the AHL, he can still become a very serviceable player for us.

Old
02-27-2012, 10:25 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Well that's my point...usually if you're talented enough to play pro hockey, you play pro hockey. You don't want to give up 1-2 years of making pro money to stick around in college if you can hack it.
I meant "high end" more as "picked in the early rounds of the draft." I would imagine the guys who spend 3+ years are later draft picks, and should probably be graded on that curve instead. I think I have a quick (non-random) way of trying to pick out a few names so I'll see what I can find.

Old
02-27-2012, 10:27 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

I personally think Haula is a pretty good candidate to not be signed at all whenever he does decide to leave the U. That's even if he's still Wild property whenever that time comes...

I do believe he should likely stay in school all four years.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
02-27-2012, 10:40 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Creating a partial list of some 3+ year college players:

Gardiner - Defense
McDonagh - Defense
Shattenkirk - Defense
Braun - Defense

That's what I've seen through 2007 and 2008. Looks like a bit of a trend.

Old
02-27-2012, 10:49 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I don't think it matters either way development-wise if he stays there or not. He's not getting worse, but he's not playing a lot of games and against pro players. And there might not be enough spots for him to play in Houston this year.

If he's not traded, playing at the U another season would be good, especially if they are going to be in the big dance this year and next. Then come into Housty when guys like Coyle, Larsson, Bulmer, and others come up.

Old
02-27-2012, 11:00 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Creating a partial list of some 3+ year college players:

Gardiner - Defense
McDonagh - Defense
Shattenkirk - Defense
Braun - Defense

That's what I've seen through 2007 and 2008. Looks like a bit of a trend.
Found a couple forwards who are at least fringe NHLers:

Ferriero - C/RW
McIntyre - C

Edit to add: Oshie had 3 years at UND so there's a genuine top 6 player who qualifies.

Old
02-27-2012, 11:02 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Found a couple forwards who are at least fringe NHLers:

Ferriero - C/RW
McIntyre - C

Edit to add: Oshie had 3 years at UND so there's a genuine top 6 player who qualifies.
Wheeler will probably be the best of the bunch.

Edit: nevermind, Oshie. Backes as well.

Old
02-27-2012, 11:04 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
Wheeler will probably be the best of the bunch.
Stastny. 3 years at Denver.

Another I just found, Abdelkader had 3 years at Michigan State. It looks like 2005 was the bumper crop year.

Old
02-27-2012, 10:49 PM
forthewild

nick seeler has taken off it seems he has played 11 games

11gp 2g 6a 8pts +3 not bad after getting traded, man i hope he blooms into a solid top 4 guy

Old
02-27-2012, 10:51 PM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
I have a feeling Haula and Cuma won't ever see a day in a Minnesota uniform. Haula is just buried and Cuma needs to start over somewhere.
both could very well see ice time here, cuma just needs to play people need to quit expecting him to be like scandella and in the nhl he's missed a lot of development time scandy has not, he will get his chance he's still very young and could have a career in the nhl, Haula will have to work for it, he might get a contract he might not, but i doubt GMCF has forgotten about anyone he has drafted.

Old
02-27-2012, 11:05 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1000
I sure hope we keep Haula with the organization. The kid seems to be quietly putting up good numbers, and it's entirely possible he could be a diamond in the rough.

Closed Thread