Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

Gogo extended 4 years / 18.4 mil

Old
01-23-2012, 11:22 AM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Gogo extended 4 years / 18.4 mil

Per https://twitter.com/#!/DallasStars

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 11:25 AM
txomisc

vCash: 500
thats a big contract for Gogo. I think he will earn it but i would liked to have seen something like a 2 year deal at a lower cap hit just to make sure.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 11:29 AM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
This is Goligoski's third contract. It includes two UFA years.

Old
01-23-2012, 11:30 AM
txomisc

next order of business sign Benn and then start trading the dead weight

Old
01-23-2012, 11:32 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 20645
Jesus. I know we're buying out UFA years, but would someone really have thrown a 5 million a year contract at him? I doubt it.

This seems like a defiant doubling-down by Nieuwendyk.

He hasn't even outplayed Daley who he's getting a million more than now.

Does it include an iron-clad NTC too?

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 11:43 AM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Jesus. I know we're buying out UFA years, but would someone really have thrown a 5 million a year contract at him? I doubt it.

he hasnt outplayed daley for half a season but he has outplayed Daley for several seasons. Also Daley is having the best year he has ever had.

Old
01-23-2012, 11:45 AM
ScubaSteve*

I can't wait until Benn holds out this summer and I finally get you all to turn on him.

ScubaSteve* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 11:48 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

Daley has also improved incrementally every year of his career.

Old
01-23-2012, 11:52 AM
Elysian
@AdamBath

vCash: 5355
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
I can't wait until Benn holds out this summer and I finally get you all to turn on him.
@DefendingBigD said a few minutes ago that Nieuwy said Benn negotiations won't resume until summer.

https://twitter.com/#!/DefendingBigD...03072345010177

Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 11:54 AM
Alistar

Quote:

well Gologoski is an interesting player this year for Dallas. He's a guy who the conventional stats say is really struggling in his first full year for the Stars but the advanced metrics (especially those that claim to be representative of possession skills) are all very high on him.

The one area that's really dragging him down is his production on the PP which has been mediocre (by far the worst among all Stars regulars on the PP) but that's heavily influenced by the fact that the team is only shooting 8% while he's on the ice on the man advantage (lowest among all regulars) as opposed to something in the 11-13% range which is more normal for the powerplay. The Stars PP is also just horrible in the first place at generating anything which doesn't help the stat line of a defenceman, who are much more dependant on PP production to rack up points than forwards are.

When you weigh it against contracts that have been awarded to defenceman in recent year I think it comes out looking good for the Stars.

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 11:54 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
@DefendingBigD said a few minutes ago that Nieuwy said Benn negotiations won't resume until summer.

https://twitter.com/#!/DefendingBigD...03072345010177
Yeah, the window has passed to sign Benn on the cheap. It should've been done after training camp. He would be an idiot not to wait until the summer and hold the Stars' feet to the fire. He knows that A) the team is total rubbish without him and B) there's an actual owner with money now. That = $$$.

Old
01-23-2012, 12:07 PM
Elysian
@AdamBath

vCash: 5355
Quote:
Yeah, the window has passed to sign Benn on the cheap. It should've been done after training camp. He would be an idiot not to wait until the summer and hold the Stars' feet to the fire. He knows that A) the team is total rubbish without him and B) there's an actual owner with money now. That = $$$.
Exactly.

Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:07 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Little pricey, but not by much. I'm happy with this.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:08 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Benn is now Rick Nash.

Old
01-23-2012, 12:18 PM
txomisc

what kind of $ are you guys thinking for Benn?

Old
01-23-2012, 12:21 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
what kind of $ are you guys thinking for Benn?
Ideally Eriksson money... with a NMC ASAP. But he'll probably get Ribeiro money... or worse, Gomez money.

Old
01-23-2012, 12:25 PM
Amazing Larry
WE PLAYOFFS NOW

vCash: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
Ideally Eriksson money... with a NMC ASAP. But he'll probably get Ribeiro money... or worse, Gomez money.
So he will want less than Goligoski?
How about no.
He will no doubt be the highest paid player on the Stars.

Amazing Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:29 PM
Alistar

Quote:
well the Stars still have a disproportionate amount of bargaining power thanks to Benn's status as a restricted free agent. His agent should know that 90% of the time when a player holds out for some pie in the sky type deal he ends up getting screwed and signing the original offer made by the team. If he wants to go to the arbitrator I'd be fine with that too. They'd just need to round up ScubaSteve and have him present the case against Jamie Benn and we'd win for sure

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:44 PM
BeaverSports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistar View Post
well the Stars still have a disproportionate amount of bargaining power thanks to Benn's status as a restricted free agent. His agent should know that 90% of the time when a player holds out for some pie in the sky type deal he ends up getting screwed and signing the original offer made by the team. If he wants to go to the arbitrator I'd be fine with that too. They'd just need to round up ScubaSteve and have him present the case against Jamie Benn and we'd win for sure
Benn has the bargaining power of an offer sheet though, so the Stars might as well forget about trying to low ball him and see what they can come up with.

BeaverSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 01:00 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Jesus christ this is overpayment. No way Goligoski should earn more than Eriksson, I don't care if he is a defenseman. I could understand giving him this kind of deal if he were playing up to the level that he played at the end of last season but my god this is about a million too much based on his current level of play. The ONLY saving grace is if Nieuwendyk didn't tack on some ******** no trade clause and had to pay through the nose in order to avoid it.

I'm still not worried about Benn's getting signed this summer but it sets a bad precedent when you overpay internally to sign even your RFA's. I could understand overpaying for Goligoski if he were about to be UFA but you shouldn't have to give this much cash to a defenseman who has had one 40 point season.

Last edited by glovesave_35: 01-23-2012 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Stat correction
glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 01:07 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistar View Post
It's not about who "wins" the signing so much as the organization thinks they have the next franchise player here. I'm not saying to give him whatever he wants (assuming that he asks for the world) but this is really a time to find out if you've got a guy you can build around for the long term. Part of that is finding out their level of commitment to the team and organization. Eriksson took the Jere Lehtinen route and clearly likes playing here. He gave up years of UFA and obvious dollars by signing the contract he does. At the end of the day he's still making good money playing hockey and raising his kid(s) in a good American city during the season and Sweden during the offseason.

Modano always got his money but things never seemed contentious, it was just a matter of hammering out details.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 01:50 PM
Arpi3080
Everybody be cool!

We were a franchise with non bad contracts besides of Pardy. Now we have Goose with 800k-1Mil overpayment and some of you would count Daley.

So if you see Goose's contract, do you still think Daley isn't 3,3Mil$ worth for this and the next five years? Or do you complain about the length?

Arpi3080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 01:56 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

I don't really have a problem with Daley now. He's gotten considerably better this past year. Goligoski needs a bit more of a supporting cast but he's been very useful to the team. He probably skipped a NTC in exchange for more cash. Eriksson has a NTC as soon as his UFA years kick in.

I want to see how these guys do when they have a more talented lineup in front of them here. I know Eriksson can pot 70+ and Goligoski can pot 45+ with the high flying (rimshot) Penguins...

Old
01-23-2012, 02:02 PM
Amazing Larry
WE PLAYOFFS NOW

vCash: 869
"KNOWN CLAUSES: Limited NTC (2013-14 through 2015-16)"

Uh...

Amazing Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 02:19 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undecided View Post
"KNOWN CLAUSES: Limited NTC (2013-14 through 2015-16)"

Uh...
Oh god... well, those are his UFA years. Fantastic.